Premier League Gameweek 26

Deery

Dreary
Very interesting comment.haha!!!... just joking mate.
Still think there’s a fragility to them and they’re forwards aren’t clinical enough. Will win the league and league cup but don’t see them winning CL or FA cup.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
They have won it 3/4 years the only time they didn't was a team that got 100 points. They have shown to be basically unbeatable unless they face a team that is also unbeatable.
And yet their dominance does not match Utd’s dominance for the majority of the premiership. You won 8 out of 11, then after a 3 year gap because of Arsenal’s invincible season or Chelsea’s unmatchable financial firepower you won 5 out of 7. What’s happening now is nothing new, it’s just that you aren’t the team running away with it and so it feels different to you, not to other fans used to dominance by certain teams, and you don’t particularly look like the team who are able to put in the kind of season to break the cycle of dominance as Liverpool did.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
And yet their dominance does not match Utd’s dominance for the majority of the premiership. You won 8 out of 11, then after a 3 year gap because of Arsenal’s invincible season or Chelsea’s unmatchable financial firepower you won 5 out of 7. What’s happening now is nothing new, it’s just that you aren’t the team running away with it and so it feels different to you, not to other fans used to dominance by certain teams, and you don’t particularly look like the team who are able to put in the kind of season to break the cycle of dominance as Liverpool did.
We rarely "ran away with it". Don't remember many seasons where the league was over and won in February for us.

ray24

Supports
Arsenal
It's a little ironic that Man Utd fans are so upset with a team dominating the PL when they have done it for years.

Hopefully the Man Utd fans will be humbled into not taking dominance of the league as some natural right of theirs. Also, it's funny to see so many Man Utd fans slagging of Pep all the time, and ignoring the fact that he's a much better coach than they think.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
We rarely "ran away with it". Don't remember many seasons where the league was over and won in February for us.
Just looking at your final season with Fergie you were 15 points ahead in late March, which is what I believe the gap is now.

croadyman

The trouble is City have been playing under no pressure at all since we drew with Everton, unfortunately this means we will never know what would have happened if they went into those tough February fixtures with a smaller lead. We got ourselves into a decent position and then just completely lost it in a matter of games and they were gone

Last edited:

manc exile

Supports
City

to be fair this dominance is different.
if city win the domestic treble again this year then they will have won 9 of the last 12 domestic trophies(prem, fa cup, league cup)
the most we ever won was in the late 90s was 5 out of 12.
the only team that has anywhere near is Liverpool who won 8 out of 12 in the early 80's

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
Still think there’s a fragility to them and they’re forwards aren’t clinical enough. Will win the league and league cup but don’t see them winning CL or FA cup.
I actually disagree about the fragility based on what we've done over a long period now...and Dias has made a hell of a difference. But I think you are spot on about our forwards not being clinical enough. My fear is that we could be punished in the really crucial games to come with the likes of Jesus and Sterling missing big chances...we shall see.

croadyman

I actually disagree about the fragility based on what we've done over a long period now...and Dias has made a hell of a difference. But I think you are spot on about our forwards not being clinical enough. My fear is that we could be punished in the really crucial games to come with the likes of Jesus and Sterling missing big chances...we shall see.
I don't see you being punished with the confidence that you are now playing with, can't help thinking if only you hadn't had all those COVID cases just before the Everton game and it got played on the 28 Dec but will never know now

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
I don't see you being punished with the confidence that you are now playing with, can't help thinking if only you hadn't had all those COVID cases just before the Everton game and it got played on the 28 Dec but will never know now
It's interesting that you mention the Everton game as their fans were really happy that the game was postponed. I remember that they had a load of injuries at that time including Richarlison, Rodriguez, Allan and DCLewin. It was actually us City fans who were disappointed that the game was called off haha!

padr81

Supports
Man City
You’re basing everything on keeping United from winning more trophies, such a city fan way of looking at it. It’s bigger picture though. It’s your bench today and your team today, just for a game against West Ham. It’s ridiculous. Where’s Nathan Ake by the way? There’s no consequence to your signings...we’re still playing Lindelof.

Your point on signings since your takeover is absolute nonsense, this is the list of signings we made from 08-13, are you seriously telling me this list would be completely different but for your takeover? (Have a look at our debt repayments in those years before we refinanced the Glazers debt and the club payed for them to own us) :-

Nick Powell
Shinji Kagawa
Robin Van Persie
Angelo Henrique
Alexander Büttner
Phil Jones
David De Gea
Ashley Young
Gabriel Obertan
Mame Biram Diouf
Chris Smalling
Javier Hernandez
Zoran Tosic
Marnick Vermijl
Bebe
Anders Lindegaard
Antonio Valencia
Michael Owen
Gabriel Obertan
Mame Biram Diouf

When SAF left we’d have been on a downward spiral, nothing to do with City.

