Potential striker signings (who aren't named Højlund)

dinostar77

Who do you think that sole striker would be
I dint know. Its difficult this summer as Chelsea, PSG, Madrid, Bayern all need a no9.

Also with Saudi clubs also hoovering up players, it makes it more difficult.

Who would you want?

croadyman

I dint know. Its difficult this summer as Chelsea, PSG, Madrid, Bayern all need a no9.

Also with Saudi clubs also hoovering up players, it makes it more difficult.

Who would you want?
Well you either go something like this Taremi and Hojlund or adopt a more different approach in Kolo-Muani and free agent like Thuram/Dembele.

dinostar77

Well you either go something like this Taremi and Hojlund or adopt a more different approach in Kolo-Muani and free agent like Thuram/Dembele.
I dont think you can discount Greenwood. He's just too good a finisher. He will eventually become a no9. Ideally we get kane next summer so greenwood can learn from him. That might save utd having to buy 2 x strikers this summer.

As for this summer; i havent seen marcus thuram play but according to reports milan and PSG are in the late stages for getting his signature.

Dembele is another i havent seen play for awhile. I know hes 3 in 23 this season which is awful. But seqson previous he was 21 in 30. On a free? He's 27 and has experience of CL and playing in scotland. So why not?

Hojlund /taremi are both gambles. Munai is kane money.

Its difficult isnt it? I dont envy the club, but also they should have had a striker signed and sealed before the end of the season. Hopefully that will change under new owners and we wont move at the pace of a snail.

The-Mezzala

Mitrovic
Vlahović
Gerrard Moreno
Watkins
Potential alternatives to Kane

Last edited:

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
If we are looking at an established striker and a young prospect, and we assume we can’t get Kane and that we will be priced out of signing Osimhen, I’d go get Ivan Toney and rely on Rashford/Hojlund (assuming he is the youngster) until the new year.

I’ve heard players like Watkins or Abraham mentioned but they don’t cut the mustard for me, not good enough. Ramos, RKM and the likes will be too much for what they offer (only really potential) and we can’t keep stop gapping the 9 position with big name has beens.

dinostar77

If we are looking at an established striker and a young prospect, and we assume we can’t get Kane and that we will be priced out of signing Osimhen, I’d go get Ivan Toney and rely on Rashford/Hojlund (assuming he is the youngster) until the new year.

I’ve heard players like Watkins or Abraham mentioned but they don’t cut the mustard for me, not good enough. Ramos, RKM and the likes will be too much for what they offer (only really potential) and we can’t keep stop gapping the 9 position with big name has beens.
Toney is banned till january 2024

doomy20

Why not splash 120 on Gonzalo Ramos? Still more sane than 70 for Mount.

RU Devil

Anyone know if MG is going to be involved with the tour? With the expected budgetary constraints, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities to see him considered for inclusion sooner rather than later. Add Thuram for cover, then Toney and maybe Kane later in the season. Quite possible to not spend big this window for a striker, considering the valuations.

Robaldo

Anyone know if MG is going to be involved with the tour? With the expected budgetary constraints, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities to see him considered for inclusion sooner rather than later. Add Thuram for cover, then Toney and maybe Kane later in the season. Quite possible to not spend big this window for a striker, considering the valuations.
Regardless of the moral considerations, the idea that he would come back the same player that he was when he's not played for 18 months and will no doubt have suffered mentally in that time, is absurd.

lsd

The Oracle
I saw a report linking us to Ollie Watkins and wasn't that annoyed thinking well he's probably 21.

Found out he will be 28 in December.

i can see why this time of the year is called silly season.

We will be linked with James Miller soon

Baxquux

After Kane it doesn't seem like we have a sure alternative. Reports have just been throwing different names so far
This would be a very 'special' kind of strategy- who goes into a window counting on Daniel Levy to act reasonably.

Hojlund is obviously of 'interest' though, it just depends how smart the club is with negotiating, and how much flexibility it has to do so under present circumstances. Failing that, there are a bunch of fairly consistent scorers in 'lesser' leagues but ETH has to decide how much weight he place son those goals, if he's looking for a so-called 'guarantee' - and also how much they offer in general play.

Someone like Ferguson isn't going for much under Kane money this summer, Sesko has just moved, so... Hojlund for a low-md base and significant add-ons, plus a final year contract 29/30ish striker who can slot in quickly, score, has pace and some physical presence and is Ok with becoming a back-up next season in exchange for the wages and CL, is probably the way we need to go.

NLunited

Would get whitewashed at pretty much every other club, lets be frank. Top-level sport requires a certain degree of 'neurodivergency' - obsessive practice to obsessive focus during the game, unnatural coolness under pressure along with spurts of aggression - bordering on controlled sociopathy (and then you inject huge amounts of fame and relative social power on top of that), so it's unsurprising that sometimes you're going to have these kinds of incidents. They just get swept under the carpet by PR teams, or aren't (reasonably ofc) deemed as distasteful in quite the same way. I'd rather sign a 'normal' family guy who just happens to have an obsessive focus on improvement - and deploys gamesmanship - like Kane, quite aside from the talent, but you'll find a lot of weird things if you start digging into players private lives.
This is a bit of bs. All these factors don‘t excuse bad behaviour. Many of the greatest players don‘t show any of these characteristics.

Bojan Djordjic

I dont think you can discount Greenwood. He's just too good a finisher. He will eventually become a no9. Ideally we get kane next summer so greenwood can learn from him. That might save utd having to buy 2 x strikers this summer.

As for this summer; i havent seen marcus thuram play but according to reports milan and PSG are in the late stages for getting his signature.

Dembele is another i havent seen play for awhile. I know hes 3 in 23 this season which is awful. But seqson previous he was 21 in 30. On a free? He's 27 and has experience of CL and playing in scotland. So why not?

Hojlund /taremi are both gambles. Munai is kane money.

Its difficult isnt it? I dont envy the club, but also they should have had a striker signed and sealed before the end of the season. Hopefully that will change under new owners and we wont move at the pace of a snail.
The Saudi clubs are doing what China did a few years ago and offering big clubs a chance to cleanse their squads of aging players and misfits by being able to match Premier league wages and provide potential solutions for the Martials and Maguires of the world. I really hope we take advantage of this and sell that scumbag Greenwood off. Never want to see him play for the club again regardless of his ability which I think people completely over-rate anwyay.

Red Royal

With the absolute lack of realistic #9 strikers available (and those that have had 1 good season being priced at £100M) perhaps we need to change our style. Play with a false #9 - a Bruno type player. There must be more of them available??

dinostar77

The Saudi clubs are doing what China did a few years ago and offering big clubs a chance to cleanse their squads of aging players and misfits by being able to match Premier league wages and provide potential solutions for the Martials and Maguires of the world. I really hope we take advantage of this and sell that scumbag Greenwood off. Never want to see him play for the club again regardless of his ability which I think people completely over-rate anwyay.
Well we can agree to disagree on greenwood.

But it would be nice if the club could flog deadwood to saudi league.

Mr Smith

Why not splash 120 on Gonzalo Ramos? Still more sane than 70 for Mount.
It's really not when you can get Oshimen for 10-20 mil more, and Kane for free in 12 months.

We really just have to accept that the striker(s) we want aren't available this summer. We're better served using Rashford and signing someone like Thuram on a free until January, by which time Toney is available and/or Spurs might realise they're about to lose Kane for nothing and get desperate. Trying to force it will only see us wasting more money.

L1nk

If we aren't careful and quick we'll be left with less and less options, we aren't the only team looking at strikers

croadyman

It's really not when you can get Oshimen for 10-20 mil more, and Kane for free in 12 months.

We really just have to accept that the striker(s) we want aren't available this summer. We're better served using Rashford and signing someone like Thuram on a free until January, by which time Toney is available and/or Spurs might realise they're about to lose Kane for nothing and get desperate. Trying to force it will only see us wasting more money.
They would be IF Erik was prepared to look for a midfielder with Mount's profile but cheaper

croadyman

I saw a report linking us to Ollie Watkins and wasn't that annoyed thinking well he's probably 21.

What if we bought him & Taremi with Rashford contributing goals as well

NoPace

I wonder if we could loan in Vlahovic for a year with a view to signing Kane on a free. A giant loan fee like for Joao Felix and his salary covered might be a better offer than Juve receive for a full transfer, and they have Kean and Milik upfront for next year.

Ten Hag gets his goalscorer and we don't get into long-term financial trouble.

croadyman

I wonder if we could loan in Vlahovic for a year with a view to signing Kane on a free. A giant loan fee like for Joao Felix and his salary covered might be a better offer than Juve receive for a full transfer, and they have Kean and Milik upfront for next year.

Ten Hag gets his goalscorer and we don't get into long-term financial trouble.
Does Vlahovic score enough though

croadyman

Taremi and prospect should be way forward,that way it allows us enough to get Onana/Costa which would be significant upgrades

Red00012

How did you come to the conclusion he was only 21 :lol:

NoPace

This summer it'll be Pickford, Koch, Mount and Watkins.
This is an upsetting list but a split second after wincing my brain immediately went "Ferguson could win the league with that summer and our existing group."