PL L FA Premier League

West Ham United 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 23 December 2023

Roboc7

Another really poor performance, West Ham didn’t turn up in first half and when we failed to capitalise just knew would be made to pay. They let us have the ball and waited to pick us off, soon as they got a goal it was game over.

Only Sheff Utd have scored less goals than us now, the lack or creativity and cutting edge is crazy.

flameinthesun

if the salvation lies in the likes of Martial then thats not the clever argument it sounds like.
If the choice is between bringing on Pellistri and Martial.... I'd go with the one who has actually scored this season and I'm one who wants Martial sold. Thinking about it, that strengthens my point.

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham
Its not happened many if any times that I can remember as a West Ham fan, but we legitimately have a far superior front three/four than Manchester United.
And it shows in the output this season.

OleGunnar20

At Ajax he played possession football. Very technical with a focus on scoring goals.
At MUFC, I don't think even he knows the style of football we play.
My own assessment is that we have a bunch of players who are called in 30 mins before the game and told to get out onto the pitch ASAP and hope for the best. There seems to be no strategy, just hoping for the best.

I think that the job is too big for ETH, but I still don't think he should be sacked. We need to get SJR in first and let him and his team decide on the fate of the current and new manager.
Regardless, there needs to be a massive clearout and that includes the players that ETH bought in the last 2 years.
Yep, spot on.

I think all things considered we've got quite a patient fan base for such a big club. If there were any signs of a consistent plan, style of play, ethos, whatever - he'd likely still have much more support than at current. But we just appear so clueless out there.

Whatever the plan is, it doesn't come across at all on the pitch. And surely above all else this is the job of our head coach.

Alemar

This manager is an idiot. He doesn’t understand that Bruno - McTominay doesn’t work and never will, but he continues to play them. Again, again, again - whenever both are available (which is more or less every game). It is representative of his lack of even basic level of comprehension of tactics.

sparx99

At least the club are providing a good laugh to opposition supporters , without that there would be no point to us at all.
I’m surprised they even care at this point. I know when Liverpool were crap I didn’t find it funny after a while. They just faded into nothingness.

Lost bear

Its not happened many if any times that I can remember as a West Ham fan, but we legitimately have a far superior front three/four than Manchester United.
And it shows in the output this season.
Sad but true.

Lost bear

This manager is an idiot. He doesn’t understand that Bruno - McTominay doesn’t work and never will, but he continues to play them. Again, again, again - whenever both are available (which is more or less every game). It is representative of his lack of even basic level of comprehension of tactics.
Sigh…it’s very worrying, yes. I have lost faith in the guy. But I don’t think there’s much to be done until the ownership is sorted- if that ever happens.

Fitchett

This

pauldyson1uk

Iam still fecking angry, not with actually getting beat, that happens but the way we got beat,
There was no fight in the team no desire to win, Rashford came on and just trotted around doing feck all, it’s not acceptable.

Alemar

Sigh…it’s very worrying, yes. I have lost faith in the guy. But I don’t think there’s much to be done until the ownership is sorted- if that ever happens.
But at the very least he could have discontinued playing inept passers in midfield. This season is already over as far as CL spots are concerned - so we could at least nurture some younger players instead. Gore is a much better passer of the ball with better ball control, for example. He lacks experience - so why not to provide it to him?

Banana Republic

Has United really scored as few goals as Luton or should I put down the christmas beers?
18 goals is dire.
It's relegation zone form.

Utd have scored the same number of goals ( 18 ) as Luton, Palace & Burnley.

Only one team, bottom of the table Sheff Utd has scored fewer goals...and that's only one less on 17.

Brighton, just one place below us, have scored nearly double the number of goals.
6 of the 7 teams above us have scored at least double the number of goals.
That 7th team is West Ham, on 31. Way more than our abysmal 18 goals.

Last edited:

TrailMonkey

I think ETH is hoping he's given the time to get his 'best' eleven - with all his favoured signings - back on the pitch and start getting results so he can prove his worth to SJR, ie Varane, Licha, Case and Mount, with Eriksen providing a cameo now and then. Not saying I believe that playing those players consistently will get us a streak of wins, but they surely can't do any worse than what we have now.

