PL W FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 13 January 2019

Rajma

Shaw needs replacing? Thought he did fine yesterday, after Lindelof he was our best defender.
He's getting caught in no man's land far too often and is not really closing down too well on opposition wingers/FBs as he normally doesn't prevent the crosses from favorable positions giving them acres of space, also attacking-wise doesn't bring enough to the table. He's just about OK imo but against top sides it shows.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
A bit like you got "played with" in the first half yeah? We should have gone in more than a goal up with the break away chances created, Pogba had what 3 key chances in the first 15 minutes of the second half to finis the game off, so before you go around slapping yourself on the back, wind it in a bit.

The last 30 minutes Spurs were absolutely class, high energy bombing forward, created 4/5 good chances in the space of 20 minutes the other shots De Gea stopped were either from distance or comfortable so pipe down a tad.

Ole tactics first half were brilliant, no one not even the great Poch saw that coming, as I say we could have been out of sight after an hour and easily could have lost it towards the end.

Loved the fact we were throwing bodies in front of everything, Lindelof, Herrera were class.

Twice on the bounce at Wembley now, FA Cup Semi and yesterday, not to bad for a side that get toyed with hey.

We got what in the first half? It was pretty even, we scored an offside goal, had a few combinations in the box .. you looked dangerous on the counter but scored your only clear cut chance. How did we get played with? You edged it and probably deserved to lead, but certainly no more than that.

Pogba missed one, at a stretch two clear cut chances all game. I don't know why you're taking it so personally because I said you got played with in the second half, you absolutely did. Your outfield players didn't know what to do with the pressing and intensity, hence why we were carving out chance after chance. Did you create a couple of your own? Absolutely, but we created far more over the course of the 90, anybody can see that.

I know some of the saves De Gea made were comfortable, that's down to poor finishing from us. In particular there were a couple of headers (from kane and Alli) they should be scoring from, on another day Kane has a hattrick. Your first half tactics were solid but pretty obvious, our fullbacks push up high and our two central defenders aren't the fastest whereas you have pace to burn ... of course you're going to play on the counter with a passer like Pogba in the team.

You're a good team, did well to get 3 points, but we shouldn't have lost that yesterday. We can be pleased with a lot of what we did in that second half, but you cannot expect to come away with points if you miss chance after chance.

LoveFootball

Wtf? 3 goals? He had 2 chances, only one of which was 'clear'.

How is it showing fighting spirit to allow your opponent through on goal multiple times, free shots inside the box etc .. etc. De Gea was heroic and our finishing was not clever enough (gave him a chance with all of it), there's no need to conjure up a different narrative, you got three points.

Also, you weren't defending the lead for the last few minutes. We were the better team for the vast majority of the second half, Kane was through on goal midway through it, Alli not that long afterwards. We were sieging you for a long time and got the chances as a result, our only failing was in the finishing department, anybody could see that. On another day we can easily score 4 or 5 .. I mean Kane's through on goal, then he's got a free shot in the box, Alli's through and then later got the whole goal to aim at etc.

If you want to put your win down to the return of SAF style fighting spirit, then whatever, suit yourself.
You were the better team 2nd half, expected as you're a great team and were playing at your own ground and went a goal down just before halftime.

We're a team adapting to a new manager with a very different style from the previous managers who was in place less than a month ago. Beating one of the favorite team at their ground is one thing I didn't think possible a month ago.

StrettyEnder07

We got what in the first half? It was pretty even, we scored an offside goal, had a few combinations in the box .. you looked dangerous on the counter but scored your only clear cut chance. How did we get played with? You edged it and probably deserved to lead, but certainly no more than that.

Pogba missed one, at a stretch two clear cut chances all game. I don't know why you're taking it so personally because I said you got played with in the second half, you absolutely did. Your outfield players didn't know what to do with the pressing and intensity, hence why we were carving out chance after chance. Did you create a couple of your own? Absolutely, but we created far more over the course of the 90, anybody can see that.

I know some of the saves De Gea made were comfortable, that's down to poor finishing from us. In particular there were a couple of headers (from kane and Alli) they should be scoring from, on another day Kane has a hattrick. Your first half tactics were solid but pretty obvious, our fullbacks push up high and our two central defenders aren't the fastest whereas you have pace to burn ... of course you're going to play on the counter with a passer like Pogba in the team.

