Premier League Gameweek 26

Bearded One

Is this the first time the big Sam is going to get relegated from the premier league?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Thought Brighton have finally cracked it, beating Liverpool and Spurs pretty convincingly a few weeks back.

Since then completely thrown away the Palace game and now keep missing penalties v West Brom. :lol:

26 points so still far from safe.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Hard to have any sympathy for Brighton when they've missed 2 penalties :lol:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Sam Johnstone in line for sone crazy fantasy points.

Also, if Welbeck had moved out the way and it hit a WBA player it would have probably been a retake.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Not really. Don't get me wrong I'd rather our current owner was not our owner, but from even before ADUG when the Thai guy bought us, I had kind of accepted that, we're owned by a and I need to choose my words careful but very likely a piece of shit who lives in the stone age. That said I don't know the man personally but I'd imagine his views fall in line with his families.

I will say I had no idea just how big the investment in the club would be other than we have a rich owner and we're not gonna be relying on hand me downs like Andy Cole, Vassell and McManaman anymore. I mean when we were bought I used to post on mancityfans.net, someone mentioned us trying to sign a top player (coulda been Berbatov), can't remember who and my response was "Yeah right, maybe we should go for the likes of Robinho too" with sarcasm, 3 weeks later we bought Robinho and it kinda dawned on me, we've got fantasy football money.

I neither love nor loathe it to be honest, it is what it is. I love City, whether we're winning trebles or scraping by in League 1, the titles feel great but so did Paul Dickov and Nicky Weaver dragging us up from near the bottom. I wouldn't say my enjoyment of City has changed but my enjoyment of sticking it to United fans and Liverpool fans I have to listen to for the first 30 years of my life absolutely has.. (ironically I quite like both teams and admire United as a club), just a section of your fanbase here in Ireland since I move here aged 6 are infuriating). Also my dad is an Irish Red as are my brothers, my mum a Stockport blue so giving it back to them 3 cnuts is always nice and the most enjoyable part of the takeover.
Fair play to you for answering. As a United fan...what has happened at your club means I don’t really care what you win. I know a lot of City fans friends and family so that probably also plays a part and I never felt we had a divine right to win things, so I don’t begrudge city fans seeing success. I wouldn’t expect a City fan to care one jot about how or why you are where you are and what you’re seeing.

croadyman

Not really. Don't get me wrong I'd rather our current owner was not our owner, but from even before ADUG when the Thai guy bought us, I had kind of accepted that, we're owned by a and I need to choose my words careful but very likely a piece of shit who lives in the stone age. That said I don't know the man personally but I'd imagine his views fall in line with his families.

I will say I had no idea just how big the investment in the club would be other than we have a rich owner and we're not gonna be relying on hand me downs like Andy Cole, Vassell and McManaman anymore. I mean when we were bought I used to post on mancityfans.net, someone mentioned us trying to sign a top player (coulda been Berbatov), can't remember who and my response was "Yeah right, maybe we should go for the likes of Robinho too" with sarcasm, 3 weeks later we bought Robinho and it kinda dawned on me, we've got fantasy football money.

I neither love nor loathe it to be honest, it is what it is. I love City, whether we're winning trebles or scraping by in League 1, the titles feel great but so did Paul Dickov and Nicky Weaver dragging us up from near the bottom. I wouldn't say my enjoyment of City has changed but my enjoyment of sticking it to United fans and Liverpool fans I have to listen to for the first 30 years of my life absolutely has.. (ironically I quite like both teams and admire United as a club), just a section of your fanbase here in Ireland since I move here aged 6 are infuriating). Also my dad is an Irish Red as are my brothers, my mum a Stockport blue so giving it back to them 3 cnuts is always nice and the most enjoyable part of the takeover.
Well you clearly know your history pre 2008 so I can at least give you some credit for that, old enough to remember the days of that 3-2 derby at Maine Road when we came back from 2-0 down after losing in Turkey on the previous Weds. I also respect the fact you don't have feelings either way about the takeover which tells me you are clearly a proper fan who hasn't just jumped on the bandwagon when you got all this money.

