Potential CB Options

BFernandes

Think he only has 2 years left on his contract so I guess not impossible but I would have thought inter would sooner shift the likes of Erikson, Sanchez or if they really need cash one of martinez or Lukaku
Would find it strange if we didn't have some sort of interest in him. Seems to have a lot of what we're looking for. Good in the air, very good with the ball at his feet, left footed and an integral part of a defence that has just won a major league title.

On a different point, does it even matter? We could have prime Beckenbauer in that defence and we'd still look completely unorganised. It's been the same all season - and Ole has shown an inability to get a handle on our set-piece vulnerability.

Last edited:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Would find it strange if we didn't have some sort of interest in him. Seems to have a lot of what we're looking for. Good in the air, very good with the ball at his feet, left footed and an integral part of a defence that has just won a major league title.
Much of the value that he offers is on the ball. He's at his best when he gets on the ball and carries it forward or plays an incisive pass from the back. Defensively, he's good in the air and can put in a tackle, but he's not as good in several other areas as a bunch of other options; I'd put his defensive ability with Koundé, which I'd put below Upamecano.

Sigma501

Supports
Football
Liverpool have this morning triggered the release clause for Ibrahima Konate from RB Leipzig. Potentially going to be a great defender if he can stay injury free, but he has been beset by injury problems this season making only 18 appearances.

Is he potentially a good buy, at £35 million he appears to be cheap?

gajender

Liverpool have this morning triggered the release clause for Ibrahima Konate from RB Leipzig. Potentially going to be a great defender if he can stay injury free, but he has been beset by injury problems this season making only 18 appearances.

Is he potentially a good buy, at £35 million he appears to be cheap?
Injury prone player with only one good domestic season behind him and that too couple of years back and once you factor in his lack of experience outside the domestic league he is hardly cheap punt for £35 million .

Some rate his potential highly but from little I saw of him he is a player who looks clumsy and unrefined on the ball and relies heavily on his physicality while defending . Not somebody I would have liked United to pursue .

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I quite like him. I don't really trust CBs who can't head the ball (Lindelof, Bailly, Kounde) - Caleta-Car is one of the aerially strongest CBs in Europe. Not completely sold on his passing ability from the admittedly little I have seen of him, though.
I’ve been wondering myself why we are not linked with this lad ahead of the names I’m seeing linked with. He is good passer but not great at it. Just makes the quick simple pass forward to get the play moving. He is a defender and that’s what we need next season.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Aerially strong, a strong tackler, and an overall aggressive defender, Caleta-Car is a player who can excite the fans with his style. Despite not being that great on the ball, he's no liability like Smalling is; people had doubts over Skriniar's ability on the ball, but he's not done so badly in Inter's back 3.

My main concern with him is on how tunnel-visioned he gets with his defending. Because he's so committed, he can potentially be easily bypassed if the opposition disrupt our defensive shape, sort of like Smalling, Skriniar, Joe Gomez, Koundé, and Kabak.
I just hope we don’t regret not looking at him. Young, ready for step up in class, leadership and monstrously built. He doesn’t lack passing ability just prioritises the simple quick forward accurate passes with nothing fanciful, let defending be the priority in our search.
I really like and rate this lad. He is going under the radar unnoticed but believe he is a gem ( kinda like Van D) waiting to explode.

telstar96

Since Inter are skint, how about an attempt at Skriniar?
If Inter are having a fire sale this summer, we really should be going for Bastoni.

I see a majority of fans talk about United's inability to play out of defence, so a player like Bastoni would be a great start to solving this issue. He's very comfortable on the ball and can either pass it through the lines or dribble forwards to get us up the field. He's 6 ft 3 and good in the air, so that would help remedy our issues with set-pieces. Also, he's left footed, so we could slot him in at left centre back alongside Maguire which could give us more angles of attack when playing out of the back.

Overall, Bastoni has had the 2nd most minutes for Inter (behind the goalkeeper and the most out of all centre backs), so Conte clearly has seen something special in this player, especially when you consider the calibre of defenders Conte has worked with in the past at both Juventus and Chelsea. Bastoni is only 22 as well! So this would definitely be a transfer for now and the future.

It's quite hard to gauge how much he'll cost but if he gets a run out for the Italian side at the Euros, I expect his reputation and price to skyrocket.

Reactions: golden_blunder

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
If Inter are having a fire sale this summer, we really should be going for Bastoni.

I see a majority of fans talk about United's inability to play out of defence, so a player like Bastoni would be a great start to solving this issue. He's very comfortable on the ball and can either pass it through the lines or dribble forwards to get us up the field. He's 6 ft 3 and good in the air, so that would help remedy our issues with set-pieces. Also, he's left footed, so we could slot him in at left centre back alongside Maguire which could give us more angles of attack when playing out of the back.

Overall, Bastoni has had the 2nd most minutes for Inter (behind the goalkeeper and the most out of all centre backs), so Conte clearly has seen something special in this player, especially when you consider the calibre of defenders Conte has worked with in the past at both Juventus and Chelsea. Bastoni is only 22 as well! So this would definitely be a transfer for now and the future.

It's quite hard to gauge how much he'll cost but if he gets a run out for the Italian side at the Euros, I expect his reputation and price to skyrocket.
Unfortunately, Bastoni has recently renewed his contract with Inter until 2024, so that rules him out for now.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Surely Maguire plays on the left now, likes playing with Shaw. Would have thought a right-sided CB would be ideal. No idea how important the sides thing is, other than sticking with a settled pair.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Surely Maguire plays on the left now, likes playing with Shaw. Would have thought a right-sided CB would be ideal. No idea how important the sides thing is, other than sticking with a settled pair.
Yes moving Maguire to the right wouldn't make sense.

Tapori

Italians rarely leave Italy but excellent shout. https://fbref.com/en/players/75b86fb3/scout/365_euro/Alessandro-Bastoni-Scouting-Report

Mylock

Our new CH should come from one of the following five players Torres, Edmond Tapsoba, Varane, Koude and White. Each one has its weaknesses. The big question is, do you go for experienced or potential? Potential Tapsoba has everything needed but experienced; Varane has the most experience but has hit his ceiling.

Denis79

Watched him a few times this season, he's been solid. Athletic, fearless and good on the ball. Good shout.

Dominos

I said in the Varane thread that I'd be shocked if we get a free run at him with no competition. Surely at least one of the likes of PSG, City, Chelsea will take him on a cut price deal if he only has 1 year left on his contract? Even if we win the race for him, the competition will likely drive the price up unfortunately.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Kounde is my preference since this January and he already opened himself to leave and join bigger club club to win. He’s been reported a lot to be one of our target and being scouted by our scouts a lot this season. And his transfer fees will be about the same as Varane. The point is, there is an alternative in the CB spot even if we lose one of them to Chelsea.

seegoblu

Any chance we could get Laporte from City...would fit the left foot/play from the back mold that Ole seems to want to fill. Downside would be that the deal would help fund Pep's acquisition of Kane or Grealish.