PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:6 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Sun, 04 October 2020

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
This video....

De Gea has made his share of errors, for sure, but in that match he really cared. Felt so bad for the guy

Maticmaker

We can expect more of this now then!

Yes absolutely! Rashford doesn't want to defend, at least not from his wide position, because really he doesn't want to play wide and he is following Martials' example last season of sulking until he gets what he wants.
Greenwood doesn't know how to defend from the wide position and it appears nobody wants to show him.

This is not 'rocket science' its simple, very simple basic football tactics, if as Ole said at the weekend, "we defend as a team, then he needs to start kicking a few backsides, or at least making sure they know what to do, even if they don't eventually listen...he then knows what to do, as manager, "no one should be bigger than the club" a phrase we have heard many times.

However I don't believe that anymore, does anyone else?

acnumber9

Doesn’t take a tactical genius to figure that out. The problem we have is whether we trade off the attacking output they give for somebody better defensively. That’s if we even have those players.

Zlatans Knee

Doesn’t take a tactical genius to figure that out. The problem we have is whether we trade off the attacking output they give for somebody better defensively. That’s if we even have those players.
Why do we have to do that? If you look at Mane for example, he is incredible going forward but works hit nuts off covering that left flank as well. Why can't Rashford and Greenwood just learn to do that?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Why do we have to do that? If you look at Mane for example, he is incredible going forward but works hit nuts off covering that left flank as well. Why can't Rashford and Greenwood just learn to do that?
Probably because of the coach.

Not that I know what Ole says in the training ground but I can imagine Klopp having the absolute trust of his players and they probably follow his tactics to a tee. If he tells Mane to sit back in the next match and not bomb forward, that's probably what mane would do.

I don't know where our leaders are. Ole might be a great leader but from what I've seen, he seems like a mate that is leading the project as opposed to a ruthless cnut that will do what he needs and if you give him your all, you will earn the right to be his friend. From what I've seen/read, managers like Klopp, Pep, Mourinho etc are all like this. Even SAF.

But like I said this is just an outside opinion.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Maybe this is why Lingard is still here.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
We don’t defend as a team which unfortunately makes the defenders look worse than they are.

acnumber9

Easier said than done. Some players just don’t have it in them. I’m not saying that shouldn’t be the expectation, it’s just the current reality.

MikeeMike

I have been a United fan since 1968.Over 50 years. I have seen us win it all and lose it all. Relegation in 74, just 6 years after winning the European Cup didn't feel as bad as this.
Losing the title we had all but won in 92 wasn't as bad as this, and we lost that title to Leeds! We lost in at Anfield!
Losing the title in 95 at West Ham. Wasn't as bad as this. At West Ham!
Losing the title at home to Arsenal in 2002 wasn't as bad.
Losing 1~4 at home to Liverpool wasn't as bad as this.
Losing 1~6 at home to City wasn't as bad as this.
Because all those other years we had a team, we fought.We had pride.
Not this lot. This lot are talented but they are a mess.
Not this lot. This lot are talented but they are a mess

Sums it up for me.

Denis79

I have been a United fan since 1968.Over 50 years. I have seen us win it all and lose it all. Relegation in 74, just 6 years after winning the European Cup didn't feel as bad as this.
Losing the title we had all but won in 92 wasn't as bad as this, and we lost that title to Leeds! We lost in at Anfield!
Losing the title in 95 at West Ham. Wasn't as bad as this. At West Ham!
Losing the title at home to Arsenal in 2002 wasn't as bad.
Losing 1~4 at home to Liverpool wasn't as bad as this.
Losing 1~6 at home to City wasn't as bad as this.
Not this lot. This lot are talented but they are a mess.
I have to agree with you. It's not the losing that hurts, it's the manner of the loss.

Russky14

I had a real concern last season that after that Burnley result we were going to flirt with close to relegation. Bruno instant impact changed things. He was the only reason we did not finish 14th.

Ollie then wears the team out we Jo rotation & we end up knackered into a extended season.

The signings we have made are not was reqd position wise. We currently should be bottom. We ain't by luck but still -6 GD. I hope I am wrong but I fear rock bottom is coming up with upcoming fixtures.

Unless Ollie luck yes luck (poor coaching) comes back again it's going to turn ugly with inept defensive capability.

I am fearful.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Makes plenty of sense. Mourinho was drilling defensive teamwork into his players from what we saw in the Amazon documentary. I'm not surprised they hammered us given that he knows how most of our team play - and it's true that many of our forward players don't like to track back.

We talk a lot about how we want Shaw/AWB to support the forwards but perhaps we need to think how the attackers can support the defenders too.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Makes plenty of sense. Mourinho was drilling defensive teamwork into his players from what we saw in the Amazon documentary. I'm not surprised they hammered us given that he knows how most of our team play - and it's true that many of our forward players don't like to track back.

We talk a lot about how we want Shaw/AWB to support the forwards but perhaps we need to think how the attackers can support the defenders too.
No perhaps about it mate. You defend as a team and attack as a team.

cheeky_backheel

Easier said than done. Some players just don’t have it in them. I’m not saying that shouldn’t be the expectation, it’s just the current reality.
If you pose a high enough threat, such that the opposing LB/RB doesnt dare go forward, or even needs help from his RM/LM, then you can be a member of 'dont have it in them' club and still be on the pitch.

If the LB/RB can afford to go forward, you should either track back and work your black arse off, or sit your black arse on the bench.

If none of the above, then the manager needs to have his 'black' arse kicked out

Teja

People conveniently forgetting that we had Rashford / Martial up against Spurs last season and killed them on the counter.

You can talk all the shit you want when you win, so :-/

Danny_

The Albert Einstein of Economics
Anyone that thinks sacking Ole will do anything has not been paying attention. Mourinho left and is doing well now. These players have thrown manager after manager under the bus and the fans keep blaming the wrong person. It isn't the manager's fault.

Player Ratings

2.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 426 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 2:1 Tottenham
  • 15% Man Utd 1:1 Tottenham