If you seriously think Blackburn did what City have done you’re truly deluded. They were a sugar daddy club on a local level. You’re state owned to the point you can piss on fifa and FFP and cook the books to make it look like your squad wagebill is pretty much the same as everyone else’s.
My view is nothing to do with United but to do with Chelsea stopping the league becoming the Bundesliga.. it could have been you guys, could have been Liverpool (but it wasn't) so you became top dogs and because of your fanbase you would absolutely have dominated. It doesn't matter a feck it was United, you are just the club it happened to be.

You absolutely could have bought a lot of the players we ended up with. I remember you debt repayments it was exactly the kind of thing ffp should have been brought in to prevent instead of trying to keep football a closed shop.
I didn't say City put you in a downward spiral either. Put things in perspective financially Aguero went to City for £36m, David Silva cost £26m. You think United couldn't have got the cash together for players like those? Sir Alex had meetings with Nasri before he opted for us (he cost the same as Silva). Do I think you'd have signed our entire team? No. Would you have likely signed a couple over a couple of seasons? Absolutely.

The bolded part is both lies and bitter and has already been dismissed by the CAS. You either weren't born or didn't follow football during the Blackburn days because United fans were more salty about them back then, than you are about City now.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I posted the stats on running away with it before.
Uniteds average winning margin in seasons they won the Premier League is 7 pts. There biggest margin 18, smallest 1.
Citys average winning margin in seasons they've won the Premier League is 5 pts. Their biggest 19, smallest 0. Of 4 titles City have won by 0,1,2 and 19 points. So one on goal difference, one thanks to John Stones being a size 11 and not 10 and one by Stevie G falling over. Only 1 season have we run away with it, in 12 since the takeover (likely twice this season).
There is literally one season where City ran away with the league in February (potentially 2).

United have won PL titles by 18 pts, 11 pts and 10 pts x 2.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I posted the stats on running away with it before.
Uniteds average winning margin in seasons they won the Premier League is 7 pts. There biggest margin 18, smallest 1.
Citys average winning margin in seasons they've won the Premier League is 5 pts. Their biggest 19, smallest 0. Of 4 titles City have won by 0,1,2 and 19 points. So one on goal difference, one thanks to John Stones being a size 11 and not 10 and one by Stevie G falling over. Only 1 season have we run away with it, in 12 since the takeover (likely twice this season).
There is literally one season where City ran away with the league in February (potentially 2).

United have won PL titles by 18 pts, 11 pts and 10 pts x 2.
So we ran away with it once - winning by 11-10pts is usually taking it to the last 3-4 gameweeks, getting what's needed to get over the line, and the direct competitors then pretty much downing tools. You're very clearly gonna run away with it this year, and the overarching feeling as well is that you're likely going to reinforce this summer, getting Messi and/or Haaland or whoever, in a context where you have no financial constraints but other clubs are suffering financially from Covid. I just don't think it's healthy for the league and it feels hollow. It doesn't hurt like Liverpool's title* did, it just feels a little sad.

I also think comparing Utd dominance of the league to City's is skewed, given how both teams got to that position. But it's not necessarily an argument I want to get into right now, and I think most true, non deluded City fans are aware of it anyway.

But thanks for the bolded part, it's always nice to go down that memory lane.

mancan92

No its how its being won. We never got close to the points totals that are being put up by City.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
What a surprise, said nobody.

Look at that disgusting line-up. 5 at the back, with Soyuncu, Amartey and Ndidi as defenders. A midfield of choudhury and Mendy. Disgusting. There should be no reason ever to play Choudhury. Better to start with 10 men.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Leicester’s end of season implosion has started early this year, hasn’t it?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Choudhury having a rough old time tonight.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Good pass Ndidi. Big fan of him.
Seems to vary in this place from outstanding to overrated. Against Arsenal so many wondered what the fuss is all about, tonight he looks good.

He never seems to dominate games for me, unfussy and safe

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Seems to vary in this place from outstanding to overrated. Against Arsenal so many wondered what the fuss is all about, tonight he looks good.

He never seems to dominate games for me, unfussy and safe
He's a player that does his job. Simple but effective. It seems him and Tielemans have clearly defined roles. I don't mind him in midfield two as the defensive one. The second can be more attacking, whether that is Fred/McTominay/van de Beek/Pogba. One size fits all.