Potential End of Season Fixtures

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Starting from our League Cup Final. I genuinely struggle to see where we are going to fit games if we keep progressing in all competitions.

This list doesn't even include the City game at the Etihad. Reach the semi finals of the FAC and the Southampton and Burnley games would have to be rearranged.

Would make sense for me to reschedule the City game for midweek straight after the final. Otherwise we could genuinely have a clusterfeck of fixtures.

Look at April!

26/03/17: Manchester United v Southampton
04/03/17: Manchester United v Bournemouth
09/03/17: EL Round of 16, first leg
11/03/17: FA Cup 1/4 Final
12/03/17: Manchester United v Southampton
16/03/17: EL Round of 16, second leg
19/03/17: Middlesbrough v Manchester United

INTERNATIONAL BREAK

01/04/17: Manchester United v WBA
05/04/17: Manchester United v Everton
08/04/17: Sunderland v Manchester United
13/04/17: EL Quarter-finals, first leg
15/04/17: Manchester United v Chelsea
20/04/17: EL Quarter-finals, second leg
22/04/17: Burnley v Manchester United
22/04/17: FA Cup Semi Finals
29/04/17: Manchester United v Swansea
04/05/17: EL Semi-finals, first leg
06/05/17: Arsenal v Manchester United
11/05/17: EL Semi-finals, second leg
13/05/17: Spurs v Manchester United
21/05/17: Manchester United v Crystal Palace
24/05/17: EL Final (Friends Arena, Solna)
27/05/17: FA Cup Final

Last edited:

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
City match and if we beat Blackburn, the Southampton away on 12th March, both will happen in May.
Chelsea had a similar crazy congestion in 2012-13. They ended up doing well at end of it. Managed finishing 3rd (although their point total that year may not give even 4th this season) with a good league run late-on. Europa they won and FA cup lost in semis to City. They of course didn't have postponement of league cup final matchweek so that 1 less they had to adjust but their QF in FA cup, vs us, had gone to replay.

They played 6 in March, 9 in April and 6 in May. We are hypothesizing about 1 match longer run in FA cup than them and have league cup final reschedule too though so if we go the distance in each competition, our May will be crazier.

It should be noted though that over course of season, Chelsea ended up playing 69 games(thanks to UEFA super cup and FIFA world cup). The maximum we will be playing this season (assuming no FA cup replays) will be 65. If Blackburn AND FA cup QF go to replay then it will be 67.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We will need to prioritise competitions if we keep advancing in all of them.

NYAS

I said in another thread that if we get to the final of every competition, there are only 3 midweek slots free all season. One of them is the midweek straight after the League Cup final at the end of this month, which won't be utilised because it's too close and too soon to hastily arrange a fixture then. It's already too late, but the FA couldn't have done anything because that's also FA Cup 5th round replay midweek that we still might have to be involved in, so they couldn't arrange the City league game at that time.

The other two midweeks are around the 26th of April and the midweek before the Palace game in May. The City game has to be played in one of those slots, and assuming we progress to the quarter-finals of the cup, the Southampton game will have to be played in the other. If we get to the semi-final, I have no idea how we're going to play Burnley away. There will be no slots free, and we'll probably have to play 4 games in a week to make it up (Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday).

That's all not even taking into accounts possible FA Cup replays, if that happens the FA are fecked.

Wouldn't have it any other way. I just wish the midweek after the League Cup final could have been used for something.

NYAS

By the way, if we beat Blackburn, and then draw the quarter-final and have to replay it, it'll have to be replayed before the 22nd of April. That's basically impossible if we progress in the Europa League.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I hope that the Burnley game is a lunch time kick off and the semi final of the FA Cup is an evening kick off, otherwise we're fecked.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We will need to prioritise competitions if we keep advancing in all of them.
Instead of that we can drop out of competition by playing weakest team rather than prioritising later.

Hopefully we don't do that. We have big enough squad and very few injuries.

Crustanoid

International break could also cock things up for us in terms of games played and injuries to the players involved

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
By the way, if we beat Blackburn, and then draw the quarter-final and have to replay it, it'll have to be replayed before the 22nd of April. That's basically impossible if we progress in the Europa League.
There aren't any quarter final replays anymore. FA scrapped them.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We have a big squad, and can feesibly deploy a whole second team that is pretty decent on paper. For that reason - with a bit of mixing involved - we should be able to remain competitive on all fronts. It just falls on Jose to manage his squad properly.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Instead of that we can drop out of competition by playing weakest team rather than prioritising later.

Hopefully we don't do that. We have big enough squad and very few injuries.
Yeah we could field mostly a second string XI from now in a couple of games. I'd actually rather see us field an entire different XI in the FA Cup and away to St Etienne:

Romero

TFM Rojo Blind Shaw

Fellaini Schweinstiger Carrick/Herrera

Lingard Martial Rashford

^^ something like that. We can really do that for a couple cup games at least.

ti vu

Starting from our League Cup Final. I genuinely struggle to see where we are going to fit games if we keep progressing in all competitions.

This list doesn't even include the City game at the Etihad. Reach the semi finals of the FAC and the Southampton and Burnley games would have to be rearranged.

Would make sense for me to reschedule the City game for midweek straight after the final. Otherwise we could genuinely have a clusterfeck of fixtures.

Look at April!

26/03/17: Manchester United v Southampton
04/03/17: Manchester United v Bournemouth
16/03/17: EL Round of 16, second leg
19/03/17: Middlesbrough v Manchester United

INTERNATIONAL BREAK

01/04/17: WBA v Manchester United
05/04/17: Manchester United v Everton
08/04/17: Sunderland v Manchester United
13/04/17: EL Quarter-finals, first leg
15/04/17: Manchester United v Chelsea
20/04/17: EL Quarter-finals, second leg
22/04/17: Burnley v Manchester United
22/04/17: FA Cup Semi Finals
29/04/17: Manchester United v Swansea
04/05/17: EL Semi-finals, first leg
06/05/17: Arsenal v Manchester United
11/05/17: EL Semi-finals, second leg
13/05/17: Spurs v Manchester United
21/05/17: Manchester United v Crystal Palace
24/05/17: EL Final (Friends Arena, Solna)
27/05/17: FA Cup Final
Shouldn't the bolded one a home game? Pretty sure we beat them away with Zlatan's brace

buckooo1978

only issue I see is the squad size

with Memphis and Schneiderlein away we actually have a small squad

a few injuries and we are in a bit of trouble and you woudn't want to be relying on Rooney or Fellaini for goals or creativity

on the bright side we might see Fosu-Mensah get a few games or sub appearances and Rashford at 9 which I think is well overdue

Trizy

With lucky draws in EL and FA cup we should be able to play a second string team. We've good depth.

Ixion

The most likely scenario is we won't progress to the final of both the FA Cup and Europa League so thing's will likely clear up.

But if we do it's a good thing and we'll deal with it. In 99 we were playing games every few days, including Quarter-final and Semi-final replays.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
I just hope that we'll get luck in draw in EL and FA Cup next rounds.

There're still a lot of "weak" teams that we can beat easily by resting players and rotating the team.

I'd love to play Leicester, Boro, in the next round of FA Cup hopefully and we may have also the luck to play the likes of Genk, Astra, Copenhaguen, Gent, Anderlecht, Schalke, Ajax etc in the next rounds avoiding tricky trips to Bilbao, Roma, Firenze, Besiktas or Spurs

So hopefully we'll get 'easy' draw until semi finals

TakeMeHome

TakeMeHome
I love it to be honest!
I hope we at least get to the semi final of the FA cup. I want another trip to Wembley :)

Neil67

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2021/22
I'm loving it as well but the Wife and wallet ain't to happy with all these games! :lol::lol::lol:

Nickosaur

I understand the concerns about fatigue but ffs I can't get enough of United. Seeing that list of fixtures is :drool:

Revan

Assumptionman
Well have played 67 games if we reach the EL and FA cup final.

I miss champions league but I am enjoying watching us play twice a week :)
There is not much difference between Europa and UCL in the number of matches played. Europa has just 2 extra matches, but you get those 2 qualifiers for UCL if you finish fourth anyway.

The number of matches being this high is because at the same time we reached the final of Carling Cup, while we have a good chance of doing well in FA Cup too. Hoping for no draws in FA Cup, and that we get another canon fodder in the last 16 of Europa. That would allow us a bit easier to manage the schedule.

Luke Parker

Three games in four days, has this ever happened before?

Seems completely insane and can only have a detrimental impact on our performances.

Want to stay in all comps but at the same time don't see how that is possible under the circumstances. Would be an incredible feat by the squad if they succeed.

Surely the FA is going to have to consider extending the season by a couple of weeks to account for this?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Three games in four days, has this ever happened before?

Seems completely insane and can only have a detrimental impact on our performances.

Want to stay in all comps but at the same time don't see how that is possible under the circumstances. Would be an incredible feat by the squad if they succeed.

Surely the FA is going to have to consider extending the season by a couple of weeks to account for this?
If we reach the 1/4 final the game v Southampton would be postponed

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Kind of love it, it's a fan's dream to see the team every few days. Even if we didn't make it to EL and/or FA Cup final, the season ends quite late. Add two matches after the Palace game and we're almost in June. Influences the pre-season a little, would probably mean the players coming back pretty late, too. Is there some stupid Confederations Cup thingy this summer? If so, do we have any players going?

Smores

And Ibra will likely play all of them :lol:

Seriously hopes he rotates Rashford into the mix. i think our squad is largely big enough to deal with it, there's only really Ibra and Pogba that are positions we might struggle with.

zeekey

Luckily we're not traveling to Russia or somewhere next Wednesday and hopefully we'll get a bit of luck in upcoming draws.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Said it before: I think we should play the kids and the fringe players in the FA Cup. The fixture congestion is crazy.

cyberman

We have a big enough squad to rotate though, it's not that bad. With Pogba playing deeper it allows us to rotate him easier with Carrick coming in. That position change opens up more possibilites in that regard since we don't have a replacement for him in a 3.

Last edited: