PL W FA Premier League

West Ham United 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 September 2021

crossy1686

career ending
I still dont think Lingard is good enough for us, to be a starter anyway, but the one thing going in Lingards favour is he will shoot at goal, and does score important goals from time to time.
He doesn't have to be 'good enough' for us if he can come on and 'do a job' like he did today. He shouldn't be starting many games but he can still come on and grab a winner for us, in which case he has a place in the squad. No one who's as good as Bruno is going to join us to sit on the bench anyway.

Siorac

Kudos to Lingard and all, great display of 'bouncebackability', magnificent goal. But I'm still in absolute disbelief about the penalty calls. Like how?

Goku1983

Justice!! No penalty given for us when at least 1 was clearly a penalty then Daves Saves get innnnn!!

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Big win. The first half I thought we were excellent. Controlled the game and boxed them in and were a threat. That's a team tactically set up to dominate an opponent.

Second half was less good. I felt ominous after Ronaldos early miss. That goes in we win 4-1, but it didn't and both teams looked tired after the hour mark and it showed in the quality. Good subs, the right subs, and one of them came up with the quality needed to win a game like that.

I thought the first Ronaldo foul could have been given but the second was nailed on for me. It would have been a sour ending but what a save.

Sad that my first thought at the end was not 'fk the opposition fans' but instead 'fk our own moany fanbase' but that's the state of things these days

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I want Ole to kick off. VAR needs to be looked at, because where’s the consistency? Ronaldo is rounding the last man and putting himself through on goal - not reviewed. Luke Shaw blocks a cross into a packed 18 yard box with his arm - reviewed. How is it that one doesn’t get scrutinised when it is clearly a better goal scoring opportunity than the other?

Other than that, it was a very entertaining game. Didn’t think we played well at all, but yet again we found a way. Jesse with a wonder goal to make amends, Dave with his first penalty save since the late nineties probably. Absolutely massive for the morale to come through that.
Ole is sharp, he'll definitely mention it.
And good on him too, an outrageous miss on the late Ronaldo one.

wolvored

Great 3 pts. Wasnt a vintage performance, but VAR would have disallowed Ronaldos goal last year, so you win some and lose some (the pen that wasnt). De Gea did something he hasnt done in years. Well done dave! Lingard good goal. Once again though Fred was poor.

PieCrust

United still have trouble breaking down teams that just want to sit back. Too passive and slow moving forward. I think Maguire must have a clause in his contract that pays him for every pass he makes to DDG.

Thought the first 2 penalty shouts for Ronaldo were correct calls and his embelishment of both of those cost him the call for the third. Shameful referring to allow that to factor into a separate occurence, but I'm sure that's why he didn't get it. Shaw was 50/50 for me. Not intentional, but arm clearly extended and that's probably going to be given.

mav_9me

Great game

Both teams played really well.
Ref and VAR are a joke
West Ham were lucky to be in the game. They couldn't create much. Granted that was cuz they were without Antonio but still today there was only one team in it.

largelyworried

How the absolute bloody hell wasn't that last one a pen for Ronaldo?! Zouma donkeyed in well behind the ball, took Ronaldo down. Unbelievable.

Then the breath taking arrogance to bring a sub on cold to take a pen, and miss.

A game of redemption today. Lingard more than making up for that mad pass midweek, and Dea Gea showing he can save pens.
You could see from Zoumas face when the decision went his way that he thought it was a pen.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
VAR and calls are making me question my knowledge of football. I thought Ronnie won 2 PKs today and didn't think they were close. Madness.

If we play most of the season like we played the 1st half we can challenge for PL and CL titles. That was very good stuff. It was going to be hard to keep that edge because of tired legs from the tough CL match on Tuesday. Given that it wasn't a surprise the 2nd half became a slugfest between two leggy teams.

Thank you Lingard! You are forgiven for your bad pass on Tuesday.

Great play from everyone in the 1st half except for Fred, who played Fred football.

The White Pele

Credit Ole for his subs. I expect the Matic changed raised a lot of eyebrows but he made a difference at the crucial time.

Brightonian

They are a David Moyes team in the good sense. So tough, so hard to break down, genuinely dangerous on the break and from set-pieces. It's football by numbers, but it gets more out of limited resources than more fanciful approaches. It stopped us from playing particularly well but we still should have won 3-1 with penalties so we can be happy enough.

