PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Sat, 12 March 2022

Banana Republic

9 league games left.
Today's result gives us a good chance of nailing a Europa League spot for next season.

4th and CL qualification is out of reach, unless Arsenal have a collapse in form.
They only have to win one out of their 4 games in hand over us, to take 4th place back again.
They can afford to lose more than us too.

I bet some are hoping Chelsea are closed down.

L1nk

9 league games left.
Today's result gives us a good chance of nailing a Europa League spot for next season.

4th and CL qualification is out of reach, unless Arsenal have a collapse in form.
They only have to win one out of their 4 games in hand over us, to take 4th place back again.

If they lose to Liverpool and we beat them, i'm hoping the momentum could shift. This is obviously based on the idea that we actually win our matches too of course

goalscholes

Fair enough, but it's pretty much the same as having never heard of Federer or Schumacher or Tiger Woods. :lol:
It’s not really, though.

NFL is basically played professionally, and followed by one country.

A closer comparison would be not knowing who Richie McCaw or Giba are.

MrSingh2002

We didn't press them at all for the whole game? In fact we seemed to be tactically sitting off them. Not sure we were any better than against city in all honesty. Spurs just seemed quite determined to sink to our level and had the useless version of Kane turn up while we had Ronaldo.
We definitely sat deeper as a tactic but engaged when they got closer to goal.

It felt abit like when we used to face Barcelona under Fergie he would instruct the players to let them have the ball up until they reach the box and then engage rather than leave spaces in behind.

The front line I felt were closer to the midfield today and when you factor in they have an in form Kane, Son and Kulusevski I'd say we limited them to few clear cut chances. A good Spurs attack were limited to half chances for the most and you'd have to take that before the game.

Robertd0803

Get in there.

That idiot Spurs player that celebrated in Maguires face wasnt celebrating long :lol:

Feels like ages since I got to say this but Viva Ronaldo. Stunning stuff.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Just watched it. Ronnie won those 3 points by himself. Awful team performance (and I really don't rate Spurs at all). Super slow build up, very shoddy defensively, down both flanks and especially through the middle where we were so easily passed through it was criminal. But Ronaldo.

Widow

9 league games left.

What a depressing post, one line in particular!

Bondi77

Entertaining game and we just have to enjoy these results when they happen as consistency is not our strong point these days.

NICanRed

Yep. Pretty sure it was him accidentally trampling all over Pogba at one point as well. Not sure what he gains out of it seeing as Tottenham concede chances almost as easily as we do and Ronaldo brushed him off like a fly before scoring the winner.
He's obviously the thug that they've brought to replace that criminal Lamela.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It’s not really, though.

NFL is basically played professionally, and followed by one country.

A closer comparison would be not knowing who Richie McCaw or Giba are.
Not sure about that. The reach/domination of American media puts in on a different level to other sports that might only have a following in a few countries. The Super Bowl is watched by crazy numbers of people globally and they have no problem filling stadiums in the UK and Europe for nothing games between bottom feeding teams.

You could ask ten sports fans in Auckland who Tom Brady is and I'd be surprised if at least half didn't know him. Ask ten sports fans in New York who Richie McCaw is and you'll get ten blank stares.

wise_old_man

This. Thought we should have managed him a bit more and not let him start every game. He's still 37 or 8 and the PL is pretty hard on the body, so we shouldn't have started him every game. In any case, can't go back now.
Because Cavani was hardly available throughout the season, and Greenwood prefers being on the bed instead of on the pitch.

InfiniteBoredom

Fair enough, but it's pretty much the same as having never heard of Federer or Schumacher or Tiger Woods. :lol:
The NFL doesn’t have much of a following outside of North America, pretty easy to never have heard of him if you don’t pay much attention to other sports. I live in Australia yet if it weren’t for this forum I would never have known who Don Bradman is, simply because I have absolutely zero interest in cricket.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The NFL doesn’t have much of a following outside of North America, pretty easy to never have heard of him if you don’t pay much attention to other sports. I live in Australia yet if it weren’t for this forum I would never have known who Don Bradman is, simply because I have absolutely zero interest in cricket.
I never watched NFL too and know nothing about the sport, but even so I am surprised there are people who never heard of Tom Brady. He is literally like Ronaldo in football, Federer in Tennis, Lebron James in Basketball or Tiger Woods in Golf. Its impossible never heard of his name.

InfiniteBoredom

I never watched NFL too and know nothing about the sport, but even so I am surprised there are people who never heard of Tom Brady. He is literally like Ronaldo in football, Federer in Tennis, Lebron James in Basketball or Tiger Woods in Golf. Its impossible never heard of his name.
It’s very much possible especially if you are on the younger side and get all of your news/info through the internet/SNS. The way the social networks curate your feed means you are constantly just bombarded with topics you are interested in and very little else, whereas if you sit down and watch the news daily (as most people did in the past) then chances are you are exposed to more topics, even if only peripherally.

Also the nature of this forum being an English speaking one gives its members a rather warped sense about the reach of its media and popular culture. I have lived in both Singapore and Australia for considerable amount of time and you never see NFL games being on randomly in a pub or sports betting site, those are hardly third world countries, and growing up in Vietnam outside of football you would get blank stare if you ask people who Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan is, and it was in the 2000s.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It’s very much possible especially if you are on the younger side and get all of your news/info through the internet/SNS. The way the social networks curate your feed means you are constantly just bombarded with topics you are interested in and very little else, whereas if you sit down and watch the news daily (as most people did in the past) then chances are you are exposed to more topics, even if only peripherally.

Also the nature of this forum being an English speaking one gives its members a rather warped sense about the reach of its media and popular culture. I have lived in both Singapore and Australia for considerable amount of time and you never see NFL games being on randomly in a pub or sports betting site, those are hardly third world countries, and growing up in Vietnam outside of football you would get blank stare if you ask people who Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan is, and it was in the 2000s.
I know, but even if you only read general news or just general sports news, its impossible to have miss his names completely. Even just one click onto any popular sports website across the globe), his name would have appeared on first page on many occasions.

InfiniteBoredom

I know, but even if you only read general news or just general sports news, its impossible to have miss his names completely. Even just one click onto any popular sports website across the globe), his name would have appeared on first page on many occasions.
Which went back to my first point, people don’t read newspapers or go on sport websites nowadays, at least a lot don’t. Those are habits formed in a different time.

Ibi Dreams

Those sports are more widely popular than American football. British media certainly doesn't give a feck about the NFL

Water Melon

All those sports are much more popular than American football. Basketball, football, golf, MMA, boxing, F1, majority of Olympic sports are probably vastly more popular as well.

Yakuza_devils

Thank you Ronaldo. What a player. What a game. Hope he hits top form from now on. 9 more games to go. Top 4.

justsomebloke

He's the only NFL player I could name. Well, him and that guy who started taking the knee, only I can't off the top of my head quite remember his name either. But ask me about MLB, and it's a total blank. The posters saying NFL (to say nothing of MLB) has pretty much zero presence even among serious sports fans in Europe are right. What little we know comes from popular culture penetration, like Joe di Maggio being mentioned in the lyrics of Simon and Garfunkels "Mrs Robinson", or Babe Ruth featuring in Dennis Learys 1980s stand-up routine. This must be very weird for Americans. :)

justsomebloke

Not sure about that. The reach/domination of American media puts in on a different level to other sports that might only have a following in a few countries. The Super Bowl is watched by crazy numbers of people globally and they have no problem filling stadiums in the UK and Europe for nothing games between bottom feeding teams.

You could ask ten sports fans in Auckland who Tom Brady is and I'd be surprised if at least half didn't know him. Ask ten sports fans in New York who Richie McCaw is and you'll get ten blank stares.
You don't have to go to New York to draw a blank on Richie McCaw (never heard of the man myself, had to google him to find out he's a Rugby player) - most places in Europe will get you the same response. Same for anything Cricket.

crossy1686

career ending
How the feck have Arsenal got 4 games in hand? The only fair solution to that is to make them play all their games in hand in the space of one week

justsomebloke

Eternal is the only word to describe him. Cristiano Ronaldo is the greatest footballer, no, athlete to ever live. That was in my opinion, the best individual performance any player has put in this Premier League season, relative to goals, importance of the goals and the team around him. The only ones that come close are Salah against us and Kane against City. Absolutely sensational, and despite my criticism of him throughout 2022, we are lucky to have him, as any team with him would be. Sancho and especially Fred were excellent too, as was Varane who provided a calm influence at the back.