You're a good team, did well to get 3 points, but we shouldn't have lost that yesterday. We can be pleased with a lot of what we did in that second half, but you cannot expect to come away with points if you miss chance after chance.
Pretty even? You scored an offside goal, well done mate medal is on its way to you, first half tactically and the way we were playing thought we were by far the better side, you had a few moments around the box nothing of worry and had no shots on target, few from outside the box, pretty much nothing, we had three four positions 3 on 2, 2 on 1 we should have done better with but didn't was 1 IMO could and should have been more, my opinion don't get upset.

If you're saying you missed chance after chance then the two Pogba missed are classed as good chances as they were just as good as half of the ones your banging on about. Ali, Kane twice, Llorente, everything else was pretty straight forward, few combinations etc.

Considering we didn't have any other chances in the first half bar the goal and you "played with us" in the second half, we done very very well to have 8 shots on target to your 11, you had what 20+ shots on goal which half of them were wayward.

As I say, for an hour we were the better side then for 30 minutes we tired, Matic looked shot and we didn't have anyone on the bench to bring on to control things, Mata no pace and to lightweight, Fred not experienced enough in the league for that sort of game, Pereira the same so we had to go with what we had and we tired, last half an hour we were hanging on for dear life, for an hour, better team and should have killed it second half through Pogba, same as you should have got a leveler later on.

Agree a point was probably a fair result based on the game, not taking anything personally I'm absolutely buzzing that were 7 points behind now you have Kane injured and Son away for a month, interesting to see where we are in a month's time with the fixtures we have coming up and only Arsenal left to visit away from home this season.

Have to wait until the morning for a reply as only just joined this and only get 3 posts a day!

ArjenIsM3

He's getting caught in no man's land far too often and is not really closing down too well on opposition wingers/FBs as he normally doesn't prevent the crosses from favorable positions giving them acres of space, also attacking-wise doesn't bring enough to the table. He's just about OK imo but against top sides it shows.
Fair enough but he's young enough to improve those areas whilst he's fast, strong and pretty good on the ball. We've way more pressing issues in defence let alone the squad. CB, RB, RW, maybe even CM are more pressing issues than replacing Shaw imho.

Rajma

Fair enough but he's young enough to improve those areas whilst he's fast, strong and pretty good on the ball. We've way more pressing issues in defence let alone the squad. CB, RB, RW, maybe even CM are more pressing issues than replacing Shaw imho.
I agree just pointing out that Shaw definitely can be upgraded on if he doesn't improve.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You were the better team 2nd half, expected as you're a great team and were playing at your own ground and went a goal down just before halftime.

We're a team adapting to a new manager with a very different style from the previous managers who was in place less than a month ago. Beating one of the favorite team at their ground is one thing I didn't think possible a month ago.
Of course. That's a reasonable summary, it's a fecking fantastic result for you and Ole has had a dream start.

It's just that I don't think there's a need to build a false narrative around yesterday's game. It wasn't heroic defending from United, you were there for the taking second half but we failed to capitalise, which is on us. I think in the first half we saw the good work Ole has done, but the second half showed he still has a lot to work on (as expected, it's been six games!) and if you play in a similar fashion in other games, you will inevitably be punished.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Out of interest, a player called Moira (or something), scored 2 goals against us at OT. He basically charged our defence, at will and carved us open like we weren't there.
Did he play yesterday? And if not, why not?

ArjenIsM3

Out of interest, a player called Moira (or something), scored 2 goals against us at OT. He basically charged our defence, at will and carved us open like we weren't there.
Did he play yesterday? And if not, why not?
Lucas Moura is injured so he wasn't involved.

Gasolin

The way we played was different to any other game under Ole. How were they supposed to sort it out before the game, a crystal ball?
Not underestimate Rashford and Martial speed for example? Why ask the full backs to go that high up? Did they think their midfield was going to win the battle against a midfield of Pogba, Herrera and Matic? Really? Why leave Erikson there if it doesn't work?

It's a guess work that could have been done before the game.

Jeffthered

This is my biggest concern about Pochettino. He doesn't know how to change a game or get a message across mid game. He needs half time to change things and you don't get that when you concede in the second half. All the games where Spurs have 'choked' this has happened. It's a huge red flag.
I think you are being more than a little unfair. The Premiership is mighty competitive, and Spurs are now consistent, genuine challengers for the title. Huge credit goes to Pochettino for achieving this.

Spurs played v v v well in second half yesterday. The manager changed their tactics, and took a stranglehold of a tough, tough game. They could have won the match.

But we deserved our victory.

Ekeke

Not underestimate Rashford and Martial speed for example? Why ask the full backs to go that high up? Did they think their midfield was going to win the battle against a midfield of Pogba, Herrera and Matic? Really? Why leave Erikson there if it doesn't work?

It's a guess work that could have been done before the game.
Spurs always play that way and usually Martial isnt so far up the pitch giving us 2 players to play through instead of the 1 we usually have. Most teams dont commit 2 strikers like that. We went for it on the counter.

crossy1686

career ending
I think you are being more than a little unfair. The Premiership is mighty competitive, and Spurs are now consistent, genuine challengers for the title. Huge credit goes to Pochettino for achieving this.

Spurs played v v v well in second half yesterday. The manager changed their tactics, and took a stranglehold of a tough, tough game. They could have won the match.

But we deserved our victory.
Would disagree with Spurs being a regular title contender. There's only really City and maybe Chelsea that currently fall into that bracket, the rest have been nearly men and nowhere near in recent seasons. Spurs are always well out of it (barring one season when Leicester won the league) by the time the final few games come along. Lets not re-write history here.

Again, I don't think Pochettino knows how to make game changing tweaks to his team when they go behind in the second half. I'll happily be proven wrong over the course of the season because as it stands, it appears we have a surplus of excellent managers available.

Last edited:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Pretty even? You scored an offside goal, well done mate medal is on its way to you, first half tactically and the way we were playing thought we were by far the better side, you had a few moments around the box nothing of worry and had no shots on target, few from outside the box, pretty much nothing, we had three four positions 3 on 2, 2 on 1 we should have done better with but didn't was 1 IMO could and should have been more, my opinion don't get upset.

If you're saying you missed chance after chance then the two Pogba missed are classed as good chances as they were just as good as half of the ones your banging on about. Ali, Kane twice, Llorente, everything else was pretty straight forward, few combinations etc.

Considering we didn't have any other chances in the first half bar the goal and you "played with us" in the second half, we done very very well to have 8 shots on target to your 11, you had what 20+ shots on goal which half of them were wayward.

As I say, for an hour we were the better side then for 30 minutes we tired, Matic looked shot and we didn't have anyone on the bench to bring on to control things, Mata no pace and to lightweight, Fred not experienced enough in the league for that sort of game, Pereira the same so we had to go with what we had and we tired, last half an hour we were hanging on for dear life, for an hour, better team and should have killed it second half through Pogba, same as you should have got a leveler later on.

Agree a point was probably a fair result based on the game, not taking anything personally I'm absolutely buzzing that were 7 points behind now you have Kane injured and Son away for a month, interesting to see where we are in a month's time with the fixtures we have coming up and only Arsenal left to visit away from home this season.

Have to wait until the morning for a reply as only just joined this and only get 3 posts a day!

When did I say we deserved a medal? I'm saying we were getting in to good areas, you weren't much the better team. If you feel like you were, fair enough all power to you. I don't think many neutrals would say that but you never know. I think you edged the first half but it was an even contest between two sides, you had a few good positions on the counter but didn't really make much of them until the goal.

Alli and Kane both had two excellent chances each, as well as a few close rangers headers they should do better with. Pogba missed two good chances. You played well but I don't know why you're getting caught up in the 'played with' remark, all it means is that we were carving you open in the second half .. which we were. We missed a whole host of very good chances across the 90 minutes, more than you did. I don't think you were the better side for 60 minutes, throughout pretty much the entire second half I think we were better.

Most journalists are giving your keeper a 10/10 rating, I think that speaks for itself.

Devils11

Doesn't matter win or lose yesterday , the fact that we are having a go and created chances against Spurs at Wembley, instead of parking the bus ( hello mourinho ?) give me optimism for the rest of the season. Bring on Arsenal FA cup 4th rd !

Last edited by a moderator:

BigRon1985

Can't beat a hard won 0-1 away victory even though we rode our luck sometimes. The reaction of the bench when we scored was the highlight for me - the old United are back!

manunited1919

We are now 7 points from Totenham, with Totenham having Sissoko injured and Son going to Asia, and perhaps Kane may also have to miss a game or two.

Regardless of who won the tactical game, we bagged all the points yesterday. It was a huge match, one that now opens the door for us to have a real go at landing top 4.

Fridge chutney

What part of understanding don’t you understand? I have never wanted Moyes to be our next manager. I am calling him the clueless one.
It's ok if you like him, but I think that most of the forum would disagree with your assessment of Moyes as the greatest manager of his generation.

manunited1919

It's ok if you like him, but I think that most of the forum would disagree with your assessment of Moyes as the greatest manager of his generation.
:nono:

Let’s be clear, to me, Moyes = Vomit.

