Potential striker targets for the summer

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Martial is nailed on for that left wide position, he's proved himself a lot more on the left than he has up front for me.
Agreed.
He is playing so well as LW, why on Earth would you mess with this and put him as a striker. Madness!
Leave Martial to play in the position where he is playing really well in.

I do think though, that a mobile striker, who is lighter on his feet would be great for us. Someone who has a good work rate and keep defenders occupied. Someone of same ilk as Chicharito.

Greenwood.
The MUFC Youth player? Isn't he 17 years old or something?
That would be reckless to put a boy so young into the first team.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We need a killer up front up like Mourinho put it when he was at Chelsea. Lukaku and Rashford will never be of the required standard imo.

Suv666

Go all out for Harry Kane (Yeah more chance of landing Neymar I know!)
Alacer, Icardi and Ciro Immobile would be decent choices. Btw whatever happened to Belloti? Wasn't he supposed to be the next big thing?

iHicksy

We already have a good No.9 in Sanchez. He showed it in pres-season. His finishing is very good, it's just now his pace has gone a bit that he's no longer suited to being out wide. What we need is a real right sided player.

dablem_10

Great post, as always.

That list did remind me of Duda though. My Slovakian pal I play football with was banging on about him this season. I remember him being hyped when at Legia, had some injury problems, but looks to be behind him. He could take matas role today and be more of a goal threat. I’m not sure we necessarily need a true no 9, just more of a goal threat from all 3 forwards.
As slovakian im happy Duda is on form after so long time. He is definitelly interesting player, but dont think he is united level. And hes very often injuried, not to mention he is liverpool fan :D

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We need a modern striker, one that is fairly good at everything.
Costa when he arrived at Chelsea from Atletico is the type of striker we should be looking for. He had a bit of everything and was a handful for opposing defenders..

Adnan

Talent Spotter
As slovakian im happy Duda is on form after so long time. He is definitelly interesting player, but dont think he is united level. And hes very often injuried, not to mention he is liverpool fan :D
Solkjaer was a Liverpool fan too

Fosu-Mens

Costa when he arrived at Chelsea from Atletico is the type of striker we should be looking for. He had a bit of everything and was a handful for opposing defenders..
I would not classify Costa as being a "balanced" striker. Im thinking more in the lines of Firminho, Lewa, Suarez...
Diego Costa is not a good passer, finisher or good enough technical to be called a modern striker, but he sure is a handfull for the centre backs. Lukaku could learn a thing or 10 from him.

EyeInTheSky

Agree. But he is unique in that sense and is out there on his own in that context. Can you think of anyone out there as tenacious and that has similar traits at a comparable level?

Maybe slightly different targets.What about Mertens or Belotti from Serie A as main guys or Dzeko as competition?

Walters_19_MuFc

We already have a good No.9 in Sanchez. He showed it in pres-season. His finishing is very good, it's just now his pace has gone a bit that he's no longer suited to being out wide. What we need is a real right sided player.
I agree 100%. All action striker. He can drop, link play, dribble, has good vision, good shot. Really desperate to see him there, because as you said, he was really good there in pre season.

Left wing - Martial, Rashford
Centre forward - Sanchez, Lukaku
Right wing - Mata, Lingard

If anything, our right wing is much more of a priority than striker for now.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Agree. But he is unique in that sense and is out there on his own in that context. Can you think of anyone out there as tenacious and that has similar traits at a comparable level?

Maybe slightly different targets.What about Mertens or Belotti from Serie A as main guys or Dzeko as competition?
I would have Dzeko as back up to Alexis as the CF and that would be good enough for the foreseable future until Greenwood is ready to stake his claim.

AaronRedDevil

Can't believe how hard it it to find a striker that's great with the ball at his feet and not afraid to take on defenders. Strikers that can create a goal by themselves and out of nothing.

I'd give Sanchez a chance to play up top before bringing anyone in
This with bells on.

Just 2 seasons ago playing as a forward he scored 24 and assisted 10. We have the solution already. Lukaku then becomes competition and no-one is a guaranteed starter unless they are performing.

We can then concrete funds on RW and CB.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Can't believe how hard it it to find a striker that's great with the ball at his feet and not afraid to take on defenders. Strikers that can create a goal by themselves and out of nothing.
Alexis Sanchez you mean?

redpatron

we have zero chance at a top striker when real and chelsea are looking for one too and our team is a dumpster fire. Maybe the club can overpay for benzema and give him top wages if Zidane comes over.

Our best move is move to alexis there temporarily and go after a rw like we should have.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This with bells on.

Just 2 seasons ago playing as a forward he scored 24 and assisted 10. We have the solution already. Lukaku then becomes competition and no-one is a guaranteed starter unless they are performing.

We can then concrete funds on RW and CB.
Sanchez needs to be given a run as a striker and I believe it will be of huge benefit to us.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Im not convinced about Samchez ar CF tbh

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Fair enough, thanks for the input! I've only seen snippets of him, but looks quite good. I'll look out for him a bit more.

Zlatattack

This season i'd like to see us give Rashford a run and if that doesn't work, give Sanchez a try.

In the summer though ... agree with these guys.

Is Timo Werner any good?
If we need someone with decent movement up front, then Timo Werner is a pretty good option. This season he's been playing some games at LW but he's basically a CF with a decent goalscoring record.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Not that it really matters but Werner is a United fan so we'd probably be able to coerce him to join us with or without Mourinho. Leipzig on the other hand would be a bit more difficult. If we are in a situation in which we're selling Lukaku though money won't be any issue at all, Lukaku is still worth at least £50 million.

Edit: Romelu is probably worth a minimum of even more than that considering that's what Richarlison cost...

Adnan

Talent Spotter
To be fair, all of us would need to see him playing that position in this team to be convinced.
You could say that about any player we bring in to be fair. Sanchez has delivered goals galore on a consistent basis playing for a Arsenal team that had been stuttering in the league. History shows us that he will deliver as the main man and would be creative too. Would make us more fluid going forward..

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Memphis Depay :wenger:

I'd go all out for Icardi honestly. Surely you can convince him to leave Inter.

You could say that about any player we bring in to be fair. Sanchez has delivered goals galore on a consistent basis playing for a Arsenal team that had been stuttering in the league. History shows us that he will deliver as the main man and would be creative too. Would make us more fluid going forward..
Absolutely but a Mourinho side typically has a big fella up top, that's why there would be more of a question mark regarding Sanchez. Personally I think Sanchez up top with the in-form Martial, Pogba and Mata could be something really really special.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Absolutely but a Mourinho side typically has a big fella up top, that's why there would be more of a question mark regarding Sanchez. Personally I think Sanchez up top with the in-form Martial, Pogba and Mata could be something really really special.
I have the same fear regarding Mourinho and having a big man up front.

Cassidy

Why are you not convinced?
Hasnt played there a lot, yes he looked ok in pre season, but so did Greenwood. Playing as a wide forward and playing CF on a Jose system is completely different.

Plus some of the things wrong with his game this season (misplaced passes and constantly losing the ball) isnt going to be good for our build up if hes playing as a CF

We need a modern striker, one that is fairly good at everything.
Whats this even mean ?
There's been all-round forwards in the past and there's always going to be all-rounds players after.

Hearing/reading this modern talk alot recently here. 'Oh,Jose needs to add a modern approach' basically you're saying Jose needs to be more offensive which inst exactly 'modern' at-all.

If you go back to watching United vs Benfica in the European cup final there's not exactly a great deal difference between the playing styles of then and the playing styles of today.
The levels of dedication in fitness is the only huge noticeable element.

Not having a go at you :)but I just see this soooo much round here and it's bloody odd argument starting point.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Hasnt played there a lot, yes he looked ok in pre season, but so did Greenwood. Playing as a wide forward and playing CF on a Jose system is completely different.

Plus some of the things wrong with his game this season (misplaced passes and constantly losing the ball) isnt going to be good for our build up if hes playing as a CF
You do know that Sanchez lost the ball alot for Arsenal too? But he still put up very impressive numbers for Arsenal. I'm sure Mourinho and our coaches will have been well aware of how many times he lost the ball before they agreed to sign him from under Peps nose.

Mourinho needs to be a bit more flexible with his system or Lukaku will be the end of him like Rooney was to LVG.

Silas

Don't want us splashing huge amounts unless it's a genuine star (which there aren't many of). Let's persist with Martial or Sanchez and see where we go from there first.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Really feel it was meant to be Greizmann. Lukaku with Greizmann behind him, with Martial & Rashford competing for the left forward role. When that fell apart, we went for Sanchez... but right now I think we could do worse than Messi.
It was meant to be Griezmann and Rashford. Rashford as the 9 with Griezmann in the 10 or the RW. When Griezmann fell through though the backup answer was an out and out CF (enter Lukaku)

Murray3007

Would personally go with Sanchez and Rashford till the end of the season, if none clicks go all out for Kane, if you don't try you will never no. would even look at Callum Wilson from Bournmouth hes been brilliant the 4/5 times I have seen him this season.

Cassidy

You do know that Sanchez lost the ball alot for Arsenal too? But he still put up very impressive numbers for Arsenal. I'm sure Mourinho and our coaches will have been well aware of how many times he lost the ball before they agreed to sign him from under Peps nose.

Mourinho needs to be a bit more flexible with his system or Lukaku will be the end of him like Rooney was to LVG.
Yes and he never played as the CF, not for any extended period of time at all. He mainly always played from the wide areas with a CF occupying the CBs. He had a very brief spell playing at the start of one season as a CF, and even then he didn't play in a Jose type system which is real CF, he played as a false 9.

Also we're not Arsenal our build up is heavily reliant on a CF who isn't going to keep giving the ball away. It would make sense if we didn't have a manager who relied on traditional CF play.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yes and he never played as the CF, not for any extended period of time at all. He mainly always played from the wide areas with a CF occupying the CBs. He had a very brief spell playing at the start of one season as a CF, and even then he didn't play in a Jose type system which is real CF, he played as a false 9.

Also we're not Arsenal our build up is heavily reliant on a CF who isn't going to keep giving the ball away.
The false 9 is what Mourinho needs to utilise too and pretty quick or else Livepool and City will be long gone from view and Mourinho will be handed his marching orders.

Canagel

We need to go in the direction of a false 9. Insigne, Dybala have been mentioned. Sanchez is also a false 9 and can do the job well. We don't necessarily need an out and out number 9. We already have Martial locking down one spot, we just need two players to complete a front 3 with pace, trickery, movement and each player having the capability of scoring 15+ goals. Something like what Liverpool have now.
Try Sanchez as the false 9. He scored 24 PL goals there for Arsenal. And then if it works go all out and buy a world class RW to complete our front line.

Cassidy

The false 9 is what Mourinho needs to utilise too and pretty quick or else Livepool and City will be long gone from view and Mourinho will be handed his marching orders.
I don't disagree, but we know he won't.