PL W FA Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 29 August 2021

Roane

Win is a win is a win but we were poor today.

With better finishers wolves could have had 3.

Lots of changes in our team so will take time. Likes of Sancho will need games to settle.

James shouldn't start games. If at all should be an impact sub. But ideally needs moving on.

::sonny::

De gea 10
Bissaka 5
Varane 7
Maguire 6
Shaw 7
Fred 5
Pogba 7
James 3
Sancho 2
Bruno 5
Greenwood 10

siw2007

Smash and grab. If we lost that game I wouldn’t complain about the result, we were very poor in the first half, 2nd half we got more of a grasp without exactly playing well but all it took was one chance.

Credit to the entire defence, Varane was brilliant in his debut but Maguire, De Gea and Wan Bissaka were great too. Pogba was so much better in the 2nd half while Fred and James really struggled, Sancho will have learnt what PL football is about today.

Personally, I thought we were too open in the 1st half, we didn’t look like a team and were too easy to counter. We didn’t handle Traore well, we shouldn’t be getting touch tight with him but give yourself a yard. Fortunately Wolves look very off colour in front of goal which gave us the chance.

7 points is good going into the break. Congrats to the team for 28 away games unbeaten in the league. Hope we are in better form after the break as we won’t get away with it every time

Chicharo

Win is what matters, but we need to settle a couple of things during the break

Ronaldo will be ready, so we need to sort out what our formation is, since he will play CF.
What is Pogba's position?
DM? We are screamin for a proper one

Last edited:

RedIan

Ffs go buy a holding midfielder. Imagine if fred and scott are both injured. Our midfield was completely over run 1st half. Better 2nd and a huge 3points.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
There was a ~15 minute spell at the start of the second half which showed the dream of having Pogba as CM. He was passing into the wingers and forwards at will, Wolves couldn't get out of their own half, scared of getting caught out, 4 forwards making forward runs in anticipation of the next through ball. Felt like what he was doing with France.

And then there was 75 minutes of drudgery with no control of possession.

I don't know if it's possible to fix whatever problems exist. James and Sancho certainly didn't help, and Greenwood as CF wasn't effective. Bruno was off all day. So maybe not the best day to judge that midfield, and if the others were better, it may not have looked so bad. Don't want to give up on it since the upside is so high.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
You'll be hard pressed to a find a more undeserved win throughout Europe all season.

An important win but a revolting performance.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I really struggle with that attitude. We were piss poor and yet you're happy we won?
If we continue like that, other teams will punish us. Ole still struggles to make us play great football as a team. So we need to address this now
Would you rather lose? Get out of it.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
That team had more than enough to sort Wolves out but, Varane aside, our passing and off e ball movement was appalling all over the pitch. Something that happens too often.

Stringer

United aren't winning the title with their current manager. The same issues in possession have been apparent ever since he joined and he has done nothing to rectify it. You don't see today happening to Man City, Liverpool or Chelsea (under Tuchel).

Fooza

That was an incredibly rubbish perfomance.

Just happy Varane and Maguire seem to work and we got 3 points.

cyberman

I really struggle with that attitude. We were piss poor and yet you're happy we won?
If we continue like that, other teams will punish us. Ole still struggles to make us play great football as a team. So we need to address this now
We won’t continue like that. As bad as we can be, that isn’t us.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
A solid win, but a sub-par performance overall. But people need to chill out with this "Most undeserved win".. blabla, Wolves created ONE clear-cut chance, but it seems DDG has found his way back to his old-self. Shit, he even played the sweeper-role today!

But our central midfield is a big problem in my opinion. Pogba just does not seem to find his place there for United like he does for France, and this really needs to be sorted. We cannot keep up with either City, Chelsea or Liverpool if we don't. Not even Ronaldo can fix this.
Did you watch the game?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
When our attack and midfield are good, our defenders shit the bed.
When our attack and defense are good, our midfield shit the bed.

Fred is obviously an issue in a midfield 2 without McTomminay. He rushes things and gets the ball in dangerous areas... our own areas. Pogba has to play on the left or in a midfield 3 to help create chances.

Surely Ole knows this. If not him, Carrick maybe? he was a midfielder himself. Surely someone at the club knows our midfield is so disjointed that wolves could just run all over it! please sign a midfielder before the window ends.

OrcaFat

I didn’t think it was that bad. A few players were off form. Sancho looked like a waste of money and Pogba looked like he never played CM before. Fred played as he often does (and often will) due to his lack of quality and game intelligence.

What many are overlooking in their comments is that Wolves are decent and Traore is a real handful when in form.

It’s a good win and anyone who expected an easy win after a stroll in the park must be mad.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Dan James was atrocious. Surely the last we see of him.

I am still worried. Our tactics today were to rely on individual brilliance. If Pep or Tuchel were in charge we would be winning this 3-0.

Okey

Phew! Well ground out win. New record to go with it. Wolves can go suck on one. There's no justice in football and we don't bloody care! 2 days to buy a DM, or we're still vulnerable to days like this.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Even when we win, i often come away frustrated. And it shouldnt be like that.

I honestly dont understand how that much talent can play so badly. It has to be the coaching, i mean it has to be, what else could it be?.

I'm sure we will get better as the season goes on but feck me, we have problems, BIG problems.
It could be a number of things, bad coaching isn’t one of them.

Wolves set up with their one tactic of giving Traore the ball and it was intimidating without being productive.
We were outfought in midfield until we changed it. These are tactical factors not coaching. With all the attackers we have, it’s a question of getting the right balance. Yes we are missing a good CM/ CDM but I’m sure we’ll get it right

SinNombre

Wolves (2.01) 0-1 (0.66) Man Utd

Should have won at Soton, should have lost here. Point wise, back to where we should be.

Esquire

Ffs that was a bad performance but Mason's finishing is incredible.

Can we please just pull a Chelsea, swap the manager and win the CL this year?
Curious, who do you want coming in?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Sign of a great team, champions mentality, poor performance but still grind out wins and never give up.

I hope the last two games shows that we need a DM and Ole is getting on the blower with Murtough and co and getting a DM in ASAP

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We are not going to be champions. Jesus Christ.
We’ve just signed Ronaldo. We’ve got Rashford to come back, Sancho to settle in, the best defence in the league. Absolutely no reason why we shouldn’t.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 66% of 459 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 450 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw