Potential CB Options

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Gives me the Rojo feels the way he flies into tackles, in a good way.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2020
Scout
Has anyone watched much of Romero? I’ve literally seen nothing but just looked up one of those welcome to United videos and first half he was looking like the love child of Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo and I was thinking surely these aren’t the best clips to show.

By the end of it he looked better but much of it seemed like recovery tackles for mistakes he’d already made. Is he a Maldini in disguise and the video I chose was edited by an idiot or has he got a touch of the Rojo/Bailly/Jones about him?
The highlights don't do Romero justice. They make him look way more reckless than he is. As the anchor in a back 3/4, he is the most disciplined defender in Atalanta and even more disciplined than Jones, Rojo, Milenkovic, Koundé, Upamecano, Militao, Ramos, etc. He often has to deal with two poor defenders on either side of him (especially Rafael Toloi, who's basically a full back).

croadyman

My only worry with Romero/Torres even Kounde is that they won't displace Lindelof in the way that Varane definitely does

jesperjaap

V good player. Would love to see him at United.

Godfrey, Diop, I’ll also chuck in Salisu as a wild card as I thought he was great in LL and I think has looked promising in the PL. these are my realistic signings and not just throwing out the usual Varane rubbish.
I like Godfrey, think he can develop into a really good centre back. But lets not forgetm Everton have already spent £25m for him after one season at Norwich in the permiership. YOu woul dhave to think a sale of him would be approaching £45-50m and he is very much a developing player, still a long way to go. I think that kind of puts him out of the equation as a feasible target both in terms of a fee and in correlation to that, where he is at level wise currently

jesperjaap

Gives me the Rojo feels the way he flies into tackles, in a good way.
Seen little of him, but that was the fear for me. Occasionally over aggresive, I did instantly think Bailly/Rojo. Apart from that, what I can remember he looked good, but wasnt really paying attention to him individually as hadnt heard of him at the time. He did stand out in European tie I watched a bit of though.

Wining defender of the year in Serie A, he has to be prety good though. As poor as Serie A has been fo rsome time, still a lot of quality defenders in the league though. It does look to be press gossip though, I do trust Romano and his comments seem to suggest its ulterior motives with these links and probably an agent or something driving these stories

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Seen little of him, but that was the fear for me. Occasionally over aggresive, I did instantly think Bailly/Rojo. Apart from that, what I can remember he looked good, but wasnt really paying attention to him individually as hadnt heard of him at the time. He did stand out in European tie I watched a bit of though.

Wining defender of the year in Serie A, he has to be prety good though. As poor as Serie A has been fo rsome time, still a lot of quality defenders in the league though. It does look to be press gossip though, I do trust Romano and his comments seem to suggest its ulterior motives with these links and probably an agent or something driving these stories
Yeah, I'd need to watch more of him, but despite their faults, when Bailly/rojo get it right, it's pretty majestic.

I guess we'll see soon enough if it's gossip or a real move.

criticalanalysis

My only worry with Romero/Torres even Kounde is that they won't displace Lindelof in the way that Varane definitely does
I think people will be surprised by how easy it will be to replace Lindelof as long as they can stay fit and can get a decent run of games.

If Bailly or Tuanzebe had stayed fit, we may not be having this discussion or rather it would be on the lower end of the priority imo.

justsomebloke

The highlights don't do Romero justice. They make him look way more reckless than he is. As the anchor in a back 3/4, he is the most disciplined defender in Atalanta and even more disciplined than Jones, Rojo, Milenkovic, Koundé, Upamecano, Militao, Ramos, etc. He often has to deal with two poor defenders on either side of him (especially Rafael Toloi, who's basically a full back).
Not that impressive on the ball though.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2020
Scout
Not that impressive on the ball though.
He's good on the ball, but given that he's the anchor at the back, he's the least adventurous of the lot. Toloi and Djimsiti/Palomino tend to play a way more attacking role as wider centre backs, so Romero has to play it safe as the last defender in the team. Despite that, he's still shown good passing in certain moments and even pushed into the final third from time to time. Of course, he's no Koundé or Upamecano on the ball, but he never get nervous when under pressure.

Bastian

I think with the money we're likely to spend, that's a formality. The worry is will they be good enough, regardless of Lindelof.

jesperjaap

Majority of links seem to be with La Liga centre backs....Varane, Torres, Kounde. Think they should be with Serie A ROmagnoli, ROmero, Bastoni....all good on the ball but I think the Serie A defenders are all better defensively and personality/leadership wise for us, two of the three would undoubtedly be cheaper.

Really dont get the fuss over Torres at all personally. Very good on the ball, but he doesnt look like a proper defender to me....maybe thats just my personal taste

croadyman

I think with the money we're likely to spend, that's a formality. The worry is will they be good enough, regardless of Lindelof.
Yeah maybe we should consider an offer for Ramos and then could use the CB budget on a proper DM instead