PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Watford

Post-match discussion

Wed, 02 March 2016

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Ighalo wont sleep well tonight.
I'm surprised he wasn't subbed off at half time.
Every chance given to him on a plate, right in front of goal and he messed every single one of those up.

prath92

who gives a shit? We Won. Its much better than a draw or a loss irrespective of how you play :p

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Watford kept up a ridiculously high pace pressing game for the first 55 minutes, and we couldn't handle it. Somehow we kept it to 0-0 until then, and then it became obvious that Watford were struggling to maintain that tempo and were starting to drop off. Then we started taking control, although Watford continued to have the odd moment where they could/should have scored.

SalfordRed1960

Looking a lot better when we have the ball, we pass and switch a lot quicker and there is more attacking intent, but as you would expect a bit dodgy at the back.

Blind had a bit of a nightmare with his passing.

Martial showed why we should never play him on the right, he is wasted. Good decision by LVG to switch and put Rashford on the right in 2nd half.

Schniederlin is starting to get how to play that role, I have been been very impressed with him over last 4 games. Depay starting to grow into the physicality of the PL.

LVG needs to work on the training ground with the guys when we play these pressing teams, because we don't seem to be able to handle it.

CM

I hope we have another gritty performance left in us. West Brom away is going to be a proper ballache.

Oneunited26

Thank feck from that, one said is the top 4 on? it is, man city look like they have lost more fight than anyone else. They look like the united from Christmas time, so the race for the CL with 10 games to go is very much up for grabs, a relief we have won this match which they had to with how everyone else dropped points

mu77

We did better in the 2nd half, but the mood on here is predominantly negative. The amount of times Fergies time won like this wont be mentioned much either.
neither will fergie finishing 4th in the prem.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Very poor performance apart from about 15 minutes. Fortunately we got the three point and everyone else above playing tonight fecked up.

space

Great second half, Watford played very well and they are a dangerous team, the smaller teams are the ones that challenge us and we've shown some strength to keep fighting and winning it in the end. I thought Mata was brilliant all second half, and Rashford excellent. Rojo was very poor, and DDG very good. Blind had a poor game as the leading defender, Fosu was good. Everytime Fosu was on the ball I thought he'd mess up, but each time he came out okay. Morgan and Herrera were poor first half but great second. Though the subs were decent too by LVG. After playing so much, the team must have been tired, that game was all about the points and we came out on top. Look at how our direct rivals fared!

Charlie Foley

Thoughts:

We had plenty of those wins under Fergie.

Not a great performance. Big difference now is we're pulling wins out of the bag. Over winter that would have been a draw/1-0 loss.

Rashford looked good on the right, glad he has that flexibility.

Ighalo...dear god. Someone send him a box of Roses or something.

Very pleased that despite the poor performance, we were quite willing to play vertically, especially in the second half. Rather than the depressing sideways rubbish we've seen a lot this season.

Beautiful goal by Mata. I thought he was going to come off just before Ander did but thank god he stayed on! As for the Herrera substitution, I thought it was a bit of a surprise, as we were just starting to grab the game by the throat. Worked out ok in the end though.

Memphis has got his mojo back. Not quite as 'sparkling' tonight as last week but showed steely toughness, which has been my biggest issue with him this season. Held the ball up well near the end.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
We did better in the 2nd half, but the mood on here is predominantly negative. The amount of times Fergies time won like this wont be mentioned much either.
There were many positives. Our back 4 were Varela, an 18 yo first start, Rojo back from injury and Blind and they kept a clean sheet. Normal jitters in the first half after a very recent win over Arsenal. They really kicked on in the 2nd half and you could really see the urgency in which they tried to get that goal. Thought every attacker that started the game pulled their weight.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
I'm absolutely delighted, lads. We were fecking atrocious in the first half, but our poor performance was somewhat understable considering the three games in the space of 7 days last week. I'm not sure how we didn't concede at least one goal tonight, but it's a fecking massive victory with Arsenal, City and Spurs all losing. The result is the most important thing, without a doubt.

Still, Watford deserve credit for their performance. Capoue was very good and they played a very physical game with aggressive pressing in midfield and their strikers' were a handful. We played better in the second half, especially between the 60th and 70th minute, when we were very close to opening the score. Thankfully, Mata's brilliant freekick clinched us the 3 points.

Blind was atrocious, wheres Herrera wasn't much better. Varela had many problems against Capoue, but recovered in the second half and made an attacking impact as well.

Schneiderlin was a fecking machine tonight, carried our midfield almost single-handedly.

Memphis wasn't as effective. Nyom's physicality proved to be too much for him, but still did well defensively and is invaluable when holding onto a lead in the final few minutes of a game when the ball is in your possession.

Martial didn't have the best game, but was still instrumental in our goal. He was too busy covering for Varela on the right in the first half and didn't really have a chance to make a difference when Van Gaal moved him centrally in the second.

Rashford was great. What a fecking talent the boy is! Had some very neat moments in the first half (link-up play especially) and was very good on the right wing as well. Showed his great acceleration, quick thinking and wonderful technique. He doesn't look out of place at all, which is fecking brilliant.

goin4glory

Let's be honest here that performace was absolutely appalling. Watford should have scored at least 2 in the first half alone. Need to step it up especially with the teams around us falling apart.

stubie

4th game in just over a week so a sluggish performance was probably inevitable.

Saying that a good night overall

Charlie Foley

Think it's a bit harsh how low a rating Martial is getting. I'd say about 6/10 but surprised people are going lower. Coming back from injury, hasn't played with Rashford/Varela much, we know he's not good on the right...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Awful performance, great free kick saved us really. We actually have a shot for top 4 since arsenal and City are in free fall

Djemba-Djemba

An absolutely crucial victory.

I'd given up on top 4 but with Arsenal in meltdown and City looking dogshit, God knows. We may have a chance.

Thisistheone

Winning when not at your best. Great 3 points. Tough conditions and a tough outfit in Watford. Thought we got much better after 60 minutes when Rashford went right and Martial went central.

Memphis showed good attitude. Mata produced a rabbit from the hat. Rashford showed glimpses of class. Schneiderlin was excellent again and TFM had a very promising debut after a nervous opening period.

Nogbadthebad

I thought TFM was very good, especially after the early yellow and against a physical front line, he was better than Blind all game.

Rashford is a bit more than a kid who gets a few goals in his first few games, movement again was good, but I think its telling that the turning point in the game for us was when he switched with Martial.
Rashford saw the ball more and took them on, he sparked us and took responsibility. That's not Macheda, that's Whiteside.

Great in spells, the makeshift defence was where you would expect.

If anyone thinks that was not a good result, take a look at the team that was on the pitch at the final whistle. That is astonishing.

diarm

Not a great performance but I'm delighted with the win. Credit to Fosu-Mensah who aside from a couple of rash moments, had a very accomplished game against one of the most difficult pairs in the league and alongside a centre back partner who had a complete and utter meltdown.

Ticks for De Gea, Varela, Schneiderlin and Rashford who also had fine games. Martial didn't look fit and also at times, like he didn't want to be out there which was concerning to see. Memphis again struggled against a deep lying defence. Without space to attack, his effectiveness is very limited.

I was really disappointed with the performances of Herrera and Mata. I felt they left the attacking responsibilty to the younger lads and for large spells, Mata in particular lacked the bottle to either battle for the ball, or take possession of it in the tight spaces. But then he scored the goal! So all is forgiven!

Herrera needs to cop on with those loose pass backs which put his centre backs under needless pressure. There must've been 7 or 8 really bad ones today.

Last word for Van Gaal who I thought had a very good day. We were all delighted with the team he picked and regardless of the eventual performance, it took real guts and attacking intent to pick it. Moving Rashford out to the right was an excellent move and going for broke with another attacking midfielder was brave. Then when we scored, he made the right move by bringing McNair in to shore things up. Simple things but it was good to see the right decisions made all day.

Blzbud

The weather was shit.

Watford's press in the first half was intense. We were sloppy and lethargic, both Blind and Ander were almost menstrual in their fragility.

Second half we ran more, they got tired after an hour. Sparks of something, but only sparks.

Hugs to Captain Mata.

Rashford, well obviously Rashford, but take a serious bow TFM, U18 defender in the midst of a shambles that was very little of his making. Against those two strikers, I think he deserves an immense amount of credit for how he stood up to the challenge.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Didnt see the game. But based on what I read we were playing like shit again and got a lucky result.

We wont be lucky in every game till the end of the season and we will need to win most of them if we want top 4. Seeing City struggle does give some hope. It would be alazing if theyd be the ones to miss out on CL football. But if LVG cant string together some good consistent performances he has got to regardless of what happens or how many youngsters he gives a debut in the team.

vk20legend

On the day when Arsenal, Spurs and City slip up, we get a scrappy win..

I'll take it.. Considering the squad has been about the same for these 4 matches in 9 days.. I'll definitely take a scrappy 1-0 win courtesy of a beautifully caressed Juan Mata freekick..

Blind had a tough time today.. But TFM was very good considering he had to mark either Ighalo or Deeney.. Varela was good again.. Fighting for everything and was running up and down the right wing..

Rashford did well on the right wing in the second half.. Martial is better off through the center and if we need to play both Martial and Rashford, i would prefer Rashford on the wings.. He has played there before..

Good to see some of the injured players back.. Always a welcome sight that.. Was worried about Rojo last game when he went off injured.. Glad it's not serious and good he got minutes under his belt..

FT United 1 - Watford 0

Who's next?! Bring it on..

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 507 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results