Potential Matic Replacements

Devil may care

Matic played half a good season for us and then ran out of steam, it was the same the season before at Chelsea but Kante covered for him. Keep him as a squad player to use in cup games and such? sure, but he should not be a starter anymore, everyone knows how much I dislike Fellaini but right now even he is better and more mobile in the DM role than Matic, he is not a Carrick or Alonso who is going to be a top contributor well into his 30's.

Hoepfully by the time this call is made next summer Mourinho wont be here and then we'll need to see who the manager is and how he wants to set the midfield up, but as a straight replacement Neves for me is head and shoulders above every other option, he has good defensive positioning and he's strong in the tackle while also being better on the ball than Matic, the new Xabi Alonso IMO.

I don't like Pereira as a #6, to me he's more of a Modric type and if say Zidane came in then him and Pogba ahead of a pure DM beast like Casemiro or Fernandinho could work a treat.

We got the perfect guy on vacation in Milan. Another 40m should do the trick.
Who?

Snafu17

Does he look like he's finished? I mean he's not in great form granted, but no one else is either and it feels like writing off a 30 year old midfielder, after we saw Carrick, who was quite similar to Matič, enter his prime in his thirties after a slump in his late twenties, is a bit silly. All players are different obviously, but this thread seems a bit premature.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
It's decisions like these which really affect Mourinho's results and ability to progress after a couple of seasons. Needs to stop showing loyalty to old heads like Matic and Valencia.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'd be up for Neves. No doubt we'll hang on though, until it's been obvious for years that we need a replacement, then complain there's no one available.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Herrera, Pereira and Fred (from what we’ve seen so far) are nowhere near good enough to replace Matic. I’m assuming most of you watch the games we play, so I’ve no idea how you’ve come to the conclusion we’d be better off with them. Matic’s anticipation, awareness and defensive positioning are incredible. He’s off form so far playing his way back in from surgery but he’s much better on the ball than he’s given credit for.

Johan07

Matic is still a very good player when we are playing a low block; classic Mourinho style. I dont see many players in Europe thats better than him in that kind of system.
However, as soon we are trying to play a little more expansive football; as we have tried a couple of games this year and even more been forced to in others; he is severely found out. He is just not mobile enough to offer any protection to the counter if we are countered when playing higher up the pitch.
The problem with this is if Mourinho goes; and we decide to play with a higher line and press; its not only Matic that has to go/transit to a squad player or even CB. We need to replace Lukaku as well, who also is a good player but not fit to play a high pressing game. Or fit is the wrong word, like Zlatan in Barca he is to big and explosive to be able to play No9 in that type of system.
We would of course also need a new CB or two.
To change system we pretty much need a new central line, but as long as Mourinho stays its hard to upgrade on Matic to be honest.

Reactions: Theonas

deafepl

Neres and De Jong or any other new DM players only consider if Periera can't play so well in the position. I think It's our way to develop players of our own rather than becoming like Chelsea and City who prefer buying over the academy players.

I think Periera has the potential to be one of the best DLP in the world of his generation, he has high accuracy pass rate of 92% and quickest passer than all midfielder in the league.

davidmichael

Here’s an idea, let’s use what we’ve got seeing as we’ve got Pereira and Herrera who can both play that role ? Pereira was probably our best player in pre season and just got kicked aside once Matic was fit, much like Lukaku it seems Matic is undroppable regardless of form when maybe a good run on the sidelines might motivate Matic (and Lukaku) to pick up their game.

sam147

Atletico have Rodrigo who is absolute class. I mean he has the physical presence and more forward playing ability in one leg than Matic does. I think we need a more mobile DM. Ndombele looks great. Someone to drop deep pick up the ball and pass and mobility/stamina to cover the RB/LB position.

Pughnichi

Oooh an upgrade on Matic....

How about a wooden chair?

It would certainly be more mobile and probably play more forward passes

CM

We should be grooming Andreas Pereira at the moment and keeping a close eye on Frenkie de Jong at Ajax.

Zlatattack

Currently we have Herrera who can play that role. Periera has played there for us, but I'd rather he be competition for the 8 role. I'm not sure he's that clued up defensively.

Wiegl or Neves would be great IF we're not keeping Herrera. I'd rather have one of those two and have Matic come on as a sub or used for specific games.

His current form is due to tiredness I reckon.

binary bot
Pereira had a bad game recently. He won't be seen again until we've had the cycle of every other player being shit that he gets another chance. I assume Herrera is the same, waiting for his 3 or 4 game cameo before letting a player run off him in a game whilst he's at right back and being dropped. Don't think we'll see McTominay for a few games. But Matic will definitely play

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I wouldn't write him off yet.
He was gone when he was at Chelsea to be fair.

He had a semi revival and good season for us last year and is still a useful player to have, but even during last season at times I would say it was clear his lack of mobility was a problem.

Although, I'd presumed we'd signed Fred so that along with Herrera and maybe Pereira we could have someone with more mobilitiy alongside Matic in our midfield. Instead we seem intent on doing the opposite.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Pereira had a bad game recently. He won't be seen again until we've had the cycle of every other player being shit that he gets another chance. I assume Herrera is the same, waiting for his 3 or 4 game cameo before letting a player run off him in a game whilst he's at right back and being dropped. Don't think we'll see McTominay for a few games. But Matic will definitely play
Fred had a good game against Wolves and has since been banished anyway. While Pereira came on in the same game and also did well.

It isn't really making much sense. I get that the two of them are new to the league, but when you're playing Matic AND Fellaini or McTominay, or even all three of them together, you can't afford to be leaving players out who are more mobile and probably have more quality on the ball.

RedCurry

There isn’t much to replace there. The guy was done before joining us. I honestly love his personality type and I wouldn’t mind him at the club to be a rotation player especially because he’s rarely ever injured and that’s vital. For the rest of the season though we already have a better player in Herrera to be his replacement.

binary bot
Fred had a good game against Wolves and has since been banished anyway. While Pereira came on in the same game and also did well.

It isn't really making much sense. I get that the two of them are new to the league, but when you're playing Matic AND Fellaini or McTominay, or even all three of them together, you can't afford to be leaving players out who are more mobile and probably have more quality on the ball.
Its the random rotation of players at Manchester United. A manager that usually has a predictable 11 joins and suddenly starts picking his teams from a hat. We have a former winger that now plays either fullback position depending on who knows what? Matic/McTominay at CB. Herrera at right back. Where do we go next? Who can we play out of position?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Stupid signing in the first place

Charlie Foley

I saw him play in 2013 for Benfica and thought he was everything we needed in midfield and more. Pity we didn't go for him in the great Moyes midfielder hunt, not that we'd get him

SpyLuke10

I think its maybe a bit too soon to say Matic is cooked. He has been terrible this season but I don't agree that he fell off a cliff after the midpoint of last season. He has fallen off a cliff since the world cup.

However a lot of the team has, and Matic did have an injury in the world cup which required surgery and he did somewhat rush back to start playing for our team again. So, there is a good chance that he just needs a proper rest (like a few players, eg. Lukaku) and then he'll be good as new!

I still think he was a very good signing - he improved our team significantly last season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's been a worry for a while. I suppose we should have expected this happening to an ageing midfielder. Chelsea fans had the same issue with him - slow, ponderous, cumbersome. I think he's still got a good few years to offer but if it's not as a starting CM/DM, you have to wonder about our planning.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Fred is a strange one. He's looked raw but talented. But he also cost 50 bloody million so there are certain expectations. On one hand, I don't know why we didn't sign a metronomic midfielder whose control and passing can always be relied on, instead of so many all rounders, and on the other hand, I don't think Fred has been that bad really to be given the Lindelof/Mkhitarian treatment.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I agree, when he's fit he needs to comeback into that DM role.
I absolutely hate Herrara as a DM. He's a headless chicken who chases the ball and never holds his position. I like him better as a box to box guy. Let him use his energy to bust up plays, but have someone else behind him to protect the centre halves. For me, he doesn't have the positional discipline to be a holding/defensive midfielder. I just wish Carrcik was 25 again. Such an under rated player in our midfield...

settembrini

Herrera was a much better DM than Matic. He seems to be struggling with injuries though nowadays.

Based on this season our first choice DM should be Fellaini. Not a fan of the player but he has been better than Matic when played in that position.

As for Matic I would try him at centre back asap. Try and recreate that Smalling and Blind partnership with a player more to Mourinho's liking (big and strong).

villain

Hates Beyoncé
He can still be useful, the problem is Mourinho insists on playing him for 90mins in every game, and it's clear that his minutes need to be managed much like we did with Scholes, Giggs & Carrick.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Herrera, Pereira and Fred (from what we’ve seen so far) are nowhere near good enough to replace Matic. I’m assuming most of you watch the games we play, so I’ve no idea how you’ve come to the conclusion we’d be better off with them. Matic’s anticipation, awareness and defensive positioning are incredible. He’s off form so far playing his way back in from surgery but he’s much better on the ball than he’s given credit for.
Fred and Pereira certainly have time on their side to develop, but I agree with the rest. Matic's only real issue is that he's slow and getting slower. His technique, vision and positioning are top class. His iffy form of late has clouded a lot of peoples judgement into believing he is a total clogger, which is wide of the mark.

Hopefully he improves as he gets fitter again, but he still has a great deal to offer us. But he needs to be managed as well. I know Jose likes him because he'd gladly run off a cliff for him, but he probably needs to start giving him some time to recover to manage this stage of his career wisely.

I would like to try Pereira as a 6 again though. It's a completely different task to what Matic does, more like a Scholes role, with Fred doing the Darren Fletcher role of pressing, winning the ball and getting up the pitch. It wouldn't suit every game, but in home games where we need to attack and dominate, it could work if they can be as good as we hope they'll be.

Smores

We don't need like for like, i'd prefer a proper destroyer and let Fred carry the ball and Pogba to control midfield further up.

He's been a good signing in my book he's just in bad form right now.

TheRedHearted

Players with peak Matić's characteristics are quite rare — titanic proportions, decent ability on the ball, good reading of the game, a bit of attacking mobility from deep — and the best replacement joined Atlético in the summer (Rodri). Though we didn't really get peak Matić for an extended period of time, so there's that. You have to consider any incumbent manager's general midfield plan as well — if say Zidane joins United and puts a possession oriented 8 ahead of the 6, you'll be better off targeting a defensive midfielder who can operate as a water carrier and a terrier (think Casemiro and how important he was in Madrid'd structure), as opposed to Rúben Neves (who's more of a holder and playmaker). Someone who is combative and committed, but also tactically intelligent and can routinely break up opposition moves in front of the defense, like maybe Ascacíbar (diminutive, but kinda comparable to Mascherano in terms of characteristics)...
Yes please.
And until then, I like McTominay for it. I think he’s confident and able to learn. Those type of players are very valuable.
The lad you posted is the type of player who makes sure the other team doesn’t score and makes everyone better. I speak because it’s the role I play when I play CB

Murray3007

Neves without a doubt, should have been signed in the summer instead of Fred. he will end up a superstar for me hopefully its here.

Ekeke

Neves could certainly be our Jorginho but do keep in mind that right now he's playing next to a player who is making more tackles than he does in Moutinho.

Not that we couldn't do the same thing by playing Ander with him. But just to mention that at Wolves he gets a lot of help defensively from his partner. Far more than the midfielders we've been picking this season would help him