PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:0 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 13 August 2017

caid

Couldn't have gone much better really.
Suppose mata getting a goal or assist or Lukaku getting a 3rd would have made it just that much more perfect
But one match in and most of our attacking players have gotten a goal or assist which weren't that common for them last year.
Gave Matic motm which i thought was pretty notable for a 4-0 win.

Geekie

Can anyone tell me if Herrera was on the bench? Matic and Pogba played so well today that I did not realize Herrera was not on the pitch until late of first half.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
A good football performance by United is so refreshing. :drool:

Great finishing by Lukaku. Great performance by Matic, especially in the first half! Great pace and initiative by Rashford.
Good performances all around. Not a single weak link.

More of the same next weekend please! :drool:

DevilRed

Can anyone tell me if Herrera was on the bench? Matic and Pogba played so well today that I did not realize Herrera was not on the pitch until late of first half.
Im thinking he would likely come back into the team against swansea away. We probably will go 4-3-3.

Mourinho already said that we will change our tactics/personnel based on the opposition/situation. We finally seem to have good better depth to our midfield.

ManuMou

Was Griezmann watching this ? If not someone please hashtag him !!

He probably thinking......if he were there for Mata as#10.......8-0 ?!

I still believe we could get him Jan/summer

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
It was outstanding start to finish and everyone played well or very well

I have a habit of getting carried away, so I'm trying not to get hopes up except to say it was extremely promising

Al-T

Happy thank you more please.

Good start and always enjoy giving West Ham a doing.

Drainy

This is not a day to criticize the guy. He's scored two goals on his fecking debut.

Henry is a tool of a pundit.
He was asked to say how he could improve and pointed out a few moments where he thought his movement wasn't quite there. No problem with that.

red4ever 79

On the bench. We changed formation at home and went with 2 in the middle as opposed to 3

Walters_19_MuFc

Wow! It's only the first game of the season, so I don't want to get too excited, but today's display was fantastic.

From the first whistle to the last, we were constantly on it. Teams normally have their little period in the game, where they threaten, but West Ham didn't have a sniff.

Best performance I've seen at Old Trafford for a while. Superb!

Borden

Buzzing after that performance. Resurrected my belief in Mourinho's project. A true United performance. Hopefully this sets the standard for the rest of the season.

Sambob

Going to win everything, league cup, fa cup, premier league, champions league, French league, 40,000 leagues under the sea.

SalfordRed1960

That was very enjoyable. Took 30 mins to wake up, but intent was there from 1st minute.

Pogba still tries to do too much on his own, Miki, Mata and Rashford need to want the ball more, but too static at times.

With Martial on left and Rashford on the right that would be some speed up top

Last few years we have said we a different team with Carrick, Matic has taken us up a level. And I thought we paid over the odds for him.

Looks like we have a plan for Park the bus teams, now we need a plan for the in your face teams and possession teams.

Jacko21

Old Trafford was bouncing.

Everyone could see the progression. Not letting up in our attack was the most encouraging thing.

Add a flying full-back or a winger that runs in behind and we’re in business.

Proper Mourinho display that.

Nik70

That was a perfect start to the season. I really struggled to make up my mind about our MOM, I settled on Lukaku since we got several lessons last season on how important that first goal is when we dominate. Matic was maybe better in general.

Rashford looks fresh and ready, Martial delivered the goods in 10 minutes. Pogba got a confidence booster. Mata and Mikhi still have another gear. The defence is class, and if (big IF) Jones stays injury free Lindelöf and Smalling will have a hard time getting games. De Gea was ready on their only chance. I'm fecking buzzing!

I also like the fact that Mourinho seems to be taking the squad game seriously, and getting our bench players involved relatively early.
I agree totally. I also gave it to Lukaku though because those two early goals were gold and put us on the way to an easy victory in the end.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
During that 90 minutes felt like bit of fear factor returned and some football style appeared.

Borden

That was very enjoyable. Took 30 mins to wake up, but intent was there from 1st minute.

Pogba still tries to do too much on his own, Miki, Mata and Rashford need to want the ball more, but too static at times.

Last few years we have said we a different team with Carrick, Magic has taken us up a level. And I thought we paid over the odds for him.

Looks like we have a plan for Park the bus teams, now we need a plan for the in your face teams and possession teams.
Scores a goal, is involved in another, and creates several giant chances with sublime passing, is defensively solid and runs his socks off, yet it's not enough. The man can't win. Pogba was, together with Matic, excellent today.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Last few years we have said we a different team with Carrick, Matic has taken us up a level. And I thought we paid over the odds for him.

Away from home and against the big teams we will go with three in midfield.

Werd.

Jose summed it up perfectly post game. We were nervous for the first 15 mins and then played with confidence for rest of the game. We will demolish teams with these sort of confidence levels.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
First time in years, where it looked like our players actually enjoyed playing football.
Fantastic game, and impossible to pick MOTM.
Hope to see more of the same in the next couple matches.

AkaAkuma&

Call me pessimistic but the only weak link was at the LB, Blind is a decent player but he lacks pace. Hope Shaw recovers, comes back and begin playing like he did before he got injured, then United are set to win the league and a few other trophies.

tom33

Kind of forgotten what it was like to have so many MOTM candidates to choose from!

Going forward we were ruthless and I thought every player contributed to that. The back four looked a tiny bit shaky at times if I'm being hyper-critical, but Matic protected them fantastically. Hopefully a few more games with that kind of protection and the defence will start to look a bit more confident.

All in all though, a brilliant game! On to the next one!

RedIke

Walk in the park.

New boys stole the show.

Matic MoTM.

Martial's finishing is so cool and calm. Thats what separates him from Rash.

Now on to next week and do this again.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Happy times are here again.

I'm already a Matic fan. I think we need more players named Nemanja.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Still feel we're a bit wasteful with converting chances, but what a fecking performance. Counter attack, goals, midfield control, with a bit of exciting individual performance.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
The kind of start you dream of making in terms of the result and integration of the new signings.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Scores a goal, is involved in another, and creates several giant chances with sublime passing, is defensively solid and runs his socks off, yet it's not enough. The man can't win. Pogba was, together with Matic, excellent today.
Yeah, he was very good. Wish José would play him further forward in more games, especially against the lower sides.

Man of the Match

Nemanja Matic image Nemanja Matic 66% of 1271 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 1051 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw