PL W FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 October 2021

Red Royal

Its been a long week, thank God for that performance.... a long way to go but that is the commitment expected.

joedirt87

tottenham was awful. United looked like a coached side, dare I say a well coached side.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Spurs were shit, but we've been presenting every shit team we play against with multiple free sitters every game, so I'll take not doing that for a change as the biggest bit of progress.

Very likely to be false dawn #43 under Ole, but if they can keep it solid again in the next two games we'll feel like we're getting somewhere.

Flytan

We played well but holy shit Tottenham are bad.

Fully expect a few good results only for it to go wrong in the end for the fifth time during his tenure.

passing-wind

Disagree with the consensus of it being a brilliant performance it was a good and defensively robust approach. The manager is inept to offer anything outside of this ethos. People complaining about Conte but Ole's best moments have come from being conservative. Interesting to see if changes are made mid week and against city.

Wheato

Win our next game and we are back in the mix.

We play McFred, Shaw and Maguire who have been awful all season and they pull off a 0-3 away win at Spurs.

Rashford goal the cherry on top.

Crazy season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Superb win, and Ole has just turned that pressure gauge down ever so slightly.

Need very similar midweek and then a good showing in the derby.

Carolina Red

Staff
1) Spurs are awful

2) Clean sheet!

3) I’m very happy we got the win.

4) If Ole’s 3-5-2 works for a 3 goal win, then I’d definitely love to see what Conte could do with this team.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
A big feck you to all who wanted us to lose.

Three points and a clean sheet.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Let's just enjoy the win without thinking about Solskjaer's future. I believe we all need this.
Agreed.

It's good to take a break from all the speculation! I think some of our fans who are addicted to all the media shiteshow need to take a break

Gazautd18

Great win.
Loved the Cavani Ronaldo link up.
Leaves me with more questions than answers though....
Why didn't we sign a decent DM?
Why did we not play this formation against Liverpool last week?
Why did we sign Sancho?
Why sign DVB?
So many questions...

Hoof the ball

A good performance and match in isolation.

1. 3-5-2 as a permanent system drastically limits Sancho's game-time since he will not play CF, AM or WB. Ole will have some tough choices to make if he wishes to continue with this.

2. Spurs are in very poor form right now, and I daresay that even if we played our usual 4-2-3-1 we'd perhaps have looked defensively comfortable. That's how poor they are and how little they threaten the goal this season.

I'm hesitant to cry out "eureka!" as if Ole has stumbled onto a tactically winning formula. We have to see how this fares against City, or indeed the next opponent that isn't as toothless as Spurs. We need to see this system under genuine pressure.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Fred was immense. A couple of performances like that and he could well see himself getting a six-year contract.

Ludens the Red

Solid performance. Concentration and effort levels were there, the bare minimum, but you see the difference it makes when you actually have it.
I didn’t expect the system to work at all before the game but it did, although still not something that should be used long term.
I don’t want us playing like that but I can accept it in games like this although had we played an extras attacker instead of a defender I don’t think the game changes that much. Tottenham were abysmal which helped. I expect we’ll stick with this for the city game which is fine but going forward not for me.

Rustyspider13

Efficient and solid display. It wasn't free-flowing and the same tactics might not work against teams that sit back and leave no space in behind, but the team looked like one cohesive unit today. Same formation will probably be used against Atalanta and City and I'm all for it.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I'm just so happy we didn't allow Tottenham to create anything, kept the clean sheet and got 3 in the bag.

Some very intense handgripping between Ole and McTominay there at the away corner, the lads must be relieved they put a hopeful end to the avalance

How GOOD is Raphael Varane though. MOTM!

Chip

Good win. Spurs are shit though. Hopefully Ole is judged on the performances vs Atalanta and City rather than this game.

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Good result. Some nice goals and Varane is different gravy. Not sure about AWB as a wing back and would have liked to see vdB and Sancho come on for the last 20 minutes. Definitely a lot happier than last week.

lex talionis

Job done over a woeful opponent. But as bad as Spurs were, they actually broke through several times but their talisman, Harry Kane, has downed his tools.

Red_Aaron

All right, well, I was bombing it round one time and someone left this ramp out. They all said, "If he hits that, he *is* dead". So I hit it and rolled over in the air a few times and they said, "Now he is *definitely* dead". Then I landed on my wheels and pulled over next to them and said, "What you worried about?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The frustrating thing is that there was nothing that meant we couldn't approach last Sunday's game like this.

We were compact in shape, there was no crazy random running after opponents to give them space to smash us.

It was back to the counterattacking football that has defined Ole's United. And we looked so much better for it.

Lebowski

Seeing Cavani and Ronaldo celebrating together after linking up so well was special.

A snapshot reminder of why we were all so excited going into the season.

Also, Varane brings a Ferdinand-esque level of calm to and composure to the back line.

always_hoping

As I said before the game if United win it will mean the players will roll up their sleeves to prove that aren't as bad as last Sundays display and that spurs are shite.

Organisation led by the returning Varane and team effort was key today. Degea will never get an easier match not a single save to make. Be interesting to see how this back five works long term.

Delighted.

Okay, let's start with how shit this Spurs team is. They couldn't manage one short on target against a team with one clean sheet in twenty-one games. They look utterly clueless and the fans have turned against the manager. He looks finished already.

However, no matter how bad Spurs are, we showed character after last weekend's disaster. We controlled the game and were clinical at the key moments. All three goals were lovely passages of play, and we strolled it. We were much better organised off the ball and worked harder in all areas of the pitch. I honestly thought we would lose the game, but 3-0 doesn't flatter us.

Right now, I'm not thinking about the politics of Ole's position; I just want United to play well and win games, and tonight has cheered me up.

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 332 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 11% Tottenham 1:1 Man Utd
  • 11% Tottenham 2:0 Man Utd