Potential Centre-Back Signings

Kingslayer18

If the new ownership was in place and I was the person in charge, I'd be signing one or two out of Ousmane Diomande, Todibo, Thiaw, Guehi and Antonio Silva. And I'd also look at the lad from Everton (Branthwaite) as the left footed CB to rotate with Martinez. It's not difficult to construct a team as long as one understands the strategy and how the new signings will fit into a proactive attacking game plan both in-possession and out of possession.

I like the options you give with the top 2 candidates to be one of Ousmane Diomande and Todibo, with Diomande perhaps having the largest upside but Todibo still has untapped potential. The only drawback with Antonio Silva is that he lacks the requisite speed to defend large areas.

jeepers

He is a very highly rated Portuguese CB that plays for Sporting. He is not some random CB. Although, I'd much rather go for Ousmane Diomande from Sporting.
Oddly specific that it is Inacio because he's a left footer. If he comes, I doubt he will be keen on competing with Lisandro, he would want to be first choice.

Has anyone watched that Debast kid from Anderlecht?

Kingslayer18

Oddly specific that it is Inacio because he's a left footer. If he comes, I doubt he will be keen on competing with Lisandro, he would want to be first choice.

Has anyone watched that Debast kid from Anderlecht?

Good shout that, Debast seems to be highly rated.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
We will most likely have to get two new players in the next year. Lindelöf´s contract is running out and Maguire is likely to leave next summer. We should aim to get a good prospect and one entering his prime years.

Looking at the players mentioned Inacio and Todibo makes sense. Two left footed players and two right footed players. Evans may as well continue as fifth option. I´m not against it.

LCB: Martinez (25 yo) + Inacio (22)
RCB: Varane (30) + Todibo (23)

And a 72 year old Evans as back up. There will be plenty of game time for every one.

philippexyz

Antonio Silva, Alessandro Bastoni, Giorgio Scalvini, Jean-Clair Todibo, Piero Hincapie, Goncalo Inacio, Ousmane Diomande, Edmond Tapsoba...

These all are the names that should be considered. Ideally, we bring two of them, but that is possible only with new ownership and injection of life(cash) into this club. Get rid of Maguire and Lindelof and replace them with quality, the way City do. Varane could be sold to Saudis, who knows what his ambitions are. Great player still, but we all know about his injury proneness.

Roboc7

We will most likely have to get two new players in the next year. Lindelöf´s contract is running out and Maguire is likely to leave next summer. We should aim to get a good prospect and one entering his prime years.

Looking at the players mentioned Inacio and Todibo makes sense. Two left footed players and two right footed players. Evans may as well continue as fifth option. I´m not against it.

LCB: Martinez (25 yo) + Inacio (22)
RCB: Varane (30) + Todibo (23)

And a 72 year old Evans as back up. There will be plenty of game time for every one.
I agree we need two but I think we should be looking to get rid of Varane and Maguire. We need the money from Varane whilst he has value and we also need a RB and a LB as well. I’d sell Malacia and either AWB or Dalot and bring in a Vandersin and Barco.

The squad needs a huge overhaul and we’ve got to start selling and buying more players.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I like the options you give with the top 2 candidates to be one of Ousmane Diomande and Todibo, with Diomande perhaps having the largest upside but Todibo still has untapped potential. The only drawback with Antonio Silva is that he lacks the requisite speed to defend large areas.
Todibo for me is a RB/RCB and would fit in well as someone who starts wide as a RB but tucks in to make a back 3 in a higher line. Diomande or Antonio Silva would work well as the central CB. I think Maguire will leave and I'd also move Lindelof on. I'd keep Varane for another year because he could help the new CBs settle into their surroundings.

But realistically we aren't getting both Diomande and Todibo under the Glazer ownership. So I think it'll be one of Silva or Diomande for the CCB role and if we can get Jarrad Branthwaite from Everton to rotate with Martinez, I feel he has good potential.

Under ambition owners you buy Diomande, Todibo and Branthwaite.

Kingslayer18

Todibo for me is a RB/RCB and would fit in well as someone who starts wide as a RB but tucks in to make a back 3 in a higher line. Diomande or Antonio Silva would work well as the central CB. I think Maguire will leave and I'd also move Lindelof on. I'd keep Varane for another year because he could help the new CBs settle into their surroundings.

But realistically we aren't getting both Diomande and Todibo under the Glazer ownership. So I think it'll be one of Silva or Diomande for the CCB role and if we can get Jarrad Branthwaite from Everton to rotate with Martinez, I feel he has good potential.

Under ambition owners you buy Diomande, Todibo and Branthwaite.

So in the event we're still under Glazer ownership, which is looking more likely every day, you would target Diomande over Todibo as a RCB? What are your thoughts on Silva's lack of pace, if he's expected to cover large areas of ground as the RCB. I would rather we target a RCB that has speed, good athleticism and agility.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So in the event we're still under Glazer ownership, which is looking more likely every day, you would target Diomande over Todibo as a RCB? What are your thoughts on Silva's lack of pace, if he's expected to cover large areas of ground as the RCB. I would rather we target a RCB that has speed, good athleticism and agility.
I'm definitely in favour of signing Diomande over Todibo. I'd also take Diomande over Silva. But I don't believe Silva lacks pace from what I've seen and I think he would be fine defending the channel in a 1v1 scenario because he's quick and agile.

Todibo for me is someone who could easily play the RB role in build up and tuck inside to form a back 3 in a higher defensive line. I think he would be a potential upgrade on AWB due to his wider skillset and versatility.

I think if we managed to sign Diomande or Silva along with one of Todibo (RB/RCB), Branthwaite (LCB), we'd be on the right track. I'd personally sign both Diomande and Todibo. We need CBs who have the physical, athletic and technical ability to be strong out of possession, as well as being strong in-possession. I don't feel we can compromise on the aforementioned requirements in a EPL that is dominated by teams who control the defensive and offensive transitions.

Last edited:

redcucumber

Sign a new centre back to pair with Martinez, sell the rest of them. Cocks.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
He is a very highly rated Portuguese CB that plays for Sporting. He is not some random CB. Although, I'd much rather go for Ousmane Diomande from Sporting.
Maguire is a very highly rated by Garteth Southgate...

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Lindelof and Maguire need to be moved on to make space for 2 young CB. We have plenty of experience with Evans, Varane and Martinez to help them bed in.

Definitely need to get a CB who can cover at rb too my, Dalot has recently signed a new contract with us but can't defend to save his life.

Red_toad

Where’s the cash coming from? We’ve got too many players happy to pick up big pay cheques and not playing.

Bwuk

I think we realistically need to sign 2 next summer, which is worrying.

Varane - he’ll be 31 and injury prone. I’m not sure how much longer we can rely on him as our undisputed starting CB.

Martinez - he’ll miss about half this season, and he missed the tail end of last. Who knows what state he’ll be in.

Maguire - he’s shite. Hopefully able to move him on, he’ll only have a year on his contract.

Lindelof - absolute wimp. Has to go.

Evans - out of contract. Would imagine he might retire.

We really aren’t in a position of strength here.

Tyrion

Varane - he’ll be 31 and injury prone. I’m not sure how much longer we can rely on him as our undisputed starting CB.

Martinez - he’ll miss about half this season, and he missed the tail end of last. Who knows what state he’ll be in.

Maguire - he’s shite. Hopefully able to move him on, he’ll only have a year on his contract.

I'd honestly say our last solid centre back pairing could be over a decade ago with Vidic and Rio. Since then we've had Smalling, Jones, Blind, Bailly, Rojo and a few others who've all been Europa League standard.

Kingslayer18

I'm definitely in favour of signing Diomande over Todibo. I'd also take Diomande over Silva. But I don't believe Silva lacks pace from what I've seen and I think he would be fine defending the channel in a 1v1 scenario because he's quick and agile.

Todibo for me is someone who could easily play the RB role in build up and tuck inside to form a back 3 in a higher defensive line. I think he would be a potential upgrade on AWB due to his wider skillset and versatility.

I think if we managed to sign Diomande or Silva along with one of Todibo (RB/RCB), Branthwaite (LCB), we'd be on the right track. I'd personally sign both Diomande and Todibo. We need CBs who have the physical, athletic and technical ability to be strong out of possession, as well as being strong in-possession. I don't feel we can compromise on the aforementioned requirements in a EPL that is dominated by teams who control the defensive and offensive transitions.

I like your idea of Todibo as a RB that can tuck in and provide a 3 in the backline. One drawback to that is, we have right wingers (Antony, Sancho, Amad) who play best with and need a RB that overlaps and stretches the pitch, so that they can drive infield and provide the inverted attacking angles. In that sense, we would probably need a more attacking RB, so that our right wingers can benefit from the same opportunities that Shaw provides Rashford.

In that sense, I like Vanderson, Jeremie Frimpong or Amar Dedic from Salzburg in that sense.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
How about Lutsharel Geertruida. He's leaving at the end of the season amyway and was fantastic yesterday against Atletico (and has been one of the central players in pur recent success). Young, strong, good on the ball and multifunctional (RCB and RB).

He also has a great beard and more Feyenoord at United is always good.

FerociousCorgis

honestly it might even be realistically need 3. I feel like we dont have any youth options that are on the cusp or anything, and as you said pretty much everyone but martinez prob needs moving on by then. And that is a big assumption that martinez turns his season around and gets healthy/stays healthy. We have absolutely no shot with the glazer leeches still here next season

RedOrange

Wishful thinking but we ain’t playing football manager.
Usually that's too much to change in a short amount of time, but the situation is dire. Varane can't stay fit, Maguire is terrible and Lindelof isn't much better.

Ideally we'd dump Maguire and McTominay in January and use whatever proceeds to get another CB in and then sell and replace Varane and McTom in the summer.

FerociousCorgis

Usually that's too much to change in a short amount of time, but the situation is dire. Varane can't stay fit, Maguire is terrible and Lindelof isn't much better.

Ideally we'd dump Maguire and McTominay in January and use whatever proceeds to get another CB in and then sell and replace Varane and McTom in the summer.
dump to who though? And for what value? Whoever turned down that double offer from west ham was stupid as hell.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

Ye that’s probably more realistic. Maguires the reason we couldn’t sign another CB last summer.

lex talionis

You've spoken to an insider?
No, I merely speculate. With a few famous exceptions we normally don't do transfer business in January. But beyond that, we just don't have the funds to buy a proper CB until we sell Maguire and there's no reason to believe that we'll find a buyer for Maguire in January.

What we should be doing, in light of our injury crisis, is to let Maguire have a run of matches during this injury crisis if for no other reason to put him in the shop window before we have to put him back on the bench for the difficult opponents coming up in November and December. But no, we probably won't do that.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I like your idea of Todibo as a RB that can tuck in and provide a 3 in the backline. One drawback to that is, we have right wingers (Antony, Sancho, Amad) who play best with and need a RB that overlaps and stretches the pitch, so that they can drive infield and provide the inverted attacking angles. In that sense, we would probably need a more attacking RB, so that our right wingers can benefit from the same opportunities that Shaw provides Rashford.

In that sense, I like Vanderson, Jeremie Frimpong or Amar Dedic from Salzburg in that sense.
I think what you're proposing could also work. And those names you mention are interesting players. Dedic I've been watching since last season and he's a talented young player with a lot of potential but possibly needs another year or two before making a step to a big club imo.

But I don't believe our issue is to do with the fullbacks not overlapping or even underlapping into the opponent's box. I think one of the problems is that when we press high, the opposing goalkeeper has a easy out-ball to the flank which bypasses our high pressure. And the reason for that is due to the lack of aggressive/athletic profiles we have at CB imo. Which means we don't fully commit to the high press as a collective unit because one or both fullbacks at times seem to be instructed to be passive in the press, because otherwise the channel would be compromised due to our lack of pace, power and athleticism at CB. Varane is our best CB in that regard but he misses too many games for my liking and we don't have anyone else who fits that profile.

The reason I think a profile like Todibo makes sense is because he can potentially provide the defensive balance in a team that wants to over-commit in the final third. His defending in the channel is very strong and he's generally very strong at winning ground duels as well as having the ability to progress the ball through the lines. We can still play the same system but the only difference being that Todibo would invert from out wide to form a back 3, when the ball is progressed higher up the pitch.

Todibo is a good fit for the hybrid RCB/RB role and also provides progression in possession. Simikan from Leipzig is another decent player for that hybrid role but he prioritises possession over progression which makes Todibo the more appealing player imo.

Diomande or Antonio Silva for the central centre back role. And if possible, maybe look at Branthwaite, Lukeba and Inacio for the LCB role to rotate with Martinez. Under the Glazer ownership that probably isn't likely in one window. But if the Glazers had any ambition, they'd provide the funds for Todibo in January.

Kingslayer18

I think what you're proposing could also work. And those names you mention are interesting players. Dedic I've been watching since last season and he's a talented young player with a lot of potential but possibly needs another year or two before making a step to a big club imo.

But I don't believe our issue is to do with the fullbacks not overlapping or even underlapping into the opponent's box. I think one of the problems is that when we press high, the opposing goalkeeper has a easy out-ball to the flank which bypasses our high pressure. And the reason for that is due to the lack of aggressive/athletic profiles we have at CB imo. Which means we don't fully commit to the high press as a collective unit because one or both fullbacks at times seem to be instructed to be passive in the press, because otherwise the channel would be compromised due to our lack of pace, power and athleticism at CB. Varane is our best CB in that regard but he misses too many games for my liking and we don't have anyone else who fits that profile.

The reason I think a profile like Todibo makes sense is because he can potentially provide the defensive balance in a team that wants to over-commit in the final third. His defending in the channel is very strong and he's generally very strong at winning ground duels as well as having the ability to progress the ball through the lines. We can still play the same system but the only difference being that Todibo would invert from out wide to form a back 3, when the ball is progressed higher up the pitch.

Todibo is a good fit for the hybrid RCB/RB role and also provides progression in possession. Simikan from Leipzig is another decent player for that hybrid role but he prioritises possession over progression which makes Todibo the more appealing player imo.

Diomande or Antonio Silva for the central centre back role. And if possible, maybe look at Branthwaite, Lukeba and Inacio for the LCB role to rotate with Martinez. Under the Glazer ownership that probably isn't likely in one window. But if the Glazers had any ambition, they'd provide the funds for Todibo in January.

I agree that it may be a bit too early for Dedic to step up to a big club like United, that's why I would prefer Vanderson as the primary solution to our RB position.

You make very good points that our backline is still relatively deep and hence the high press is not as effective as it should be. That in addition to our wide forwards that don't press as much, or sustain it. Todibo has primarily played as a RCB, which makes me worry we wouldn't be able to convice him to come join us, as CB is probably where he sees himself playing and where the opportunities in the French National team are. Todibo has also been on record saying he doesn't want to go anywhere in middle of season, which might interrupt his chances of playing regularly as he doesn't want to make any moves that might disrupt his chance of making the French squad for Euro 2024. He is probably going to be a transfer done in the summer.

I like the look of Branthwaite as a back-up option to Martinez. He has the physicality and good aerial play to compensate for our weaknesses in that area. Lukeba just joined Leipzig, so don't think he's going to come to us anytime soon, while Inacio might be too expensive and fancy himself a better player than a rotation/back up option. We're pretty much hamstrung by FFP, so unless the Glazers sell or Maguire moves for 30m+, I don't see us making any CB acquistions in the January window.

jesperjaap

Was our biggest error not making a big cb signing this summer and cant see that rectified in January.

For me Evans doesnt get an extension, Maguire has to be moved on and even more importantly, so does Lindelof. For me Maguire is a decent cb who has never performed well enough and had long enough here and doesnt suit the side....Lindelof was never the right signing but has never been good enough.

Unless there is a big money offer from Saudis I dont see reason for selling Varane as dont think he brings in enough money and as what he probably should be next season due to his niggles, he could be a very valuable squad player.

But we dont ust have concerns over his inury problems to play enough games, same goes for Martinez now.

I dont think we can afford to make two huge cb signings as regardless of who is the manager, still think we will be in a position of needing 5+ signings (in ideal world a few more).

I think we should:

1) Make one big long term big cb signing for the rcb spot
2) Actually do a similar signing for the squad that we have done with Evans (never thought I wold say that
3) Look to sign a really exciting young attacking lb

As I am not sure Malacia is good enough despite a good initial start for lb to be more than a squad member. I also think Luke Shaw offers us a fantastic option as a LCB if Martinez has injuries or needs resting.

Ive only really seen the big yong names people are mentioning for a game or less each so hardly in a position to judge, from what I have seen though SIlva looks hugely over rated to me initially and Diomande gives me vibes of some of my favourite defenders. Not even seen Tapsoba though

Dannn411

I now think we need 3 CBs over the next 2 windows at least because of the dire state of our CB group. Maguire will be gone soon, Lindelof is shocking and Varane is unfit so often that this will also be his last contract with us.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
De Ligt appears to be out of favor and frustrated at Bayern by many accounts and seems like an obvious signing for us. If he’s available for an affordable fee (up to £60m-£70m or so) then there’s no chance we are going after anyone else.

Idxomer

I like Todibo, he's a bit of a leader too from what I've seen.

I really liked Pavlovic at the World Cup. Not sure if he's actually as good for Salzburg (although their fans seem to love him) but he was great for Serbia. Brute physicality and pace with a real warrior attitude and aerial dominance.