PL W FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 13 January 2019

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
You would think we were playing relegation fodder and that United sides in the past were never under the cosh. Spurs are a good side but they didn't score, like other sides were kept out in the past. Those sides rode their luck as well. Sometimes you have to. Wish people would stop looking for reasons to diss out efforts today.
Agree with you 100 %

minoo-utd

Ole system is working well, confidence and desire back, a winning mentality which took no much time to restore, but we need at least 3 players to this starting squad.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Great 3 points but boy we could have been on the wrong end of a thumping. In any other game if we concede those sort of chances we'll lose. Defensively far too easy to get at. Would Spurs have created that many chances against other top sides? I don't think so. Some great performances though from Herrera, Rash, Pog and obviously De Gea. Still waiting on Martial to come out of his shell. Still in slouch mode, should be terrifying the opposition with his speed and talent.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
Just want to add that if that was a Mourinho team still. There is no feckin way we would have won those 6 matches. Maybe we would have won half , but not all. The change of manager has been our reason for the sudden form surge, we look like Manchester United again. And not like we are trying to play chess.

hobbers

There's nothing wrong with being under the cosh for parts of a game away against Spurs in this day and age, christ.

Liverpool and City didn't get out of their without withstanding periods of sustained pressure. And they have competent defenders, we only have Lindelof.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
You would think we were playing relegation fodder and that United sides in the past were never under the cosh. Spurs are a good side but they didn't score, like other sides were kept out in the past. Those sides rode their luck as well. Sometimes you have to. Wish people would stop looking for reasons to diss out efforts today.
One of the reasons we were so hated in the past. All these teams that thought they were better than us and sometimes would play us off the park and still never win.

Peter Brewer

April 12 2014:

Southampton/Poch - Cardiff/OGS
0 - 1

January 13 2019

Tottenham/Poch - Man United/ OGS
0 - 1

DEJA VU :cool:

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
Ole system is working well, confidence and desire back, a winning mentality which took no much time to restore, but we need at least 3 players to this starting squad.
To be fair to OLe, it looks like the time it took him to get the team playing like a team, took no time at all. He seemed to know more than Mourinho, from the word "go" Also no need to listen to Mourinhos after match comments any more. "Me, I, me I" Good riddance to him.

Foxbatt

He's actually not a bad outlet if we're not chasing a goal, if we just need to get it up the pitch to reset then he'd be pretty useful to help hold it up.
Agree with you. Last 10 to 15 minutes he would have been a better choice to hold the ball up front. I also feel too much is given to the chances. Before most of those chances David saved, Pogba had two brilliant efforts saved by Lloris. Most of the pundits very conveniently keep forgetting it. We could have been 3-0 up by then.

Jones need to be replaced. He is a liability and I feel that even Young has to be replaced. I was disappointed with Lukaku when he came on simply because he did not try hard enough to help when we were under the cosh. He should not have been tired and he should have run non stop. The rest of his team mates were shattered by then.

On the feeling of Spurs fans, we have played this before too. Keepers having blinders against us and we could not win.

minoo-utd

To be fair to OLe, it looks like the time it took him to get the team playing like a team, took no time at all. He seemed to know more than Mourinho, from the word "go" Also no need to listen to Mourinhos after match comments any more. "Me, I, me I" Good riddance to him.
It seems to me he did everything Mourinho was doing in exact opposite. Team talk, moaning, how to let the boys feel free playing, attacking style, confidence and yea in absolutely no time.

Siorac

Good game - both sides played well - as a Spurs fan I'm gutted as honestly we had more than enough chances to probably win the game but come away with nothing due to uncharacteristic poor finishing.
It was very characteristically De Gea.

bleedred

I am as ecstatic as anyone with the win and with Ole but this post is a clear definition of double standards. Second half was a park the bus performance that Jose would be proud of and would probably be lambasted for by many in this forum.
Jose was not just criticized for parking the bus. He was criticized for parking the bus against ALL TEAMS and secondly, failing to get results through parking the bus in big games.

leontas

Set up really well in the first half and we could’ve had 1-2 more goals if we had better finishing. Our counters were devastating and we were solid in defence. Lindelof was superb again.

