Potential Matic Replacements

Devil may care

When you guys find it please share x
@Andersons Dietician

Here's the post:

Leaning towards an AMC, let's say David Silva type of MC. Pellegrini will be great together with a hardworking tackler, something I find perfect in an attacking setup with his great key passes, crosses and dribbling. He shouldn't really be compared to a lot of the other players discussed. Just some stats to explain:

Player - Tackles/Interceptions/Clearances/Blocks/Dispossessed/Bad Control (Per game)

Herrera -- 2,5 / 2,1 / 1,3 / 0,4 / 0,4 / 0,6
Neves ---- 2,3 / 2,1 / 1,0 / 0,6 / 0,8 / 0,9
Ndidi ----- 3,2 / 1,9 / 2,2 / 0,2 / 1,0 / 1,7
Lemina --- 2,6 / 2,2 / 1,4 / 0,2 / 1,6 / 1,2
Matic ----- 1,8 / 1,3 / 2,0 / 0,6 / 1,4 / 1,0
Barella --- 3,2 / 1,4 / 0,8 / 0,1 / 2,0 / 3,2
Pellegrini - 1,8 / 0,3 / 1,0 / 0,1 / 1,7 / 1,9

Pellegrini isn't even close to match the defensive stats to the others. Herrera with outstanding numbers.

Player (Goals/Assist) - Shots/Key Passes/Dribbles/Crosses/Long Balls/Through Balls (Per game)

Pellegrini (1/3) - 1,6 / 2,6 / 0,9 / 1,6 / 0,9 / 0,2
Neves (3/2) ---- 2,4 / 0,8 / 0,3 / 0,2 / 6,5 / 0
Barella (1/0) ---- 1,4 / 1,0 / 0,9 / 0,6 / 3,0 / 0,1
Herrera (2/3) --- 0,9 / 0,8 / 0,4 / 0,1 / 1,6 / 0,1
Ndidi (2/0) ------ 1,8 / 0,6 / 0,9 / 0,0 / 2,7 / 0,1
Lemina (0/1) --- 1,2 / 0,5 / 1,1 / 0,2 / 2,2 / 0
Matic (1/0) ------ 0,5 / 0,5 / 0,7 / 0,1 / 4,3 / 0

And here the opposite, the 2,6 Key Passes per game, 1,6 Crosses and 0,2 Through Balls are unmatched. Clearly a player that compliments Herrera/Matic. He would be what Silva is next to Fernandinho, only 11 years younger and obviously not as good (yet).

Neves the standout player when you look at all stats combined, but he also cost 3 times as much as Pellegrini.

Mcking

I'd take Pellegrini for that release clause, then spend on a defensive midfielder.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'd like Declan Rice, I've been impressed with him pretty much every time I've seen him play. What sort of price would West Ham demand though? I swear he signed a new contract recently.

CM

I'd like Declan Rice, I've been impressed with him pretty much every time I've seen him play. What sort of price would West Ham demand though? I swear he signed a new contract recently.
He's contracted for another 5 or 6 years. His value's probably doubled now he's declared for England as well.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's contracted for another 5 or 6 years. His value's probably doubled now he's declared for England as well.
Yikes, don't think he'll be attainable for a reasonable price anytime soon then. We might have to look elsewhere then.

Mcking

If we want to sign him, then I really think we should move fast. The summer is the right time to try before he reaches £100m status.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
They are very different types of players so I personally wouldn't compare them, they offer different things to the team, and you're right that Ndombele is more of a player we'd bring in to compete with Herrera than Matic, I was saying last summer we should have went for him over Fred, but he's not what we need at this juncture as Fred will get at least another season.
I do agree with that we need someone with good passing abilities to finally replace Carrick. I also generally agree with most of your posts and think you're one of the better posters when it comes to duscussing the technical elements of the game.

My first choice for the role would be Rodrigo Hernandez of Atletico Madrid. Not only is he a superb play maker from deep, he is also very mobile. The player may not want to move from Spain, but if there's even a slight chance of it happening, we should try.

Fosu-Mens

My first choice for the role would be Rodrigo Hernandez of Atletico Madrid. Not only is he a superb play maker from deep, he is also very mobile. The player may not want to move from Spain, but if there's even a slight chance of it happening, we should try.
100m euro clause. Atletico activated his clause (20m euro) at Villarreal last summer. The size of the clause was "widely" known at that time.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
he did, so it would likly cos about 80 million, though with so few decent defensive midfielder on that market.... its not worth completely ruling it out

Devil may care

I do agree with that we need someone with good passing abilities to finally replace Carrick. I also generally agree with most of your posts and think you're one of the better posters when it comes to duscussing the technical elements of the game.

Cheers mate, I always enjoy our discussions on these topics. I think after last nights game a few eyes were opened, surely for Ole and the staff as well, not just as regards midfield but how deficient we are on the flanks in terms of both attacking depth and fullback quality.

Rodri would have been an excellent choice, @bucky and @Invictus both wanted him as well and the latter was on about us getting him while he had the low buyout clause at Villareal, now it''s a €100M at Atleti which is a hell of an outlay and we'd have to see if he even wanted to move.

Shaw Mee Tah Mané

Since you guys found the stats interesting I've added Ndombele, Rodrigo and Rice to the list:

Player - Tackles/Interceptions/Clearances/Blocks/Dispossessed/Bad Control (Per game)

Rodrigo --- 3,2 / 1,2 / 2,2 / 0,4 / 0,8 / 0,7
Herrera --- 2,5 / 2,1 / 1,3 / 0,4 / 0,4 / 0,6
Rice ------- 2,6 / 1,6 / 1,8 / 0,4 / 0,7 / 0,7
Neves ----- 2,3 / 2,1 / 1,0 / 0,6 / 0,8 / 0,9
Ndidi ------ 3,2 / 1,9 / 2,2 / 0,2 / 1,0 / 1,7
Lemina ---- 2,6 / 2,2 / 1,4 / 0,2 / 1,6 / 1,2
Matic ------ 1,8 / 1,3 / 2,0 / 0,6 / 1,4 / 1,0
Barella ---- 3,2 / 1,4 / 0,8 / 0,1 / 2,0 / 3,2
Ndombele - 2,0 / 0,6 / 0,2 / 0,3 / 1,8 / 1,5
Pellegrini -- 1,8 / 0,3 / 1,0 / 0,1 / 1,7 / 1,9

Ndombele almost on the level of Pellegrini when it comes to defensive stats. Rodrigo the only one so far to match Herreras numbers, but Rice not far from it.

Player (Goals/Assist) - Shots/Key Passes/Dribbles/Crosses/Long Balls/Through Balls (Per game)

Neves (3/2) ---- 2,4 / 0,8 / 0,3 / 0,2 / 6,5 / 0,0
Ndombele (0/4) - 0,8 / 1,1 / 1,6 / 0,0 / 1,5 / 0,1
Lemina (0/1) --- 1,2 / 0,5 / 1,1 / 0,2 / 2,2 / 0,0
Matic (1/0) ------ 0,5 / 0,5 / 0,7 / 0,1 / 4,3 / 0,0
Rodrigo (2/0) ---- 0,8 / 0,5 / 0,5 / 0,0 / 3,3 / 0,1
Rice (1/0) -------- 0,7 / 0,3 / 0,8 / 0,0 / 3,0 / 0,0

Ndombele contributes better in attack, but not nearly to the extent of Pellegrini/Neves. Rice & Rodrigo naturally at the bottom, as they are pure DM's.

Hammer_st

I really like Daniel Carvalho and I was suprised, that there were no rumours during our Mourinho era. Because he is also Portuguese and played an amazing WC and EC at this time.

Eric's Seagull

I really like Daniel Carvalho and I was suprised, that there were no rumours during our Mourinho era. Because he is also Portuguese and played an amazing WC and EC at this time.
Think you are on about William Carvalho mate? Daniel Carvalho is a 35 year old Brazilian attacking midfielder

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Think you are on about William Carvalho mate? Daniel Carvalho is a 35 year old Brazilian attacking midfielder
Looked like a very interesting talent back in his CSKA Moscow days, to be fair. Surprised he's still active according to Wikipedia, but yeah, I'd give it a miss regarding the replacement of Matic.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Interesting one bud, the only thing with him playing deep is does he have the physic for it, you could see him getting bullied and pressed quite easily, something that might come with a bit of experience and buffing up a little, 433 might suit if he plays to the left of a 3 so the formation we are playing at the moment could suit as he is not in the pocket, has space to run into but like Pogba starting from deep.
He's not much smaller than David Silva, who excels in a deeper midfield position.

You could potentially use Gomes and Pogba as City use David Silva and De Bruyne, although you need a much better defensive midfield player and central defence to do that.

Devil may care

Since you guys found the stats interesting I've added Ndombele, Rodrigo and Rice to the list:

Rodrigo --- 3,2 / 1,2 / 2,2 / 0,4 / 0,8 / 0,7
Herrera --- 2,5 / 2,1 / 1,3 / 0,4 / 0,4 / 0,6
Rice ------- 2,6 / 1,6 / 1,8 / 0,4 / 0,7 / 0,7
Neves ----- 2,3 / 2,1 / 1,0 / 0,6 / 0,8 / 0,9
Ndidi ------ 3,2 / 1,9 / 2,2 / 0,2 / 1,0 / 1,7
Lemina ---- 2,6 / 2,2 / 1,4 / 0,2 / 1,6 / 1,2
Matic ------ 1,8 / 1,3 / 2,0 / 0,6 / 1,4 / 1,0
Barella ---- 3,2 / 1,4 / 0,8 / 0,1 / 2,0 / 3,2
Ndombele - 2,0 / 0,6 / 0,2 / 0,3 / 1,8 / 1,5
Pellegrini -- 1,8 / 0,3 / 1,0 / 0,1 / 1,7 / 1,9

Ndombele almost on the level of Pellegrini when it comes to defensive stats. Rodrigo the only one so far to match Herreras numbers, but Rice not far from it.

Neves (3/2) ---- 2,4 / 0,8 / 0,3 / 0,2 / 6,5 / 0,0
Ndombele (0/4) - 0,8 / 1,1 / 1,6 / 0,0 / 1,5 / 0,1
Lemina (0/1) --- 1,2 / 0,5 / 1,1 / 0,2 / 2,2 / 0,0
Matic (1/0) ------ 0,5 / 0,5 / 0,7 / 0,1 / 4,3 / 0,0
Rodrigo (2/0) ---- 0,8 / 0,5 / 0,5 / 0,0 / 3,3 / 0,1
Rice (1/0) -------- 0,7 / 0,3 / 0,8 / 0,0 / 3,0 / 0,0

Ndombele contributes better in attack, but not nearly to the extent of Pellegrini/Neves. Rice & Rodrigo naturally at the bottom, as they are pure DM's.
Thanks again for the stats mate, Neves really does stack up well against Matic defensively and and exceeds him with thos long balls out from deep, something we can utilize with our pace out wide. One surprising stat is the lack of through balls for both of them and I thought Matic's dribble stats would be higher.

StrettyEnder07

He's not much smaller than David Silva, who excels in a deeper midfield position.

You could potentially use Gomes and Pogba as City use David Silva and De Bruyne, although you need a much better defensive midfield player and central defence to do that.
If we had someone like Fernandinho then 100% agree, just with Gomes and Pogba, both not great defensively, that is a lot of work to get through for Matic at his age with is legs not the best. If we had say a Kante, then 100% play the pair of them, next DMC we buy is a very big signing as it needs to be right.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
If we had someone like Fernandinho then 100% agree, just with Gomes and Pogba, both not great defensively, that is a lot of work to get through for Matic at his age with is legs not the best. If we had say a Kante, then 100% play the pair of them, next DMC we buy is a very big signing as it needs to be right.
Yeah. Sadly whoever you do look to buy is likely to be a target for City too.

Said on another thread that I'd maybe go for Rabiot on a free AND Declan Rice this summer. That way Rabiot, Pogba and Herrera/NEW can play for a few seasons whilst Rice and Gomes find their feet, with plenty of game time off the bench.

But Rabiot there long term with 2 more attacking players ahead of him wouldn't work, as he's not defensive minded enough. Same reason why Ruben Neves wouldn't be the right player for you either (not just saying that because I don't want him to leave Wolves!).

ArjenIsM3

Said on another thread that I'd maybe go for Rabiot on a free AND Declan Rice this summer. That way Rabiot, Pogba and Herrera/NEW can play for a few seasons whilst Rice and Gomes find their feet, with plenty of game time off the bench.

