Pre-Match Press Conference | Villarreal v Manchester United | UEFA Champions League

Idxomer

Thought Carrick did well for the most part but didn't like his assessment of the Europa final. We did not play well that game.

Maguire was as dull and uninspiring as expected.
It does explain the mentality of Ole and the coaching staff.

The biggest praise he could give after saying we played very well is that we stopped them from playing for long periods. This is Manchester United, not Burnley. Reactive football against inferior teams shouldn't be acceptable at this club.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
It does explain the mentality of Ole and the coaching staff.

The biggest praise he could give after saying we played very well is that we stopped them from playing for long periods. This is Manchester United, not Burnley. Reactive football against inferior teams shouldn't be acceptable at this club.
Are you implying we played reactive football in the EL final? They parked the bus and we created diddly squat.

USREDEVIL

Same coaching same results. We're not out of this until Carrick and his merry men are not "coaching" the team. You heard it from the horse's mouth, when asked how things will change since it's the same coaching he basically said it won't. Said he has his own "personality" but who knows what that means if anything.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
They literally say at the start of the press conference we will start with Harry as he has to go and give other interviews :lol:
My bad . Missed that part. Still wouldn't have cost anything if he arrived 5 minutes later for the other Interviews. Perception of solidarity and all that.

Jacob

Pressers are too politically correct these days. I can practically predict all responses to any question - what's the point?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
To be fair, Carrick is being launched in at the deep end here. I almost feel for him. Never struck me as they kind of guy that would go on to be a manager and here he is scrambling to take control of one of the biggest clubs in the world at a low point.
They must’ve at least asked him. Surely Phelan was the obvious choice.

always_hoping

Michael Carrick sound like he's at Solskjaer funeral. As for Maguire "we had great respect for Ole" a bit cheap coming from a lad that has chosen to play like a poor pub player this year gifting a number of goals to the opposition. He's no captain and who thought it was a a good idea to be part of this press conference?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Michael Carrick sound like he's at Solskjaer funeral. As for Maguire "we had great respect for Ole" a bit cheap coming from a lad that has chosen to play like a poor pub player this year gifting a number of goals to the opposition. He's no captain and who thought it was a a good idea to be part of this press conference?
Piss off.

Skills

Snitch
That's got to be 2 or the most boring people ever to do a press conference

MasterOfMuppets

The only reason to include Harry in the presser today must be strategic to make Carrick look not so out of his depth.

youngrell

They must’ve at least asked him. Surely Phelan was the obvious choice.
Yeah it's an interesting one. Phelan is the one with managerial experience and was the AM, while it always looked like McKenna was the one dishing out tactics on the bench. It seemed that Carrick was the least involved on match days yet he's the one to have stepped forward.

youngrell

That's my problem with Ole and now Carrick. When I listen them it is all hot air, cliché and no footballing intelligence. You can't figure out what imprint he would have on his team.

May be have to endure few more matches before a real manager walks in... hopefully.
I'm not sure how you're supposed to figure out what his imprint is going to be from the type of questions asked? What do you want him to do, give answers to questions that weren't put to him?

pre Munich Red

Maguire, Keano has your measure along with your little pal Shaw.
As for Carrick/Phelan/McKenna etc - is it the cash situation that has stalled their sacking or just until the next three matches are done?

pre Munich Red

Journalists being spineless as usual.

Should have said this.

So Michael, you've been coaching the team this season on the training pitch, clearly they have looked pathetic for the majority of the season, do you really think you are good enough to stay in this position and is it not laughable, that you and the rest of the coaches are staying on and please explain, how Phil Jones is still a United player.
Spot on!

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Journalists being spineless as usual.

Should have said this.

So Michael, you've been coaching the team this season on the training pitch, clearly they have looked pathetic for the majority of the season, do you really think you are good enough to stay in this position and is it not laughable, that you and the rest of the coaches are staying on and please explain, how Phil Jones is still a United player.
Why do United fans want the press to put extra pressure on the club and the guy managing us? Weirdos.

I'd like the press to build his confidence, say they were sorry for not pushing for him to get more England caps while he was playing and now with hindsight they realise he was the most underrated midfielder of his generation and wish him all the best tomorrow in the game. And again, that they love him.

Infra-red

Carrick has the charisma of a speed hump, but I thought he did a reasonably good job there.

As he said himself in the conference, nothing he says to the press is actually worth anything anyway - all the matters is the result.

Bondi77

Nothing to see here.
Footballers are not the brightest so they have strict media training so regardless of the question they are shown how to give a standard answer which is not controversial or puts the club in a bad light.
So long as they are kept away from alcohol they can manage that.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Just makes me dislike Maguire even more.
It was disgusting to see these two doing the interview. I don't care if Maguire is the captain (really shouldn't be) seeing him after Watford match, and Ole gone, sitting there was extremely infuriating.

He's responsible for a good 80% of the goals we've conceded in last month.
+1 and when asked what went wrong he goes "in football you have ups and downs"...

If I never see Maguire in United jersey it will be too soon. As far as I am concerned, it's a disgrace for him to be our captain.

Last edited:

Zoo

It was disgusting to see these two doing the interview. I don't care if Maguire is the captain (really shouldn't be) seeing him after Watford match and Ole gun sitting there was extremely infuriating.
Sorry who should have done the press conference then? Kathy and Mike the Chef? If it disgusts you so much why do you even bother with this.

Thought Carrick did well for the most part but didn't like his assessment of the Europa final. We did not play well that game.

Maguire was as dull and uninspiring as expected.
Always the same with ole wasn't it. They genuinely think we play well most of the time. Of course they can't fix it if they dont think there is anything wrong.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
By the sounds of this thread we need to hire a press conference coach as well. Bring in Keane for that.