Second half, when Poch switched his tactics, it felt like we didn’t really know how to respond. There was a vacuum in midfield that gave them way too much time and space to orchestrate their attacks. We didn’t really press them at all and on another day at least one of those shots goes in. But my word de Gea - where would we be without him.

All in all massive massive result.

Steerpike

Second half was poor tbh.

De Gea was really good but still spurs should have scored.

We just caved in completely. But still in a one off tough away game a back to the wall performance is fine I guess as we are still imoproving.
Caving in was precisely what we didn't do.

We were put under pressure from a good team with title aspirations (now fading) chasing the game. Yes, our goalkeeper had a very good game (it is allowed), but the whole team showed plenty of commitment too. In the first fifteen minutes of the second half we were trading chances, and looked as likely to increase our lead as Spurs did to equalise.

The latter part of the second half was all about Spurs attacking, and us defending, but that's not a real surprise given the respective league positions of the two sides.

stu_1992

Great result! A massive test, and it was passed. Much thanks to De Gea though and there's no doubt that second half was tough. We looked very good in the first half and that was pretty even. Superb pass for the goal and a good finish too.

What did it tell us? Well it has told us if we can attack the bug teams we can win. We had chances today. Even in the second half. Our defence was exposed a lot, though that is not a new lesson.

Sentient Meat

It was an enjoyable, satisfying result, however... the second half felt painfully similar to what we endured the entire first half of the season. As the old saying goes, it's better to be lucky than good... but we better get the defence sorted before the luck inevitably runs out.

RooneyLegend

From the beginning I felt we gave them to much respect. We refused to implement a full press when they were building up from deep which meant that every time they had a goal kick they could transition easily into attacking areas. What we did have in the first half was a genuine counter attacking threat and maybe could have scored more than one goal.

The second half was a disaster that needed a savior, that savior came in the shape of a Spanish god.

Litch

Absolutely spot on. Seen these types of performances under Fergie too. Also I get the DDG MOTM stuff but honestly, I thought most of those shots bar a couple were standard saves pretty much straight at him. The only thing about Spurs could have won by 3 or 4, if they equalised who's to say we wouldn't have gone out to score again. For me, the second half performance was more about defending the lead and that invited the pressure onto us....

Roboc7

Ran out of steam after 60 minutes but was good performance up until that point. Fitness is an issue but that’s be expected as we ran less than every other team under the previous manager.

Feel Ole has the right ideas and attitude so far, his issue is going to be he lacks players who are suited to how he wants to play who can come into the team.

Foxbatt

We had in the past kept Kane quiet a lot. Who was the CB marking Kane in those games?

Joseunited

Brilliant match, didn't mind the backs to the wall job in the second half with De God in that form but let's not forget that we could/should have gone in 2 up in the first half and Pogba really should have scored 2 in the second half.All the talk will be about De God winning us the game single-handedly and rightly so but i'm sure Ole will be pleased that we also created so many opportunities to score more than just the one goal.

I think the defence is now starting to sort itself out now we have a settled line-up, Lindelöf is starting to look like a proper centre-back,Luke Shaw will make the left back slot his own for years to come we just need to find the ideal partner for Lindelöf and integrate Dalot so he makes that right back slot his own.

Fecking can't wait for the next game.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
After Martial was hauled off, we just didn't have any good player in the bench to trouble them. Agreed that Fellaini or Sanchez would help massively.

I'm afraid Ole has already found out that Fred is just not the answer. And I totally agreed with that decision.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Great game the watch and the excitement is back. Thank you OGS!

Only concern was that 20 minute period where we couldn't hold the ball. And most of the problems were poor individual decisions with the ball. Rashford, Pogba and Lingard were the worst during that period. Otherwise, great team victory.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I think these are the fans who faint every time the opposition have a shot.

Roosney

Like many have said our chances in the second half have been overlooked, we could have been cruising to a victory with better finish and/or luck. L'loris made incredible saves too to keep the game alive.

Reddevildans

For 60 minutes we were the better team. Score another goal and that last 30mins doesnt happen. De gae was god and lets be honest if spurs had thier finishing boots on we would have lost. But i dont think we deserved to lose considering the opportunities we had too. Pogba, lindelof, de gae, rashford and herrera were fantastic. Lukaku needs to stay on the bench.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 95% of 969 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 776 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw