PL L FA Premier League

West Ham United 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 07 May 2023

sirAlexsglasses

This team is so weak mentally, a team full of cowards, yes DDG made the massive error, bit should be able overturn a 1-0 defector to relegation contenders. We never look like creating anything, you look city and they have goals all over the team, Rashford and maybe Bruno me and tats it, Rashford had a dip and we have nothing. A massive clear out is required, no this won’t happen because of those VILE shysters the Glazers , hate is such a string word, but I have nothing but hatred in me for the Glazers, they have single handed ruined and taken the soul of the cub I Love.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
It’s everything together. The limited squad, unprecedented fixture congestion that we’ll most likely never see again, year one of trying to implement a high intensity system, and a plethora of injuries.
Yup.

The loss of form by a number of key players is worrying also. Rashford, Casemiro and Eriksen have been poor recently.

I wonder how much of our recent poor form is down to the loss of Martínez, who was a proper leader on the pitch.

Flying_Heckfish

Hopeless.

You know fate is against you when you concede a goal like that, but we didn't do anything at all to suggest we could have won in any case.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
It’s everything together. The limited squad, unprecedented fixture congestion that we’ll most likely never see again, year one of trying to implement a high intensity system, and a plethora of injuries.
It's a perfect storm alright.

We can't forget how poor we were last season in terms of miles ran by the players. Next season wi hopefully be less of a shock to them.

croadyman

Knew it,could not understand people who thought we would smash em. Think they just presumed we would deal with West Ham like other bottom half sides away from home but nope.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Absolutely fecking pathetic. I seem to be saying that a lot about United this season.

M15 Red.

If ETH adopts a policy whereby for every point we drop from now until the end of the season, a non-white, non-English member of the squad gets left behind in Burnley next season, we will walk top 4.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I think top four is psychologically gone after that game. There's going to be immense pressure each game and we don't do well with that, and Chelsea will have their cup final against us. I can't see us winning 3/4 of the remaining, we aren't just there mentally.

DDG costing us yet another top four.

OrcaFat

We have a limited squad. It's a reality. That means the lack of rotation is killing us.

Tonight we did look like last season's shambles, absolutely. But as you say progress has been made and I think we're at a sliding doors moment, in that top four could rally help us kick on, but falling short might be too much for a lot of this squad to absorb.
Yeah. To be rational about it, there’s not much anyone can do. The first choice players have hit a wall recently with injuries, physical condition / fatigue, mental condition and there is nobody to come in and help them out.

The sliding doors moment can’t be overestimated (or shouldn’t be underestimated). The difference between 4th and 5th is massive for our prospects this summer and next season.

We’ve got to find a performance from somewhere but I honestly doubt we will.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Acting like a wank? Is that an insult? You're not allowed insult people here. You are allowed attack what they say. Which is what I did when people accused our players of being gutless. But you think that's just passion. I think it's nonsense, more fitting to Facebook or youtube comments.

And abusing the players is also not discussion.

If I dont mind saying so I excel at discussing things with people I don't agree with.
I'm literally using your own insult against you. Please don't use your STAFF affiliation as a pathetic attempt at making me the guy throwing the insults here and ban me. You have been doing it all night.

redmanx

After what was a terrible start to the season, just a couple of months ago we had won the League Cup, were looking at 3rd place at least in the prem, maybe second, were going well in Europe and in the FA Cup. Now we're out of Europe, looking at a 4th place Prem finish at best, though 5th seems very likely now, and City must be salivating at the prospect of handing us a humiliating drubbing in the Cup Final. What happened? Yes we've had injuries and missed Casemiro and still miss Varane and Martinez and the lack of quality in depth in the squad has been highlighted cruelly. Up front we have Weghorst, and I can only ask "why?" and Martial, again, "why?" Neither are good enough to play in Citys reserves. Ive been a big fan of DeGea and without the incredible saves he has pulled off all season we'd be in an even worse position, but DDG isnt suited to the style of play ETH wants and has become error prone. We need a new, quality keeper, quality CBs as back up to Varane and Martinez, at least 2 more top quality midfield players and two quality strikers who know where the net is and are not afraid of a little hard work. We can write this season off and pray that we at least make City work hard, maybe even sneak a win. If we dont qualify for the Champions League we wont attract the sort of players we need to kick on next season. We need to get rid of the dross, Maguire, Martial, Fred, McTominay, Weghorst, and give Anthony, Sancho and Garnacho one more season to prove that they deserve to play for us. And ETH has to instill into every player the right attitude, that they play for every second of every minute of every match. Lets see what 23/24 brings us.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Expected us to lose pre game. Never understood the confidence from some just because of league position.

We get so easily dominated by any kind of physicality. We must be the weakest side physically in the league.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I’m sorry, Rashford, Bruno, Martial, Sancho, Fred, DDG, Lindelof, Dalot, Eriksen, Antony, Sabitzer, AWB…not a winner in the bunch. I only exclude Casemiro because he has been a winner before, but he was dire today.
Rubbish.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I'm literally using your own insult against you. Please don't use your STAFF affiliation as a pathetic attempt at making me the guy throwing the insults here and ban me. You have been doing it all night.
Really?

You need this explained?

You really don't know the difference between what I said in the abract and you insulting me?

I said calling the players gutless was pathetic. I pointed out the stupidity of a poster thinking that they could to criticise professional athletes on standards and said the forum was for discussion, not self gratifying whining. Criticism of the posts. Which as I told you is allowed.

You then insulted me directly.

And then after I didn't warn you for it, you had the genius idea to tell me not to warn you for it.

Amazing.

doomy20

I can‘t take another year of Europa League, I really can’t. We are on 3/4 since weeks, gifting it to the Scousers now after they had their most laughable season in years, really no words for that. We would never be allowed to call Arsenal or Spurs bottlers again. Please just somehow bring it over the line.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Expected us to lose pre game. Never understood the confidence from some just because of league position.

We get so easily dominated by any kind of physicality. We must be the weakest side physically in the league.
While I was worried pre game, we had the beating of them until the goal. We just didn't recover until the 85th minute.

Mepp

Why don't these boys want to work for the badge? Seeing them stroll around in the first half when we were 1-0 down is infuriating! Does it not annoy Ten Hag? It just seems a case of upping the tempo, showing a bit of desire and why are we so soft!?

The difference for me is desperation. Our players don't have that, title winners do! Desperate to win the ball, desperate to not lose the ball, desperate to make a challenge, desperate to put the ball in the back of the net, desperate to clear the ball, desperate to not get beat by your man, desperate to not lose!

Today, our boys looked like they couldn't care less..

Reactions: Niall

Cantonalegod

Absolutely fecking fuming. The goal, Benrama being a total cnut and trolling Rashford by doing his celebration (shows the heart of a absolute bottom feeder and a bottom trash club). Bissaka being smashed in the head and no penalty, what the feck?
Just come on, reading through the posts!

At last someone mentions the headbutt on Awb!

How is that not a penalty?
Not intentional, but late.
Anywhere else on the pitch that's a free kick.

As usual not mentioned on commentary, whereas Lindalof handball was dissected with a scalpel.

By the way, we were a complete shiteshow, just in case anyone is in any doubt.

OrcaFat

While I was worried pre game, we had the beating of them until the goal. We just didn't recover until the 85th minute.
That is true. But another way to put it is that we were terrible all match except for the first 27 mins and the last five mins. It is not worth much to have the beating of a team until they beat us.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
That is true. But another way to put it is that we were terrible all match except for the first 27 mins and the last five mins. It is not worth much to have the beating of a team until they beat us.
No. Its that lack of ability or reserve to react that is worrying in some our displays but other times we have shown great fight. I reckon we need a bigger sample to see who we are.

NickJ

Really lack character when the going gets tough. Never seen a team lose so many 50/50 challenges. Infuriating to watch.

Patrick220571

A bunch of spineless bottle merchants, who seem intent on gift wrapping a Champions League place and sending it to Anfield, of all places.

Unacceptable performance yet again.

Judas

Open to offers
We look absolutely shagged and not in a fun way. Just utterly void of the energy, ideas and general zip you need to succeed at the top level.

I can't say I'm too bothered that I'll be busy for our next game, which makes me sad.

Jacko21

We’ve been great at harnessing the momentum at Old Trafford to beat teams, but have zero answers when the situation is reversed. We just get sallowed up away from home.

Opposing teams and their fans know that if they’re at it, they can take points off us.

FerociousCorgis

From the moment they scored until that push in extra time there wasn't a single moment I thought we were going to come close to scoring

BrayRed

Same as usual, chances galore before they score, can't finish.

DDG confidence is shot, can't understand the clamour to give him a new deal myself.

I still think we'll take 4th, home form will see us over the line along with the other lot dropping points. I think Leicester is a very tough one for them, they're fighting for their lives.

The Purley King

AWB the only player to come out of that game with any credit at all.
The rest of them…. Waste of rations.

always_hoping

That was Man United's first away defeat against the 10th to 20th placed teams in the league this season.

It was P9 W7 D2 and could and should have been drawn 3 and a 6th clean sheet in those 10 games but for that howler from DeGea.

OrcaFat

No. Its that lack of ability or reserve to react that is worrying in some our displays but other times we have shown great fight. I reckon we need a bigger sample to see who we are.
Yeah EtH keeps referring to it, doesn’t he? The players can’t cope with it mentally at the moment.

Without being a doom monger, we look capable of being hammered and fully collapsing at any moment. It’s what happened at the end of Ole and during RR. I don’t know what the root cause is.

Failing to get Top 4 will feel like a completely disastrous season despite the good stuff we’ve seen at times. The type of genuine progress we need is that ability to stay the course, get the job done, win ugly, survive.

If we miss out on Top 4 it will be a significant failure. Too many of our players have been through these failures too many times; failure is part of them now.

OrcaFat

That was Man United's first away defeat against the 10th to 20th placed teams in the league this season.

It was P9 W7 D2 and could and should have been drawn 3 and a 6th clean sheet in those 10 games but for that howler from DeGea.
Is that supposed to cheer us up?

Player Ratings

3.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 221 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% West Ham 0:2 Man Utd