PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 22 January 2022

justsomebloke

I held off on posting this because I know that the excitement of a last minute winner would have made me sound like a joyless bastard, BUT.....

Was anyone else slightly annoyed that the lads showed more energy and passion in celebrating the goal than they had for 90 minutes? The entire match they looked slightly hungover, and like they were forced at gunpoint to be out playing for Manchester fing United in front of 70K fans at Old Trafford. Then they score and finally, FINALLY show some attitude.

Despite loving the goal and the three points, that really annoyed me. In the second half I kept waiting for us to really amp up the pressure and start actually put their backup keeper under some pressure. And it never came. It looked guaranteed to be a wet fart of a match up until that horrible header from their right back put us on our way.
I didn't think they were lacking in passion and energy. Did well in the 1-on-1s the whole game. Not much to offer in the attack, but that's a different matter.

Marcus

That it is underwhelming is clear, but it isn't suddenly going to just transform into a machine, is it.

I've thought many times over the past few weeks that it still looks a lot like the drabber versions of Ole United, but I didn't think that against West Ham. They were compact, well-organised and dominated and controlled the game. Really didn't create much attacking output, but hey, first things first.
I agree. Small steps in the right direction. At least when we won this game, we deserved to on balance and not because the other team was unlucky.

Bestietom

This one thing stuck out for me.
When Greenwood moved the ball to his favoured foot before taking a shot and missed his chance.
I cannot tolerate a professional footballer having to do this.

Take the bloody shot as it comes.
He can shoot with both feet, so why he tried to change, I just don't know.

NZT-One

How can you say that we were like this at any point under Ole. Even last season when we came second, we went behind more than half the time and never had control. We always were very slow out of the block and always struggled to play cohesive football for more than a half at a time. Again not saying that Rangnick has come in and immediately revamped us into prime Barca, but he has immediately understood the issues with 4-2-2-2 and moved away from it to 4-3-3. Ole basically always played 4-2-3-1 even when everyone could see it was not working.

As for why Bruno wasn't in this role - well isn't it obvious? Ole didn't want him like that even when everyone could see that we needed him to be dropping further back.

Fred also has a much different role now as he is moving up further. McT has actually improved his CM play and is now making himself available more often for passes and we are seeing some semblance of patterns.

I am afraid you are not seeing things which are quite clear. We have to keep improving but for the first time in 3 years I feel we have a manager who is also a smart coach and is actually making improvements when he makes a mistake.
And I am afraid, that for some on here, what they want to see dictates what they see. Even though you could have saved you the time typing the last paragraph. I agree with everything apart from the first sentence (even though certainly there is a chance of me not seeing clearly, just as there is the chance that applies to yourself). I am not doubting Ralf, I am just stating that some of the plaudits seem a tad hollow, I had that feeling with some early Ole celebrations as well.

As for the rest: I find it a bit disappointing that Ralf moved away from his actual idea of football to accomodate the squad. If the results turn better and we got something out of the season than I am fine, if not, it might be another bit of wasted time. Can't follow your observation formation-wise, obviously there aren't many differences between 4-2-3-1 and certain 4-3-3 but as long as you are happy with what you see, I don't have any issues. What I see is a 4-2-3-1 with Bruno furthest in midfield but not playing as a striker as he did before. The winger are asked to work a bit more, that it looks different now is probably just as well due to playing Elanga instead of for example Rashford than it is because of fundamental changes.

I also don't see where McTom makes himself more available than before, especially the Westham match he played the same way as we know him. (Which doesn't mean he played badly).

Lets end it on a positive note: I hope you are right, all these changes continue to progress and we will use the confidence in the stabilized performances to become more productive in attack. Ralf focussing on defense first makes absolute sense looking at our xA for the season. But he came with a reputation of attack is the best defense, maybe I hoped he would make that more noticable...

redmanx

I didn't think they were lacking in passion and energy. Did well in the 1-on-1s the whole game. Not much to offer in the attack, but that's a different matter.
Certainly a better all round performance but we still seem to have a job keeping the ball and passing it to our own players. Hopfully Rangnick will be able to sort this out, but its not as if losing possession and giving the ball away is rare.

Sea-Cow

Agreed, they won defensive battles which does take some work rate and some desire.

I guess I should have clarified that there was no energy and passion in trying to go forward and grab a winner.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Mate of mine said there was fighting in the ground.
Wouldn't be a surprise. Back in the bad old days, Upton Park was a frightening experience. Not as bad as Milwall, mind you. But there seems to be a resurgence of violence at football matches.

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 265 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:1 West Ham
  • 16% Man Utd 2:0 West Ham