PL L FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 August 2023

JagUTD

Dog shit and utterly predictable we won’t finish top 8
We will be absolutely fine once the young lad gets involved. Even if he doesn't bang in the goals, our entire game will transform and we will play with some semblance of a point.

Right now though we're basically Chelsea of last season. And that's who we should be looking at to see our issues.

We'd probably be better with Martial starting but his fitness let alone quality is so unreliable I understand ETH being wary of risking us being without any strikers at all.

kirk buttercup

We are mid table quality at best at the moment. we just aren't very good and I can't see where we improve with what we have. Ughhhh

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Shite finishing, unfit, panicky.

Martinez was appalling in that 2nd half. When he wasn't trying to play their forwards on side and scoring own goals he was launching long balls into touch when there were simple short passes on.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
All the more reason not to add Mason fecking Mount to it. Surely it would make more sense to get someone who compensates for their weaknesses, as opposed to a player who highlights and exacerbates them.
I think that's exactly why he added Mason Mount, because Ten Hag dropped the possession control idea and decided to go all in with the transition football. His targets have clearly shifted from what he wanted last year. His pursuit of DeJong was indicative of his desire to control games but after we acquired Casemiro, Bruno and Rashford proved themselves to be integral players for us, Ten Hag decided to simply go with what would highlight their strengths which is transition football.

The hope now is that as time goes on we'll start exerting more control eventually but that's just pure hope right now.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
The fact that few if any have picked on AWB forgetting to mark his opponent again, is a mystery.

Matt851

Can someone tell me how United have progressed in terms of their playing style under ETH? Behind the scenes the club are still amateurish, recruitment hasn't improved really. There is still no DOF worthy of the name, they just handed over control of transfers to ETH who basically just seems to know players he has worked with before and who thought Antony was worth £80. City and Newcastle have structures in place that ensures more sensible decisions are made and so they would be in a decent position were there manager to leave. Feels like we would be back to square one if eth goes

Jeffthered

We have significant problems this season. Sorry to say. Doesn't feel good at all.

Our limitations are being exposed. Other teams have better players. Simple.

ETH is going to be under some pressure now. Because the team looks disjointed.

Very, very disappointing start to the season.

Matt851

Onana has been great, our new striker hasn't played a game yet and Mount was far from our worst player today.
Saying mount wasnt our worst player is hardly a ringing endorsement. The main point to make with him is that with the money we spent on him we could have got a player who massively improved the team e.g. a proper 8

Hackman2210

Worse than last year. Totally out of balance. Not sure Mount and Fernandez work in that system. Antony garbage, Rashford not a central striker. Garnacho - impact sub only. Fecking wank. And I hear Greenwood is getting to boot. fecking shit show!!

JagUTD

Honestly if they just made better decisions in the attacking areas we’d score more goals. Garnacho and Antony both had the ball in dangerous areas and mostly made the wrong decision.

We need the forwards to have their heads up and look for each other more and when they do get the ball maybe don’t drill it straight into a defenders shins.

It mostly feels like we have a very dumb group of attackers. Spurs were wide open first half and yet it felt like our attackers were all just desperate to get their first goals of the season rather than actually making the right play.
That's an issue to but these players are primarily there to create first, score second so they lack the cutting edge a striker brings.

We will see the difference when Hojlund plays. We won't turn into world-beaters but we will start to look cohesive.

Hester_manc

The players seem out of shape - like the preseason and the training there have not been good enough to get them back in shape.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
All the more reason not to add Mason fecking Mount to it. Surely it would make more sense to get someone who compensates for their weaknesses, as opposed to a player who highlights and exacerbates them.
You know it's bad when Chelsea let him go to us. Never been a top player.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
These players cannot take a ball and turn with it with their backs to their opponents. Composure is lacking.

Hackman2210

Shite finishing, unfit, panicky.

Martinez was appalling in that 2nd half. When he wasn't trying to play their forwards on side and scoring own goals he was launching long balls into touch when there were simple short passes on.
How can you single out Martinez. He was our one of our best players. Midfield is a fecking shambles.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I would trade Bruno for Maddison right now. Maddison is a better passer, has better awareness, and can dribble by pressing opponents.

I also would trade Casemiro for Bissouma right now. A 31 year old Casemiro is no match for an athletic and skilled player.

This is just an example of our failed transfers for the past decade. We get so much so wrong.

Why does Erik persist with Rashford as CF? Everyone knows Rashford is not a good CF and can be a great left winger. I'm just flummoxed that Rashford didn't move to the left when Sancho came on. What was the point of Sancho playing as a false 9 throughout the preseason?

JG3001

No striker and still not sorted out deficiencies in midfield. Ten Hag could find himself on the wrong side of fans very quickly if he doesn’t sort it out.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Worse than last year. Totally out of balance. Not sure Mount and Fernandez work in that system. Antony garbage, Rashford not a central striker. Garnacho - impact sub only. Fecking wank. And I hear Greenwood is getting to boot. fecking shit show!!
Greenwood getting the boot is the biggest positive I can think of right now

The Dane

At least it was Tottenham away which on paper is a difficult game. I am quite sure that we would have struggled to get 3 points had we faced the likes of Forest or Sheffield United with our current form.
We might get 3 points of our next game, then we will get slaughtered by Arsenal and then hopefully after the international break we will be back in gear and able to play something that resembles last year’s standard.

buckooo1978

Feels like we bought Mount so we are now an absolutely high energy counter pressing team forgetting that we've left an aging Casemiro to mind the shop - he's no doubt thinking about the good old days with Kroos and Modric not leaving him stranded

players looked fecked - Ten Hag surely needs to reel this back in and try and and gain some control in games

not sure Mount and Fernandes will work

Yes we take our chances we get a result today perhaps...

reality is we play like that at Anfield or Etihad and we are conceding like we did last year

Wake up Ten Hag

onemanarmy

Saying mount wasnt our worst player is hardly a ringing endorsement. The main point to make with him is that with the money we spent on him we could have got a player who massively improved the team e.g. a proper 8
I mean, I'd give it more than 2 games before writing the transfer window off.

Hampshire Rec

Another dreadful bag of shite, no guts, no fight which is what we are built on.
Cas was swamped and no one to help him, we sold Fred and leave McTom on the bench?
2nd half was diabolical
FFS it was Spurs!!

90 + 5min

We weren’t good enough but We lost against something else than Tottenham. I’m just empty on emotions when you know before game how We are going to be treated by referees, the FA and VAR.

Cantona in disguise

No, I didn't. I agree with you. Atm. it really looks like we've spent 60 million for a Bruno's sub.
And btw. Bruno plays 95% of the games
Yeah hes never injured he's a machine in that sense. However there are times and games that he needs a rest/dropping etc. So mount would be a good back up. I think that's what will happen eventually. Can't see them both starting the next game.

RK

50-50 game, a bit unlucky. We were very unlikely to be in contention for the title, this will still be a fun season!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
When you get over the shock and anger of the first hour or so after the game, you then remember Bruno missed from 6 yards and Antony hit the post when the game was in the balance.
20 shots as well.

Could very easily have gone our way.

The alarm is real though.
Need to get the midfield sorted asap.

Hester_manc

The first 2 games have been miserable from United and we should have had 0 points. Exactly like the start of the season last season. The question is, is it a coincidence that we have started the last 2 seasons so badly? Or if there is something in the preparations for our season that is not good enough?

The players seem to be out of form. There are a lot of mispasses and several of the offensive players are very static and watch football instead of running into position when we have the ball.

Matt851

I mean, I'd give it more than 2 games before writing the transfer window off.
Onana was a good signing, Hojland seems overpriced but could turn out to be a good signing but mount is just a horrible use of limited funds when we were desperate for an 8 and I just don't see how it will work out. Even if he does improve spending that much on a player who hadn't played well for over a year and who no one else was in for seems dubious

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 282 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Tottenham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Tottenham 1:1 Man Utd