PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Post-match discussion

Mon, 14 August 2023

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Poor performance but we have 3 more points than we did at the start of last season...

It will be interesting to see if we persist with that shape as we go on into the season. We looked a bit like Liverpool, two attacking midfielders leaving a huge gap in midfield for one player to try and sort out.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Positives
  • 3 points
  • Onana in general and getting away with the penalty
Negatives
  • I don't have enough time

RoyH1

That was a poor start to the season. Hope we improve fast or otherwise we’ll be out of the running by October

fanutd

Really need to pick up fitness, sharpness, and much more if we are to get anything at Spurs.

Jacob

Genuinely one of the worst United performances I've seen. Wow.
I agree. And I'm not even knee-jerking. Every other pass went to shit. Utterly terrible performance. They ran right through our midfield.

We need another midfielder.

Red_Aaron

Incredibly lucky tonight
System didn't work and to a man we looked a mile off wolves fitness levels - they out ran and out fought us the entire game
Mental challenge from Onana at the end, that's a sonewall pen we've somehow got away with

tomaldinho1

First game, lots of leeway given in the grand scheme of things, it was the result we wanted but the performance we dreaded.

When the caf sees the problems in advance you know there are issues at the club. CM setup does not work, teams will pick us off and run through us with ease.

Onana, AWB and the subs generally were good. It was a new manager bounce but there are serious questions being asked about our fitness/conditioning (which I swear happens every year) - most of our team looked genuinely unfit

Long Time Red

Something seriously wrong.

How can so many players perform so poorly?

Casemiro, Mount, Bruno, Garnacho, Rashford and Antony all abysmal and even Martinez was below his usual level.

BarstoolProphet

Wolves cannot blame anyone but themselves. They should have been 5-1 up before the pen incident.

The Purley King

We should sign whoever wolves no.12 cunha? was.
Strolled through our “midfield” at will.

Very poor and extremely fortunate.
My expectations for the season massively downgraded after that.
Please ETH never play rashford as a centre forward again. Offered absolutely nothing

Orange Tree

1 - 0 win with us hanging by a thread at the end and GK has the MotM. It's like De Gea never left.

Onana, Varane, and AWB played well.

GreatDane

Seen better! Hopefully just nerves, it can only get better.
Still 3 points.

bondsname

We weren't good, but I did see a lot of fight. As long as the players fight for the team and the fans I'll be okay with any result.

Wolves were a lot sharper and their players are crazy fast, outrunning us everytime. I think it's a case of them being more prepared both mentally and physcially and thus had us against the ropes, I hope we find rhytmh until the next game though.

pogbasformerbarber

In some ways a great way to start the season...3 points and ETH will have plenty to criticize and lambast players for during training.

It's all about peaking later in the season. Early season, and first game, difficulties are fixable.

On a separate note...can we please...PLEASE...spend time this week on keeping freakin possession drills. My god.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Awful. Disorganised, second to every ball, careless in possession, completely outplayed in every area of the pitch.

God knows how we came away with 3 points.

hobbers

Absolute horror show. At least in the 7-0 we showed up for the first half. This was utterly rank all the way through, deserved to lose by 3 or 4.

Erik could just about get away with Antony being a giant waste of money. Hes not going to find it so easy getting away with Mount and Antony being huge wastes of money.

Rashford up front never works. Antony and Garnacho not good enough. Mount is not a midfielder. Casemiro cant play in a Rodri role and is flagging badly. Bruno plays worse when Mount is on the pitch in that horrid system.

Ekeke

Nunes and Cunha wont have another game this season with as much success going straight past players and causing problems to a defence. If they could finish or had a bit of luck they'd have had 2 or 3

Rustyspider13

Grim viewing. Didn't think that sense of relief from clinging onto a lead would come this early, at home against Wolves, but here we are. We got away with that one, no mistake about it. It was a penalty for Wolves in my eyes. Tonight I'll just be happy to take the win but I can't fully enjoy that win looking at how fragile we looked.

Hughes35

So weird to win 3 points and feel completely deflated about the new season. Its going to ge a looong season again.

We will definitely have at least one game where we get pumped 5 or 6 again too. They just ran through us at times.

Same shit, different season.

gajender

Is it hyperbolic to say that it was one of the worst performance under Ten Hag and to add insult to the injury I stayed up late for this shit .

Unam333

We look sluggish and can't keep the ball. Midfield was virtually non-existent.

Onana my man of the match. By the way, that wasn't a penalty in my books. The Wolves player already headed the ball away from the goal and then Onana clattered into him. Never a penalty, but of course the media will make a big deal out of it.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Seems an age ago that this club had a style of play (not counting LVG’s bore fest).

Strelok

We looked like crap but a win is a win. Looooot of things need to improve. Onana had a good debut though.

GazTheLegend

The pundits are gonna go on for weeks about that miss by Onana but it's not a penalty for me. He just misses the flight of the ball, three players going for it and a collision. Would have been stupidly soft. But I'm sure we will have a nonsense one one given against us in the next match when Klopp moans about it in his next presser.

RuudTom83

99 minutes of stress and frustration...cheers United!

But we will all be here next week.

RetroStu

Honestly we could be playing Accrington Stanley, and it would be a 50/50 nail biting match with parts of the game where we are second best.

And its like this no matter who we play. I'm sick of it to be honest.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
That was pathetic, shambolic and toothless. No change from last season. Very very leggy. Didn’t deserve 3 points. Wolves played their socks off.

alexanderplatz

Not much evidence of a press from the very front. Thought the front 3 were very poor. There were times I thought that we looked better at winning the ball back but really it was in glimpses and the midfield was poor all night. Onana looks decisive in that box at least even if he did nearly give away a pen. Does make a difference having a keeper who will just come and take the ball. Wins a win at the end of the day and surely we will improve next day out

delerium

What happened to Casemiro? I thought he was so slow and out of shape all game. Can't believe he played 90 minutes. Lethargic play all around, very lucky to get the 3 points.

Varane and AWB shared MOTM for me.

Man of the Match

Aaron Wan-Bissaka image Aaron Wan-Bissaka 35% of 426 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 419 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win