g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 27 September 2014

togg

Today proved, once more, that Rooney is not a leader. I am sorry to say but he is not a captain material.
RvP, despite his 2 goals, is still kind of a passenger.
I am seriously missing Mata, despite his mistake last week, who played only a few minutes last time around.
Di Maria had his first bad game. And was still better than a lost our 2nd choices.
Blind was not that good. Can't put my finger on it but i felt he was not involved enough.
Januzaj needs more game time against such teams. No matter who of the top 3 he changes, he gives another dimension to our game.

Last but not least. Arrogance, arrogance and some more fecking arrogance. We need to smash teams. Defense? Who cares if you let 1,2 goals in. The point is to outscore the opponent.

PS: Rafael, when fit obviously is such an impactful player. He opens defenses in such an old school way. It looks simple but not many players have it.
bloody hell...you're a barrel of fun aren't you. I thought Blind did really well considering we were down to ten men. Mata will be in anyway now, but I'm telling you, we will miss Rooney's defensive qualities, because Mata doesn't defend, he doesn't track back, whereas Rooney puts in a shift everywhere.

Dylan94

The back 4 were good today on the whole and in the circumstances. We seem to have about 10 centre backs, none of whom are outstanding and most of whom are unavailable for any given match, so it's getting harder to predict the back 4 line up correctly.
Agreed. Considering Rojo and McNair have probably barely even spoken to each other before and that it was the first time this 4 have ever played together, they did very well indeed.

Dylan94

Glad to hear it. After a crazy result last week all we needed is a win and a good defensive display.
Agreed. And it's exactly what we got. The back 4 did really well considering that they've never played with each other before. Blind did a great job too after Rooney got sent off and Valencia and Fletcher solidified things even more when they came on.

Mali_Zeus

Agreed. And it's exactly what we got. The back 4 did really well considering that they've never played with each other before. Blind did a great job too after a Rooney got sent off and Valencia and Fletcher solidified things even more when they came on.
I like the fact how Rojo and McNair who never played a game together and McNair having a debut played a good game as a CB pair.

bleedred

Ashley young has not featured in any of the last three games...Let that sink in.....!!!!!!

Walters_19_MuFc

Good game. Again, played some very good stuff, at times. Had to cling on for most of the second half due to Rooney's sending off, but it was probably a blessing in disguise as we actually defended our lead, instead of leaving ourselves too open and susceptible to the counter attack like we did the last week.

Special mention to McNair on his début, who I thought was brilliant. Kept his head when we conceded, and looked pretty solid for most of the game and made that vital header in the last few minutes.

I keep saying this, but I just hope we can start to build some consistency. Obviously doesn't help when you have to change your back four every week, mind.

RuudTom83

In the past performances like today would be applauded for winning while playing poorly, and a win under those circumstanced will help the new guys to know what it takes to win a premiership league match.

The old saying...United never do it the easy way! comes to mind as well, it was almost unbearable to watch at stages today but that is nothing new for a United supporter.

Listening to commentators talk about the SAF era you would believe every match was a 4-0 win with United in total control for the entire 90 minutes.

It is going to be a roller coaster season, but lets not worry or moan about every tiny decision...just enjoy the ride. :devil:

Keenst

A vital win. We are playing good, exciting football too, I'd have been been happy with that alone after last season.

Hed Zitin

In the past performances like today would be applauded for winning while playing poorly, and a win under those circumstanced will help the new guys to know what it takes to win a premiership league match.

The old saying...United never do it the easy way! comes to mind as well, it was almost unbearable to watch at stages today but that is nothing new for a United supporter.

Listening to commentators talk about the SAF era you would believe every match was a 4-0 win with United in total control for the entire 90 minutes.

It is going to be a roller coaster season, but lets not worry or moan about every tiny decision...just enjoy the ride. :devil:
This is so bang on. But expect it. We are always a target to be hit even when we do well.

Dante

Average bang
I thought most of our problems came from defensive errors at fullback. Shaw and Rafael were our weak links, and West Ham kept targetting them.

jaimoe

With Liverpool's result and our defence, 3 points is mattered today. There's still a lot of naivety in their play, especially with just launching hoofballs to nowhere toward the end. And I'm still frustrated with Valencia who couldn't use his speed to his advantage against tired fullback.
i think av did exactly what he was told to do and i thought he played very well today.

Momochiru

I'm not as impressed as some of you. If we had been playing Chelsea or City or even Arsenal and the second half went like it did then yes it would of been a hard worked win but it was West Ham at home. Being down to 10 men shouldn't suddenly make West Ham into Barca mrk.2, we should lose a bit of possession, maybe give away a couple of extra chances but we should still have the quality to atleast match them even with 10 men.
This kind of attitude cost us the points against Leicester. West Ham just won against 11 man Pool. To put bodies behind the ball and grind it out after the red card was the correct decision. Especially after our recent defensive worries. Very well done everyone!

Oh, and finally we got a referee do his job properly with that offside call - the amount of bad calls that costs us points is incredible...

OldRed1

This kind of attitude cost us the points against Leicester. West Ham just won against 11 man Pool. To put bodies behind the ball and grind it out after the red card was the correct decision. Especially after our recent defensive worries. Very well done everyone!

Oh, and finally we got a referee do his job properly with that offside call - the amount of bad calls that costs us points is incredible...
Thought the ref did a great job. Can never understand all the crap about refs, the odd game a ref can be really bad but overall they do a good job and a game cannot proceed without them.

Momochiru

Thought the ref did a great job. Can never understand all the crap about refs, the odd game a ref can be really bad but overall they do a good job and a game cannot proceed without them.
I don't have any complains against the refs today - maybe could've given a one or two more yellows to them, but those calls where a 50-50 sometimes given, sometimes not, so compliments where compliments are due. Clattenburg made probably over a dozen bad calls and all of them against us. Can't remember who was the ref against Swansea, but he allowed them to kick Herrera off the park, plus Bony bodychecking Jones for their goal. Same with Di Maria against Burnley. Overall I see a tendency of more bad calls against us than the average, in fact I don't remember any major bad call going in our favour this season. Today the offside call was spot on, so even though WH whined like babies we didn't benefit from any bad calls today - the refs just did their job right. Allardyce and Nolan were in fact complaining that the ref didn't do a bad call - that's how ridiculous the things are, teams see how many calls go against us and expect the same. Might be a bit of a backlash after the SAF era, who knows...

ninety

I felt like yesterday was another step in the right direction. I'm not going to say anything bad about Moyes but we are clearly a better team to watch this season and we certainly look a lot more potent in attack. That alone, for me, is cause to be optimistic.

I think we did relatively well defensively when you consider that Shaw played his first match for us, it was McNair's first senior match altogether and that Rojo was shifted across to the centre. Considering all those changes I thought we didn't do too badly. We're just unlucky at the moment that we can't settle down the back four with all the injuries we've had at the moment.

Thought McNair did as well as any of our defenders have done this season, will be interesting to see how often he features.

In regards to Rooney's sending off, he's got to be smarter than that. Kicking out like that is always going to get you a red. He's only got himself to blame for that one.

walkinhop

bloody hell...you're a barrel of fun aren't you. I thought Blind did really well considering we were down to ten men. Mata will be in anyway now, but I'm telling you, we will miss Rooney's defensive qualities, because Mata doesn't defend, he doesn't track back, whereas Rooney puts in a shift everywhere.
Sorry, i guess. I just call it the way i see it. Rooney just splits my opinion. He works hard and he scores but in 5 min he goes and disappoints big time.

NoPace

You could see how the ball and player movement pegged West Ham back so much it was hard for them to even come out and get after us, never mind actually create their own attacks. Downing started on Blind but had to drop deeper and wider to help out his teammates.

Good to see. We're starting to play modern football.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He's cracking up?
No i think it was a fair reaction. It was a disrespectful question. The way he asked it was designed to make a fool of LVG as much as Rooneys being his choice of captain and I think he reacted fine. I think it's valid if it's bad performances and multiple sendings off but we're talking one incident in a game where he's played well. Most people would have told him to feck off you know nothing cnut.

Sereques

Two mistakes from two of our leaders.

I think De Gea was overcompensating for his defenders by trying to come out aggressively. Rooney tried to protect the defense with his foul too.

Basically a lack of trust in our defenders being able to do their job.

Shaw should have played that ball to the wings. I blame Shaw for Rooney's red card.

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
No i think it was a fair reaction. It was a disrespectful question. The way he asked it was designed to make a fool of LVG as much as Rooneys being his choice of captain and I think he reacted fine. I think it's valid if it's bad performances and multiple sendings off but we're talking one incident in a game where he's played well. Most people would have told him to feck off you know nothing cnut.
Threads on Rooney as captain and yesterday's red card have reached double figures, and 25% of the respondents to a poll here saying we'd be better off when he's suspended indicate that this was a valid question. The response from LvG suggests that he is under enormous pressure, and given his personality it won't be long before he explodes.

Given the fixtures we have next this won't take long. :nervous:

Sereques

Threads on Rooney as captain and yesterday's red card have reached double figures, and 25% of the respondents to a poll here saying we'd be better off when he's suspended indicate that this was a valid question. The response from LvG suggests that he is under enormous pressure, and given his personality it won't be long before he explodes.

Given the fixtures we have next this won't take long. :nervous:

The results of that thread is based on Rooney asking to leave twice. Nothing to do with what happen yesterday. The question was disrespectful. Rooney is not and will not be the first and last captain to get sent off.

holyland red

The results of that thread is based on Rooney asking to leave twice. Nothing to do with what happen yesterday. The question was disrespectful. Rooney is not and will not be the first and last captain to get sent off.
I think many here questioned the decision as recently as the Leicester game, and Rooney's reaction to the third goal. I wasn't one of them, mind. Regardless, LvG looks nervous and perhaps lost for ideas. I can sense a meltdown if we show the same level of organization in the coming games, especially the Chelsea, City and Arsenal games. If the last two games are any indication then we'll be torn apart.

Sereques

I think many here questioned the decision as recently as the Leicester game, and Rooney's reaction to the third goal. I wasn't one of them, mind. Regardless, LvG looks nervous and perhaps lost for ideas. I can sense a meltdown if we show the same level of organization in the coming games, especially the Chelsea, City and Arsenal games. If the last two games are any indication then we'll be torn apart.
Again, everything people find negative about Rooney's actions is all because he asked to leave twice. Some did not buy the idea that someone that asked to leave the club should be allowed to captain the team. Our organization against West Ham was good, if we show the same level of discipline against Chelsea and City, we will get a result.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Don't want to be rude but what a load of rubbish. We were excellent the first 60 minutes in our last two games, probably the best I have seen in years. I have no fears at all, we will be back to the top rather sooner then later, if you can't see this then we see football differently. Our weakest link at the moment is DDG weak confidence, if he starts to command and show authority we will be fine.

holyland red

Again, everything people find negative about Rooney's actions is all because he asked to leave twice. Some did not buy the idea that someone that asked to leave the club should be allowed to captain the team. Our organization against West Ham was good, if we show the same level of discipline against Chelsea and City, we will get a result.
I wish I shared your optimism.

Lothar

I feel this team is right on the verge of being world beaters. If we get the defense sorted out I expect a win against almost any opponent and doing it fairly comfortably. When the team is on they create multiple chances in the span of minutes the likes of which Moyes team couldn't manage for months at a time. In the first 30 minutes of these last 3 games we've looked absolutely certain to score, and have. The "United always scores" is back.

holyland red

Don't want to be rude but what a load of rubbish. We were excellent the first 60 minutes in our last two games, probably the best I have seen in years. I have no fears at all, we will be back to the top rather sooner then later, if you can't see this then we see football differently. Our weakest link at the moment is DDG weak confidence, if he starts to command and show authority we will be fine.
Indeed, there is no need to be rude. We were excellent for 60 minutes at Leicester, but we conceded 4 goals in the remaining 30. Yesterday we defended on the edge of our box at home to West Ham for 30 minutes, and were lucky not to drop points. DDG lacks confidence either because he doesn't know who his back 4 are, or more alarmingly because he does. Our attacking game is a lot better than what we've used to see in recent seasons, but at the same time we panic every time the opposition crosses the half way line.

I am not sure about the time scale you're referring to regarding going back to the top, but I can see us languishing in mid-table in December.

Litch

Agree. I think we'll be back at the top sooner than most people think. We have truly world class players bought this window. Given they've only just arrived to the club and the league, their performances have been outstanding. We now have options to and when the other players come back in from their injuries, the bench is going to look very strong. We obviously have an issue at the back but at least we are now talking about a couple of players to improve us rather than another 5 or 6. We've also given youth a chance and the future looks bright as none of them to date have let themselves down.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Sometimes you just need to get a win.

I would rather have Rooney available but it might be a blessing in disguise that Mata now gets to play at no.10.

For me, Rooney should play as striker or not at all.

Godfather

This. Under Moyes we played God awful football. We already see a change in our approach under LvG and that just after a few months. Sure, I hope we had more points at this stage but I think all the signs are there that we will be back soon .

ThanksBoss26

A vital win. We did everything we didn't do last Sunday in terms of when our backs were against the wall yesterday, we rolled our sleeves up, stood up to it and battled it out.

Special mention to the back four who did well, particularly McNair on debut who was excellent. I've no doubt Shaw will be fantastic for us for a long time.

Also to Herrera too who is a super little midfielder.

We're a work in progress and they'll be more setbacks, particularly in the first half of this season. But there's no doubt in my mind we're on the right track.

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 499 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 18% Man Utd 3:1 West Ham
  • 11% Man Utd 3:2 West Ham