Premier League Gameweek 2

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
How Coote doesn't send Ayew off for riding Saka then sends Tomi for absolutely feck all is beyond me.

saik

They spent 40 seconds doing that. They spent the other remaining 20 minutes hoofing the ball at the first opportunity.
Fair enough. I was talking about those 40 seconds where they attempted to keep the ball.

Sanchez7

Our team is more than capable to do that as showed in the game against Palace last season at OT with Casemiro’s ‘Red Card’. Seems like its kick ‘em when they are down time at the Caf.
We really aren't. Keeping possession and control of the game has been an issue pretty much since LVG left.

I however agree with your general sentiment - everyone on the forum including myself is obviously disappointed by our opening performances so general negativity towards the team shouldn't come as a surprise.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I can't help but feel both Arsenal and United really helped out Chelsea by signing Havertz and Mount when neither team seemed to really need those two players. I doubt Chelsea could have afforded Caicedo if neither of our clubs took those two off their hands for rather high prices considering.

Ludens the Red

I can't help but feel both Arsenal and United really helped out Chelsea by signing Havertz and Mount when neither team seemed to really need those two players. I doubt Chelsea could have afforded Caicedo if neither of our clubs took those two off their hands for rather high prices considering.
Early days but does look that way. Havertz just doesn’t look on the same page as the rest of your players. And Mount is on a hiding to nothing with that garbage system.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
;):D

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
But what do fans(or dare I say, keyboard warriors/armchair tacticians) know though

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah. Said it before. Although statistically Xhaka and Havertz had similar defensive points last year, surely people can differentiate that they both are different types of player.

Redfrog

I haven't seen a single team that looks capable of getting close to City. They'll PSG the league this year.
Well, nothing new then. Premier League has become no different from Bundesliga or ligue 1.
We were making fun of the la liga being a two team league but we are a one team ligue since quite a long time. Liverpool challenging a year or two won’t change that.
Last year was sad because Arsenal were like making superhuman efforts while City just needed to get out of second gear after New year to easily win it.

That’s on the FA. They are cowards letting City do whatever they want. The league would be much more exciting without them.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Better they have Caicedo than Liverpool.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
Even before the red card we had decided to change our mentality, which indirectly led to the red card. We did that to ourselves. I was not expecting an easy game to be honest. The first instinct here is to knock the opposing team but CP are pretty well organized and can be difficult to break down. I would have accepted this scoreline in a heartbeat, just does not inspire confidence the way we finished the game.
Did you forget that we went down to 10 men?

Not a pretty performance from Tomiyasu getting sent off to the substitutes of Zinchenko and Kiwior, I’ll admit, we had some lucky moments here and there. But it’s difficult to go anywhere in the Premier League and pull out a result with eleven men, late night under the lights. With ten men it’s near impossible.

Sir Alex Ferguson said it, attack wins you games, defence wins you titles. We showed a title challenging defense today, under very difficult circumstances.

Our attack will click, you can bet on that. But more important is our control. We must, must get our control of games up to 60-70 minutes of games and cut our mistakes. That period of ball control after Zinchenko, Kiwior and Jorginho coming on is something we needed for much longer than the last 10 minutes.

Overall a solid performance from Arsenal tonight, and the team and squad will only get better as the season goes on.

Oh.. and fun fact time. Which other team have gone to Selhurst Park, and narrowly won 1-0 in the last 10 games. 10 points to your club if you get the answer.

Last edited:

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal

Not a pretty performance from Tomiyasu getting sent off to the substitutes of Zinchenko and Kiwior, I’ll admit, we had some lucky moments here and there. But it’s difficult to go anywhere in the Premier League and pull out a result with eleven men, late night under the lights. With ten men it’s near impossible.

Sir Alex Ferguson said it, attack wins you games, defence wins you titles. We showed a title challenging defense today, under very difficult circumstances.

Our attack will click, you can bet on that. But more important is our control. We must, must get our control of games up to 60-70 minutes of games and cut our mistakes. That period of ball control after Zinchenko, Kiwior and Jorginho coming on is something we needed for much longer than the last 10 minutes.

Overall a solid performance from Arsenal tonight, and the team and squad will only get better as the season goes on.