Our midfield is the weakness we knew it was, though. McT always takes a game or two to get up to speed after an injury, I'm not worried about him. But Fred had a really bad one.

Maguire poor too. But Varane was much better this game.

ShinjiNinja26

Excellent mental strength from Jesse to not let that mistake midweek get him down and has won us the game today. Also huge props to Dave saving that right at the end, must not have been easy with his penalty record playing on his mind. Tough game but got the 3 points, we move on.

crossy1686

career ending
Post European night, away game to shithouse team in a tough place to go, ref doing everything within his power to give us nothing.

This is a sweet win and credit to the manager for getting his subs and changes right.

Chicharo

A clear penalty for us before DDG saved our ass. Ronaldo did dive before that but that last challenge was a tleast worthy of the VAR check
Come on!!!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Just seen the xG for the match, apart from the pen West Ham weren't really up to much. We played quite well I thought, even with some sloppy passing I think we're slowly getting into the swing of things. West Ham is always a difficult game away, especially when they're so good on the counter but we dealt with them well and for the most part we were much better on the ball than in previous outings.

LoneStar

Was a very frustrating game for us with some moronic decisions from the referee and VAR. Is there no way to complain to the authorities about these inconsistent decisions within the same game?

Both our fullbacks were good (AWB was good in the second half). Midfield was okay. Bruno our best creative source, but again, tried too hard sometimes to find Ronaldo.

Ronaldo being Ronaldo. Lingard with a good strike, feel like this was bound to happen against West Ham. Overall, still feel like we can play much more cohesively, we still look a bit lost in the final third. But I'll take the 3 points at the end of the day.

Very glad for Dave as well, his confidence must be back to its peak now.

Foxbatt

I was wrong. It's not sack Ole or he is a genius.
It is Martin Atkinson is A Wanker.

Ivor Ballokov

Thought we lost control when Pogba went off. Matic coming on made a big difference though.

Wan Bissaka was near to top form in the first 45, not as good in the second half though.

Great moments for Jesse and DDG, happy for them.

Someone needs to take Martin Atkinson for a walk in the woods and put him out of his misery the Lennie mother fecker.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Bringing on Mark Noble to rub the last minute penalty and draw in your face. Such a West Ham thing to do.

Feck you Hammer twats
Feck you David Moyes
Feck you Pigged out Noble

And Jesse of all people scoring when they didn't thibk he was worth 25M

Happy days :drool:

Reggie74

Pretty bad by Moyes when he had no faith in any of his players on the pitch to take that penalty

lex talionis

Brilliant fight at the end for the match winner. De Gea with balls of titanium to secure all three points.

Goku1983

Maguire looked like making a cock up at any point. Fred. Words fail me. Ball comes to Fred, anything can happen, it can go anywhere and to anyone.
Thankfully Maguire is usually good so probably an off game for him. Varane great again cant wait until the partnership is fully synced and gelled.

crossy1686

career ending
VAR and calls are making me question my knowledge of football. I thought Ronnie won 2 PKs today and didn't think they were close. Madness.

If we play most of the season like we played the 1st half we can challenge for PL and CL titles. That was very good stuff. It was going to be hard to keep that edge because of tired legs from the tough CL match on Tuesday. Given that it wasn't a surprise the 2nd half became a slugfest between two leggy teams.

Thank you Lingard! You are forgiven for your bad pass on Tuesday.

Great play from everyone in the 1st half except for Fred, who played Fred football.
I think the ref's ego got the better of him, or there's a fecking sweepstake amongst them for the first ref to give Ronaldo a penalty.

Lynty

3 points, what a goal jesse. Great pen save.

A poor performance again for me.. not enough quality in possession and other than Ronaldo no threat. Poor coaching evident again.

Maguire and Shaw were very sloppy
Fred diabolical.
What???

We had 17 shots, 10 on target.

That's more than the Leeds game we won 5-1 and the Newcastle game we won 4-1.

Admit you have an agenda

Red Stone

Delighted with the win, and fecking disgusted by that waste of space with the whistle. Calling him any sort of names would be an insult against other things with those names.

Comfortably the better team and a deserved win.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Finally we can put that Henderson talk crap back in the box.

Drainy

We actually played well against a good team and deserved to win. I bet a lot of the 'I play FIFA all day' lot aren't happy though.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Dominated a tough game away from home. Very good audition from Rice.

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 426 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% West Ham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% West Ham 0:2 Man Utd