FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Wigan Athletic 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 08 January 2024

Ole'sgunnarwin

If this United side took a corner against my local u10s they wouldn't score and the kids would counter attack.

Matt Varnish

Lucky that Dalot found a nice finish because Hoijlund, McTom, Rashford and Bruno's finishing today was at best 3/10

Mainoo kept winning the ball and looked like the only real difference in quality between the 2 teams
Seeing as they had around 30 attempts between them 3/10 is quite a generous rating.
Bruno only managed to get on the score sheet with a penalty and celebrated like he'd just sored the winner in the ECL final

Hammondo

Forgetting that Wigan had 10 players camped infront of their goal for every shot we had. Many shots were deflected away for corners, but with a bit of luck they could quite easily fly in the net. We also hit the cross bar twice, and their goalie made at least 3 top saves.
It's a worry we even attempted half of the shots. Devoid of creativity and technical ability.

Matt Varnish

I've had to check last nights fixtures after reading some of the posts in this thread, for a moment I was thinking I'd watched a different game.
We gave what was one of best performances of the season so far, and failed, we have a bunch of forwards who if you painted the goals flourescent yellow, put fairy lights on it, and a big sign above it saying "GOAL" they still couldn't find it.
Rashford is Antony Mk2, and a poor one at that, a one trick pony, and he can't even do that against League 1 full backs.
Onana only had one thing, maybe two to do all game, and he did both well.
Apart from that only three or maybe four of our players get a mention in dispatches.
Evans
Dalot (Only for the goal)
Mainoo
Garnacho
These were the only ones I could see that had any hunger, the rest were just complacent, literally strolling around.
If any team comes in and offers us £50m for Rashford, Bruno, McTom or the rest of them, we should snatch their hands off.
Sorry, Rant over.

Saying that, I agree with whoever it was said we should keep an eye on Mr Tickle, and keep the other on Godo

Reactions: esmufc07

UnsungHero

Monitoring the preparation of the Vidal bid
I'm quite stunned people were happy with the game last night.

We were playing a team in the bottom half of League One and we made them look a Premier League side.

Just depressing really. Yes it's a good result, but pretty irrelevant - Spurs will probably thrash us.

Matt Varnish

We were playing a team in the bottom half of League One and we made them look a Premier League side.

Just depressing really. Yes it's a good result, but pretty irrelevant - Spurs will probably thrash us.
Looking at the part in bold, I think that fact brought some complacency into the team, some almost thinking all they had to do was turn up to win, they are the ones that got a shock.
A few as mentioned had the right mindset and did their jobs very well.

(Hopefully) Those same players that didn't perform last night, will have a totally different mindset against Spurs, they will need it, or we are in as you said for yet another wake up call. We do need to beat Spurs, they are on a roll, and with Chelsea and Newcastle on our heels we need the win to stay in touch with European places.
Chelsea have got Fulham, and Newcastle have City, tough games for both of them, so we need that win.

redshaw

Worrying how our dead attack still couldn't find the net and it's another defender with the one finish.

No Antony to blame, we're so inept at scoring.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

“we made them look like a Premier League side”

:lol: good one….

Maticmaker

We did the necessary, but still have players who "can't hit a barn door sat on the latch". Should have been 4 or 5 nil at halftime.

Thought Mainoo had a good game, and nobody (thankfully against a L1 side) disgraced themselves.
Marcus still slowing or stopping the game for 80% of the time when receiving the ball, otherwise there seemed to be lots of first time touches, layoffs and passes, certainly more than usual, but considering the opposition its perhaps not too surprising.

False feeling I know, but it was nice to watch a game where we were in control from start to finish.

Denis79

We did the necessary, but still have players who "can't hit a barn door sat on the latch". Should have been 4 or 5 nil at halftime.

Thought Mainoo had a good game, and nobody (thankfully against a L1 side) disgraced themselves.
Marcus still slowing or stopping the game for 80% of the time when receiving the ball, otherwise there seemed to be lots of first time touches, layoffs and passes, certainly more than usual, but considering the opposition its perhaps not too surprising.

False feeling I know, but it was nice to watch a game where we were in control from start to finish.
Mainoo was brilliant in my opinion. Only 18 years old and holding the center-midfield on his own, doesn't make it less impressive that it was against a League One side. What a gem we have in him.

Maticmaker

Mainoo was brilliant in my opinion. Only 18 years old and holding the center-midfield on his own, doesn't make it less impressive that it was against a League One side. What a gem we have in him.
Yes, I agree, his movements, body shape, touch on the ball and his ability to spot the danger, all first class in one so young. Just hope his development is not hampered by whats around him,

Hughie77

Wasteful in front of goal again. It took a RB come LB to score the first goal..

Hojlund should have had a few and Mctom and Rashford. ..pretty comfy game but wasted chance after chance that gives the opposition hope..

daba

I take your point, the pressure on him is both immense and unfair. But ability is ability, and I do hope you are not suggesting that in four years Rasmus Hojlund will be as good as Darwin Nunez. I would hope he would be looking to achieve far more than that.
No my point was more that there aren’t many u20 strikers in the top top leagues that are scoring regularly, so it’s unfair to put that pressure on Hojlund especially given the team around.

The pressure is on ETH / the team who chose to go for him this summer when he was clearly still raw and developing. They decided that he was the man to lead the line with no other striker bought to take on some of the weight, so it is their fault they have not tactically adjusted to suit their new 19/20 year old £70m striker. You could blame the players like Rashford and Garnacho for being too greedy, but ETH should be drilling them and drilling them that their first thought should be - where’s Rasmus? Hes missed chances of course, but he’s also had the worst service in the league. Put Hojlund in Liverpools team and he’d probs be on a similar number of goals to Nunez at 5 years his junior.

My final point regarding Nunez was more comparing what Nunez was doing at Hojlunds age (can say the same about most top 9s like Kane and Lewandowski too). Hojlund has good movement for age, has good instincts and he works hard, the bits he needs to work on are his composure (which will come with confidence and experience), better hold / link up play (Harry Kane wasnt the master hold up / link striker he is at 20 years old on loan in the championship was he?) and perhaps his aerial ability (which is something you can more easily train too).

I have full confidence in Hojlunds potential. Whether he was the right striker to buy last summer is another question. But he’s here now and we need to do better for him, or I fear he won’t realise the potential he has.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Rashford was the main reason we didn't score more. His decision making is so so poor. Hojlund is a close second.

KevinJoh

I am trying to understand why you all think that Garnacho had good game, while Rashford had bad? What Garnacho did the whole game beside that long range shot that ended on post and one cross that hit Hojlund? Both have been playing against League One defenders, not like it was different setup.

HaliRed

Efficiency by our forwards was very lacking as has been said, but some of the claims in here such as "Wigan were made to look like a Premier league side until the penalty" are just bizarre.

If you take this match on its own, it was a routine away win against a lower league side. However, taking this match on its own is nary impossible given the current season, so I do understand some of the trepidation.

For me, the biggest worry coming out of this match was how Rashford huffed and puffed and was kept in pocket by a League One side.

His lack of urgency and willingness to track back is frustrating (and almost expected these days), but last night really makes me wonder if he can make it back to the level he reached last season.

On to the next round!

mancsarered

I am trying to understand why you all think that Garnacho had good game, while Rashford had bad? What Garnacho did the whole game beside that long range shot that ended on post and one cross that hit Hojlund? Both have been playing against League One defenders, not like it was different setup.
Think it would be the two created chances

Coops73

Mainoo my MOTM by far, not sure how McCoist gave it to Dalot who was ok for me but again Rashford and Bruno were shocking with Mctominay not far behind but a wins a win, Spurs on Sunday will bring us joy obviously :rolleyes:

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Mainoo my MOTM by far, not sure how McCoist gave it to Dalot who was ok for me but again Rashford and Bruno were shocking with Mctominay not far behind but a wins a win, Spurs on Sunday will bring us joy obviously :rolleyes:
Would have to be for his goal if anything.

Gordon Godot

Reading that Rashford created six chances last night so seems unfair to dig him out whilst praising Garnacho.
I must have missed them. He looked really poor and incredibly slow in decision making. He slowed down so many attacks and lost all momentum.

Oranges038

Reading that Rashford created six chances last night so seems unfair to dig him out whilst praising Garnacho.
He laid one on for Dalot. What were the others, aside from the ones where he just cut in and had a shot for himself?

Maticmaker

Mainly for himself, when Marcus did hit the bye-line he only attempted to cross the ball when he had no other option.

I can appreciate that his personal game plan of 'cutting in' last season is not working this season, and getting to the bye line and then putting the ball across is welcome attempt to bring in others, namely Rasmus; but watching Marcus try to progress along the bye-line gives the impression he is still aiming for the near post to find a spot between keeper and post and only when that is not available he looks to cross.

No 'I' in team Marcus

Gator Nate

Mainly for himself, when Marcus did hit the bye-line he only attempted to cross the ball when he had no other option.
And the worst of that is how much time he had and used to triple-think the decision to pass it off. He absolutely did not want to give up on shooting it.

Maticmaker

And the worst of that is how much time he had and used to triple-think the decision to pass it off. He absolutely did not want to give up on shooting it.
Exactly, his frustration with his form is obvious, but his speed and surprise of last season is missing, mainly because other teams plan to counteract his preferred option and double mark him or the full back faces him full on, preventing his outside run.

I think twice this season I have seen him hit a first time early ball across the box, both resulted in the ball in the oppositions net, but one was ruled offside... Erik needs to get a grip with him!

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I must have missed them. He looked really poor and incredibly slow in decision making. He slowed down so many attacks and lost all momentum.

I think even in these 4 minutes highlights it shows that he wasn’t poor, made chances and didn’t slow down attacks. He was unlucky with the chances he had for himself too.

I can appreciate that his personal game plan of 'cutting in' last season is not working this season, and getting to the bye line and then putting the ball across is welcome attempt to bring in others, namely Rasmus; but watching Marcus try to progress along the bye-line gives the impression he is still aiming for the near post to find a spot between keeper and post and only when that is not available he looks to cross.

No 'I' in team Marcus
I don’t think chances created counts as a stat if he’s made a chance for himself, I think it has to be for someone else. Rashford does look to score more than assist he’s not a creative first winger, like a lot in the league that’s hardly news. There’s no point playing Rashford to get down the byline and put crosses in as his primary goal especially when we have a goal shy striker.

Hampshire Rec

I spent most of Monday worrying about the game and made me realise how shite we have become!

As said FFS it’s Wigan and I’m worrying!

My god how far we have fallen.

Gordon Godot

I think even in these 4 minutes highlights it shows that he wasn’t poor, made chances and didn’t slow down attacks. He was unlucky with the chances he had for himself too.

I don’t think chances created counts as a stat if he’s made a chance for himself, I think it has to be for someone else. Rashford does look to score more than assist he’s not a creative first winger, like a lot in the league that’s hardly news. There’s no point playing Rashford to get down the byline and put crosses in as his primary goal especially when we have a goal shy striker.
DOnt be silly. A highlights reel against Wigan, get some perspective. He should have had a field day. He constantly gets the ball on a break or in space, dummies a couple of times and then comes to a standstill. Its awful, get some perspective. Just because he congressionally managed to get the ball across, more by luck than judgement, doesn't change that

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Because of all the negativity around Rashford all season and the way people are always reluctant to criticise youngsters. You don’t expect unbiased opinions on here, surely?!?

Gordon Godot

Because of all the negativity around Rashford all season and the way people are always reluctant to criticise youngsters. You don’t expect unbiased opinions on here, surely?!?
Pogue you dont half post some rubbish. Rashford was poor, if you think that was a decent performance against a rubbish team then it shows how low your standards and expectations have sunk. His decision making is so slow its painful to watch.

Man of the Match

Kobbie Mainoo image Kobbie Mainoo 70% of 239 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 204 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wigan win
  • Draw