PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 27 September 2014

LARulz

Good confidence builder this. One of those games where we may look back at as a turning point.
100% agree. This game is much more useful than thumping them 5-0. Of course that would have been nice but this is where the team realises they can dig in if need to and not crumble like a deck of cards.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
1. Both the absolute best and worst from Rooney today. Absolutely mindless kick.

2. For once, our defenders did well. All four were brilliant.

3. De Gea has not quite started off where he left off last year. Some poor decision making.

4. Di Maria was exceptionally poor till the last ten minutes when he did well maintaining possession and killing time. Im sure it was a one off as hes been brilliant otherwise.

5. I'd like to see Januzaj start next match. Di Maria is the only one presently providing pace, I think with Rooney's suspension it would be a great opportunity to move to a 433 of sorts feating AJ and ADM. Mata, while I love him, will not be an injection of pace that I think we need certainly against better teams.

Someone

Something
That's a great win. The team did no wrong as a whole as far as i'm concerned. We've defended very well the whole game considering the injuries, the goal was an error by de gea and the red card was a mistake by rooney.

We didn't panic or crumble, the subs were good and necessary, couldn't be happier really.

itso 7

We should have played to our strengths before the red and this game would have been in the bag before that. Pleased with McNAIR, Shaw and Rafael. I think we need another player with different attributes in attack, maybe Adnan, to give us something different.

OneUnited24

They've also played City and Everton.

We just aren't good enough at the back. And I've said in the match thread several times, we cannot pass around at the back. It's suicide. We can't cope under pressure and our defenders aren't good enough as it is. We have to keep the ball in the final third to control games
See this is something that will improve over time, lets take a step back and think about it. Today we had Rojo playing his first game at CB for us and a McNair next to him who was making his debut - along with Shaw who has PL experience but is still a newcomer. Perhaps its just me but thinking back to it I dont recall West Ham troubling us all too much, in fact this season i feel a lot of the goals we have conceded have been mistakes that have lead to goals rather than us unable to defend. With a new manager comes new tactics, formations and expectations. LvG only said yesterday he feels hes giving the players too much at the moment to handle but thinks they will adapt.

On paper i know people look at the likes of Evans/Smalling/Jones and think they're not great but i still believe had any of them been fit this season and not playing with injury we wouldnt have shipped as many goals as we have. I'm not saying because we handled West Ham we can do the same against Chelsea/City but i think as the team plays more with each other they will start to be a lot more assured.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Allardyce actually used the word 'bollock'?!

togg

The sort of game and result that changes a teams mentality. It will do them a world of good. Just a bit worrying how a goal for the opposition puts us in to Brain Fart mode. It's like the blood runs from the players brains...

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Also, refs had nothing to do with today. Last week yes, today not even maybe. That is a red card every single time.

Infra-red

'Relief' is the overwhelming feeling after that.

Anyway, that's all the really easy games out the way now; Everton, Chelsea, City and Arsenal to come in the next 6...

OneUnited24

Also, refs had nothing to do with today. Last week yes, today not even maybe. That is a red card every single time.
What about in the build up to Rooneys red where a West Ham player clearly handballed the ball into Downings path? I'm not saying two wrongs do not make a right but had he correctly blown for that Rooney would not have got a red (it was deserved mind you but the point stands)

saivet

Missed the game, how did we play? How did Shaw and the young lad making his debut play?

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
We should have played to our strengths before the red and this game would have been in the bag before that. Pleased with McNAIR, Shaw and Rafael. I think we need another player with different attributes in attack, maybe Adnan, to give us something different.
I agree. But Adnan will need to make the most of his opportunity because theres a shitload of great class ahead of him. Just as long as its not Young and or Valencia!

jaimoe

I'll just throw it out there...I thought our play a man down was for the most part very,very good. I thought Valencia did very well and Fletch did a good job organizing. I can't understand why no AJ for RVP though, RVP was gassed.

RetroStu

I'm not as impressed as some of you. If we had been playing Chelsea or City or even Arsenal and the second half went like it did then yes it would of been a hard worked win but it was West Ham at home. Being down to 10 men shouldn't suddenly make West Ham into Barca mrk.2, we should lose a bit of possession, maybe give away a couple of extra chances but we should still have the quality to atleast match them even with 10 men.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
What about in the build up to Rooneys red where a West Ham player clearly handballed the ball into Downings path? I'm not saying two wrongs do not make a right but had he correctly blown for that Rooney would not have got a red (it was deserved mind you but the point stands)
Mistakes by refs are inevitable but theres no excuse for Rooney's actions today. That was violent conduct, and as captain thats completely unacceptable.

Moonred

I'll take anything. Good bit of defending in the end, but we really shouldn't be holding on like this. Most of our problems self created.

.Phil1968

My God I can never give up the fags while watching United.Contemplated biting my toe nails in the end nothing else left.Hoofing the ball long is only going to result in the ball coming back there were times when we should have run the ball and kept possession but great character from the lads and 3 points is very welcome.Now I'm going to have a drink.

OneUnited24

Headlines for tomorrow. " Brave West Ham denied a late equaliser with a bad call!"..
When i saw it i thought he was ahead of play, therefore offside. Was he on?

And if he was off is Big Sam annoyed that the goal was disallowed for being offside or that the ref called it without being 100% sure? Either way hes a dipshit

Melvyn

prostate examiner
The offside was incredibly tight. Goal could easily been given on another day.

caid

But Rooney was our best player in the first half and worked his bollox off. It was just a retarded moment
Have to agree.
It was between him and herrera for motm for me up to the sending off.
Herrera shaded it for me but im developing a man crush for him so i might be biased.

Defence overtook both after the sending off though.

It was stupid but i'd still play him when hes back (unless the other 3 do something special in the mean time).

Robbie Boy

Charlie Nicholas having a right go at nearly all our players on SSN. Bafflingly said Rafael was poor.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
I have a broken tv remote after Kevin Nolan's goal.

Thought it was a really spirited last half an hour. Though Rooney's red card was silly, he didn't skive the player down like the commentator was saying. Clipped him but was too high.

Natener

The players digged deep and held on as a team. The experience will do them a great more deal of good than the result itself. Plus McNair was thrown in the deep end and swam out of it beautifully. All in all a good outcome for us this match bar losing our captain for suspensions.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Missed the game, how did we play? How did Shaw and the young lad making his debut play?
Good first half. Got nervous after they got it back to 2-1. Rooney got a straight red for anxiety and then the whole team bounced between nervous/determined for the rest of the match. McNair had a really nice debut. Apart from the goal you wouldn't really have guessed that 2 of the defence were making their debuts and another one was making his positional debut. Rafael/Herrera could become a really good combination.

togg

It was. He looked young and inexperienced, and you could see he was getting tired, but mentally he was absolutely bang on and he maintained that concentration all the way through. Really pleased with him.
I agree...although in the match thread people were saying that Thorpe should have been played instead. Just goes to show that a manager does have more evidence on what is going on throughout the teams at united than people sitting at home......

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Can I take a second to laugh at Kevin Nolan thinking he'd scored the equalizer? Couldn't have happened to a nicer c*nt. :lol::lol::lol:

RetroStu

The offside was incredibly tight. Goal could easily been given on another day.

He's clearly offside from that picture. If we had scored that goal and it was given, rival fans would be shouting corruption.

saivet

Good first half. Got nervous after they got it back to 2-1. Rooney got a straight red for anxiety and then the whole team bounced between nervous/determined for the rest of the match. McNair had a really nice debut. Apart from the goal you wouldn't really have guessed that 2 of the defence were making their debuts and another one was making his positional debut. Rafael/Herrera could become a really good combination.
Cheers, at least there are some positives to take then.

Empire

Good to hold on. Makes our disappointing start look a little bit better now. Hopefully we can start to put together the run of wins we were hoping for after we beat QPR.
Against Everton, WBA, Chelsea, Man City, Crystal Palace, Arsenal?

Robbie Boy

The offside looks pretty clear in that photo. Offside is offside; distance is irrelevant.

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 499 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 18% Man Utd 3:1 West Ham
  • 11% Man Utd 3:2 West Ham