PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:6 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Sun, 04 October 2020

NeQuient

I dont know how many times now ole got us to lose at home,any proper club would have sack him already we become a joke.

freddie the red

I have been a United fan since 1968.Over 50 years. I have seen us win it all and lose it all. Relegation in 74, just 6 years after winning the European Cup didn't feel as bad as this.
Losing the title we had all but won in 92 wasn't as bad as this, and we lost that title to Leeds! We lost in at Anfield!
Losing the title in 95 at West Ham. Wasn't as bad as this. At West Ham!
Losing the title at home to Arsenal in 2002 wasn't as bad.
Losing 1~4 at home to Liverpool wasn't as bad as this.
Losing 1~6 at home to City wasn't as bad as this.
Because all those other years we had a team, we fought.We had pride.
Not this lot. This lot are talented but they are a mess.
Same here mate, I hear you, but you missed the Aguero moment (which keeps getting rammed down our throats over the airwaves) from your list...absolutely crushing.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Heard they had ‘handbags at ten paces’ so Ole took them both off.
Actually, this is probably one tiny crumb of comfort from yesterday. At least the performance got an emotional reaction from the players involved. Would have been even more depressing had it not.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
The amateurish behaviour runs deep from players to manager. An experienced pro like Martial not only deciding to stay up after receiving an elbow, but also indulge in retribution, something he knew would not go unpunished. You do everything in the book to make your team have a better shot at winning. And what did OGS come up with post match? An ideological rant about good behaviour, bread and water and other gibberish. Pathetic.
To be fair, not everyone is a diving asshole clown. That is not professionalism. I don't blame Tony. Him getting sent off was regrettable, but a lot of even bigger players have reacted similarly. It happens. The ref should have sufficed with a yellow, or should have sent both of them off. Anyway, it is what it is.

Why are you mad at Martial whilst our defeat was orchestrated by Maguire being trash? With Maguire playing like that we were going to lose, Martial's red card or not. Maybe we would have lost 4:2 or 3:2 but we were not going to win.

fergieisold

Just rewatched the highlights. Wow...Don't think I've ever seen a team concede 6 and get a man sent off all from obvious mistakes. Not even sure what Ole is supposed to do with his players putting in that kind of shit show.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Could be complete nonsense but a guest on the ‘United Stand’ channel said apparently Bruno and Matic had a fight at half time, which is why they were both taken off. Wouldn’t be surprised.
Would have loved to be a fly on the dressing room wall after the teams went back out then, did they carry it on after.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Just rewatched the highlights. Wow...Don't think I've ever seen a team concede 6 and get a man sent off all from obvious mistakes. Not even sure what Ole is supposed to do with his players putting in that kind of shit show.
Ole, and the rest of the team should forget this match and move on. This horrible match is not an indication of our team's quality. It really isn't, but we do have real problems to solve and we just need to keep a cool head and work on them

fergieisold

I hear you, but this is emotional and unfair. Most of our players on the pitch were angry, devastated and carr

Ole, and the rest of the team should forget this match and move on. This horrible match is not an indication of our team's quality. It really isn't, but we do have real problems to solve and we just need to keep a cool head and work on them
Football is weird sometimes...to me it looked like the team was completely demoralised by the first 4 mistakes. Their 3 goals and the red card.

Hopefully we resolve this quickly.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Usually I’d say park this and move on, but this is the 3rd straight game we’ve been played off the park.

We don’t really seem to have a clue on the field (we certainly don’t, off it)

I thought we’d finally had a break through after finishing the season well, now that he hasn’t been backed in the transfer window this team will not only stagnate but regress (maybe significantly). Can’t see Ole being here next season - probably won’t see the new year at this rate.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Not this lot. This lot are talented but they are a mess.
They aren't really that talented, but they are a mess. There is no leadership, no standards and no consequences for failure anymore. If I had played for United in those special Fergie teams I'd be absolutely fecking livid at some of this lot. Just pure concentrated embarrassing.

