PL L FA Premier League

West Ham United 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 23 December 2023

redmanx

I had a feeling we would be back to normal in this match after all the praise on here after the 0-0 draw against liverpool.
Me too; we are either poor, very poor or absolute crap and its just a question of which of these we will be any given match.

lex talionis

It’s hard to shake off the feeling that ETH is doing everything possible to get himself sacked.

Mmm-Qatarian

Me too; we are either poor, very poor or absolute crap and its just a question of which of these we will be any given match.
That's an extremely apt summary of the state of United right now. To paraphrase the late Sean Lock, it's like wondering whether you're going to be eating dog shit or cow shit.

Andrew Richmond

At least this game kicked off at 11.30pm Australian Eastern time.

Didn't have to sit up or set alarm for 2am kick off.

More than 60% possession up until the first Hammers goal.

You just knew it wasn’t going to end well and there opener came as no surprise.

Camilo

This logic doesn’t stand, unfortunately - because ETH consistently plays mediocre players instead of youth, not “better players”. And he doesn’t have the results to back his team selection (we are getting dominated almost every game).

It’s not like ETH plays a Modric, a Kimmich, a Kroos, a Pedri etc - he plays pure shit in midfield (actually not only there) every single game.
Sure it does. Can you imagine any big club "giving youngsters a go"?! If the squad aren't good enough then there's two transfer windows a year to improve it. Devaluing the little value we have in the squad by playing (probably) bang average kids is championship level thinking.

If you've got kids who genuinely deserve it then fine, but even our most talented youth product (Rashford) barely managed to force his way in, and he's been shite for months.

Buy better players and coach them properly. It's not rocket science.

redmanx

What we saw on Saturday was not a great team, nor a good team, in fact it wasnt even a team. We saw a bunch of individuals strolling around the pitch who displayed no desire, no passion, no team ethics, no unity and no respect for each other, the club or the supporters. They didnt care; they dont care. Yes, the performance against Liverpool was a huge improvement regarding team work, running, chasing, desire etc but it was a pound to a pinch of snuff that the following performance would be crap...and it was. These players will turn up when it suits them, usually after a series of defeats, put in a decent performance and then go back to being lazy, lethargic, uncaring and downright pathetic. They dont care, and the moment this really struck home was when young Kobbie Mainoo made a mistake leading to West Hams second girl; the only player who showed any concern or feelings for the clearly upset youngster was a 19 year old making his debut, Willy Kambwala! Where was the "captain?" Why didnt Bruno put an arm around his shoulder and tell him not to worry? A real captain, a Roy Keanne, would have consoled the lad without hesitating, though Im pretty sure if it had been one of the more experienced players Keanne would have bawled him out, but Mainoo is 18 and has been brilliant for us and the way he got on with things afterwards shows he has a fantastic attitude and temprement, something his so called team mates desperately lack.
Ten Hag must take some of the blame although he has rid us of other prima donna types like Pogba and Lingard so he knows the score. But how many of these players would have survived even one season under SAF with the attitude they have? And the longer these players are allowed to infect the younger academy players coming through or new transfers, the longer the disgraceful shambles that Manchester United has become will continue. We need to cull every player who has played more than 20 times and eradicate the toxic aura poisening the players and the club.

justsomebloke

So, it's come to this: We lose 2-0 to West Ham, and here I sit wishing I could write that this was an uncharacteristically poor performance, a low point. But I really can't. In truth, this was a middle of the road level performance by the standards of this season - this is where we are. A pretty evenly balanced game, but they have gamebreakers and took their chances, while we don't, and didn't. All in all, with these XIs, they are probably a better team.

I thought Bruno, Shaw and Mainoo played fairly well, Højlund and McTominay achieved little to no impact, the rest were okayish.

8th on the table, and we're probably lucky to be that high. We're a quintessential 10th place team.

Smithy89

Ten Hag fans please explain to me how he saw a double pivot work at anfield, but then decided to leave Kobbie on his own away at West Ham? While the two ghosts offer absolutely nothing as midfielders.

Jamie Shawcross

Only 8 pages on the post match thread just goes to show how apathetic we have become to this sh1te now. The fans are not caring anymore. The players aren't, so why should we? Absolutely dreadful mess United are in. I don't know who replaces Ten Hag but he is not the answer to the problems he is creating. I'd sack him for his stubbornness alone, its grating on me beyond belief.

Kingofwinners

Just watched Everton, Forest and Luton on match of the day, they all looked miles better than us. Committed, organised and a bit of cutting edge.

You just can’t play top level anything with our motivation levels.

Last edited:

Yakuza_devils

Dare I say, we missed Maguire badly.
And the experiment for McT to play attacking midfield should end now?

Alek M

Da manic one
Ten Hag fans please explain to me how he saw a double pivot work at anfield, but then decided to leave Kobbie on his own away at West Ham? While the two ghosts offer absolutely nothing as midfielders.
Because we needed lot more defending at Anfield. This game we wanted to attack more. And we kept them at bay apart from a nice pass and a slip. They didn’t dominate us or carved our midfield.
We needed more bodies in attack to unlock their defensive set up.

dinostar77

What we saw on Saturday was not a great team, nor a good team, in fact it wasnt even a team. We saw a bunch of individuals strolling around the pitch who displayed no desire, no passion, no team ethics, no unity and no respect for each other, the club or the supporters. They didnt care; they dont care. Yes, the performance against Liverpool was a huge improvement regarding team work, running, chasing, desire etc but it was a pound to a pinch of snuff that the following performance would be crap...and it was. These players will turn up when it suits them, usually after a series of defeats, put in a decent performance and then go back to being lazy, lethargic, uncaring and downright pathetic. They dont care, and the moment this really struck home was when young Kobbie Mainoo made a mistake leading to West Hams second girl; the only player who showed any concern or feelings for the clearly upset youngster was a 19 year old making his debut, Willy Kambwala! Where was the "captain?" Why didnt Bruno put an arm around his shoulder and tell him not to worry? A real captain, a Roy Keanne, would have consoled the lad without hesitating, though Im pretty sure if it had been one of the more experienced players Keanne would have bawled him out, but Mainoo is 18 and has been brilliant for us and the way he got on with things afterwards shows he has a fantastic attitude and temprement, something his so called team mates desperately lack.
Ten Hag must take some of the blame although he has rid us of other prima donna types like Pogba and Lingard so he knows the score. But how many of these players would have survived even one season under SAF with the attitude they have? And the longer these players are allowed to infect the younger academy players coming through or new transfers, the longer the disgraceful shambles that Manchester United has become will continue. We need to cull every player who has played more than 20 times and eradicate the toxic aura poisening the players and the club.
fair post. dont think anything will change without the glazers leaving. the rot has spread to the pitch.

redmanx

fair post. dont think anything will change without the glazers leaving. the rot has spread to the pitch.
If the Glazers sold the club tomorrow and left for USA it wouldnt make any difference to whats happening on the pitch, we need a total clear out of the crap we've been forced to endure since SAF retired; players, staff, board, owners right down to the ladies who make the tea, get rid of the lot!

AndySmith1990

If the Glazers have literally no involvement in the running of football operations, would that not be the same as them leaving? They'd essentially be silent stakeholders.
Assuming Ratcliffe genuinely cares and employs people who are best in class, isn't that what everyone wanted? A self sufficient club being run by people who know what they're doing

Player Ratings

4.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 193 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% West Ham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 12% West Ham 2:0 Man Utd