EL L Europa League Final

Villarreal 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 26 May 2021

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Rashford missing a clear goal chance is one reason we lost, another is obviously the lack of subs. In 99 games we Will beat Villareal, but you could see their huddle in the second half of ot and feel their conviction and willingness to do anything for the win. I got a feeling from the united players that it was more "meh".
It would have been off I think (Bruno)

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Villareal deserved it I feel. They were better in what they were meant to do, than we were in what we were meant to do. For the players we have we were very poor. The opening ten minutes i knew they were playing for a draw or a set piece goal.

We had 60 percent of the possession and barely troubled them. Bar the first twenty minutes of the second half.

Worrying for Ole i feel. The top coaches have to motivate the players and i dont think he can do it. Thankfully its only the shitty Europa League.

The Hilton

That was there game plan and it worked
Doesn't make them the better team, they won because Rashford missed a sitter and got through to a penalty lottery.

Anti football at its finest, never deserving of the win.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Plus note, being in pot B looks like you'll miss a lot of the bigger clubs in the UCL group stage next season than being in pot A
Group A: PSG, Man Utd, Dortmund, Ajax

Group B: Lille, Chelsea, FC Copenhagen, Spartak Dogfeck

My only Eric

Ole's management today has overtaken the decision to leave fred on vs psg. And the gap is huge

Pughnichi

Truly horrific final
Maybe if Ole mad a sub earlier we wouldn’t have been so disjointed in ET. Would have been fully justified as well with a couple of shocking performances. Awful in game management before panic subs with penalties in mind.
How Rashford stays on
How DDG doesn’t commit to a corner at pens..or even save 1 is almost laughable.

RonW

Look, you can say what you want about not having a good enough subs bench to make replacements earlier, that may be true, but EVERYONE knew that Dr Gea is hopeless on penalties and Henderson is good at them and yet he didn't make the sub, just dreadful management there.
Yep, that's when you need to be a bold manager and make subs at the right time instead of tiring them out. Any body knows DDG doesn't save them. For being the highest paid player in the team, and I think he earns more than most of the Villareal players combined, he really should be saving more.

rk4utd

I was bloody livid after 60 minutes when we still kept Rashford on who had done literally nothing - after 120 minutes I was resigned to what followed - just glad I’ve not travelled out there like those poor sods behind the goal....

MrBest

This is why I believe Ole is not the one to take us to glory. No subs in the first 90, took ages to bring on Fred, but for Greenwood. Rashford somehow played 120 mins (pen or not), we took no risks with only 3 attempts at goal. He bottled it, was gutless and that is why we lost. Villareal were awful and played for penalties. We held the ball pretty much for 90 mins, didn't do much with it and then for the final 30 mins, we were exhausted, and started to get out run.

I know our second team are not at the same level as City or another big club, but they can do the job if given the chance. This same 11 drew at home to Fulham, a team of youngsters beat Wolves away. How can Ole not trust someone from that game to come on and do a job in the first 90.

This club needs big signings in the summer and Ole needs to grow some balls and take risks as well as utilising his squad to preserve energy and have a plan b and c. 4 years for a trophy is a long wait, 5 years is longer and I don't see us winning anymore anytime soon with this mentality and playing style. I am disappointed, but we finished second so we just need to power on from here and learn, but fast.

DevilRed

Rashford needs to fecking fix himself and put his fitness as a priority over playing in the euros.

Every season that fecking guy is limping around.

We really should go for Sancho because you just can't rely on our wing players. Too inconsistent and always crocked.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Stats don't say that. We have only 75 odd PL points. We have zero cups again. We imploded as per usual in the last part of the season.

And we gifted the game to them today. The manager failed horrifically in the most important game of the season and also of his managerial career.
Oh come on. Compared to where we were when Ole came in to now? We've improved beyond recognition whilst clearing some absolute garbage out of the club and instilling a far better culture at the club.

I don't think he'll be here for years and years, but Ole will be leaving us on the right road to longterm success in a couple of seasons.

G-MUFC

We are awful. We only finished 2nd in the league as Chelsea had a poor first half of the season and Liverpool had key injuries. We'll be nowhere near the title next season.
As for the Champions League, we may as well not even turn up if we can't beat a basic Villereal side.

Such awful, slow, and predictable football.

Trondivan

The likes of Pogba and Bruno can be ashamed. Shit performance. The rest - just average.

wolvored

People can shit chat about McTominay all they fecking want but he was pur best player tonight.

Maybe if our other so called top player performed, we'd have finished this game in normal time.