But Rabiot there long term with 2 more attacking players ahead of him wouldn't work, as he's not defensive minded enough. Same reason why Ruben Neves wouldn't be the right player for you either (not just saying that because I don't want him to leave Wolves!).
Except why would Rice prefer sitting on our bench to his current situation?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

I’d be happy with that

ArjenIsM3

He’d get enough game time to continue his growth
Just like Andreas, Fred and McTominay have? The truth is, we don't rotate much in midfield. Not to this point anyway. That could change of course but I imagine he'd want assurances about his playing time. Then there's the cost. He's tied to West Hame for 6 years, he's homegrown and he'd be coming off the back of a great season. He'll be very expensive.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Rabiot or Neves deeper then Ndombele next to Pogba.
Ruben Neves. That is all.
I think Neves needs a ball-winning, more defensive type next to him, probably as does Rabiot. Playing him as the deepest of a 3 man midfield (Fernandinho role) doesn't really suit him.

So he'd be fine as one of the 2 in a 4-2-3-1, providing the other player is a Kante type.

That said, he's still only 21 and from what I've seen of him so far, he will only get better in the next few years so his defensive side might improve to the point where he could fill that role for a very top side.

Maybe that'll be Wolves by that time! ;)

Fracture90

Also I'm kinda unpleasantly surprised with Weigl's lack of development, he looked quite promising 2 years back and he was probably the closest player in tearm of playing style and passing ability to Carrick.

StrettyEnder07

Yeah both good players but I am going to upset you here mate and say Neves would be my choice haha, reminds me of Carrick but maybe scores a few more goals, different kind of player to Fernandinho but he would be my choice, sorry!

sam147

I think Neves needs a ball-winning, more defensive type next to him, probably as does Rabiot. Playing him as the deepest of a 3 man midfield (Fernandinho role) doesn't really suit him.

So he'd be fine as one of the 2 in a 4-2-3-1, providing the other player is a Kante type.

That said, he's still only 21 and from what I've seen of him so far, he will only get better in the next few years so his defensive side might improve to the point where he could fill that role for a very top side.

It depends on our playstyle. The majority of the time teams sit deep. Neves would be great as a DM who can be composed on the ball and switch play. We have Ander Herrera as a RCM next to him who provides energy and grit but I think he has it in him to grow into that role. I don't think big clubs can accomodate workhorse players anymore. Every player needs to be good on the ball. You're very optimistic but I think he will go this summer.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Yeah both good players but I am going to upset you here mate and say Neves would be my choice haha, reminds me of Carrick but maybe scores a few more goals, different kind of player to Fernandinho but he would be my choice, sorry!
No, it's very flattering that we actually have a player in demand!

It depends on our playstyle. The majority of the time teams sit deep. Neves would be great as a DM who can be composed on the ball and switch play. We have Ander Herrera as a RCM next to him who provides energy and grit but I think he has it in him to grow into that role. I don't think big clubs can accomodate workhorse players anymore. Every player needs to be good on the ball. You're very optimistic but I think he will go this summer.
Agree. Getting the blend right is important. For example, on paper, Liverpool's midfield shouldn't be that good, but they get the blend of players spot on.

Maybe he will go this summer, but I don't think that'll be the case. I can see us holding onto him for at least one more season.

2E_MUFC

You might be right but we miss the Carrick type of player and he grew into the defensive role as he went on. Matic is decent on the ball but Neves is quality. He’s one of my favourite players in the premier league. You are lucky to have him. For now :devil:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just like Andreas, Fred and McTominay have? The truth is, we don't rotate much in midfield. Not to this point anyway. That could change of course but I imagine he'd want assurances about his playing time. Then there's the cost. He's tied to West Hame for 6 years, he's homegrown and he'd be coming off the back of a great season. He'll be very expensive.
One of the best young midfielders in the PL. in time could become another carrick type with coaching from, er.. carrick

€50 + Andreas P. Boom!

None of the 3 you mentioned are good enough imho. Matic is 1 year older and Herrera still hasn’t signed a new contract. We may need multiple midfielders come the summer

Fracture90

One of the best young midfielders in the PL. in time could become another carrick type with coaching from, er.. carrick

€50 + Andreas P. Boom!

None of the 3 you mentioned are good enough imho. Matic is 1 year older and Herrera still hasn’t signed a new contract. We may need multiple midfielders come the summer
That wouldn't be a bad deal but only problem is Pereira's contract though.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Despite the sniggering section of media and posters, the caf was spot on about Fabinho. We should have signed him instead of Matic tbh. Proper DM.