Lee565

I'm surprised more fans didn't see this coming, we were actually looking poor at the back end of last season, struggling to score from open play and just squeezed into top 4 spot because Leicester's meltdown was crazy

Mark Pawelek

I think United need bring in a harder first team coach. Someone who knows which refs allow quick free-kicks and which don't. Someone who knows how other first-team coaches play and how they bend the rules. Spurs first 2 goals had nothing to do with football ability and were all about who was had their head screwed on and who'd been coached for the cynical aspects of the game. That was like watching Laurel and Hardy or the Keystone Cops. Slapstick.

United also need a director of football.

bsCallout

They aren't really that talented, but they are a mess. There is no leadership, no standards and no consequences for failure anymore. If I had played for United in those special Fergie teams I'd be absolutely fecking livid at some of this lot. Just pure concentrated embarrassing.
They are talented. It's a cop out to say theyre not.

They could be playing so much better.

I proposed another team that is also very talented and another manager would have playing great stuff.

Henderson
Laird Mengi Smalling Telles
VdB Fred McT
Bruno
Greenwood Martial

No AWB, Shaw, DDG, Maguire, Matic, Lindelof, Bailly, Pogba

Ronaldo's Love Child

How about we sign no-one else but OGS starts getting a tune out of the players he already has? I know, I know. I don't like the sound if it either but we look like a team that regardless of what players we sign they will still become meshed into a system that is very dysfunctional.

There were times under Mourinho when I thought that even if we bought Messiwe would still struggle as we don't have a solid strategy in place to win games

zenith

I really like ole but his insistance on playing pogba and matic in a double pivot of suicide. He has the same issue as so many England managers had when trying to shoehorn Gerrard and lampard in the same midfield. It simply does not work.

I really hope he goes back to a Fred and Mctominay midfield with one of bruno, pogba or VDB playing further up. Her some balance and energy into that midfield.

Yesterday, the midfield was not existant and defence had no cover, hence everyone was being dragged all over the place. I wonder how a seasoned midfielder like Carrick cannot see where the problem exactly lies.

Maticmaker

The only good thing about yesterday was it was only 6! It could (and should) have been more.
Every time we put in a poor team performance, which is not as often as it may feel like, but is more than it should be with the players we have, you think it cannot get worse... then it does!

I know we are supposed to 'take the positives' out of every match regardless of result, but yesterday other than the result not being worse, I cannot honestly think of one.... oh sorry, yes one, taking Matic off at halftime , the damage had been done and he would only get slower as the game wore on, but then Ole doesn't bring Donny on, (till much later)to partner Fernandes, but he brings on admittedly two willing 'soldiers' in Fred and McTominay who will both run their hearts out, but half the time are not sure what they are/should be doing and cannot make a complete/accurate pass over more than ten yards and increasingly get caught in possession. In fact that was a definite issue yesterday how many times United got caught in possession and/or failed to win first or second balls.

The dismissal of Martial cannot be defended Lamela is known for his sly tricks, admittedly he should have gone as well, for his first provocative actions, but in the eyes of the ref/laws of the game, retaliation is the real sin.

Mourinho knew just what spaces to exploit , what buttons to press, what United players weaknesses to hone in on, a masterclass of tactics, lets hope Ole learns quick!

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Genuinely don't know how much to read into games at the moment. Seems to be something fundamentally unusual about this season. Records are being broken all over the shop, high scorelines are increasingly regular, penalties are through the roof, the first draw in the PL this season was the 3-3 draw between West Brom and Chelsea, massive winning margins are more common than I can ever remember them being, if a game swings in one direction at any point it seems almost impossible for it to swing back. No crowds, varying levels of fitness, COVID waiting to strike at any point and disrupt team plans - I'm not sure if it's wise to look into these recent games for signs of anything at all. If the 6-1 defeat to Spurs was in isolation, or part of a regular season, then I'd understand the anger (I understand it anyway, because who likes to see their team lose so heavily?), but right now United could easily go and win 6-1 in the next game, given the state of things. Something is very, very unbalanced in the PL right now.

Already this season we've had:
Liverpool 4-3 Leeds
Everton 5-2 West Brom
Leeds 4-3 Fulham
Southampton 2-5 Spurs
Leicester 4-2 Burnley
West Brom 3-3 Chelsea
Man City 2-5 Leicester
West Ham 4-0 Wolves
Leicester 0-3 West Ham
United 1-6 Spurs
Villa 7-2 Liverpool

These are absolutely crazy results in crazy games that seem to violently swing in all sorts of directions on a week-by-week basis. The games being played at the moment are more like training matches, which means all sorts of factors have completely shifted. Obviously this isn't a defence of Solskjaer, who was never the right appointment and definitely needs to go, but these kinds of scorelines just aren't normal. Had the stadium been full yesterday, I think Spurs still would have won, but only 3-1 or 4-1. We always knew fans had a psychological impact on football matches but this seems to have gone beyond anything we thought would happen. In isolation, an 6-1 home defeat is a terrible result, but in the context of the rest of the season I think it's just an unfortunate defeat in a series of unbelievably bizarre circumstances.

Red Royal

Genuinely don't know how much to read into games at the moment. Seems to be something fundamentally unusual about this season. Records are being broken all over the shop, high scorelines are increasingly regular, penalties are through the roof, the first draw in the PL this season was the 3-3 draw between West Brom and Chelsea, massive winning margins are more common than I can ever remember them being, if a game swings in one direction at any point it seems almost impossible for it to swing back. No crowds, varying levels of fitness, COVID waiting to strike at any point and disrupt team plans - I'm not sure if it's wise to look into these recent games for signs of anything at all. If the 6-1 defeat to Spurs was in isolation, or part of a regular season, then I'd understand the anger (I understand it anyway, because who likes to see their team lose so heavily?), but right now United could easily go and win 6-1 in the next game, given the state of things. Something is very, very unbalanced in the PL right now.

Already this season we've had:
Liverpool 4-3 Leeds
Everton 5-2 West Brom
Leeds 4-3 Fulham
Southampton 2-5 Spurs
Leicester 4-2 Burnley
West Brom 3-3 Chelsea
Man City 2-5 Leicester
West Ham 4-0 Wolves
Leicester 0-3 West Ham
United 1-6 Spurs
Villa 7-2 Liverpool

These are absolutely crazy results in crazy games that seem to violently swing in all sorts of directions on a week-by-week basis. The games being played at the moment are more like training matches, which means all sorts of factors have completely shifted. Obviously this isn't a defence of Solskjaer, who was never the right appointment and definitely needs to go, but these kinds of scorelines just aren't normal. Had the stadium been full yesterday, I think Spurs still would have won, but only 3-1 or 4-1. We always knew fans had a psychological impact on football matches but this seems to have gone beyond anything we thought would happen. In isolation, an 6-1 home defeat is a terrible result, but in the context of the rest of the season I think it's just an unfortunate defeat in a series of unbelievably bizarre circumstances.
I admire the optimism... but doubt it.

Becks00

It’s quite amazing to think if Martial goes down holding his face after the Lamela ‘elbow’, Spurs almost certainly go down to 10 men and the game is turned on its head. Not saying we would have automatically won because we were getting battered at the time but still, it has to make a dramatic change to the whole tone and feel of the match. In that one statement from Ole after the game, he showed his naivety at this cut throat level of football management.
I don't get why I keep seeing this on the Caf, we where not getting battered before the red, they where pouncing on stupid mistakes our defenders where making not playing some extra ordinary football that we couldn't cope with.

Getting battered for me is what City did to us in 2011 at Old Trafford. You guys should stop excusing the ref for his piss poor performance yesterday, he significantly changed the course of the game and the 3 points lost would be important down the road during the season.