From my point of view I wouldn't want owners like yours ever running Utd because think it ruins the competitiveness of this great game, however I just want someone who actually cares for the club and doesn't just see it as a cash cow who they have leeched from these past 16 years. I just cannot see how we ever are going to compete again when our manager cannot even get the minimum he needs in a transfer window let alone extra squad options like a backup RB.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

You can hear it there. If you time your pause for just as the second whistle is blown you see the ball hasn't reached the keeper yet.
hmmmm possibly I don’t think it’s clear....it’s even more ridiculous the more you watch it.

acnumber9

Because it wasnt the rule 20 years ago

he then says “maybe he was offside when the ball came back to him” :lol:
It’s been the rule for as long as I remember. Teddy Sheringham had a free kick given against him for it in his Utd debut 24 years ago.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Usually when a team's results waiver so far from their metrics for a while you just know eventually things will even out and they'll get their rewards/just deserts in the end but with Brighton it genuinely feels like 'glorious defeats' are becoming part of their identity.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Brighton should have won that, for all the praise the commentators are giving WBA. Brighton missed two penalties and then the free kick fiasco.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Brighton 2020/21 will be a case study in years to come. Genuinely one of the unluckiest teams I’ve seen in the Premier League era. By all statistical metrics this season, they are easily a top half team yet they somehow manage to find a way to lose football matches. It must be infuriating to follow them at the minute.

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Brighton 2020/21 will be a case study in years to come. Genuinely one of the unluckiest teams I’ve seen in the Premier League era. By all statistical metrics this season, they are easily a top half team yet they somehow manager to find a way to lose football matches. It must be infuriating to follow them at the minute.
They need a prolific striker. They create plenty of chances, but are incredibly wasteful.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Well you clearly know your history pre 2008 so I can at least give you some credit for that, old enough to remember the days of that 3-2 derby at Maine Road when we came back from 2-0 down after losing in Turkey on the previous Weds. I also respect the fact you don't have feelings either way about the takeover which tells me you are clearly a proper fan who hasn't just jumped on the bandwagon when you got all this money.

From my point of view I wouldn't want owners like yours ever running Utd because think it ruins the competitiveness of this great game, however I just want someone who actually cares for the club and doesn't just see it as a cash cow who they have leeched from these past 16 years. I just cannot see how we ever are going to compete again when our manager cannot even get the minimum he needs in a transfer window let alone extra squad options like a backup RB.
See this is the thing, when you are at the top its very easy to say that, United have never been away from it and are in the position of being Man United. without first Chelsea and then City, the premier league would be the Bundesliga. I'm not saying rubbish like City/Chelsea saved the league but its no coincidence that its the only league that isn't a cakewalk for the big dogs. Sure every so often Dortmund or Atletico will pull off a title but without in particular Chelsea, United would have complete Bayern like domination over English football. Purely of their own making but the PL would be a United win 7-8 of every 10.

With regards United, You can't see it right now but United are too big not to come back, you are already getting closer. Cities investment despite what you read on here has slowed down quite significantly in the past 3 or so years and will continue to stay at maybe 2 players per season. You guys can match that, what you were lacking is a clear vision in the boardroom. You've had 4 managers since Sir Alex with very different philosophies and as such money has been wasted. Moyes to LVG was a huge cultural and football change, LVG to Jose and Jose to Ole the same. This meant a lot of manager inherited players who didn't fit the systems/ethos they were bringing it.

Pep on the other hand inherited a lot of old players and dead wood like Navas, Zabba, Clichy, Yaya etc.. but the club had a clear vision of how it wanted to play at boardroom level (even if that vision was "Be Barcelona (right down to the fruit loop shirts)) so the transition from Mancini to Pellers to Pep was smooth despite Mancini and Pep being very different managers, and also had core components like KDB, Silva already there. It was no culture shock for David Silva to transition to tiki taka, it almost felt like the 3 years under Pellegrini was preperation for Pep once the Spaniards arrived in the board room. Even with our money it takes time to implement a clear philosophy and City are now at the end of essentially 8 years all rowing in the same direction, you guys haven't had that and if you don't stick with Ole you have to make sure the new manager has similar beliefs and football philosophy (as in plays fast, direct counter attacking football based goals coming as quick as possible after turn overs). Anything else and you'll be knocking yourself back another 3 years. You guys just need more football people at the higher up levels, City are very lucky they poached Txiki and Soriano (two guys who know football and have a clear vision on how it should be played, along with knowing the right manager for the job). Its arguable that this is the first season where Pep has had to rely on Pep's players now Kompany, Silva etc.. are gone and Aguero looks on the way out.

