PL W FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 October 2021

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Much better defensively. It was nice to see some structure about us for a change. Some really well-taken goals as well. There's no point getting carried away just yet though. Spurs were truly wretched.

Next week will be the true test, but a good result today.

Gagsy

Tactical masterclass. Brilliant from the coaching staff. :drool:

saivet

Deserved win. Don't think we were particularly great but Spurs were completely dreadful.

Hester_manc

AWB
Ronaldo
Maguire
McTominay

They were the best 4 players today, as I see it. I can see by the ratings that not everybody agrees ;-)

Shiva87

Much better performance but Ole always has this in him.

The problem is when he reverts to type (rigid /stubborn). If we win a couple of games and he does the same thing again, the same issues will show up.

Im going to enjoy this win today, but it creates no optimisim for the season yet.

Regalia

Sometimes when you have world class players and Cristiano Ronaldo in your side and set up 7-0-3 to defend for your lives against terrible opponents who can't even buy a goal, you win games. That's what happened today. Get Conte in and play real 3-5-2. Probably would have won 6-0 today against that hapless Spurs side today.

Acquire Me

Loved this game. Finally some balance. We should stick with this formation and master it. It can be fantastic if mastered right.

Well done Ole and team!

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I continue to doubt Ole.
1 win against Spurs doesn't change anything.
We are a team of Galacticos and an out of form Spurs should not be the benchmark.
If Madrid had our players, they'd be talking about another CL win.
I think you're still allowed to enjoy the win though.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Mctominah was brilliant too.

That goal by ronaldo. Goal of the season stuff.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Much better from us.

Spurs are absolutely terrible though. Like abjectly, unbelievablely terrible.

Godfather

Good win. We have to stop trying to control games against good opposition. You need very good managers for that. Sit back and hit them on the counter like today. Bit of a shame with the player material we have but at least this will get us the points.

Mr.Kaya

So so vital win this. Now lets keep the momentum up and crush Atalanta next, then get a good result against City!

Saddy

Great result and we might have stumbled on a working formation - Cavani was a major factor but Ronny still grabbed MOM.

Nice to see Ole take the 3 talisman off to give them some rest.

Levy must be having a weep to himself not cashing in on Kane who was absolutely woeful !

The Cavani/Ronaldo partnership was brilliant. Complimented each other perfectly.

The work Cavani got through today was insane. He was everywhere.

The Oracle

In the two games against Spurs since the 6-1 loss against them at Old Trafford last season:

We have scored 6 and they have scored 1

:)

Marcus

Great performance. Was afraid the unfamiliar 3 at the back would catch us out.

cyberman

Want to see Pogba in that midfield and assess how we play. Also suits Rashford and Greenwood to the ground.
Fair play to Ole but Conte could really take this up a level

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
532 (or 3412) is the way to go this season.

3 CB with Varane+Maguire+Lindelof, we are suddenly looking solid at the back, and finally a clean sheet.

Wing back + McFred in midfield, at least we are no longer outnumbered and outplayed in midfield. This also gives us better structure, keep us in shape and with clear purpose what to do.

Ronaldo+Cavani+Bruno attack is so awesome and so perfectly balanced, so much class and movement between them.

Chairman Steve

Good win but my god Spurs were awful. Awesome goal by Ronaldo.

I said it in the sack watch thread but I found the celebrations on the bench to be quite subdued and muted, almost like they knew a new manager was going to come.

CloneMC16

De Gea didn't have to make a save today. That says a lot after what has happened this season. Very good performance. Best performance this season. Much more compact. If playing this formation and set-up stops us from conceding chance after chance every game, I will happily accept it.

McT, Varane and AWB played great.

RedCheekz

Great to get 3 points and a clean sheet. Not so great that this result will make Ole job little bit more secure.

Let’s be real also, this is a really poor Spurs team and worst they been in years. I wouldn’t let the result mask the problems we have.

It’s clear that Cavani needs to start, he actually works and presses which his significantly younger attacking teammates don’t seem to do. It was great to see him organising players, giving instructions.

The talk about dropping ronaldo needs to stop. He is the one who will most likely get the goals, the disallowed goal today and vs Liverpool would of been class goals. We have nobody as clinical as him.

Great to see Varane back, he’s without a doubt our best defender.

It was hilarious but in a bad way to see Bruno getting subbed for matic. I never thought I would ever see us have 5 defenders , mcfred and matic on the same pitch together.

Real Name

Good win but my god Spurs were awful. Awesome goal by Ronaldo.

I said it in the sack watch thread but I found the celebrations on the bench to be quite subdued and muted, almost like they knew a new manager was going to come.
Or like they're relieved more like.

redom

Conte already pulling the strings behind the scenes? :angel:

In all seriousness though that was a solid, hardworking performance with some superb goals. We probably caught Spurs a bit off guard with the formation change so it'll be interesting to see how other teams adapt if we continue with it going forward. Enjoyed that one.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
A result where some fans will revel in the win and enjoyed the performance, whereas others are fuming we didnt get smashed.

Enjoyed every goal with a big cheer, and a very good performance. Dont see this being a turnaround for Ole but he got the reaction he wanted.

Kopral Jono

Spurs were atrocious and if you think our problems have gone away you're completely wrong, but I enjoyed that a lot.

GMoore23

Important 3 points and very solid performance.

As Ole ain't for dropping his favourites at any cost, this formation will help to protect us from their poor form this season.

In the long term though, if we're sticking with this formation we'll need to reshape the squad once again.

You can't be playing 3 CB's every game yet only have 4 senior CB's in the squad so we'll need to recall Tuanzebe in January.

We're well sorted for Strikers and 10's though we're now overstocked with attackers overall.
With Bruno playing almost every game, we only need 1 of Lingard Sancho and Mata now so the other 2 should be sold.

If we're going 5-3-2 the Sancho signing is headed for disaster.

Also, with this formation there's really no need for Fred, his passing just isn't good enough.
VDB or Pogba should play next to McTominay imo.

The City game is the true test of this formation though and if we're well beaten there Ole should be let go.

Bobski

A reset to a more practical and sensible approach which provided a level of structure that allowed Fred and McTominay some cover instead of having to deal with 4 players running through on them constantly, prime Keane and Vieria couldn't stop that, which in turn rarely exposed the defenders and they focus on clearing up scraps.

Spurs are awful and the new system will get a better test next week but the balance had to change.

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 332 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 11% Tottenham 1:1 Man Utd
  • 11% Tottenham 2:0 Man Utd