JediSith

Hope. That’s the worrying part. Hope that Mctominay will score a goal, regardless of the fact that he contributes nothing as a CM.

Lost bear

But at the very least he could have discontinued playing inept passers in midfield. This season is already over as far as CL spots are concerned - so we could at least nurture some younger players instead. Gore is a much better passer of the ball with better ball control, for example. He lacks experience - so why not to provide it to him?
I agree, sure. It’s hard to discern the thought processes of ETH at the moment. The famous definition of insanity as ‘doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results’ is an obvious but appropriate comment that comes to mind. What the feck is he going?

Banana Republic

When was the last time we scored a goal?
4 games ago.
Home to Chelsea 2-1 McTominey scored both our goals.

We've failed to score a single goal (zero) in 7 of our 18 league matches so far this season.

Our form over the last 5 games including today's loss, is the same as 19th and 20th placed Burnley and Sheff Utd.
W 1, D 1, L 3

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Team lost blame Onana. Nice.
we were awful - and I said so throughout the game (and season). but there's no escaping he was very poor for the first and not great for the second. He's been poor all season - what's the point of denying it?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I actually thought we played okay until their 1st goal. Had most of the posession, comfortable with the ball thought only created 1-2 good chances. Then Mainoo and Shaw (I think those two) switched off and let Bowen score and after that West Ham gained confidence and energy while we turned to shite.

Okay-ish 70th minutes followed by really poor last 20+6. 8 losses in 18 league games which is just awful. Not looking forward to Villa on Tuesday..
I agree with most of this - old adage: you have to score when you're in control and we can't. I feel really sorry for Hojilund... finds space, makes runs, noone good enough to find him... including Bruno, who quite frankly, I'd sell

VinchNow

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Liverpool
we were awful - and I said so throughout the game (and season). but there's no escaping he was very poor for the first and not great for the second. He's been poor all season - what's the point of denying it?
As poor as Onana may have been, United has 23 goals against so far this season. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester City are better in that department. So the issue is not the defense or the keeper making mistakes.
It comes from the goals scored with 28 xG for 18 goals scored.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He makes a decent block for the first, it's just unlucky that the ball pops up well for Bowen. I can't believe anyone is seriously looking at the second and thinking it might be related to the keeper.
He was poor in the CL, he's been good in the league. Though I can understand your issue if you think goals like today are on him...

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I think ETH is hoping he's given the time to get his 'best' eleven - with all his favoured signings - back on the pitch and start getting results so he can prove his worth to SJR, ie Varane, Licha, Case and Mount, with Eriksen providing a cameo now and then. Not saying I believe that playing those players consistently will get us a streak of wins, but they surely can't do any worse than what we have now.
Isn't that a problem in itself? If he can only operate with zero injuries then what sort of coach is he? I see this excuse trotted out all the time but it's actually pretty damning of him. Some of the teams we struggle/ lose against have worse players than us and still look better or more functional.

The key difference in every single game, and this is important, is that the opposition have a plan and are well drilled. That says it all to me.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
He makes a decent block for the first, it's just unlucky that the ball pops up well for Bowen. I can't believe anyone is seriously looking at the second and thinking it might be related to the keeper.
He was poor in the CL, he's been good in the league. Though I can understand your issue if you think goals like today are on him...
It was a half-hearted block.. if he'd be brave and dived at his feet the goal would never have been. If someone let McT had made that block, there would have been calls for him to be executed...for the record I think Raya should have saved Salah's shot too

Ronaldo's Love Child

The biggest difference from last season is that Casemiro and Eriksen were fantastic and controlled all our play. Eriksen was injured and wasn't so good at the end of the season, but otherwise.

Casemiro and Eriksen defended the defense fantastically, and at the same time they both had a sublime technique where they could create chances for their teammates.

None of their substitutes do the same. McT has scored some goals but he doesn't have the same creativity. Mainoo is very young and was injured himself for a few months. Amrabat is not creative at all. And Mount has been a big disappointment. So we have had a huge problem with our central midfield. And I think that is the obvious big difference compared to last season.
I wouldn't finish there.

We had an inconsistent GK so decided to replace him with another inconsistent GK at a cost of £ 44 million.
Rashford had a purple patch of a season last year and had now reverted to type.
With Ronaldo/Greenwood out of the picture. Sancho never really finding form since joining us and Martial being..........well just like Martial we needed a top class striker. Instead, ETH decides to spunk a large chunk of our transfer budget on Mason Mount.

Cessna

I feel sorry for Mainoo and Højlund to whom this must be a terrible time to be playing in United in their formative years. It is a big burden on young shoulders. Especially with the lack of role models at the moment. Bruno more of a waste of space than usual, and only the defense gets a pass on this one. Shaw tries, but he must be thinking that it`s a waste of time.

Wing Attack Plan R

Isn't that a problem in itself? If he can only operate with zero injuries then what sort of coach is he? I see this excuse trotted out all the time but it's actually pretty damning of him. Some of the teams we struggle/ lose against have worse players than us and still look better or more functional.

The key difference in every single game, and this is important, is that the opposition have a plan and are well drilled. That says it all to me.
It's not a couple, a few, or even a handful of injuries: it's a major depletion of the squad. 10 or 11 players out is a four alarm fire. If he were missing just a couple players, sure, your argument has merit - but he wasn't and it doesn't.

Cessna

feck you, Moyes.
It’s time to get out of United, Moyes.
What were you even doing there in the first place, Moyes?
You didn’t even get properly elected, Moyes.
Are you happy now, Moyes?
feck you, Moyes.

You could probably copy and paste Glazer/Murtough/ETH in there too dependant on your outlook.
I love how it ended the same way it started.

Alek M

Da manic one
For everyone complaining about McSauce. Who would you have started this game instead of him? Eriksen coming from injury? Amrabat?

Antony needs to be dropped and hopefully McT gets replaced when we have healthy Mount or Casemiro.

Amsterdam Devil

We had a fecking week to prepare for this game, West Ham had just days after the got battered by Liverpool. It’s ridiculous we don’t beat this team and start the game with pressing them all over the field. We did nothing in the first half, what are they training, they had a full week.

GreatDane

For everyone complaining about McSauce. Who would you have started this game instead of him? Eriksen coming from injury? Amrabat?

Antony needs to be dropped and hopefully McT gets replaced when we have healthy Mount or Casemiro.
Yes, Amrabat. That's pretty clear to most.
It would give us an actual midfield and not let 18 year old Mainoo alone to defend.
And you know when/if Casemiro comes back it'll be him, McT and Bruno.

Banana Republic

........Rashford had a purple patch of a season for just a couple of months last year season and had now reverted to type (shite) in April......
Excuse the edit to make it more accurate.
The purple patch didn't last long and he was poor for the remaining 3 months of last season.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It's not a couple, a few, or even a handful of injuries: it's a major depletion of the squad. 10 or 11 players out is a four alarm fire. If he were missing just a couple players, sure, your argument has merit - but he wasn't and it doesn't.
We've not had 10 or 11 missing for every game though. He's had his first string attack for weeks, and a strong enough midfield and defence to beat most of the teams we've struggled against. He had his big money signing available and sat him on the bench for weeks, he's had Rashford on the bench, he's had Mainoo for a few weeks now. I think we should be doing a lot better than we are, so you honestly dispute that? Or do you think Ten Hag is simply the best manager around and nobody could possibly do better than him? Brighton have a weaker team and squad than us, have had quite a few injuries, and are still close to us and have a clear plan. It's just bullshit.

Fair enough it would hold us back from challenging for the title, but struggling to win? Struggling to score? Looking aimless week after week?

Alek M

Da manic one
Yes, Amrabat. That's pretty clear to most.
It would give us an actual midfield and not let 18 year old Mainoo alone to defend.
And you know when/if Casemiro comes back it'll be him, McT and Bruno.
Amrabat with 0 attacking skills. Ok. West Ham were a joke of an attacking team. We need to score goals.

Player Ratings

4.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 193 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% West Ham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 12% West Ham 2:0 Man Utd