PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Post-match discussion

Mon, 14 August 2023

BrayRed

Pretty poor overall.
Bruno was anonymous. They just walked through the midfield.

3 points at the end of the day but big improvement needed for next Saturday

sixdwarf

Forget the league on that performance, even top 4
Knee jerk alert. But imo we would not be strong enough to challenge anyway based on the squad as it is. We have not enough goals and our back line with Onana worries me. I feel he has too many mistakes in him. And tonight he got away with not conceding a penalty with his reckless challenge.

Paul778

Too little work from the front three.

Our midfield and attack looked like strangers.

Banana Republic

ETH is making a catastrophic mistake leaving our central midfield so exposed and open.
The Sky post match analysis is going through it at the moment.
It was a shambles.
Mount is a good player and could be really useful, but we didn’t need him ahead of bringing in a good CDM .
Casemiro is shot and is going to be overrun in game after game, unless we get someone in there alongside him.

NZT-One

Crazy.....has the midfield really improved that much cause that looked absolutely no different than McFred. In fact worse as I dont think they would have ran so easy through us if Fred was there....
Its just an eternal issue with our team I guess.I mean, we had similar issues with Matic and Pogba - because all our attackers are looking to run in behind, they are high up the pitch while our defense isn't catching up because of... well it was DDG at times, Maguire at times. No idea what it was today. But this kind of setup makes sure that the midfielder has an almost impossible job, outnumberd, and huge space to manage.

RuudTom83

Wolves might have not brought any players in the summer...but they spent the cash on a running machine for everyone.

Bloody hell they were fit.

Witchking

Won't finish in the top 5. Pathetic performance. Had the chance to show that we are going to try our best. At home, play some fast good passing and create some decent chances. Instead, it's the same old same old.

Winrar

Absolutely got away with that one. Can't be playing like this especially with Spurs and Arsenal away coming up so soon.

Don't know why we prioritized Mount over someone like Amrabat or Lavia. He was a passenger this game, too.

Lost bear

Yeah cause that's how it goes isn't it. We got battered first 2 games last season and had one our best seasons post Fergie.
Yes. The match day threads have become literally unbearable. Of course, a poor performance - but maybe a tiny bit early to writing off the entire season, manager, players and all?

RetroStu

In SAF’s final season, we scraped past Fulham 3-2 after losing the opener away against Everton. I mean I love hyperbole as much as anyone but let’s not go overboard.
Its not hyperbole though is it. We could of been the best team of all time under SAF, and we still would of lost the odd game, played bad in the odd game. More often than not though, way more often than not, we would be blowing away teams every week, especuially teams like this at home.

These days you see teams like Wolvess thinking they can get something from us, and often leaving frustrated they didnt at the end of the game.

Jeffthered

AWB was one of our best players, what are you on about?
This is the problem we have. AWB did not play well today, but the thing is, many feel he is now 'good enough'. Because he is better than he was.

AWB is a Crystal Palace standard player. Has no business being at a big club with ambitions to win the Premiership.

AWB, Martial, Antony. Going nowhere with these players. They are not good enough. But some have been convinced that they are. And that's a shame.

Man City have a youngster (Palmer) who is miles, miles ahead of Antony, and he struggles to get 15 mins as sub. That's a proper, big club.

Tired of average players being accepted at Man Utd.

Gorse Hill Red

Ten Hag will learn from this.
Midfield three will get better the more they play.
Front three still an issue. No cutting edge for my liking, will be interesting to see Rashford on the left with Rojlund in the middle.
As for Wolves will be interesting to see if they put that much effort against Brighton on Saturday, I doubt it though.

sixdwarf

Crazy.....has the midfield really improved that much cause that looked absolutely no different than McFred. In fact worse as I dont think they would have ran so easy through us if Fred was there....
Selling Fred for buttons seems madness considering our lack of backup. We have to bring bodies in. Amrabat would be a great signing.

Gordon S

Mount is everywhere and nowhere at the same time, wins the ball a few times but leaves our midfield absolutely wide open quite a lot as well.
I have been puzzled by this transfer from the start. Are we absolutely sure we couldn`t have found a clueless energy player for less than 60m?
Casemiro walks around the pitch at times. So so slow. So easy to catch when he doesn`t move the ball first touch.
Antony Santos, Antony fecking Santos, my head spins. Neto looks like a young Kaka in comparison.

We need to find something in the transfer market really quick. I would settle for De Jong Tchouameni and Amrabat.

We are playing fecking Wolves at home and you need a towel to wipe your ass every 5 minutes.

Jordan_mufc

Gary O'Neil a class act and really good manager imo. Wolves will be good this season.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Front three still an issue. No cutting edge for my liking, will be interesting to see Rashford on the left with Rojlund in the middle.
As for Wolves will be interesting to see if they put that much effort against Brighton on Saturday, I doubt it though.
You'd think he'd know about structure and the basics. All that was lacking.

theatreofdreams777

My gut feeling is saying we'll be worse than last year. Yes, I'm not very optimistic about this season.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I won't be surprised if Spurs gave us a trashing. How many chances did Wolves miss? Spurs wouldn't miss that many. I just surprised how this team put up such a first game of the season. We should celebrate to get 3 points that is undeserving.

BTG

24 minutes in to my recording.
So far the front 3 look too timid.
Wants to run with the ball in to 3 defenders instead of playing an earlier pass.

Balls from the midfield that could spring the wingers free are to weak causing them to be slowed down just enough to let the wolves get back.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Why is EtH wearing a cocktail dress?

Ceteris

Who is that player in the team that can pick up the ball, turn and run into the opposition area like the Wolves midfield today? We don't have any

We keep spending but wrong player profile and wrong positions

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Positive: We're already 3 pts better off than at the same stage as last year.
Negative: a better side will destroy us if we do that again.

Strelok

Help me understand the keeper issue in football.

1. A goalkeeper has full use of his body
2. An outfield player has limited use of his body

Therefore, the full bodied goalkeeper is biomechanically not the one who needs the protection since he has full physical capacity in both force and momentum.

Also, how is it that :-

1. If a static keeper is impeded by an outfield player with a running start and a jump which collides into the keeper it's an automatic foul, yet

2. If a static outfield player is impeded by a goalkeeper with a running start and a jump which collides (read clotheslines) with an outfeld player the keeper has nigh impunity.

The contradictions are all over the place. I'm glad we won, but.....like that?
He's in his 6 yards box. Keepers are very protected and have extra privileges in that box. No ref gonna give a pen if a keeper collides with opponent players inside the box catching a cross. Google the rules and you'd see mate.

ManRed

Playing in transition or quick attacks you cant keep giving the ball away so easily. Everytime Garnacho ane Antony got the ball they just gave it away and midfield was caught out in a no man area. Eriksen was the calming factor last season and we need that from Mount and Bruno. Biggest concern was the team looking off pace and physically a step behing Wolves. Unfortunately i think we will be playing catch up after a few games

cpresc

Well, on a positive note I was convinced we were going to deservingly concede a goal near the end... and we didn't.

Other than that, pretty grim viewing - especially gutted given how excited I've been all weekend to watch us.

Some massive pressure on Hojlund now to transform this team.

I do expect us to get better though - we looked knackered, like the games after the League Cup final... I hope it's just from a brutal pre-season.

siw2007

That was very poor, we were very lucky to come away with the 3 points.

Wolves were well organised but they waltzed through us, we departed like the Red Sea over and over again. Our players worked hard but the team itself just didn’t play any good football, they seemed to not understand the tactics they’ve been sent out to use, they looked unsure and a little lightweight. No point pointing out individual performances as they were all rubbish apart from perhaps Onana, Varane and maybe AWB.

I suspect they will have a pretty difficult day on the training ground tomorrow. ETH has got to get this group working well as a team otherwise we might get battered a few times.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
The same ones who said Ole was shit, I presume. It’s a work in progress, for sure, but it’s the first game of the season and at least we won, eh?
The only positive was that we won. But performances like that against bigger teams and we concede 3/4 goals.

the_cliff

I'm a bit worried about that.

Majority of people and their dog would've told you at the beginning of the summer transfer window we needed a midfielder and not the profile of Mount, I'm not saying Mount is a bad signing but we needed a 6, a controller type 6 or even a ball winning 8 more importantly than we needed Mount.

If ETH is just learning from this now then I'm worried.

I can see what ETH is trying to do in terms of style of play, turn us more into a Klopp Liverpool than a Pep City, the problem is our quality in wide areas are nowhere and I mean nowhere near Liverpools, Trent/Salah Robertson/Diaz are 10 tiers above what we have on the flanks.

Telsim

I don't ever want to watch Arsenal, Newcastle, and Brighton and feel more excitement than watching us. Arsenal are Arsenal. Newcastle nearly escaped relegation one season ago. Brighton sold their entire midfield. Yet, when I watched them this weekend I was very entertained. I cannot say the same for tonight.

Get it sorted.

Glorio

Who is that player in the team that can pick up the ball, turn and run into the opposition area like the Wolves midfield today? We don't have any

We keep spending but wrong player profile and wrong positions
Because we have the likes of Garnacho, Rashford, even Pellistri and Rojlund, I'll assume you're referring to the midfield. In which case, Hannibal - plain and simple. Mainoo is another.

If we're really not buying anyone, the youngsters are going to have to come in at some point

meamth

Massive WUM.

Clearly not up to speed yet. This is the team that has beaten all top 6 sides last season.

Scrappy win? Fair enough, I'd take that.

Wrecking ralf

My opinion. That’s not a pen. Onana is allowed to go for the ball. The player he makes contact with isn’t getting the ball as the player next to him heads it back scores goal and isn’t affected. Too much is being made of this, probably because it’s us. Wouldn’t be mentioned as much for another team

Man of the Match

Aaron Wan-Bissaka image Aaron Wan-Bissaka 35% of 426 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 419 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw