Premier League Festive Season

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
We played great first half.

Lukaku coming on and Chelsea going 4-3-3 and we didn't react at all, missed Gerrard on touchline.
We didnt change formation. Pulisic and Alonso were wingbacks second half. Lukaku in the middle of the line and Pulisic out wide made the difference.

Jacob

How many pens for Chelsea in the last five league games?

CloneMC16

We're far better than Atletico and it would be a failure to get KOed by them.
I really don't think we are. Our team is nothing special. Unless Ralf gets us playing at a much higher level, it will be a pretty close game.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We played great first half.

Lukaku coming on and Chelsea going 4-3-3 and we didn't react at all, missed Gerrard on touchline.
I don’t think you did really, some nice passes into the final third but pretty poor when you got there. A lot of sloppy attacking play.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Jorginho gonna be Chelsea's top scorer again with all these pens they're getting

Anustart89

How is leading with the knee like that not 'endangering the safety' of an opponent? I guess nobody's watching Brighton-Brentford but Nørgaard jumped in from behind in an attempt to head the ball and put his knee in the neck of a Brighton player.

Deery

Dreary
Man, Boxing Day evening match Brighton v Brentford sorry but I’m out, who the feck thinks this shit up?

Anustart89

Brighton should've had a pen there, handball on Jansson above head height.

Anustart89

@GifLord

Can you post a gif of Brighton-Brentford @ 17:15-17:20 just to illustrate what the fecking point of VAR is if they can't spot that?

tomaldinho1

How is leading with the knee like that not 'endangering the safety' of an opponent? I guess nobody's watching Brighton-Brentford but Nørgaard jumped in from behind in an attempt to head the ball and put his knee in the neck of a Brighton player.
Players usually get away with it because you can argue they’re protecting themselves having the knee up and it’s part of a jumping motion. Like when Lindelof nearly killed that Sociedad defender (it wasn’t his fault as the defender didn’t jump but it ended up being dangerous).

Anustart89

Players usually get away with it because you can argue they’re protecting themselves having the knee up and it’s part of a jumping motion. Like when Lindelof nearly killed that Sociedad defender (it wasn’t his fault as the defender didn’t jump but it ended up being dangerous).
But that means that you judge the action not on the action itself but on what the other player does. Like you said, it's incredibly dangerous to jump full pelt with your knee at head height just because "usually" the other player jumps. I mean, you can't run around windmilling your arms and then say "well usually the opponent ducks when I go flailing my arms" and expect to get off scot free.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Chelsea fans, what do you make of the Atkinson thing? Is it all in our heads that you get him all the time and that he's very kind to you lot? I mean, I'm definitely suspecting confirmation bias on my part but what do you lot make of it? @duffer @rest of chelsea fans
Never noticed him being good/bad but a quick bit of research says we do worse off with him.

He's reffed 45 Chelsea PL games since he started in 2005/06. Of those we've won 25 (55%), drawn 9 (20%) and lost 11 (25%).

We've played 608 games since the 2005/06 season (not including this one). We've won 60%, drawn 21% and lost 19% of those.

So, in summary, feck Martin Atkinson.

Anustart89

Never noticed him being good/bad but a quick bit of research says we do worse off with him.

He's reffed 45 Chelsea PL games since he started in 2005/06. Of those we've won 25 (55%), drawn 9 (20%) and lost 11 (25%).

We've played 608 games since the 2005/06 season (not including this one). We've won 60%, drawn 21% and lost 19% of those.

So, in summary, feck Martin Atkinson.
The first bit is what I was mostly shooting for when asking.

The win/loss ratio would be a bit of a misnomer since he's positioned himself as one of the supposedly better referees, so would be more likely to get you against tougher opposition, which could explain the lower win percentage, no?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The first bit is what I was mostly shooting for when asking.

The win/loss ratio would be a bit of a misnomer since he's positioned himself as one of the supposedly better referees, so would be more likely to get you against tougher opposition, which could explain the lower win percentage, no?
Sure, if he does get the better games that would make sense. I really can't be arsed checking that though!

In reality, I think refs genuinely do their best to be fair, they're just shit rather than biased so you are going to end up with some refs making clangers against the same sides.

Anustart89

Sure, if he does get the better games that would make sense. I really can't be arsed checking that though!

In reality, I think refs genuinely do their best to be fair, they're just shit rather than biased so you are going to end up with some refs making clangers against the same sides.
Exactly the sort of statement I'd expect from someone who supports the club who gets the most favourable treatment from the refs. I rest my case.

tomaldinho1

But that means that you judge the action not on the action itself but on what the other player does. Like you said, it's incredibly dangerous to jump full pelt with your knee at head height just because "usually" the other player jumps. I mean, you can't run around windmilling your arms and then say "well usually the opponent ducks when I go flailing my arms" and expect to get off scot free.
Yh I don’t think it’s right but I don’t really see a solution that won’t make players dive even more than they do today. I think you have to try and put it in context, so the Lindelof one I think the ref has to give him a red (even though it was never deliberate) because it’s a flying knee to the face but only because the laws of the game are so strict around head contact & he also missed the ball. It’s a tough one though, for example what do you do if he’d won the ball and scored but still made contact? There’s a point where you have to accept it’s a contact sport and the defender was an idiot.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
He makes a good point tbh. What Mings did here for instance was a joke
There is a huge quality gap between City, Liverpool, Chelsea and the rest of the league when it comes to defending.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Good opportunity for United to improve their GD a bit here considering what Spurs and Arsenal did yesterday.