g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Pre Premier League Draft - Quarter Finals - MJJ vs. EAP

Who would win in the following draft game with all players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MJJ

:lol: Of all the nonsensical comments, this is by far the worst.

1973-74 Supermac when he won the player of the year scored 28 goals from 44 games.
1989-90 LeTiss when he won the Young Player of the Year award score 24 goals from 44 games.

My AM has as much goal threat as your main CF. I have 2 further CFs to spare.

With 3 men behind him, he'll flourish here.
Passenger refers to the amount of work he will put in off the ball, no one is disputing his quality on the ball but playing two CFs(and an AM who is unlikely to help) when facing a superior midfield with an outball to the wingers is very unlikely to help control or win possession.

It does not matter how many CFs you have if you arent creating opportunities.

MJJ

Sir Bobby regarding Beattie

"Nine caps," muses Sir Bobby. "He should have won 99 - heck, he should have been the most capped English player of all time."
Shankly regarding Beattie
But Beattie had not heard the last of his original admirer. "Years later, after I'd played in Mr Shankly's testimonial game, he told me, 'Ay, lad, I haven't made many mistakes but you were one of the biggest. Don't dare tell anyone I told you so'. And I never did until after his death. That sort of accolade is worth more than medals to me."

MJJ

If you are talking about creativity, I have Muhren, Currie and Le Tiss compared to just Gazza in your team. Not even close. Any one of my midfield trio can make a game winning pass.
Yes creatively they are fine but they will not be winning the ball or retaining it? Your midfield balance is wrong, my side is going to outfight you and edge the match.

Edit-

Wilkins,Bell,Souness will provide just as much as creativity whereas armstrong was renowned for his crossing ability and you are pretty much leaving him on his own on the left flank with pearce for support.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Yes creatively they are fine but they will not be winning the ball or retaining it? Your midfield balance is wrong, my side is going to outfight you and edge the match.
Sorry, have no clue what you are talking about.

Muhren was astute defensively and having been a winger will help out against Nicol when you have the ball. Currie has a more attacking role here, but remember he was replacing Johnny Giles in the midfield.

Don Howe said:
Tony is the type of player we needed since Giles left. A classy performer who will give us the extra spark and midfield strength. There is nothing wrong in Tony's application or workrate either in training or matches.
He certainly will track back and is quite versatile to put in a shift defensively if any of your fullbacks try to cut in.

I don't have to carry anyone defensively. There are no passengers. A 3 man midfield will be the best platform for Le Tiss to work his magic.

MJJ

Sorry, have no clue what you are talking about.

Muhren was astute defensively and having been a winger will help out against Nicol when you have the ball. Currie has a more attacking role here, but remember he was replacing Johnny Giles in the midfield.

He certainly will track back and is quite versatile to put in a shift defensively if any of your fullbacks try to cut in.

I don't have to carry anyone defensively. There are no passengers. A 3 man midfield will be the best platform for Le Tiss to work his magic.
I was calling Le Tiss the passenger from a defensive point of view.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I was calling Le Tiss the passenger from a defensive point of view.
Whtn 4 defenders and 3 midfielders behind him, why does anyone want Le Tiss to defend? :confused:

Anway just watch the video I posted before. He drop back and makes runs all the time. This was his goals for 1989-90 season and you can see he regularly drops back and picks the balls from the midfield and drives the attack.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
The ties keep getting harder?

I don't see one weak link in the defences. Midfields look equalish too. From their formation/positions, they'd face off (2 Def mids Vs two attacking mids and vice versa)?

I get the comment about whether Reid can cope with Gazza, though think trickery would be his issue, not positional sense or speed (they're not playing in a Mexican summer, Reid's Kryptonite and he had a good engine).

@MJJ , who is covering/stopping Le Tissier? Wilkins?

@Edgar Allan Pillow , I like Smith and Gray as a partnership but think they'd maybe be a bigger threat with some width (which they had in their teams). I know they werent purely an aerial threat but where do you see their goals coming from as Burns/Beattie are very capable CHs on the ground/in a battle (personally, I'd rate Beattie better)

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@Edgar Allan Pillow , I like Smith and Gray as a partnership but think they'd maybe be a bigger threat with some width (which they had in their teams). I know they werent purely an aerial threat but where do you see their goals coming from as Burns/Beattie are very capable CHs on the ground/in a battle (personally, I'd rate Beattie better)
Width...after you took Robertson? ;) Jus Kiddin!

I get your point. It'll be a question of numbers. 2 CB vs 2 CF will only end one way. Add in Le Tiss (who Wilkins will not stop) and it leans more towards my team. Le God, Muhren and Currie are all gifted crossers and Muhren/Currie are both comfortable drifting wide when we have the ball or supporting the fullback when off possession. Sansom is a excellent crosser and Neal is a attacking FB by nature too. Though their roles will be to defend first, they are not going to tuck in and stay back.

MJJ

The ties keep getting harder?

I don't see one weak link in the defences. Midfields look equalish too. From their formation/positions, they'd face off (2 Def mids Vs two attacking mids and vice versa)?

I get the comment about whether Reid can cope with Gazza, though think trickery would be his issue, not positional sense or speed (they're not playing in a Mexican summer, Reid's Kryptonite and he had a good engine).

@MJJ , who is covering/stopping Le Tissier? Wilkins?

Yeah regarding reid that's kind of what I meant, gazza will dribble past him for fun and I don't think he has the attributes to catch up to him which will disrupt eap midfield and defensive shape.

I also feel having an out ball in armstrong is a great advantage, with strong overlap opportunities for pearce too.

On the other flank, you have bell who can either cut inside and overload the midfield or stay wide for a 2 vs 1 opportunity again.

I feel like having three cfs, of sort, who are central will work against eap as his attack is quite central and congested whereas I have more variety in mine.

For le tissier it will be a shared job but i would expect Wilkins to sit deeper.

MJJ

Whtn 4 defenders and 3 midfielders behind him, why does anyone want Le Tiss to defend? :confused:

Anway just watch the video I posted before. He drop back and makes runs all the time. This was his goals for 1989-90 season and you can see he regularly drops back and picks the balls from the midfield and drives the attack.

Well considering gazza will help out the midfield and bell will cut in as well, I can see your midfield being overrun while your two strikers and le tiss stand chatting with my cbs.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Well considering gazza will help out the midfield and bell will cut in as well, I can see your midfield being overrun while your two strikers and le tiss stand chatting with my cbs.
Why is it that your players are always running about, while mine are stationary? And how is it you have an advantage out wide when your wingers are cutting in? At least be consistent in your arguments! ;)

I would assume when I have the ball and Currie moves up, Souness will have to step out leaving Le Tiss one on one with Wilkins and Muhren totally free. There's nothing your wingers can do about that.

MJJ

Why is it that your players are always running about, while mine are stationary? And how is it you have an advantage out wide when your wingers are cutting in? At least be consistent in your arguments! ;)

I would assume when I have the ball and Currie moves up, Souness will have to step out leaving Le Tiss one on one with Wilkins and Muhren totally free. There's nothing your wingers can do about that.
Bell will be cutting in, not Armstong.if he cuts in, I create a midfield overload or he can stay outwide and wait for the ball to come to him. It's the flexibility a 4 3 2 1 gives you vs a diamond which is daily static, specially with three strikers.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Bell will be cutting in, not Armstong.if he cuts in, I create a midfield overload
:confused: If Bell cuts in he'll be the fourth midfielder for you. I already have 4 on the middle. How is that an overload?

Let me put it directly, who is covering Le Tissier and Muhren? f Souness steps out for Muhren, Le Tiss will be unmarked. If he drops back for Le Tiss, then Muhren will ping cross after cross freely. No way you can cover them both!

MJJ

:confused: If Bell cuts in he'll be the fourth midfielder for you. I already have 4 on the middle. How is that an overload?

Let me put it directly, who is covering Le Tissier and Muhren? f Souness steps out for Muhren, Le Tiss will be unmarked. If he drops back for Le Tiss, then Muhren will ping cross after cross freely. No way you can cover them both!
Muheen is in central mid? Why would sourness be stepping out?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Close game, but Gazza with those 2 CM's behind him sealed it for me.

MJJ

One of your midfielder is le tissier who isn't going to help out in the midfield as well. Also, muhren is pinging crosses from centre mid? To whom? Your non existent wingers?

MJJ

Well then who is covering Muhren? When I get the ball you're going to give him freedom to run the game?
He is in midfield? He will either have souness or wilkins next to him most of the time? You dont have freedom to run the game from central midfield, specially if one of the trio is preoccupied with gazza.

MJJ

Despite Reid, you still have Muhren, Currie and Le Tiss vs 2 of your CMs.
Again, le tiss will not be helping out from a defensive pov. He is going to be a passenger in there so I basically have muhren,currie vs my two cm which is a battle I will win. He isnt needed but bell can come inside to create an overload as well.

The bigger tactical mismatch is you leaving armstrong and pearce in particular alone against neal and occasionaly bell and nicol too.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
He is going to be a passenger in there so I basically have muhren,currie vs my two cm which is a battle I will win.
That's absurd. If that's the case, then it leaves LeTiss plus my 2 CFs vs your 2 CBs, which would be a massacre. :eek:

The bigger tactical mismatch is you leaving armstrong and pearce in particular alone against neal and occasionaly bell
Neal is good enough to deal with Armstrong on his own comfortably. Currie will help defensively. And whatever cross that does come will be dealt with McGrath and Lawro.

MJJ

That's absurd. If that's the case, then it leaves LeTiss plus my 2 CFs vs your 2 CBs, which would be a massacre. :eek:

Neal is good enough to deal with Armstrong on his own comfortably. Currie will help defensively. And whatever cross that does come will be dealt with McGrath and Lawro.
Yes it will at times but you can't hurt my side if you don't have the ball.

Neal is dealing with armstrong and pearce alone? Cmon. Armstrong alone vs him would be competitive, pearce just creates a win.

Just like leaving te liss alone is advantages, currie going out to the wing helps me assert more control on midfield and nullify your central threat.

A diamond in which you can't dominate the middle will always perform poorly in a match.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Voted for Edgar largely on the strength of that final-ready, McGrath marshaled defence. With Reid providing credible resistance to the brilliant Gascoigne, and McGrath/Lawrenson being well-suited to coping with MacDonald's pace, he mitigates the opposition's main threats fairly well. I'm not sure about MacDonald as a lone striker either, as from what I've seen he seemed to thrive playing off a selfless target man like Stapleton. Edgar's attack makes more sense this round too, with Alan Smith playing properly up front instead of that odd, Rivaldo-esque support striker gig from the previous round. Muhren looks completely in his element here on the left of the diamond with two strikers to aim for and Le Tissier/Currie to interplay with. Ball recovery is a problem for him against such a robust opposition midfield, and I could easily see someone like Souness breaking forward and scoring, but I'd back Edgar to win by the odd goal.

Enigma_87

You know who
Saw the tag a bit late. Didn't have much time to look at it but probably have slight preference to Edegar's team due to his defence and Smith/Gray troubling MJJ's central pair.