Basically United will be back when they find consistency in the higher ups instead of being so reactionary. Liverpool are a shining example. Eventually they got their shit together and it took 5 years of building along with serious investment but they did it. If they did, so will United.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
See this is the thing, when you are at the top its very easy to say that, United have never been away from it and are in the position of being Man United. without first Chelsea and then City, the premier league would be the Bundesliga. I'm not saying rubbish like City/Chelsea saved the league but its no coincidence that its the only league that isn't a cakewalk for the big dogs. Sure every so often Dortmund or Atletico will pull off a title but without in particular Chelsea, United would have complete Bayern like domination over English football. Purely of their own making but the PL would be a United win 7-8 of every 10.

With regards United, You can't see it right now but United are too big not to come back, you are already getting closer. Cities investment despite what you read on here has slowed down quite significantly in the past 3 or so years and will continue to stay at maybe 2 players per season. You guys can match that, what you were lacking is a clear vision in the boardroom. You've had 4 managers since Sir Alex with very different philosophies and as such money has been wasted. Moyes to LVG was a huge cultural and football change, LVG to Jose and Jose to Ole the same. This meant a lot of manager inherited players who didn't fit the systems/ethos they were bringing it.

Pep on the other hand inherited a lot of old players and dead wood like Navas, Zabba, Clichy, Yaya etc.. but the club had a clear vision of how it wanted to play at boardroom level (even if that vision was "Be Barcelona (right down to the fruit loop shirts)) so the transition from Mancini to Pellers to Pep was smooth despite Mancini and Pep being very different managers, and also had core components like KDB, Silva already there. It was no culture shock for David Silva to transition to tiki taka, it almost felt like the 3 years under Pellegrini was preperation for Pep once the Spaniards arrived in the board room. Even with our money it takes time to implement a clear philosophy and City are now at the end of essentially 8 years all rowing in the same direction, you guys haven't had that and if you don't stick with Ole you have to make sure the new manager has similar beliefs and football philosophy (as in plus fast, direct counter attacking football based goals coming as quick as possible after turn overs). Anything else and you'll be knocking yourself back another 3 years. You guys just need more football people at the higher up levels, City are very lucky they poached Txiki and Soriano (two guys who know football and have a clear vision on how it should be played, along with knowing the right manager for the job). Its arguable that this is the first season where Pep has had to rely on Pep's players now Kompany, Silva etc.. are gone and Aguero looks on the way out.

Basically United will be back when they find consistency in the higher ups instead of being so reactionary. Liverpool are a shining example. Eventually they got their shit together and it took 5 years of building along with serious investment but they did it. If they did, so will United.
Weird opening. Arsenal obviously stand as the best example of a team who disrupted our winning ways and more recently Liverpool under Benitez/Rogers (never won sure but put up a good challenge).

I don't disagree that Chelsea and yourselves have made it more competitive.

Nickosaur

Brighton 2020/21 will be a case study in years to come. Genuinely one of the unluckiest teams I’ve seen in the Premier League era. By all statistical metrics this season, they are easily a top half team yet they somehow manager to find a way to lose football matches. It must be infuriating to follow them at the minute.
It's been a real problem all season. Seriously worried about relegation now. Relying on Newcastle, Fulham or Burnley to be worse in the final games. Or take the initative and actually start putting chances away, which I can't see magically happening.

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
Yeah well I collapsed with shock when the monopolies let you be bought in 2008 so there you go, also helps you can just spend your way out of trouble and don't compare it to us because we earnt the right to spend big and weren't just handed it on a plate like you lot
Oh dear...I was just complimenting you on your sense of humour.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Well this opens with a waffle of shite. Arsenal obviously stand as the best example and more recently Liverpool under Benitez/Rogers. We've never had it as easy as you seem to think.
I never said you had it easy, I said your domination would have got stronger and stronger. For all the shit about City and domination, they haven't yet come close to Uniteds 7 titles in 10 years... which is complete and utter domination on PSG, Juve, Bayern levels.

Before Chelsea you won 9 titles in 13 seasons... followed 3 years later by 5 in 7 seasons. Without City and Chelsea you would have won.. wait for it.
16 titles in 21 seasons but yeah saying you would have dominated is a waffle of shite...

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I never said you had it easy, I said your domination would have got stronger and stronger. For all the shit about City and domination, they haven't yet come close to Uniteds 7 titles in 10 years... which is complete and utter domination on PSG, Juve, Bayern levels.
Ah my mistake. Yep, perhaps you're right - we definitely enjoyed a good spell in those 10 years and then SAF seemed to relish the challenge Chelsea/yourselves presented. It helped the competitiveness of the league a lot.

I've edited my post as I was too harsh with the 'waffle of shite' remark. Please accept my apology :)

croadyman

Pep on the other hand inherited a lot of old players and dead wood like Navas, Zabba, Clichy, Yaya etc.. but the club had a clear vision of how it wanted to play at boardroom level (even if that vision was "Be Barcelona (right down to the fruit loop shirts)) so the transition from Mancini to Pellers to Pep was smooth despite Mancini and Pep being very different managers, and also had core components like KDB, Silva already there. It was no culture shock for David Silva to transition to tiki taka, it almost felt like the 3 years under Pellegrini was preperation for Pep once the Spaniards arrived in the board room. Even with our money it takes time to implement a clear philosophy and City are now at the end of essentially 8 years all rowing in the same direction, you guys haven't had that and if you don't stick with Ole you have to make sure the new manager has similar beliefs and football philosophy (as in plays fast, direct counter attacking football based goals coming as quick as possible after turn overs). Anything else and you'll be knocking yourself back another 3 years. You guys just need more football people at the higher up levels, City are very lucky they poached Txiki and Soriano (two guys who know football and have a clear vision on how it should be played, along with knowing the right manager for the job). Its arguable that this is the first season where Pep has had to rely on Pep's players now Kompany, Silva etc.. are gone and Aguero looks on the way out.

You make some very valid points but how do we ever get those football people in place at the higher levels when we have a toy story puppet for a CEO who is so ego driven and drunk with power he isn't willing to step aside for the good of this club. The trouble is he helped those yankee leeches buy this team so can't see them ever wanting to move him to the commercial side of the business. I am sure even as a rival fan you have seen the amount of clap trap articles about us appointing a Director of Football and it always come to absolutely nothing. So I am sure now you can understand why many in our fanbase are so disheartened about the direction of this club in regards to that side of things. There is also frustration from many that your manager is much more willing to adapt to change and in particular when it comes to appointing coaches that are based outside of the club.

el3mel

Brighton 2020/21 will be a case study in years to come. Genuinely one of the unluckiest teams I’ve seen in the Premier League era. By all statistical metrics this season, they are easily a top half team yet they somehow manage to find a way to lose football matches. It must be infuriating to follow them at the minute.
They're cursed. I really can't believe they're 16th in the table. Their performance should have made them at least 11-12th or something.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Ah my mistake. Yep, perhaps you're right - we definitely enjoyed a good spell in those 10 years and then SAF seemed to relish the challenge Chelsea/yourselves presented. It helped the competitiveness of the league a lot.

I've edited my post as I was too harsh with the 'waffle of shite' remark. Please accept my apology :)
Its all good buddy, I'm not saying having money pumped into the game by states is a good thing merely saying it prevented the PL from becoming predictable as Serie A. You guys were insane then and likely will be again at some stage, its more I think with your recent struggles you guys sometimes are blinded to just how good you/Sir Alex was which is a testament to how well United were run in the 90's and how great Sir Alex really was.

padr81

Supports
Man City
You make some very valid points but how do we ever get those football people in place at the higher levels when we have a toy story puppet for a CEO who is so ego driven and drunk with power he isn't willing to step aside for the good of this club. The trouble is he helped those yankee leeches buy this team so can't see them ever wanting to move him to the commercial side of the business. I am sure even as a rival fan you have seen the amount of clap trap articles about us appointing a Director of Football and it always come to absolutely nothing. So I am sure now you can understand why many in our fanbase are so disheartened about the direction of this club in regards to that side of things. There is also frustration from many that your manager is much more willing to adapt to change and in particular when it comes to appointing coaches that are based outside of the club.
Yeah dude, you need Woodward out or more importantly someone like Van Der Sar in. United through and through, friends with the manager, know each other inside out and a clear belief in how football should be played, but more importantly a football brain in the board room.

Nickosaur

They're cursed. I really can't believe they're 16th in the table. Their performance should have made them at least 11-12th or something.
If (and it really is a big fecking if right now) Brighton stay up, rumours are they would have to sell one of Lamptey, White or Bissouma in order to raise funds to buy a striker. Has to be done. With a competent striker, they are a top 10 side.