Premier League Fixtures 16th - 23rd

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Surprisingly it has been a cracking little game. Wolves are dire without Jimenez, it's been exemplified massively in his absence.

Anustart89

They were the correct calls. Neves went down holding his face like a clown only to get up again when the goal was confirmed, and Coady basically tripped Robinson twice. Good refereeing in this game.
Neves was blocked out of competing for a header that ended up becoming an assist by a hand that was pushed in his face. Regardless of Neves's ability to carry on without medical attention, it is not allowed to hold off opponents by pushing them in the face so it should've been an obvious foul.

Not to mention that a 'simple trip' wasn't even a foul down the other end when Semedo's path was blocked just minutes before the second pen.

NB; I think both pens were correct calls sinc they were both straightforward fouls but I think Oliver's been inconsistent and should've disallowed the second WBA goal for a 'simple foul' too.

NinjaFletch

If it’s a foul in regular play, then it’s a foul in the box. And Coady basically tripped Robinson twice.
I think that's generous. Robinson threw himself to the ground expecting contact and got a tiny little touch when he was well and truly on his way down already.

You can see why VAR hasn't intervened, but we're definitely in a phase of football when attacking players are being rewarded for cheating.

RashyForPM

Neves was blocked out of competing for a header that ended up becoming an assist by a hand that was pushed in his face. Regardless of Neves's ability to carry on without medical attention, it is not allowed to hold off opponents by pushing them in the face so it should've been an obvious foul.

Not to mention that a 'simple trip' wasn't even a foul down the other end when Semedo's path was blocked just minutes before the second pen.
From what I saw, Bartley was jumping to head the ball while Neves was basically crouching. It would be as soft as the Maguire one if they disallowed it. I understand your complaint about consistency, but imo in isolation, those two were the right calls.

Anustart89

From what I saw, Bartley was jumping to head the ball while Neves was basically crouching. It would be as soft as the Maguire one if they disallowed it. I understand your complaint about consistency, but imo in isolation, those two were the right calls.
Well, I suppose he was "jumping to head the ball", but you can't secure an unopposed header by pushing your challenger in the face to eliminate any possibility of being challenged for it. I'm not saying Bartley should've had a red card or anything, just that a push in the face is an obvious, non-dangerous foul, just like the penalties were.

Like I said in the edit after you quoted my post, the two penalties were reasonable calls as they were straightforward fouls, however Semedo was denied a free kick the other way for a hip check that was more obvious than the pen given the other way and obviously the laws of the game don't allow for pushing an opponent in the face to prevent them from challenging for the ball.

The fact that the latter two weren't given as free kicks whereas the penalties were given (with the higher bar for pens) makes me think that Wolves have a right to be aggrieved with Oliver, especially as the 2-2 and 3-2 calls obviously swing the game in one team's favour.

Disclaimer: I don't support any of the teams but I'll gladly take any chance to call Michael Oliver a twat.

Sylar

It was so bad especially with VAR around
At least do it with some contact which might get by VAR

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Selling Doherty ( not that he was that good, but fit well in the system, selling Jota ( a big loss) and losing Jimenez is really biting Wolves hard. Great win for WBA.