Referees should be held accountable, their mistakes should not just be swept under the rug, all in the name of we would do better next time because those mistakes could cost teams significantly.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
They are talented. It's a cop out to say theyre not.
Talented players play hard for their professional pride and until the end regardless of the manager. I didn't say they aren't talented, I just don't think they're as talented as their stature at the club, wages and pedigree suggests for some of the important core players who share responsibility of the pulse/heartbeat of the team. (Bar Rashford and Bruno)

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Same here mate, I hear you, but you missed the Aguero moment (which keeps getting rammed down our throats over the airwaves) from your list...absolutely crushing.
Let me explain that. I do recall it quite well! Fact is thought that that title was out of our control once we lost to City.
We did all we could on the final day, nobody expected a favour from QPR.
It was crushing but it wasn't down to us
Lacking anything.

Untd55

People are referencing other results, but you have to remember that we were lucky not to be royally spanked in all three games.

Crystal Palace should have ended 5-1; Brighton should have ended with the concession of five goals. The difference with the Tottenham game is that they had much better attackers than the other teams, and they put six past us.

Other teams have shown results/performances that swing back and forth, but we have been consistently abysmal.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Things will get better. We're not the only team to take a tonking this season. I do think we need to get Shaw out of the starting XI, give Maguire about 3 weeks to sort his head out, put Henderson in and drop AWB for a few weeks.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
At least we agreed that using “pre-season” is a lame excuse.
We didn't win to Palace and we didn't win to Spurs are two different things. No such thing called lame excuse if it's fact.

What next? You're going to say every single games we didn't win in the last 20 years are all same reason?

Stig

I don't buy the lack of pre-season preparation. What preparation do they need ? They just spent a string of how many games playing together ? They are professional footballers - they don't need to remember how to play. They have a responsibiity to keep themselves fit.

No. I don't buy it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Nah it was a red card. Martial knows the rules as do we all. Any time that happens it results in a red, and the game went to pot afterwards. In fact the game went to pot after the penalty when our defence showed how utterly shambolic they are.
It was nothing but he did raise his hand and give him the mildest of slaps so as retaliation it was always likely to end badly. Lamella is however an utter disgrace. Going down like there was a sniper in the crowd from such a slight contact is simply cheating and I hope he gets a lengthy ban. Not sure if there is a mechanism for that but there should be.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We didn't win to Palace and we didn't win to Spurs are two different things. No such thing called lame excuse if it's fact.

What next? You're going to say every single games we didn't win in the last 20 years are all same reason?
They played against Spurs, like they played against Brighton and Palace.

Don't be so defensive, man. WHat's the purpose brought in those last 20 years? Those are different players, tactics, and managers.

Wilt

It was nothing but he did raise his hand and give him the mildest of slaps so as retaliation it was always likely to end badly. Lamella is however an utter disgrace. Going down like there was a sniper in the crowd from such a slight contact is simply cheating and I hope he gets a lengthy ban. Not sure if there is a mechanism for that but there should be.
Yes it was pretty pathetic, but tbf many players nowadays would react the same. I‘m quite sure if it was Bruno he‘d have responded with half a dozen death rolls together with a blood curdling scream before dusting himself off and calmly walking away as if nothing had ever happened.

el3mel

Martial deserved to be sent off. He was stupid and fall to Lamela provocation.

However I think it should have been double red. Lamela should have also been sent off for starting it all.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
They played against Spurs, like they played against Brighton and Palace.

Don't be so defensive, man. WHat's the purpose brought in those last 20 years? Those are different players, tactics, and managers.
Palace and Spurs are two different games, two different teams, different quality & manager. No point comparing them.

City & Wolves have also been struggling.

Maticmaker

Make ' deliberate provocation' as serious an offence as 'physical retaliation' is... or ignore 'slap for slap'!

Lets be honest some of these types of incident are no more serious than ...'handbags at 10 paces', much less serious than say a reckless challenge, a head-butt, or an elbow in the face.

If VAR is going to be used not just to clarify issues/ Ref's decisions, then it ought to also be used to enforce the rules.

Player Ratings

2.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 426 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 2:1 Tottenham
  • 15% Man Utd 1:1 Tottenham