Maguire and Rashford were definitely negatives, as is the common theme these days. The really worrying thing with Maguire now is that even when he has a good game, he still has the capacity for a brain fart that really costs the team, like the own goal today. That’s the sign of a defender who’s low on confidence, unlucky and just not very good. For £80m, relative to performance, I think he’s the pound for pound worst signing we’ve ever made. Rashford was invisible, which I suppose is better than what he was previously.

I think Ralf managed the game pretty well, but he simply has to drop Maguire now. Mark my words, I fancy Ronaldo to pull through again as he generally tends to do, but Atletico are not Spurs. Start Maguire and we’re out of the Champions League. He nearly sent us out by losing Felix in the first game already.

Overall, a very good win - one we have to massively thank Ronaldo for (I don’t get Conte’s comments that it would not have been a good day for us if we didn’t have him though, he’s literally there to win us big games). We’re somehow just about still in the hunt for top 4, albeit we need to be pretty much perfect from now until the end of the season, aside from a loss to Liverpool at Anfield that I’ve already pencilled in. Hopefully, Leicester take at least a point at the Emirates tomorrow.
Other than the OG, which is the sort of thing that can happen to anyone, I thought Maguire actually had a pretty good game. Didn't put a foot wrong defensively, wasn't mugged in a duel as far as I noticed and contributed quite a lot of incisive forward passing, with less dawdling on the ball than we're used to. I'm calling tunnel vision on his detractors in this one - he's now being watched through shit-tinted glasses.

Rashford, on the other hand.....

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
All those sports are much more popular than American football. Basketball, football, golf, MMA, boxing, F1, majority of Olympic sports are probably vastly more popular as well.
Again I am fully aware of that. For me, I never know anything about NFL, apart from Jerry Maguire movie, so I get where you coming from. But its really hard to have never heard of the name Tom Brady, even if you go through some causal reading on article about story of great sportsman on social media, his name would appear somewhere. I have zero interest and knowledge on the sport, but I've still heard of his name being mentioned as GOAT couple of times.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Great to get a win but let's not pretend we were brilliant or the problems are solved. The game did prove a few things. 1. Those saying Ronaldo is the problem and is finished got shown up for what they are. 2. Maguire is little more than a lump of flesh and the CB pairing going ahead should be varane/lindelof. 3. We were lucky kane and, even more so, Son had poor games. 4. Pogba won't be missed - once again against fairly ordinary opponents he failed to dominate. 5. Something is seriously wrong with Rashford right now and i won't be shocked if he left in the summer.

Positives (other than the obvious Ronaldo one): I think Fred had pretty good game and was certainly more of a force than Pogba. Sancho is starting to show (in flashes) what he can do. Pleased to see Cavani back, I hope he is fit enough (and picked) to start on Tuesday night...

One difficil question (and I don't know the answer): did we look more balanced without Bruno?

OldRed1

Just watched it. Ronnie won those 3 points by himself. Awful team performance (and I really don't rate Spurs at all). Super slow build up, very shoddy defensively, down both flanks and especially through the middle where we were so easily passed through it was criminal. But Ronaldo.
Absolute bullshit. No one player can do it on his own, 10 other players put in a shift and all helped create the goals.

Denis79

Table tennis is actually more popular as well, just a fun fact.

Dan_F

Table tennis is actually more popular as well, just a fun fact.
Ah yes, I have found memories of those big table tennis events that fill Wembley and Spurs stadium multiple times a year. You’re talking about participation aren’t you?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Fred was so good as well, wasn't he? I wonder if we got him the right partner in midfield could we always see that?

Man of the Match

Cristiano Ronaldo image Cristiano Ronaldo 92% of 361 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 322 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw