Premier League agree winter break for 2022 World Cup

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Christian Purslow going on like the world is coming to an end.

"Next season when we play in an equally crazy idea, which is a winter World Cup, we won't see any Premier League football at the peak of our season between November and December, which is something that people are going to have to get used to.

"These are decisions that get taken a long time ago. They bite, quite soon. Next season we'll all see that.

"I always have concerns about player welfare but I have more concerns for our fans missing Premier League football in the winter for five weeks, which is our great national tradition and our great national heritage."

When's he joining parliament?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
How will they fit in the fixtures usually played there? Will they squeeze the season into June 2023 and/or start it the previous July 2022 or will they try and squeeze everything in during the other normal months?

RUCK4444

Christian Purslow going on like the world is coming to an end.

"Next season when we play in an equally crazy idea, which is a winter World Cup, we won't see any Premier League football at the peak of our season between November and December, which is something that people are going to have to get used to.

"These are decisions that get taken a long time ago. They bite, quite soon. Next season we'll all see that.

"I always have concerns about player welfare but I have more concerns for our fans missing Premier League football in the winter for five weeks, which is our great national tradition and our great national heritage."

When's he joining parliament?
He’s not fecking wrong though is he.

It’s ridiculous in every sense of the word.

Jaae

Not ITK
In the interests of competitiveness, and curiosity, I vote for PL games to continue as normal during the course of the World Cup.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Tbf if they extend the domestic season into June it would be a normal world cup season anyway just with the usual schedule different.

Is there any tournaments on this summer? That's when the players should have a total rest, I'd go as far as saying nothing in June and it mandatory for every club bring their players back later for pre season to give them all a proper break after the schedule of the last two years (lockdown doesn't count as a break certainly not mentally anyway).

Feck it, I won't be watching that abomination. I'll have to have a month or two off football it looks like.

Cloud7

In the interests of competitiveness, and curiosity, I vote for PL games to continue as normal during the course of the World Cup.
This would be a ton of fun. The PL but without any of the players called up to their international teams.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom

Feck it, I won't be watching that abomination. I'll have to have a month or two off football it looks like.
I think some of you are mistaking the quirkiness of the schedule with the actual appeal of the WC. As long the players are on board, it'll be worth watching.

I think some of you are mistaking the quirkiness of the schedule with the actual appeal of the WC. As long the players are on board, it'll be worth watching.
For me I just don't want to support that obnoxious display of murder and corruption in any way.

FerociousCorgis

it is almost like the world cup is supposed to be in the summer, and shocker qatar went back on their word that it would be in summer and not winter. How those magical open air AC stadiums coming? Corrupt fecks.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
No I don't.
Oh well, my point is you look the other way some else in your life most probably. If this is the one you choose to make a stand on, so be it. I think for some reason the media decided Qatar was the worst thing ever and some of you have bought the narrative. I might have bought it too on another day.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think we'll be having some shock results over xmas period 2022. Imagine losing a world cup final on penalties or something and then having to come back and play for your club in sub zero temperatures 5-6 days later. Loads of players would need a few weeks to get over it as happened in the summer.

Someone like Burnley with hardly anyone at world cup could have mini pre season and climb up league quickly.

Mshafeek

Oh well, my point is you look the other way some else in your life most probably. If this is the one you choose to make a stand on, so be it. I think for some reason the media decided Qatar was the worst thing ever and some of you have bought the narrative. I might have bought it too on another day.
Ridiculous, isn't it. I reckon it is closet islamophobia. Can't rationalize any other logical reason. I mean, Russia probably kills and damages humans and human rights and 'democracy' in a year through their proxy wars and interventions and undemocratic dictatorship more than tiny Qatar will ever do in a lifetime, Brazil hosting the WC probably was an economic disaster and corruption that trampled upon the rights of Brazilians exponentially more than any corruption Qatar has did - But people who did not bat an eye are suddenly gravely concerned. And their concern - all based on a blatant lie that claims people were killed in building the WC stadiums. Qatar, and the concerned embassies - have clarified that the death rates are not anything above what is expected from Qatar's large immigrant population [https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/qatar-world-cup-migrant-labour-critics-spinning-facts]. But people are ready to believe such ridiculous claims because something else is at play here.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Ridiculous, isn't it. I reckon it is closet islamophobia. Can't rationalize any other logical reason. I mean, Russia probably kills and damages humans and human rights and 'democracy' in a year through their proxy wars and interventions and undemocratic dictatorship more than tiny Qatar will ever do in a lifetime, Brazil hosting the WC probably was an economic disaster and corruption that trampled upon the rights of Brazilians exponentially more than any corruption Qatar has did - But people who did not bat an eye are suddenly gravely concerned. And their concern - all based on a blatant lie that claims people were killed in building the WC stadiums. Qatar, and the concerned embassies - have clarified that the death rates are not anything above what is expected from Qatar's large immigrant population [https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/qatar-world-cup-migrant-labour-critics-spinning-facts]. But people are ready to believe such ridiculous claims because something else is at play here.
There's potential irony here as well because with the changes that are planned for 2026 and whatever else beyond, this might be last WC for purists.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
At least some rich individuals at FIFA got richer, let's not forget the real reason Qatar is happening people!

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Yeah, just going to boycott this WC. If no one watches or consumes the media around it, FIFA would soon learn their lesson.

JuriM

Looking forward to it, the placement and the conditions are so different and challenging in other ways that normal World Cups ain't been. It's a one time thing atm and we'll probably see some top notch football as every player is in peak of his seasonal form in the middle of club season.

pauldyson1uk

Calendar for 2022/23 season
  • Premier League to start a week earlier than this season
  • Start date expected to be Saturday August 6, 2022
  • Season to pause after Sunday November 13, 2022
  • Season to resume on Boxing Day, 2022
  • Break will allow players to travel for the World Cup in Qatar
  • Season to still finish in May, but may be later
  • FA Cup final to be moved to June

Pickle85

Serious question: have you read the article you quote here? Not sure I believe an opinion piece from a media outlet called Middle East Eye is the greatest source for hard facts on the subject.
Also, are we supposed to take it on trust from Qatar that 'the death rates are not anything above what is expected from Qatar's large immigrant population'? Do you think they may, just may, have reasons for saying this?! The rest of your post is lies (your claim that nobody has been killed building WC stadia), whataboutery (so are we meant to ignore these human rights abuses because others have also abused human rights) and baseless strawmanning (islamaphobia). Take your Qatari PR bollocks elsewhere. People are dying and human rights are being abused in that country in service of a world cup they should never have been awarded. It's disgusting.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Think we'll be having some shock results over xmas period 2022. Imagine losing a world cup final on penalties or something and then having to come back and play for your club in sub zero temperatures 5-6 days later. Loads of players would need a few weeks to get over it as happened in the summer.

Someone like Burnley with hardly anyone at world cup could have mini pre season and climb up league quickly.
It will be interesting how it affects the table, I still expect one of the big 4 to win the title but the world cup could determine where the title goes.

Moreover, a mid-table team might find itself in trouble if they pick up a lot of injuries and have a run of tough games.

On the other side, players who are out injured from August to October might get more time to come back from injury.

Devil may care

A decision made solely based on greed was always going to have knock-on effects that suck.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What do leagues around the world do when their leagues are disrupted by the World Cup?

It won’t be that difficult to implement

Mshafeek

Serious question: have you read the article you quote here? Not sure I believe an opinion piece from a media outlet called Middle East Eye is the greatest source for hard facts on the subject.
Also, are we supposed to take it on trust from Qatar that 'the death rates are not anything above what is expected from Qatar's large immigrant population'? Do you think they may, just may, have reasons for saying this?! The rest of your post is lies (your claim that nobody has been killed building WC stadia), whataboutery (so are we meant to ignore these human rights abuses because others have also abused human rights) and baseless strawmanning (islamaphobia). Take your Qatari PR bollocks elsewhere. People are dying and human rights are being abused in that country in service of a world cup they should never have been awarded. It's disgusting.
1. Middleeasteye is not propagandist media. Far from that - the straight opposite. It is banned in Saudi Arabia. It is UK based. It is a great source of independent news from there.
2. It's not primarily about what Qatar says. It's about applying logic to what you claim. In the guardian article that claimed excessive deaths, the number of deaths of Pak immigrants is quoted as being 824 for a 10 year period. What the article doesn't say is that there are more than a 125,000 Pakistanis living in Qatar, and that this death rate is not abnormal for such a large population. Similar is the case for other figures quoted. Also the article stunningly fails to distinguish between deaths in construction and elsewhere. Looking at the central claim of the article this failure seems malicious. Qatar is not an enclosed totalitarian state like China or North Korea. If you claim otherwise you are just projecting your prejudice is all and are not fit to make claims you know nothing about. Deaths are reported there transparently like anywhere and is accounted for. So if you make a claim about excessive deaths, why not bring the proof. Why make a wrong claim, by hiding part of the data? Take this in clearly : Qatar is not hiding any deaths, nor is anyone claiming so - The 2 central claims - of there being excessive deaths and of there being too much deaths during the constructions - are both factually wrong .
3. Whataboutery is not a criminal act. Sometimes it is the only way to point out hypocritic behavior. Citing moral reasons for having an issue with next WC when you happily gobbled up the previous two without so much as batting an eye is straight out hypocrisy. If you can cite any rationale for this, you're welcome. Islamophobia is one reason I can connect logically to this.
4. I'm just irritated by the hypocritic behavior of people pretending to be on a moral high ground on this issue. Qatar may have issues that needs addressing - that's to be discussed factually and fairly.

Pickle85

1. Middleeasteye is not propagandist media. Far from that - the straight opposite. It is banned in Saudi Arabia. It is UK based. It is a great source of independent news from there.
2. It's not primarily about what Qatar says. It's about applying logic to what you claim. In the guardian article that claimed excessive deaths, the number of deaths of Pak immigrants is quoted as being 824 for a 10 year period. What the article doesn't say is that there are more than a 125,000 Pakistanis living in Qatar, and that this death rate is not abnormal for such a large population. Similar is the case for other figures quoted. Also the article stunningly fails to distinguish between deaths in construction and elsewhere. Looking at the central claim of the article this failure seems malicious. Qatar is not an enclosed totalitarian state like China or North Korea. If you claim otherwise you are just projecting your prejudice is all and are not fit to make claims you know nothing about. Deaths are reported there transparently like anywhere and is accounted for. So if you make a claim about excessive deaths, why not bring the proof. Why make a wrong claim, by hiding part of the data? Take this in clearly : Qatar is not hiding any deaths, nor is anyone claiming so - The 2 central claims - of there being excessive deaths and of there being too much deaths during the constructions - are both factually wrong .
3. Whataboutery is not a criminal act. Sometimes it is the only way to point out hypocritic behavior. Citing moral reasons for having an issue with next WC when you happily gobbled up the previous two without so much as batting an eye is straight out hypocrisy. If you can cite any rationale for this, you're welcome. Islamophobia is one reason I can connect logically to this.
4. I'm just irritated by the hypocritic behavior of people pretending to be on a moral high ground on this issue. Qatar may have issues that needs addressing - that's to be discussed factually and fairly.
2. Deaths are not investigated as rigourously as in other countries, ergo cause of death more often than not appears as natural causes, cardiac or respiratory arrest which are meaningless without digging into the why of them. According to Amnesty (via The Guardian), as many as 70% of deaths may be unexplained. “In a well resourced health system, it should be possible to identify the exact cause of death in all but 1% of cases,” Do you see the problem here? Also, when you say that the death rate is not abnormal for such a large population this ignores the fact that migrant workers are not elderly and infirm and have to pass health checks for underlying diseases before gaining entry to Qatar. So while it may not be abnormal for a population that spans the young and the old as well as the healthy and sick, it begins to look a little suspicious when set against the fact that migrant workers are healthy and by and large not elderly when entering Qatar. This is all without even getting into the shady practices around refusing some workers the right to leave the country. But yeh, you're right, they're unimpeachable morally...guess it's my islamaphobia acting up again.

3. I think you'll find a lot of people had issues with the Russian world cup. But to be clear, you are actually arguing that people who didn't complain about that one shouldn't be allowed to protest human rights abuses elsewhere?

Withnail

Calendar for 2022/23 season
  • Premier League to start a week earlier than this season
  • Start date expected to be Saturday August 6, 2022
  • Season to pause after Sunday November 13, 2022
  • Season to resume on Boxing Day, 2022
  • Break will allow players to travel for the World Cup in Qatar
  • Season to still finish in May, but may be later
  • FA Cup final to be moved to June
Emmm so they're taking a break from the regular PL schedule for 7 weeks and there's no firm plans to extend the season at all? It's just a vague 'may be later' so plan is to flog the players again.

After what they've all been through with the condensed seasons due to covid, it's pretty shameful.

Ludens the Red

Emmm so they're taking a break from the regular PL schedule for 7 weeks and there's no firm plans to extend the season at all? It's just a vague 'may be later' so plan is to flog the players again.

After what they've all been through with the condensed seasons due to covid, it's pretty shameful.
Yup they give no fecks. That’s been clear with the attempts to expand the Champions League, expand the World Cup and make the World Cup every two years.

pauldyson1uk

Not sure what else they can do, clubs cant refuse to release players for the WC.
FA Cup Final moving to June, to me means the season will go on well in to May, many even first week of June with the Final mid June.
CL Final will also have to move I would think.
But you are right flogging the players again

GMoore23

Yup they give no fecks. That’s been clear with the attempts to expand the Champions League, expand the World Cup and make the World Cup every two years.
This is why I wasn't totally against the Super League as long as we were still in the Premier league also. Uefa and Fifa are complete greedy scum and really needed put in their place. A world cup every 2 years and I'm about done with this sport. It's changing at a rapid rate from the game I grew up loving.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Will The Championship likely still be on?

I know they usually have no fixtures during international breaks too, but then a lot of the international players from that league play for some of the more minor countries who won't necessarily make it to the World Cup.

Edit: I think I'm right in saying MLS carries on during summer World Cups. The clubs would be missing a number of the USA internationals, but any Canadian, Guatemalan, Trinidad and Tobago ones etc. would normally still be available so maybe it will carry on a bit like that.

Last edited:

Mshafeek

2. Deaths are not investigated as rigourously as in other countries, ergo cause of death more often than not appears as natural causes, cardiac or respiratory arrest which are meaningless without digging into the why of them. According to Amnesty (via The Guardian), as many as 70% of deaths may be unexplained. “In a well resourced health system, it should be possible to identify the exact cause of death in all but 1% of cases,” Do you see the problem here? Also, when you say that the death rate is not abnormal for such a large population this ignores the fact that migrant workers are not elderly and infirm and have to pass health checks for underlying diseases before gaining entry to Qatar. So while it may not be abnormal for a population that spans the young and the old as well as the healthy and sick, it begins to look a little suspicious when set against the fact that migrant workers are healthy and by and large not elderly when entering Qatar. This is all without even getting into the shady practices around refusing some workers the right to leave the country. But yeh, you're right, they're unimpeachable morally...guess it's my islamaphobia acting up again.

3. I think you'll find a lot of people had issues with the Russian world cup. But to be clear, you are actually arguing that people who didn't complain about that one shouldn't be allowed to protest human rights abuses elsewhere?
- Your points above are more specific. That's what I was talking about. Compare that to the reason for the anti-qatar sentiment surrounding the WC - the notion that 'thousands' died in constructing stadiums, created by the hyperbolic lie in the newspaper headline.

- Rigorous investigation maybe useful - but that is not connected to whether there are excessive deaths relative to what can be perceived as normal. "Migrant workers are healthy and by and large are not elderly" - is just an assumption in the absence of data. The fact is, immigrants from South Asia stay and work in the Middle East as long as they can, mostly around 55-60 years. For almost all of them, the job in the 'Gulf' is their lifeline and they don't leave it it until they are absolutely forced to. I know, because I come from such a place and have hundreds of friends and family residing in the Middle East. The 'health checks' you say about is just a formality - almost anyone without STDs or similar diseases are guaranteed entry. The 'checks' are carried out by namesake firms and clinics or branches and their primary goal is collecting the fee - it's just the way it is.

-Qatar is just like most Asian countries - far from perfect. I am absolutely not disputing it. All I am against is the malicious hyperbolic lies created by supposedly 'good' media. I have given enough proof of this in the previous post - the failure to distinguish between deaths in construction and elsewhere the most obvious one. There is corruption and labor issues like anywhere else - needs to be addressed properly - and is being done without hyperbole. Of the Gulf countries, Qatar is probably the one with the most progressive and non-problematic laws and practices. The 'refusal to leave' issue doesn't exist anymore afaik, and companies keeping hold of workers' passports attracts penalty.

- The comparison with Russia was for context. Russia is objectively far more problematic - their military and geopolitical interventions alone are proof - but the hyperbole around Qatar is exponentially more. There has to be a reason for this, right? This is where I saw Islamophobia. I mean, look at the case of Norway threatening boycott. Will the same Norway threaten a boycott of the Beijing winter olympics, seeing as China is torturing millions in concentration camps? Why the unwarranted focus on Islamic countries?