People will of course blame Ole but his players let him down tonight. That front four should have got the job done. Not good enough. Im gutted. Really am!
Yes he was.

hobbers

I have some bad news for all the people whinging about Ole, the players are not good enough.
Not good enough to beat Villareal? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We lost tonight because Ole is not good enough. We had this game in our hands and pissed it up the wall because our manager is a deer in fecking headlights in these occasions.

Gazautd18

Ole's tactic.
Hope that someone does something special.
Players looked tired the longer it went on.
So much for our attacking force.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
It's on Ole. Rashford is never going to be the level we need and playing him while he is injured, I predict his career will tail off at 27.

snk123

Rashford and Greenwood can not play in the same fecking team. Been saying this over and over.

Had we played Pogba on the left we would have won. Rashy/Greenwood would have come on and gotten a cushion goal.

Walters_19_MuFc

What must DVDB be thinking ? Surely OGS has to show more trust in him as a potential game changing sub as the game was drifting. And surely he can take a f****** penalty too.
Who would you have taken off for him?

Also, encase you forgot, our 10 outfield players scored a pen.

NickJ

No excuses for Ole he’s a coward of a. Manager he’s done ok but will never take us to the next level!

Giggs86

De Gea, what an absolute bottler. Let everyone down singlehandedly with his weak hands and week feet and week mentality. Time to step down

killerboi2

As garbage as Rashford was, wasn't Fernandes offside on the build up to his chance?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Of course let’s all blame Ole.

Shocking forum
He’s the bloody manager and he sat on his hands for 105 minutes!

Why is he bulletproof to you? Did you feel this way when fans turned on LVG or Mourinho?

Rustyspider13

Gutted. Frustrated. Dejected.

We were good second half and should've put the game away then. DDG was never saving a penalty and I don't blame him for missing his either. But he has to take his share of the blame for that horrendous kick which started the chain of mistakes that led to their goal. Pogba, Shaw and Lindelof have to take responsibility too.

Rashford should've gone off. Mason was the only forward who looked on it from the start. The only reason Mason should've been taken off is if he was too tired to last. Ole didn't have much attacking options on the bench but sometimes fresh squad players can do the job better than tired quality players. Injuries to Maguire and Fred didn't help either.

A decent season ends horribly. Ole has done reasonably well with this crop of players. Time to make some moves in the transfer market for the next step. We wasted last summer, we can't waste this one.

Red Star One

So our manager doesn’t make require subs as always, fails to win in full time against a much inferior team but it’s all our GKs fault as he didn’t bail us out in penalties l. Embarrassing really to see all the blame going De Gea’s way.

atkar83

While the penalties are demoralizing, and you knew De Gea wasn't going to come close to any of them, I was over this game when we kept passing out from the back in extra time. With Bailey and Lindelof...in the rain...with Fred in front of them...all players who have given up the ball in bad situations plenty of times this season. Yet you invite pressure on them when you know they won't be able to pass the ball out. Nothing good was going to come out of that situation and it just carried onto the penalties.

Who cares about De Geas feelings. This should have been about winning. Apparently Rashford is the new unsubbable captain now too.

Kristian S

Ole is a clueless manager. He is tactically inept. Never gets his substitutions right. It seems like he can't motivate his players. Villarreal were there for the taking in the 2nd half and we just backed off. Never gonna win anything with him. With our rivals strengtening, we are going to be fighting for 4th next season and that is it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
3 shots on target in 120 minutes. Can't complain about not winning. Didn't do enough.
I just logged and saw the score by mistake.

fecksake Ole. We couldn't even beat Villareal.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We desperately need a world class CB and an attacking RB. Lindelof and AWB were useless tonight.
Don’t get me started on AWB. Absolutely pointless in general and even more so tonight. Tied with Rashford for worst player on the pitch.

bsCallout

Game went as many expected. Ole could have made some changes earlier but we really lacked the quality in the final third. Rashford should have been off at half time.

McT, AWB & Greenwood had games they could be proud of.

See you next season.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Has been a decent season still, sadly not with a trophy as we hoped.

Ole made mistakes today, he rested the entire team against Wolves so probably thought the players could get through 120 minutes today but they clearly looked tired.

McT was very good, Greenwood was not bad either, Bruno improved in the 2nd half. Cavani was decent. Pogba so so. Rashford bad.

Not even mad at DDG, he is just bad at penalties.

oses14

Supports
FC Dallas (USA, hardly tho)
Ole and DDG single handily threw this game.
Ole- not making any subs till the 100th minute or so.
DDG- reasons I stated in my last post

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 304 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Villarreal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Villarreal 1:2 Man Utd