Oh.. and fun fact time. Which other team have gone to Selhurst Park, and narrowly won 1-0 in the last 10 games. 10 points to your club if you get the answer.
I agree, think we controlled the game better than we did against Forrest. Until the card of course. Offensively we haven't clicked yet, but should have had another goal or two today. But I think this was a very solid away performance and pretty chuffed considering the circumstances. This new formation from Mikel may just work yet.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah, Arsenal are shit and arent winning anything this year.
Hopefully they will. Much prefer them winning the league than City winning 4 in a row and I don’t see any other challenger. I’m sure many here would love another City treble like last year.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

I remember another club struggling to break Palace down with Guehi and Anderson defending really well only for Olise to make a silly challenge late on and hand that club a penalty to allow them to win 1-0. Palace are not easy to create against when they get into their shape.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
I remember another club struggling to break Palace down with Guehi and Anderson defending really well only for Olise to make a silly challenge late on and hand that club a penalty to allow them to win 1-0. Palace are not easy to create against when they get into their shape.
10 points to your club there.

I find it interesting that opposition fans think an attacking team "plays badly" or "is dominated" when they are coming up against a deep block side.

Even the best teams in world football struggle against deep defences. Look at the Champions League final, look at City's trip to Selhurst Park in March.

What is true, is that Arsenal will be facing deep blocks against 80% of the league this season. So until Arsenal score the first goal it will be a struggle, and even more so if Arsenal need to come from behind. Teams refuse to engage us now, and its funny... teams look dangerous when they decide to hold the ball and attack.

Zed is not dead

I agree, think we controlled the game better than we did against Forrest. Until the card of course. Offensively we haven't clicked yet, but should have had another goal or two today. But I think this was a very solid away performance and pretty chuffed considering the circumstances. This new formation from Mikel may just work yet.
If you want to be truly accepted on the Caf, you should question whether Arteta is under pressure and should be sacked, throw a dig at Edu and another random executive of your liking, mention some transfer fees, and rave about how another team is so better run.
Bonus points if you manage to shite on your best players and wonder if you should accept a 60m offer from PSG for them

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
Yes, I think that we were seeing our third alternative setup here against Palace (325 with a defensive base).

In my mind, the first setup is closest to 22/23, with Rice coming in for Xhaka and the rest remaining as is. Here Zinchenko is a midfielder playing as a defender who inverts into midfield. Timber would have slotted in as LB as well, and I think Kiwior can also play that role, however that moves to our second and third setups.

Our second and third setups are the 3-1-6 and 3-2-5 attacking shapes with 4 defenders, which is based on Partey starting at RB and inverting into midfield, and Tomiyasu or defender at LB. We either form a diamond or a box depending on the quality of the opposition. The former 316 are for "weaker teams" and the latter is for more sturdy low block teams, like Palace.

There's more to come I feel, because we have dribblers who can come in as well (Trossard, Nelson, Smith Rowe ). It would be interesting to see how we adapt our system to take advantage of their ability in tight spaces.

We just need to grind results now, while we are developing our systems. They will all be needed for the second half of the season, along with good fitness.

Last edited:

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
It's been two games. They haven't looked amazing but neither Mount nor Havertz have put in a disasterclass as bad as Fraud Makelele's debut

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It's been two games. They haven't looked amazing but neither Mount nor Havertz have put in a disasterclass as bad as Fraud Makelele's debut
Havertz isn't the type of player who will put on a disasterclass, he'll just be useless 90% of the season, ghost in and out of games, and pop up with the odd goal or assist which will be enough for Arse fans and his German lover Zehner to try to make of case for him not being as useless as a marzipan dildo. :)

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Havertz isn't the type of player who will put on a disasterclass, he'll just be useless 90% of the season, ghost in and out of games, and pop up with the odd goal or assist which will be enough for Arse fans and his German lover Zehner to try to make of case for him not being as useless as a marzipan dildo. :)
I'm not fully convinced by him as a starter but I can see the logic behind having someone like him in the squad.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I'm not fully convinced by him as a starter but I can see the logic behind having someone like him in the squad.
Definitely, especially with CL this season. He was better vs Palace than last week and once he fully understands his role (esp defensive and when out of possession), think he'll be very useful for us. Needs to show more going forward but hopefully once he's fully settled in that will come.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
He has led Arsenal in duels won both matches and his height offers us an exit option against the press we didn’t have previously. He is still finding his way in possession but he is working his socks off and has been a valuable player.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Rice has hit the ground running. Yesterday he was very dominant and was popping up everywhere. So far so good there. Timber was looking great too. That really set us back a bit. We are still left unsure about Havertz a few games in. He has not been terrible but he seems to be a luxury so far. It doesn't look like he knows where to be. At 65 mil we wanted a starting 11 player, and he looks like a squad player. Still hope he finds his feet.

I feel like a lot of players are out of position at the moment. What is going on with Gabriel?

TopDog

Supports
Bolton
Your post history clearly reveals you have a soft spot for Arsenal and only signed up r belittle United.
I like Arsenal and have fairly decent knowledge as my best friend supports them, I also have a soft spot for Brighton and Crystal Palace.