PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 West Bromwich Albion

Post-match discussion

Sat, 07 November 2015

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
Decent performance against a team with zero intention of making the match interesting.

Smalling, BFS, Martial, and Lingard were all very good.

Rooney has been better the last two matches but still needs to improve his play and bugging thing would be his speed of play. He slows things down too much in the final third.

We're definitely improving which is good to see.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
It's not great to watch but 3 points a first goal for a very promising young lad and a debut for another. Sadly it's now the international break.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Decent performance against a team with zero intention of making the match interesting.

Smalling, BFS, Martial, and Lingard were all very good.

Rooney has been better the last two matches but still needs to improve his play and bugging thing would be his speed of play. He slows things down too much in the final third.

We're definitely improving which is good to see.
His days up front are gone TBF. His best position now would be in midfield, and have pacey players up top

tom33

The worst performance I've seen end up as a win in a very long time. Created very little and wasted the few chances we did cobble together. Got a bit of fortune with the opening goal and then looked utterly clueless for the rest of the game until we finally caught them on the break and won a penalty.

QuackQuack

Handy with candles and exhausts
I have a special spot for Rojo and I have to give it to him, he's definitely becoming more comfortable in the LB position. I'm really pleased for lingard, great goal. I think our players struggled with west broms negative approach to the game but all in all, I have a positive outlook. Hopefully we can build on this.

MDFC Manager

The worst performance I've seen end up as a win in a very long time. Created very little and wasted the few chances we did cobble together. Got a bit of fortune with the opening goal and then looked utterly clueless for the rest of the game until we finally caught them on the break and won a penalty.
:lol:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
White text?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Very pleased we managed to break a team parking the bus. I’m glad we got another clean sheet.

Other than that, meh. But I guess we have nothing to complain about, looking at the bigger picture.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Average performance but we won. We were showing zero attaching intent for so long. Had more players showed any interest in shooting we could've scored several. Thank God Lingard decided to have a pop.

tom33

White text?
Maybe it looked better on TV? I'm honestly usually quite positive, particularly if we win, but attacking-wise we were poor and I find it hard to believe that anyone can think otherwise.

Edit: I should probably add that part of my opening statement in that first post was referencing the fact that I think we quite often play well and don't win, but rarely play poorly and win.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
3 points in the bag. This is a marathon not a sprint. The other teams will surely have their slips and we need to focus on our games and grind as many points out until the holidays and see how we stack up against the front runners. I firmly believe we can challenge for the title this year, even with the lack of visits to the net. We are a much more composed unit and defensively we are more stable and accustomed. I feel like we have much more potential from the transition to attack and espcially counters. Enough room for improvement, but things are looking 'relatively' good at this point.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Maybe it looked better on TV? I'm honestly usually quite positive, particularly if we win, but attacking-wise we were poor and I find it hard to believe that anyone can think otherwise.
I'm not sure what you were expecting today but we totally dominated the game against one of the most negative outfits in the premier league. I don't think if Barca or Bayern played that west Brom team we would see anything different besides perhaps a few more moments of individual brilliance. I'm not sure if it's expectations or what but I think people have gone too far with this boring football script, the game was fine, had open spells and we were the better team easily walking away with the points.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Fair enough for West Brom to come and park the bus, but after going a goal down you'd think they'd go forward more then they did. Comfortable win in the end. Smalling and Schweinsteiger are just tanks. Can expect to see a few of these over the next month or 2, only Leicester will really come out and attack us probably.

UnitedinRed

Ms LvG
:lol:

Sigh

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Once again, lacking one (or two.. or three...) in the centre who can really gather a central pass, turn their man, and dribble towards goal through the centre in that AM position, or take opposition players out of the game. Martial shows this ability at times, but he's stationed to high up to influence the flow of the game.

Thus creativity can only come from out wide, and the central play is slow and overly-measured. They're all getting the ball in the centre, realising they haven't the ability to go past anyone, and then playing it backwards, sidewards or dropping deep with it.

There will never be a great tempo to the attack if it's always so reliant on passing the ball around banks of four, because of all these extra touches and slow sideways passes. At some point someone has to offer a bit of dribbling to create angles and inject pace into attacks.

It's made even worse by having wingers who also can't consistently beat their man. This attack/Attacking mid area is still really below par.

tom33

I'm not sure what you were expecting today but we totally dominated the game against one of the most negative outfits in the premier league. I don't think if Barca or Bayern played that west Brom team we would see anything different besides perhaps a few more moments of individual brilliance. I'm not sure if it's expectations or what but I think people have gone too far with this boring football script, the game was fine, had open spells and we were the better team easily walking away with the points.
Hmm, Bayern and Barca have much more cohesive attacks. Just look at the number of times we ended up passing the ball to nobody because someone didn't make the run that the passer was expecting. Or the number of times Smalling or Carrick had the ball with time and space in thr middle of the pitch and ended up passing backwards or sideways because nobody was making a run ahead of them. There were odd flashes of decent football, but it was generally poor.

tom33

As I've said, I'm largely referencing the fact that we rarely win while playing poorly. Obviously we've played worse and lost, but we've also played much better and lost on occasion.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
2 goals scored - good.
3 points scored - excellent.
1 point from the top of the league -good.
No complaints from me.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I would hate to be a West Brom fan. Imagine forking out for their season ticket.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Happy with the result, frustrated that it is so tough for us to break down teams parking the bus. I have kind of accepted it though till we add firepower up top. Getting early goals in 2-3 games on trot somehow might help as well as it will give opposition team something to think about their game plan and will also give our players confidence.

Hostekule

Once again, lacking one (or two.. or three...) in the centre who can really gather a central pass, turn their man, and dribble towards goal through the centre in that AM position, or take opposition players out of the game. Martial shows this ability at times, but he's stationed to high up to influence the flow of the game.

Thus creativity can only come from out wide, and the central play is slow and overly-measured. They're all getting the ball in the centre, realising they haven't the ability to go past anyone, and then playing it backwards, sidewards or dropping deep with it.

There will never be a great tempo to the attack if it's always so reliant on passing the ball around banks of four, because of all these extra touches and slow sideways passes. At some point someone has to offer a bit of dribbling to create angles and inject pace into attacks.

It's made even worse by having wingers who also can't consistently beat their man. This attack/Attacking mid area is still really below par.
Good assessment. LvG refuses to take any risk in the teams setup. Starting with three low tempo players centrally in Carrick, Scwhein and Rooney at home against West Brom is asking for a dire performance. He gets the win though, so I think he's satisfied.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
3 points, 2 goals, clean sheet, game under control throughout the whole match. No complaints from me.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Watched live on TV, seems very few did?, solid performance, quite enjoyable to watch. As WBA had only conceded 2 goals away before today all season you can see why, plus on the alternative league table that gives us 3 points as we had lost the last 2 matches at home to WBA. Usual negative comments from the usual negative posters, couldn't care less, enjoyed it and we won.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Good assessment. LvG refuses to take any risk in the teams setup. Starting with three low tempo players centrally in Carrick, Scwhein and Rooney at home against West Brom is asking for a dire performance. He gets the win though, so I think he's satisfied.
Personally, I just feel we don't have the players required. You need to be extremely confident in your abilities and technique in order to try to play through teams centrally.
You need to trust your (and your team-mates') ability to pass accurately into tight areas, and your (and your team-mates') ability to control the ball within tight areas.

Not enough of the players are confident/skilled enough. Herrera's one of the few who's willing to try a little, clever dink or turn under pressure - because he come from Bilbao, who played in that experimental style, where they weren't afraid to zip quick balls into each other at all heights and angles.

More players in that mould are needed. Being able to pass accurately from point A to point B isn't enough, if nobody feels comfortable controlling a difficult pass under pressure.
And that's what we're seeing now. Players who can control possession of a game, but don't put the ball into dangerous zones often enough. The ball seems to get passed to everywhere but where it needs to be passed.

Maybe van Gaal shouldn't be trying to force this style of play with players who can't actually do it well enough. So some blame lies with him. But I think it's a good style of play. better players are just needed. I'd say a top passing/possession side needs four or five extremely confident ball players. We see that with Bayern (Lewandowski, Thiago, Costa, Robben, Muller) and we saw that with Guardiola's Barcelona to a greater extent (Busquets, Iniesta, Messi, Xavi)

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Personally, I just feel we don't have the players required. You need to be extremely confident in your abilities and technique in order to try to play through teams centrally.
You need to trust your (and your team-mates') ability to pass accurately into tight areas, and your (and your team-mates') ability to control the ball within tight areas.

Not enough of the players are confident/skilled enough. Herrera's one of the few who's willing to try a little, clever dink or turn under pressure - because he come from Bilbao, who played in that experimental style, where they weren't afraid to zip quick balls into each other at all heights and angles.

More players in that mould are needed. Being able to pass accurately from point A to point B isn't enough, if nobody feels comfortable controlling a difficult pass under pressure.
And that's what we're seeing now. Players who can control possession of a game, but don't put the ball into dangerous zones often enough. The ball seems to get passed to everywhere but where it needs to be passed.

Maybe van Gaal shouldn't be trying to force this style of play with players who can't actually do it well enough. So some blame lies with him. But I think it's a good style of play. better players are just needed. I'd say a top passing/possession side needs four or five extremely confident ball players. We see that with Bayern (Lewandowski, Thiago, Costa, Robben, Muller) and we saw that with Guardiola's Barcelona to a greater extent (Busquets, Iniesta, Messi, Xavi)
I watched Bilbao on Thursday in EL. I really enjoyed the game. They do not worry about losing the ball. It was end to end stuff.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Cheers:
  • Our youth showing up
  • Domination in possession
  • A goal from open play!
Jeers:
  • Only one goal from open play
  • Still a lack of attacking subs
  • Lack of Phil Jones face today.

Revan

Assumptionman
As good as Smalling was (and he was really good), I thought that Blind was even better. Not that he blocked everything in his way, but he also gives calm and great passing from CB position. A priceless player for us.

I went in the end for Lingard as MOTM. He scored a great goal when the result was blocked.

The performance was a bit toothless as usual, but to be fair, it was difficult considering that WBA had no intention of attacking, even when they were losing. 3 points, an another clean sheet, a decent performance by Rooney, and hopefully a signal that he isn't unsubbable regardless of performance.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Everything was set up in a particular way. Booking from the crowd midweek, a string of nil-nils, a sense of frustration. Pulis in the house. We structured totally negative defense. Yet LVG turned it into a triumph. Debut for the young man with the amazing name, and a fabulous goal for Lingard. Top end displays by Bastian, Rooney, Smalling. Well taken peno by Mata after terrific work by another brilliant youngster, Martial. Take a bow King Louis.

eggwithsideburns

I thought it was a decent performance by us. West Brom were never going to make it easy for us to create chances, they parked the bus for most of the game. Still we seem to reluctant to shoot, there was a lot of times in the first half around the edge of the box when we could have taken a shot at goal, glad Lingard did just that and scored a great goal.

Al-T

Not seen it yet but delighted for Jesse Lingard. Van Gaal will give players opportunities but they have to take them and that's what he's doing.

DevilRed

Glad we got the 3 points. Those cnuts never came to play.

Mata and Rooney need benching. More pace required in this team.

Fantastic defending though. Fear factor is well and truly back at OT. Teams will only sit back and defend against us. Thank feck the moyes days are gone. Important 3 points and if only we could score more goals. Especially away from home.

Winrar

forgot the game was today, sigh... thought it was on sunday for some reason.

anyways glad to see us win again with another clean sheet. happy for lingard as well, he deserved that.

edit: just saw lingard's goal. was that the first goal we scored outside the box all season?

siw2007

No the most interesting game but happy with the three points. It's frustrating to play such defensive teams but we have to learn to cope. Really pleased for Lingard, because he scored a great goal after another fine display. He doesn't look like a world beater by any means but his energy, enthusiasm and direct running are refreshing to see. My favourite performance was Schweinsteiger's because he won literally every tackle, drove forwards with the ball and was such a calming influence too.

Really good to go into the break after a win rather than a loss. Hopefully a result or two will go our way tomorrow.

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 637 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Brom win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 40% Man Utd 2:0 West Brom
  • 18% Man Utd 3:0 West Brom