g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

CL L Champions League Group B

VfL Wolfsburg 3:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 08 December 2015

SirFergie

Cleverly walks into our team at present. His strength was possession football and hes playing well for everton.

All we fecking do is pass the ball. He'd be like Xavi.

Welbeck, Nani, Kagawa, Hernandez.
Erm, no he doesn't.

Welbeck wouldn't solve our problems in front of goal. He's a good footballer, but he's no Ruud van Nistelrooy. Nani had run out of chances, Kagawa performed rarely to his potential in a United shirt and Chicha wanted to leave.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
I haven't heard it mentioned but I wonder if that goal would have been awarded had Mata not wheeled away celebrating as though he had touched it ? I think that may have sowed the seed of doubt in the heads of the Wolfsburg players and the match officials.
Don't think that influenced the officials myself. If he touched the ball or not is a bit irrelevant, him being in that offside position has frozen the keeper who has to wait and see if Mata would get a touch, if Mata wasn't there it's simple to read that cross.

Fully Fledged

Been seeing a lot of people praising how "exhilarating" and how well we attacked against Wolfsburg. Standards have truly fallen if that could be termed "exhilarating". We were slightly better than recent outings but nowhere near good enough.

And yes I know we were injury riddled.
I couldn't agree more I thought I'd accidentally logged on to the Villa website with how many people are so proud of losing to Wolfsburg. I mean Wolfsburg are hardly Bayern, RM or Barca are they.

clarkydaz

Erm, no he doesn't.

Welbeck wouldn't solve our problems in front of goal. He's a good footballer, but he's no Ruud van Nistelrooy. Nani had run out of chances, Kagawa performed rarely to his potential in a United shirt and Chicha wanted to leave.
not sure about that one

pacifictheme

Erm, no he doesn't.

So Cleverly isn't a better option in cm in a possession based team than Fellaini. Mmm hmm.

Welbeck is an established player who plays very well from a wide area. I agree hes no ruud but no one else we have is either. He provides strength in depth and experience. Martial is inconsistent. Mata is slow and depay is up and down like a yoyo. Welbeck absolutely improves us at present. He works tirelessly.

SirFergie

So Cleverly isn't a better option in cm in a possession based team than Fellaini. Mmm hmm.

Welbeck is an established player who plays very well from a wide area. I agree hes no ruud but no one else we have is either. He provides strength in depth and experience. Martial is inconsistent. Mata is slow and depay is up and down like a yoyo. Welbeck absolutely improves us at present. He works tirelessly.
Are you seriously suggesting that Cleverley is the answer to our problems? FFS. People couldn't wait to get rid of him when he was here now he's the next Zidane.

pacifictheme

Are you seriously suggesting that Cleverley is the answer to our problems? FFS. People couldn't wait to get rid of him when he was here now he's the next Zidane.
Not at all. Talk about an over reaction. I'm saying hes better than fellaini at possession football. And considering Carrick and BFS are a) barely capable of playing 90 minutes and b) not playing very well, Cleverley over FELLAINI massively improves our squad and right now, team. I'm sure you're not pig shit thick but man are you coming across that way.

EDIT: have you even watched what good football Everton play and how he contributes?

EDIT 2: at the moment i could look like Zidane compared to our midfirld. And i was left out of a 5 a side team who got knocked out of the group stages of a corporate football tournament in 2013.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
So now I've watched it back, a few things:

Blind - after 1 minute, the opposition are through on goal because he was out of position and forced both Smalling and Valera to shift across to cover. Then he gave away the foul for the goal by coming out of position again. Then about a minute after he did the same thing again and ended up wrong side of the ball and had to foul someone. Then on the second goal he decided to go chasing shadows instead of staying with a man. He IS NOT A CENTREBACK. Don't get me wrong he wasn't the only one at fault, but these are mistakes someone who knows how to play in this position just doesn't make. Although at least we've finally found someone who doesn't take corners like a six year old girl who's never kicked a football before.

Schweinsteiger - Seems to have been getting loads of stick, but why was he playing in midfield all on his own? How was this ever going to work? Fellaini wasn't in midfield, he was running about everywhere except where he should have been. Schweinsteiger isn't a 28 year old Michael Carrick. He can't play that role and arguably no one can. Even Carrick at his best used to struggle with it when he was left that alone and he was basically designed in a factory to play in that specific role.

Darmian - Anyone else notice he looks decent at left back and lost at right back? Almost as if he's actually a left back or something

Fellaini - Please stop

Lingard - I like him but the fact he's getting games...important ones, while Januzaj is on loan due to supposedly not being needed, is pretty amazing.

LeftyBlaster

Blind - after 1 minute, the opposition are through on goal because he was out of position and forced both Smalling and Valera to shift across to cover. Then he gave away the foul for the goal by coming out of position again. Then about a minute after he did the same thing again and ended up wrong side of the ball and had to foul someone. Then on the second goal he decided to go chasing shadows instead of staying with a man. He IS NOT A CENTREBACK. Don't get me wrong he wasn't the only one at fault, but these are mistakes someone who knows how to play in this position just doesn't make. Although at least we've finally found someone who doesn't take corners like a six year old girl who's never kicked a football before.

Schweinsteiger - Seems to have been getting loads of stick, but why was he playing in midfield all on his own? How was this ever going to work? Fellaini wasn't in midfield, he was running about everywhere except where he should have been. Schweinsteiger isn't a 28 year old Michael Carrick. He can't play that role and arguably no one can. Even Carrick at his best used to struggle with it when he was left that alone and he was basically designed in a factory to play in that specific role.

Darmian - Anyone else notice he looks decent at left back and lost at right back? Almost as if he's actually a left back or something

Fellaini - Please stop

Lingard - I like him but the fact he's getting games...important ones, while Januzaj is on loan due to supposedly not being needed, is pretty amazing.
Can't disagree with any of that :lol:

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict

Fellaini - Please stop

:lol:

You're a masochist if you watched that back for a second time.

Spock

Fellaini - Please stop

A top summary.

I like the job Blind has been doing at CB but it can't go on much longer. We'd benefit immensely from his services in midfield, where his new experience as a pure defender with his excellent passing abilities could add something we've been lacking this season midfield.

Darmian definitely looks much better at left back than right back and Varela looks, early days no doubt, better than Darmian at right back.

The Fellaini thing has to end. I wish him well, but we need to find a new club for him.

Last thought: Yes, we lost the game, but I trust other caftards will agree we looked much better without Rooney than with him. We fell apart on the back line but going forward we searched intelligently and with passion. We just didn't have the quality on the wings to create confusion amidst the Wolfsburg back line. Mata isn't the greatest 10 on the planet but he's a vast upgrade on Rooney, or at least the Rooney we've seen under LVG.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 493 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolfsburg win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 19% Wolfsburg 0:1 Man Utd
  • 18% Wolfsburg 0:0 Man Utd