You don’t seem to understand English, or are just a teenager out to annoy people.

AJ10

Am I the only one who thinks the saves dave made were saves you expect a decent keeper to make bar Alli one on one and near post save from their Cb. Maybe I am not surprised anymore because he's done it so many times thus hold dave to a higher standard.

Gasolin

When did I say we deserved a medal? I'm saying we were getting in to good areas, you weren't much the better team. If you feel like you were, fair enough all power to you. I don't think many neutrals would say that but you never know. I think you edged the first half but it was an even contest between two sides, you had a few good positions on the counter but didn't really make much of them until the goal.

Alli and Kane both had two excellent chances each, as well as a few close rangers headers they should do better with. Pogba missed two good chances. You played well but I don't know why you're getting caught up in the 'played with' remark, all it means is that we were carving you open in the second half .. which we were. We missed a whole host of very good chances across the 90 minutes, more than you did. I don't think you were the better side for 60 minutes, throughout pretty much the entire second half I think we were better.

Most journalists are giving your keeper a 10/10 rating, I think that speaks for itself.
Neutrals would say you had the ball but didn't know what to do.

De Gea got a 10/10 because his positioning was fantastic and maybe against other strikers who actually think a bit more when shooting, you could have scored one. But nevertheless, Rashford scores in the same position as Kane, if not harder, and Pogba should have killed the game as well. At 2:0 before your last 20mn of desperation, you are not coming back in the game ever, that's how weak you were mentally. But Pochettino is right, it was a great performance from Spurs.

We lost some games in the CL against some Italian teams and it was exactly the same. "Oh, we were better but we lost". It's just football and if you cannot beat those sides, then you're not good enough.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Am I the only one who thinks the saves dave made were saves you expect a decent keeper to make bar Alli one on one and near post save from their Cb. Maybe I am not surprised anymore because he's done it so many times thus hold dave to a higher standard.
Ah come on , credit where it’s due.He made a lot of those saves look easier than they were due to excellent positioning, reactions and good old fashioned nous.
I thought the save from Alderweirald was absolute top drawer stuff.Thank the lord he’s our keeper.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Neutrals would say you had the ball but didn't know what to do.

De Gea got a 10/10 because his positioning was fantastic and maybe against other strikers who actually think a bit more when shooting, you could have scored one. But nevertheless, Rashford scores in the same position as Kane, if not harder, and Pogba should have killed the game as well. At 2:0 before your last 20mn of desperation, you are not coming back in the game ever, that's how weak you were mentally. But Pochettino is right, it was a great performance from Spurs.

We lost some games in the CL against some Italian teams and it was exactly the same. "Oh, we were better but we lost". It's just football and if you cannot beat those sides, then you're not good enough.

??? No they wouldn't. Most pundits and neutral fans I've heard talking about the game think we played very well, were clearly the superior team but De Gea pulled a worldie of a game and we struggled from a finishing standpoint.

We could have scored one? Try four or five. Also, we had chances to equalise before Pogba's chance, and we've come back from 2-0 down on multiple occasions so no the game wouldn't have been over. You call the last 20 minutes 'desperation', I call it us pinning you back and completely outplaying you but being unable to put the ball in the back of the net. It was you who were desperate in those last 20, not us.

I've said multiple times the finishing was absolutely not good enough, from our standpoint it was a huge failing. We didn't deserve to win or even draw because you can't finish like that and expect anything. We shot ourselves in the foot with woeful finishing, it wasn't some heroic performance by United, it was us consistently failing to capitalise on what we were creating. Pochettino's right to a certain extent that in the second half it was a great performance .. aside from putting the ball in the back of the net. We did everything else superbly.

It was the same when you beat Juve earlier in the season. They were clearly better, and 9/10 times they win the game, but it's football, the better team does not always win on the day. Wolves outplayed us more at Wembley than you did, that was a genuine case of us being rattled by their tactics in the second half and simply being incapable of creating a chance of note. They totally did us over.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Dave's standup technique is unique. Most keepers would not have been able to get down and save with their hands on a number of those chances yesterday. By using his feet Dave adds another dimension to goal keeping.

His outstanding shot stopping ability also gets into opposition players' heads making them fluff chances through overthinking/resignation.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I agree just pointing out that Shaw definitely can be upgraded on if he doesn't improve.
I would like to see Luke Shaw putting himself about more. He is 10 years younger than Young for example but Young looks faster and fitter and closes down quicker.

Shaw can become a very good LB but to me doesn't put in 100%. However, I agree we have bigger problems than Shaw.

Foxbatt

we need to get our passing a lot better. This may be the residual affect of Jose's time. I also think our fitness or rather lack of it did count against us in the second half. This is a team that failed to beat may a lowly teams and lost to Spurs 1-3 at OT. To come with this team and beat Spurs 0-1 at their home is something good.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
??? No they wouldn't. Most pundits and neutral fans I've heard talking about the game think we played very well, were clearly the superior team but De Gea pulled a worldie of a game and we struggled from a finishing standpoint.

We could have scored one? Try four or five. Also, we had chances to equalise before Pogba's chance, and we've come back from 2-0 down on multiple occasions so no the game wouldn't have been over. You call the last 20 minutes 'desperation', I call it us pinning you back and completely outplaying you but being unable to put the ball in the back of the net. It was you who were desperate in those last 20, not us.

I've said multiple times the finishing was absolutely not good enough, from our standpoint it was a huge failing. We didn't deserve to win or even draw because you can't finish like that and expect anything. We shot ourselves in the foot with woeful finishing, it wasn't some heroic performance by United, it was us consistently failing to capitalise on what we were creating. Pochettino's right to a certain extent that in the second half it was a great performance .. aside from putting the ball in the back of the net. We did everything else superbly.

It was the same when you beat Juve earlier in the season. They were clearly better, and 9/10 times they win the game, but it's football, the better team does not always win on the day. Wolves outplayed us more at Wembley than you did, that was a genuine case of us being rattled by their tactics in the second half and simply being incapable of creating a chance of note. They totally did us over.
Nah. I disagree. It was a game of two halves. You only had 3 more shots on target than us and Lloris also made some excellent saves. Over the 90 minutes Spurs were arguably the better team but not by much.

Juventus were miles better than us for almost the whole game. You’re seriously flattering Spurs to call those two games “the same”.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Next season's away game to Spurs will obviously be tougher due to their luxurious cheese room but the lads took their chance today and three points is great. The difference between "parking the bus" with Ole compared to Mourinho is that we were actually set up to counter attack once we got the ball instead of just soaking up pressure. It was risky, but the goal wasn't just pure luck.
Avoid the big cheese bloat and we should be fine.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Nah. I disagree. It was a game of two halves. You only had 3 more shots on target than us and Lloris also made some excellent saves. Over the 90 minutes Spurs were arguably the better team but not by much.

Juventus were miles better than us for almost the whole game. You’re seriously flattering Spurs to call those two games “the same”.
I thought you were very slightly better for the first half, and then got totally battered second half. It wasn't as one sided as the Juventus game but I view it as a similar story of one team creating far more clear cut chances overall, but simply failing to put them away.

Lloris made a couple of great stops, but it was nothing compared to De Gea at the other end. All I meant was that the Juve game was another example of where the superior team lost the game, I think if you played both games again you wouldn't get a United win in either. United fans are free to view it differently of course, it seems most of you think you were better in the first half than I remember. All a matter of perspective.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I thought you were very slightly better for the first half, and then got totally battered second half. It wasn't as one sided as the Juventus game but I view it as a similar story of one team creating far more clear cut chances overall, but simply failing to put them away.

Lloris made a couple of great stops, but it was nothing compared to De Gea at the other end. All I meant was that the Juve game was another example of where the superior team lost the game, I think if you played both games again you wouldn't get a United win in either. United fans are free to view it differently of course, it seems most of you think you were better in the first half than I remember. All a matter of perspective.
I think we’re disagreeing about the words “far more” in that sentence. Spurs did create more, but not by much. Only 3 more shots on target. Only 3 more shots inside the box in total.

The fact Spurs chances came in relatively quick succession left the impression of total domination at the end of the game. Which is kind of misleading. I agree Spurs probably deserved to win, on balance of play, but I don’t think it was the sort of smash and grab - completely against the run of play - you alluded to in the last post I quoted. The Juventus game was a very different kettle of fish.

EDIT: See xG above. We’ve needed DdG to dig us out of many much deeper holes in the past, believe me!

Suedesi

Your xG was better, but it wasn't off the charts better.

United58

Apparently a Spurs fan was racially abusing Son yesterday :houllier:

Absolute moron.
With big clubs, there's so much fans you can easily single out the idiots to make the group look bad. We have, what, 600,000,000? It'd sadly be very very easy to pull a tweet/video from one of ours to show us up

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 95% of 969 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 776 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw