Premier League fixtures April 1st - 5th

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Bit confusing here.

So what you are saying is Pep need highest quality players who has excellent decision making skills to implement his style and to be successful?
Yes. The football he wants to play is a heck of a lot harder than what Mourinho or Conte are doing. It requires a team full of players with high IQ, technical skill, and energy, and especially on this city team, where he doesn't have enough individual talent(not productive talent anyways) to get away with the mistakes

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
He's more right thqn wrong. Though the biggest problem is that you make far too many srupid mistakes in possession. Stones, Otamendi and the "FBs" just don't have the IQ to play for Guardiola, they force too many risky passes. The midfielders are also guilty of this at times. Pep's system requires highly intelligent players making the right decisions all the time. Your team makes too many wrong decisions. That's all there is. You need smarter players in defence, you need gundogan back, and you need to be more clinical in front of goal
I admit our finishing can improve and it's not harsh to say so, but we are still scoring goals. Take the Monaco game over two legs, we scored six goals and went out. That's just poor. You're right though about making stupid mistakes, Stones being an obvious perpetrator but if he'd had Kompany alongside him instead of Otamendi he'd be far more developed.

I said we'd see more of a 'Pep team' next season and I stick by that, but now I feel the gutting job will be more severe than anyone thinks. Clichy first out please.

Reactions: Snowjoe

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yes. The football he wants to play is a heck of a lot harder than what Mourinho or Conte are doing. It requires a team full of players with high IQ, technical skill, and energy, and especially on this city team, where he doesn't have enough individual talent(not productive talent anyways) to get away with the mistakes
Good luck to him finding those players. Must raid La Liga completely for those kind of players.

Peanut Butter

You need to be pragmatic at times to succeed in the PL.

It's why Wenger has failed miserably for so long. He rarely mixes it up.

Pep needs to adapt or he won't win the league here.

ti vu

Then you can't say it's better like one of your previous posts, implies. It looks more convincing when all conditions meet, that's it. Better? What is good when you can't create it from scratch but you need much stronger resource: the system to get players & have train them either at academy or top level. Just because the other teams have better players, then you go into game and say that's you as a coach can't do anything to win? What is good about that? I meant you can't be seen as " clear better" with your tactic, when the players are already considered best themselves.

Kostur

海尔的老板
So Pep's too intelligent for the EPL? EPL doesn't have to adapt to him anymore? He just needs the best players to succeed?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
@ti vu
Precisely. If pep's brand of football was inherently better, if winning while playing like that was easy, everybody would play like that.
@Kostur in general every manager needs the best players to win the league. Not just in england but everywhere. Guardiola makes it harder for himself because he wants to win his way, and his way is much harder than most others. If anything, you could say he's too smart for himself

Btw, the idea that managers have to adapt to a league is a strange one. People tend to mean that say that managers have to adapt to the way football is played, as if every team plays the same way. The biggest adaptation foreign managets have to make is cultural, and it relates mostly to their own team

Last edited:

ti vu

@ti vu

@Kostur in general every manager needs the best players to win the league. Not just in england but everywhere. Guardiola makes it harder for himself because he wants to win his way, and his way is much harder than most others. If anything, you could say he's too smart for himself
I don't say you're wrong. I will do some correction. It's not about players. It's about team. Football is team game. Coaches want to build better teams than their competitors to win. Some systems may not need the best attackers, attacking minded players, play makers... They still won things, and considered successful, and champions. So those are also better teams, better football.

Pep just aimed at the holy grail of his style which required ridiculous conditions to be met. As I said when the star aligning, his football looks as most convincing brand. Better? Not sure since if starting from scratch without strong foundation, there would be more defeat than success going this way. It's hard to get best players for minnow teams. Considering his City tenure so far alone, he has been lucky to have a club who's happy to have his friends come in and do some groundwork before hand, then him coming and use more resource. What if he had to start small somewhere low?

There are cases where the teams with better players didn't win. I say here the league, not just cup competition. Later years, we won the league over City with more better players, as SAF built a better team. Leicester last season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
@ti vu i think you misunderstood my post. No system is better than another, and every system is only as good as the players who implement it.

Btw, when i said you need the best players to win a league i meant you need to have some of the league's best players. SAF won titles without having the very best team in terms of individuals, but he still had some of the very best individual players in the league. The year he won the title over city for example, he had the league's 3rd best player(3rd in ability, 2nd in performance) and neither the best or 2nd best playing for a direct rival, plus 2 more of the league's 10 best outfield players, and a better squad overall than all but 1 team. And that one team massively underperformed

The leicesters of the world are so special because they are exceptions, the kind that happens once in 20 years

Kostur

海尔的老板

Btw, the idea that managers have to adapt to a league is a strange one. People tend to mean that say that managers have to adapt to the way football is played, as if every team plays the same way. The biggest adaptation foreign managets have to make is cultural, and it relates mostly to their own team
The 'adapting' thing is a dig from my side obviously, one of the journos, iirc Ballbag, claimed that EPL will have to adapt to Poop and not Poop to EPL. It's not that I agree that a manager should have to adapt to a league, no, but the argument turned around by Ballbag is just beyond silly.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Oh that? The PL was forced to adapt to Pep, and it did so quickly and effectively :lol::lol:

Aza Boy

Actually Pep needs lots of changes

CB : 1 ball playing defender ala Pique, 1 hard tackler ala Masch...

Full Back : 2 hard working fast wing back ala Alves and Alba

For EPL, specialties in handling high balls for CB is a must.

All of his defenders either aging or inexperience..

Midfield :
Pure DM wont do, so all around CM a la busquet is needed...

Fernando/dinho and Yaya have been aging...

1 passing CM who discipline enough to spray passing...ala Xavi or Alonso

1 AM to help front 3 bombarding forward...Pep has it in KdB

Front three of Leroy, Jesus, Sterling, has potential...

So he needs at least 6 new players who can play his tactics a la Barca or Bayern...

If he gets the "right players", who ever play under the goal will be less worried...

Just newbie opinion....hehehe