Pre-season friendly Wigan - Manchester United

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Quote me. We shall revisit this in a year.
I already did.

Revisit what? I don't think he'll make it either. But calling him a donkey on the back of a preseason game where he hasn't even been that bad is just stupid.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You have to question Jones's decision making.

MartialsBeard

Enjoyed that first half. So many small things that have put a smile on my face.

Passing into dangerous positions. The first thought isnt defence with posession.

Manager on the touch line.

Mikhy looking for the most dangerous option at all times.

Enjoying it. Bailly looks very composed. Something LVG would have destroyed in the proceeding games. Jose will encourage that.

All smiles just need a win.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Man, going purely on Caf-mentalness, a team with Herrera, Janujaz, Perreria, Keane...we should be unstoppable! ;)

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Funny that people are writing off Wilson, so many people seem to experts on him claiming that he'll never make it, when for most your judgment on him is based on the odd 10 minute cameos and this 45 minutes. If a youth prospect doesn't wow people on here straight away then apparently it's just c ase of fans overhyping a youth product :rolleyes:
He will not make it for us. Sorry. He will have a career, just not for United. Martial/Rashford/Ibra are all ahead of him and not to forget Rooney. Memphis can play up front as well at a push.

Walters_19_MuFc

A very Van Gaal style performance in the first half. Yes, we've moved the ball at a quicker pace, but we've not really created many chances, with the amount of possession we've had.

Of course it's hard to break teams down that defend so deep and narrow, which is why I don't understand why our wide midfielders are so narrow. The interchanging has looked good, at times, especially with Lingard and Mkhitaryan, who I feel have had good halves. However, it's playing into Wigan's hands.

Second half we need to be looking to stretch them a bit more. Lingard and Depay have to bide their time out wide a bit more, in order to create attacking overloads in wide areas.

Also, this game (and I know it's only the first pre season game) has shown me why Mourinho would want a player like Pogba. Herrera has had a pretty lively half. Very good energy, quick tempo, movement, etc. However, his game is very simple. He's not willing to take risks, which is what you need against teams that defend with 11 men behind the ball.

Pogba would give us that drive, long range shooting, that bit of magic to open teams up, etc.

Tiber

Funny that people are writing off Wilson, so many people seem to experts on him claiming that he'll never make it, when for most your judgment on him is based on the odd 10 minute cameos and this 45 minutes. If a youth prospect doesn't wow people on here straight away then apparently it's just c ase of fans overhyping a youth product :rolleyes:
Quite right - it was only a bad 45 mins.

But when Zlatan, Rashford and Rooney are all taking up many off his precious few mins on the pitch when is WIlson goings to get another chance to impress?

OldTrevil

Referee was atrocious, shove on Carrick looked like a pen. Lingard also had a clear foul just outside the box dismissed. Wigan pushed their way out of trouble majority of the time.

Shark

@NotShark
He'll never make it here, I'm pretty certain of that just by using my eyes and not the fact that he's a youth product. There's nothing special about him in any way.

as-95

Why do people think running yourself into the ground should allow you to play for Manchester United?

Its simply not enough for me. Lingard has alot of energy and makes decent runs but thats not good enough for a side of our stature. He is more one-footed than Valencia, lacks ball control and has shown yet again his inability to beat a man(one of the most important criteria for a winger).

We must buy a new right winger or CAM (depending on where Mkhi plays).

forevrared

Haven't seen a second of the game, but Christ, 0-0! We sound dire. Are we sure Jose is the man for the job?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Why do people think running yourself into the ground should allow you to play for Manchester United?

Its simply not enough for me. Lingard has alot of energy and makes decent runs but thats not good enough for a side of our stature. He is more one-footed than Valencia, lacks ball control and has shown yet again his inability to beat a man(one of the most important criteria for a winger).

We need a new right winger or CAM (depending on where Mkhi plays).
Lingard was our second best attacking player. Wtf are you talking about?

kenny19

Can't believe we've been transitioning for three years. Doesn't help when the managers buy players like memphis.

Cina

Phil Jones' hair is far too awful for a player of his 'quality'.