CL W Champions League Group F

Manchester United 2:1 Villarreal

Post-match discussion

Wed, 29 September 2021

Andersons Dietician

Thank feck for that :lol: Villarreal probably the better team over the 90 and probably should have berried us, but that last 30 we put it to them even though we didn’t create that many good opportunities

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Thankfully I didn't watch first half (going by reactions it was a torture?). 2nd half we were better team I would say. Still our usual issues with play style remain but Ole the cat carries on with another life. Hugely important win nonetheless given the circumstances.

stubie

Ronaldo saves the Norwegian John Carver

That will be a regular headline this season

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It was a poor in terms of performance and very frustrating at times. But I see people say this kind of stuff and you simply cannot remember some of the dour life sucking shite we played under the previous 3
I can and that was just as bad. Difference is we have a team with much better individuals who can produce moments of magic to bail us out.

Dash247

Cavani, Lingard, Matic, and Fred made difference as a sub.
Cavani presses so hard.

We should be easily dominating and winning games likes this and especially at home.

Good Volley by Telles.
Love the last minute goals. Good Stuff.

De Gea is my MOM.

OverratedOpinion

This is the reason Ronaldo signing was so exciting for me.

Not because of the goals and the fact we won. Football is a spectator sport and hugely about the feelings it invokes. Seeing Ronaldo score a last-minute winner for us in the Champions League and seeing Sir Alex celebrate it live is something that people will not get to experience again in the future.

As a side note to that, Cavani was absolutely fantastic when he came on even though he should have scored.

Banana Republic

Taking Pogba off was the turning point.
We quickened up our attacking moves from that point and bring Matic on allowed us to take some badly needed control in midfield.
Don’t unrated Matic’s impact from the point he came on. He gave us the drive that was totally lacking with Pogba and Bruno earlier.
Scotty came into the game second half, after being anonymous for the first.…..and Fred? He created the winning chance with that cross.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Papering over the cracks which are getting bigger every match. A real Dick Turpin job. We cannot play any worse than that first half. Everton next and we can’t keep playing like this. Buy a decent defensive midfielder.
Get rid of Pogba for starters. Treated the game like it was five aside with your mates.

The White Pele

Thank f*k for that. A massive 3 points.

I have absolutely no clue what our best XI is anymore.

Yakuza_devils

Individual Brilliance again from Telles to level the game. At the end, we got a little bit of luck with Ronaldo's goal.

Cavani's pressing alone in the final third is impressive.

What's wrong with Sancho?

Overall our team style of play is still nowhere near a top club should be.

SirAnderson

Honestly don't know what to do with myself now :lol: Was planning to mop around all night and all day tomorrow for the last 90 minutes of that match, and Ronaldo changed it all around. Can I celebrate though? Or is that still not allowed?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I love Ronaldo.... just superb

I can't be arsed about anything else tonight. Just happy for the win. Subs did well.

Oranges038

Horrible game. Just awful, they are well organised in defence and are hard to break down. All they did was look for the counter and they just played on Dallot all night and eventually got a goal from it after about 20 tries. No idea how they can't see that on the line or one the pitch and put a stop to it.

Utd were shite all night, no composure or cohesion. Seems to be very little chemistry or understanding between the players. Pogba is not a cm, midfield was non existent with him in there, he just jogged back for their goal with no intent in his run. Dalot should never be let on the pitch again, he is so far out of his depth. Great strike from Telles and a smash and grab from Ronny. Thoroughly undeserved win. But it was a great way to win it.

OmarUnited4ever

Happy for the win obviously but tonight only De Gea really showed up bailed our asses this game.. we were so so shiiit today.. to struggle like this, be bereft of ideas and goals only from a set piece and last min hurrah means we got our asses rescued tonight..

This is unacceptable at all!!!

Inter Yer Nan

Ronaldo’s saves our blushes. Undeserved win but I’ll take it. AWB cost us the Young Boys match so it evens out somewhat. Kudos to Telles for his contribution at both ends, first with the goal, then the block at 1-1. Also Lingard with a key part in the goal.

SAFMUTD

Bailed out by an impressive performance by De Gea, an screamer from Telles and SIUUUU.

Still we were shit, Ole needs to go. The result will mask the performance but it was ridiculously bad before Telles goal. Impressive how such talented players look so bad.

Devil may care

Big 3 points but it just papers over the cracks imo, we were once again directionless in attack and bypassed in midfield, but Villareal couldn't finish their dinner and we got level via a 1 in a 1000 strike and then the crowd and Ronaldo got us the smash and grab win.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Honestly don't know what to do with myself now :lol: Was planning to mop around all night and all day tomorrow for the last 90 minutes of that match, and Ronaldo changed it all around. Can I celebrate though? Or is that still not allowed?
Drink. Then drink some more.

Drinking in the first half cos we were so shite. Carrying on now and laughing

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
This is the reason Ronaldo signing was so exciting for me.

Not because of the goals and the fact we won. Football is a spectator sport and hugely about the feelings it invokes. Seeing Ronaldo score a last-minute winner for us in the Champions League and seeing Sir Alex celebrate it live is something that people will not get to experience again in the future.

As a side note to that, Cavani was absolutely fantastic when he came on even though he should have scored.
Couldn't agree more

RedIan

VR must be kicking themselves they had so many chances first half, cut through us like a hot knife through butter. We were dreadful for 60 minutes. Only when we went 0-1 down did we wake up and start to press and show some sort of urgency. Great finish and big up Ronaldo but there are some serious issues with the tactics tonight. Felt like we played 4-1-5 ffs.
Happy to win but gutted we were so poor for so long. Lucky Ole I Guess.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
I have to say, that was a fantastic bit of decision making from Jesse to lay it off rather than take a shot at it himself. Fair play to lad.
DDG kept us in it, but I have feeling that we’re Villarreal better at shooting we would have been 5 down by half time.
I certain hope this doesn’t gloss over how awful a team we are under ole. This was a horrible game with ‘moments of brilliance’. Cavani chasing that ball…what a player he is. Outstanding determination to win. Love the guy.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Matic and Cavani changed the whole game. I had called for this change in the first half because it was clear as day seeing our midfield being overrun because ronaldo and pogba are shit at closing in and generally defending.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 85% of 414 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 373 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Villarreal win
  • Draw