FA W FA Cup 5th Round

Manchester United 3:1 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 01 March 2023

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
True story, I fell asleep during the game and had a short flash of a dream that we score from a glancing header from a corner and what do you know, the moment I woke up I realised we had a corner and West Ham were the ones who glanced a header into their own net. Uncanny.

Get In Scholesy

I don’t think we were that bad in the first half. Yea we lacked cutting edge in the final 3rd but we have seen that before during the season. Could have had a goal in the first half.

We definitely kicked into a higher gear after the goal and some changes. Credit to the lads for keeping it going and maintaining composure, always good to beat a Moyes team even since his Everton days.

Rameses

We have now scored 9 goals in the three rounds of FA Cup, all 9 are in the second half. 7 of the last eight in the league are in the second half and of course, all four v Barcelona also were.

Lord Zlatan

I don’t think we were that bad in the first half. Yea we lacked cutting edge in the final 3rd but we have seen that before during the season. Could have had a goal in the first half.

We definitely kicked into a higher gear after the goal and some changes. Credit to the lads for keeping it going and maintaining composure, always good to beat a Moyes team even since his Everton days.
It was very flat in the first half, both from the team and the crowd. After the break Garnacho starting showing more for the ball and being more positive in his runs towards goal. Very brave from the young lad, well deserved man of the match and topped it off with a class goal. What the first half showed however, is that there is a huge drop in quality from the first XI, particularly in the midfield but also at the back. Maguire and Lindleoff really slow it down with sideways passes.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Not our best performance and not a great game but we are learning how not to panic, as in the glory days, and there is that growing feeling that we are getting harder and harder to beat - Sunday will be an enormous test of both those. That said, Casemiro when he came on was excellent and Garnacho was brilliant throughout, taking players on, driving at their defence: he didn't give the full back a minute's piece.

Lindelof also had a reasonable game and DDG looked very secure. However, I'm not sure Rashford is anywhere near 100% fit, which is worrying. Talking of worrying, Weghorst's work rate was also very good. If he could actually score, he'd be a great forward!

No idea how VAR didn't see the ball was out for their goal, given we could see it on ITV's cameras

Trumpeter Whydah

Supports
Full Members
I'm in nostalgia mode. That line-up gave me 2022 vibes before kick-off, to start with. Kick-off and the players managed to play a pretty poor first half again, which was so 2021. De Gea nearly gifts one, when did that happen last? And this Benrahma guy plays the first half of his life or what?
We start into second half with Casemiro now, but to no avail, and a 2020 like West Ham scores one. Of course Benrahma. Last time they did this was 2001. Di Canio vibes there.

Every time they show Moyes, I'm shaking some unnerving 2014 vibes off. Good thing Sir Alex was shown a lot, really did it for me. 2012 was so much better!

Then Antonio needs to score and fails, it's vibes worth a decade of his. VAR next, they found a frame where Casemiro is offside. And low and behold, a fantastic header by Aguerd to equalise the score. Finally in!

Old Trafford had to take a breath there, and we all know what went through everyone's mind there. "We need another one now!", but see, that is wrong. We need one in minute 90, and another one in Fergie time! Catapulted back and forth right there.

Voted Garnacho MotM, he continues the saga of Man Utd left wingers scoring late. Fantastic lad, new shirt number incoming I hope.

"Games aren't tiring, going out of competitions is what's tiring". The man!

They show Sir Alex again, and I'm lost on what year we write.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm in nostalgia mode. That line-up gave me 2022 vibes before kick-off, to start with. Kick-off and the players managed to play a pretty poor first half again, which was so 2021. De Gea nearly gifts one, when did that happen last? And this Benrahma guy plays the first half of his life or what?
We start into second half with Casemiro now, but to no avail, and a 2020 like West Ham scores one. Of course Benrahma. Last time they did this was 2001. Di Canio vibes there.

Every time they show Moyes, I'm shaking some unnerving 2014 vibes off. Good thing Sir Alex was shown a lot, really did it for me. 2012 was so much better!

Then Antonio needs to score and fails, it's vibes worth a decade of his. VAR next, they found a frame where Casemiro is offside. And low and behold, a fantastic header by Aguerd to equalise the score. Finally in!

Old Trafford had to take a breath there, and we all know what went through everyone's mind there. "We need another one now!", but see, that is wrong. We need one in minute 90, and another one in Fergie time! Catapulted back and forth right there.

Voted Garnacho MotM, he continues the saga of Man Utd left wingers scoring late. Fantastic lad, new shirt number incoming I hope.

"Games aren't tiring, going out of competitions is what's tiring". The man!

They show Sir Alex again, and I'm lost on what year we write.
I don't think all the trophy parading and presenting did us any favours. Need to be concentrating on the game ahead

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Not our best performance and not a great game but we are learning how not to panic, as in the glory days, and there is that growing feeling that we are getting harder and harder to beat - Sunday will be an enormous test of both those. That said, Casemiro when he came on was excellent and Garnacho was brilliant throughout, taking players on, driving at their defence: he didn't give the full back a minute's piece.

Lindelof also had a reasonable game and DDG looked very secure. However, I'm not sure Rashford is anywhere near 100% fit, which is worrying. Talking of worrying, Weghorst's work rate was also very good. If he could actually score, he'd be a great forward!

No idea how VAR didn't see the ball was out for their goal, given we could see it on ITV's cameras
Good summary of the game. We are learning how to so called win ugly. It did remind me of the United of old. I cannot speak highly enough for Casemiro. It is very rare that one player can have such a massive influence on the whole team.
Similar to Cantona and Keane.
The team is so much more relaxed and effective when he is playing.
A brilliant signing by any standards.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Anyone got a decent screenshot of the ball being out of play for their goal?

I want to save it for the next time one of my lot claim United get all the VAR decisions

Zed 101

If ever there was a stark reminder that our squad is not deep enough there it was, McT, Lindelof and Maguire currently not playing ta a good enough level, Diallo looking like a more handy player than Antony too

That said when we turn it on we look good, TBH I never really felt like we would lose even a goal down

Ref was awful, WH got away without yellows for the same challenges we got them for, 1st half we couldn't get a decision

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If ever there was a stark reminder that our squad is not deep enough there it was, McT, Lindelof and Maguire currently not playing ta a good enough level, Diallo looking like a more handy player than Antony too

That said when we turn it on we look good, TBH I never really felt like we would lose even a goal down

Ref was awful, WH got away without yellows for the same challenges we got them for, 1st half we couldn't get a decision

I have said before that I think referees are actually letting a lot of cynical stuff go. Teams that just try to disrupt with constant fouls. They should book the first cynical foul, however early it is and stamp their authority on games. Instead some are letting things get out of hand. Would be interesting to see how the likes of City got on if they got booked for their constant niggling fouls.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
True story, I fell asleep during the game and had a short flash of a dream that we score from a glancing header from a corner and what do you know, the moment I woke up I realised we had a corner and West Ham were the ones who glanced a header into their own net. Uncanny.
I hope the Liverpool game is similarly sleep-inducing for you. We might just scrape a win from a dream.

Danillaco

Happy with the win but it's worrying how poor we are without Casemiro.
We just revert to last season. McT is clearly a step or two behind, and I'm seriously thinking he's gone by the end of the season. Sabitzer is class, but he's no holding midfielder. Wouldn't mind having him instead of Scott for next season, but we need backing for Casemiro and a world class midfielder to partner him, like Jude or De Jong.

DomesticTadpole

Christ, I didn't expect it to be this clear.

I'm not blaming VAR who probably didn't have that photo, but the linesman must've been sleeping.
We scored a goal just like that going back, the ball went out like that. VAR do not check for that. It is up to the linesman to see it.

Glorio

Really satisfying that we used this game to get over any Carabao Cup hangovers, and still didn't lose or even draw

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
We scored a goal just like that going back, the ball went out like that. VAR do not check for that. It is up to the linesman to see it.
I remember that. It was at West Ham away, funnily enough. Actually VAR was trying to make a call but the pictures just wasn't conclusive, the ball was way up in the air, so there was nothing they could do even though the ball 100 % was out of play.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Christ, I didn't expect it to be this clear.

I'm not blaming VAR who probably didn't have that photo, but the linesman must've been sleeping.
Blaming the linesman for something that at most a few millimeters is a bit pathetic, it's impossible to make such a decision and get it right every time, especially when he could be 40 yards away

DomesticTadpole

I remember that. It was at West Ham away, funnily enough. Actually VAR was trying to make a call but the pictures just wasn't conclusive, the ball was way up in the air, so there was nothing they could do even though the ball 100 % was out of play.
Thought it was West Ham, thanks for confirming that. Yes the ball was in the air so not quite the same situation.

RuudTom83

that’s not clear. Remember the Japan goal from the World Cup?

Everyone thought it was over the line but the technology and alternative angles showed something different.
Don’t always believe your eyes.
Yeah I thought about the WC goal as well...last night the ball was by far more OUT than IN, but we are in the days of pixel fecking the life out of football, so the sphere diameter could have easily had 0.1 pixel touching the line.

Moral of the story, play to the whistle!

Maticmaker

Yeah I thought about the WC goal as well...last night the ball was by far more OUT than IN, but we are in the days of pixel fecking the life out of football, so the sphere diameter could have easily had 0.1 pixel touching the line.

Moral of the story, play to the whistle!
Always has been, but VAR has sometimes delayed player reactions because now, for a split second, some players tempted to thinks its OK VAR will pick it up... but of course.

Great last 20 mins.... fantastic.

JagUTD

There were two things out this week.

Nick Pope and the ball before West Ham scores.

Mike Smalling

Regarding the ball being out, do you remember that Pogba long range goal away to West Ham a few years ago? If I recall correctly, it was a big clearance from our goalkeeper that had so much bend on it that it clearly went out, before landing on the field again. Bruno then laid it off for Pogba to score.

I guess we are even now :angel:

tomaldinho1

Regarding the ball being out, do you remember that Pogba long range goal away to West Ham a few years ago? If I recall correctly, it was a big clearance from our goalkeeper that had so much bend on it that it clearly went out, before landing on the field again. Bruno then laid it off for Pogba to score.

I guess we are even now :angel:
Moyes could see it and was going mental as well :lol:

lex talionis

Emotional letdown after the cup final. Weakened side. Fatigue, mental and physical. I’d say it was a great performance in light of the circumstances.

Lights Out

that’s not clear. Remember the Japan goal from the World Cup?

Everyone thought it was over the line but the technology and alternative angles showed something different.
Don’t always believe your eyes.
Seriously, what are you on about? That is clearly out looking down along the line.

The Japan goal looked out but was clearly in when you looked at the correct angle. Ie looking down along the line

Get In Scholesy

It was very flat in the first half, both from the team and the crowd. After the break Garnacho starting showing more for the ball and being more positive in his runs towards goal. Very brave from the young lad, well deserved man of the match and topped it off with a class goal. What the first half showed however, is that there is a huge drop in quality from the first XI, particularly in the midfield but also at the back. Maguire and Lindleoff really slow it down with sideways passes.
This is true, the drop is evident. Some people were calling it a terrible half, but it was far from that. Perhaps that’s a sign of how far we’ve come!

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 278 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 2:0 West Ham
  • 23% Man Utd 2:1 West Ham