PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:0 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 13 August 2017

MadMike

Really positive performance this. I hope one of many to come. Couldn't wish for more on the day.

Matic & Pogba in particular looked amazing in midfield. Lukaku was clinical . Lots of energy and movement from both Mkhi and Mata. Rashford started badly but finished very strongly, unlucky not to score. Great cameo from Martial too.

Just really really pleased for our attack that looked out of sorts last year.

Only good things to say about our defence too. Jones looked good as did Bailly. Blind on the today did very well joining the attack.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
You look like title contenders. Very good game.

With that said West Ham didn't play very well and they exposed themselves to your counter attacks. Your first 2 goals come from a set piece and a counter but at 0-0 when they sat deep and you had to break them down there was still a lack of ideas and it felt a bit like last season. I still think this is still your biggest problem and I don't think it can be solved this summer. All the other title contenders have their problems too though...

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
It's killing him to see these performances from a United side managed by Mourinho. He has it in his head that Mourinho only plays ultra defensive football.
I don't think he said anything too bad. We shouldn't get too carried away by the performance, not matter how good it was.

It actually reminded me a lot of the Southampton match last year - Pogba's debut. There were a lot of encouraging signs in the match, but it proved to be a false dawn.

That said, it was a good performance and it's a welcome start to the season.

rooney1905

Great display from the team. Great set up from Jose. We looked balanced and organized for the majority of the game. Lots of great performances today and some that will get better. Couldn't be happier with our debut players.

TsuWave

i'm buzzing. i forgot how revitalizing a good football performance can be.

Nik70

Matic and Lukaku look like such good buys; they've given you that extra edge that you all lacked last season.
Yeah they were fantastic today. Matic was utterly dominant. Great finishing by Lukaku. His pace (and Rashford's) up top was difficult to contain not to mention his strength.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Reality. The PL is a different beast. It doesn't have a Real or Barcelona but there's more intensity over a whole season with no breaks and 5-6 teams competing at the top
Standard and consistency are two different things. Consistency is required in the Premiership throughout the whole squad and across the whole season. In the Champions League it's more about standard and an exceptional team. Real Madrid's first team is a notch above Barcelona and multiple notches over everyone else.

Last edited:

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Fantastic performance 8/10 from everyone

Couldn't have asked for a better start.

DevilRed

Matic is making a huge difference in midfield. Never even realised he was that skillful on the ball. I knew he could pass it, but that dribble past 3 defenders was something else. :lol:

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
said it once. I'll say it again. Matic could prove to be the buy of the season.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Mourinho has always won the title in his second season.

Sorry but I am fully gonna get carried away after that performance and I don't even care.

Yakuza_devils

Lukaku, Mhkhi, Rashford, Martial, Pogba and Matic are top class. We should find a place to start Martial next game, maybe start him instead of Mata.

We still have Perisic and Zlatan to come, WE GO FOR IT!

Gause

Domination personified! What an entertaining match too! Yesterday's City game was so fecking boring, yet people here bend over backwards for Baldy. Lukaku is going to be a beast. Rashford, Pogba, Martial and Rashers were amazing too!
Marcus was brilliant as well.

Gause

Domination personified! What an entertaining match too! Yesterday's City game was so fecking boring, yet people here bend over backwards for Baldy. Lukaku is going to be a beast. Rashford, Pogba, Martial and Rashers were amazing too!
Marcus was brilliant as well.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Matic is making a huge difference in midfield. Never even realised he was that skillful on the ball. I knew he could pass it, but that dribble past 3 defenders was something else. :lol:
He was always a good signing.

Just, his age and fee clouded our views - myself included.

ManUnitedCanuck

It's only one match, and there is a long way to go, but much improved over what we have seen in recent years. Long may it continue!!

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Henry doesn't like Lukaku does he? :lol::lol:

Handré1990

That was a perfect start to the season. I really struggled to make up my mind about our MOM, I settled on Lukaku since we got several lessons last season on how important that first goal is when we dominate. Matic was maybe better in general.

Rashford looks fresh and ready, Martial delivered the goods in 10 minutes. Pogba got a confidence booster. Mata and Mikhi still have another gear. The defence is class, and if (big IF) Jones stays injury free Lindelöf and Smalling will have a hard time getting games. De Gea was ready on their only chance. I'm fecking buzzing!

I also like the fact that Mourinho seems to be taking the squad game seriously, and getting our bench players involved relatively early.

ricky-romeo

shades of our opening PL game back in 2006 (fulham 5-1) where we ran riot from the first minute.

still early days of course but one think i like is that we never put down a gear even when we are a goal or two up.

i kept on saying over the last few years (even during fergei's last few season) why we often did not go for the kill when we have that opportunity to win by 4 or 5. unlike city (lets be honest they are ruthless when they are in the mood) we often just stop at 2 the most.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
That run of 3 games, which LVG went on. And lets not forget that in the next 6 games we scored 3 goals!!!
No disagreeing there sunama. The question was when have we performed this well. 3 games were very exciting but obviously not enough reason to make the season great.

Lets hope for a lot more performances like today this season. I'm very optimistic. There is strength, character, and good footballing ability throughout the team now!

HabeasC

So many choices for MoTM - Lukaku scored 2 and was generally very good, Pogba dominated the midfield, Matic was great, Mkhi got two assists and was generally great.

Then after that Rashford scored and assisted, Martial scored and assisted and Mata was very good too.

Man of the Match

Nemanja Matic image Nemanja Matic 66% of 1271 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 1051 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw