g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Premier League Gameweek 30-32

Rojofiam

Am I the only one who thought it wasn't an awful game? Kinda enjoyed the intensity and tactical battles.

Hope Arsenal go and win it now. City aren't as good as last season, and Arsenal are even stronger. Liverpool are riding their luck IMO.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Am I the only one who thought it wasn't an awful game? Kinda enjoyed the intensity and tactical battles.

Hope Arsenal go and win it now. City aren't as good as last season, and Arsenal are even stronger. Liverpool are riding their luck IMO.
Yes, you're the only one who enjoyed that.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
No there isn't :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leicester won the Premier League at one point, ffs :lol:
Yeah I'll concede that season might have been worse but you can't seriously look at the table and the performances of the teams this season and not concede that the league has been very weak.

the_cliff

People were tryna honestly argue he deserves to be called the best player in the world.

Rojofiam

Yeah I'll concede that season might have been worse but you can't seriously look at the table and the performances of the teams this season and not concede that the league has been very weak.
The league is the strongest it's ever been.

Marwood

Difficult to say that I think.

It's not a question of talent for me. It's the approach to games, the managers, how everyone sets up. Ultra low risk, keepers having so many touches etc.

I think even players look bored sometimes.

frostbite

I agree with you. Some people cannot appreciate tactical games.

For Arsenal, it was very important not to lose, because it is not only the 1 point they wouldn't earn, it is also the 3 points that City would gain. The same for City, because they expect to beat all the other teams, and Arsenal has harder schedule. So, for both teams, the draw does not damage their chances, but a loss would make things much harder.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs

For Arsenal, it was very important not to lose, because it is not only the 1 point they wouldn't earn, it is also the 3 points that City would gain. The same for City, because they can expect to beat all the other teams, and Arsenal has to play Liverpool. So, for both teams, the draw does not damage their chances, but a loss would make things much harder.
If Forest and Palace played that game no one would be calling it a great tactical battle.

Marwood

For Arsenal, it was very important not to lose, because it is not only the 1 point they wouldn't earn, it is also the 3 points that City would gain. The same for City, because they expect to beat all the other teams, and Arsenal has harder schedule. So, for both teams, the draw does not damage their chances, but a loss would make things much harder.
Or go and win the game? Arsenal had the players to do that today.

frostbite

If Forest and Palace played that game no one would be calling it a great tactical battle.
Of course. Because Forest and Palace are not trying to become the Champions. You need brains to become a champion. Sometimes you must risk, sometimes you should not, it is the difference between great managers and mediocre managers that have only one way of playing.

Rojofiam

Difficult to say that I think.

It's not a question of talent for me. It's the approach to games, the managers, how everyone sets up. Ultra low risk, keepers having so many touches etc.

I think even players look bored sometimes.
The general intensity, pace, and tactical level is miles ahead of what it was even 10 years ago, let alone 20-30 years ago.

Both teams had the chance to win it, but I wouldn't blame Arsenal for their approach today. Basically every team concedes control vs City at the Etihad. I think they'll be satisfied with their big games performances this season, as they took 4 points from both City and Liverpool this season.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Absolutely not. Weakest it has been in years. Two of the teams have acted like canon fodder every week and basically been relegated since october. A sixth placed team with performance levels and underlying stats that in a normal season would have them outside the top 10. A significantly weaker City side 3 points off top, a Liverpool side that has been basically undefeated through a injury crisis and not really looked very good through it.

The top teams, the midtable teams, and the teams fighting relegation is all significant weaker than they have been for years. This hasn't even really made it more competive away from the title race that most people expect to go down to the wire because the three fairly even teams (where two of them are much worse then they have been) are pretty much expected to win every game against the remaning 17.

In no way the strongest it has been

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
The League is the most boring it's been since the late 80s. Players have trouble stringing a few passes together.

But at least they're fit, probably why they're injured all the time on near perfect pitches and hugely protected by the referee.

And if you're not bored enough, VAR can take any remaining excitement out of the game. It's awful.

Rojofiam

Absolutely not. Weakest it has been in years. Two of the teams have acted like canon fodder every week and basically been relegated since october. A sixth placed team with performance levels and underlying stats that in a normal season would have them outside the top 10. A significantly weaker City side 3 points off top, a Liverpool side that has been basically undefeated through a injury crisis and not really looked very good through it.

The top teams, the midtable teams, and the teams fighting relegation is all significant weaker than they have been for years. This hasn't even really made it more competive away from the title race that most people expect to go down to the wire because the three fairly even teams (where two of them are much worse then they have been) are pretty much expected to win every game against the remaning 17.

In no way the strongest it has been
And what exactly do these things you listed have to do with what I said?

Marwood

The general intensity, pace, and tactical level is miles ahead of what it was even 10 years ago, let alone 20-30 years ago.
It's just not true.

I'm watching defenders and goalkeepers pass it between themselves over and over. Players going over and faking injury constantly.

How does that equal pace and intensity.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It hasn't been. Weaker than some of the recent seasons, maybe. It's still way way stronger than anything that came before barring the 2003-2009 and 2017-2023 periods. Outside those years the PL saw exactly one team of a level with these Liverpool/City/Arsenal sides, the treble winning United side of 98-2001

Rojofiam

It's just not true.

I'm watching defenders and goalkeepers pass it between themselves over and over. Players going over and faking injury constantly.

How does that equal pace and intensity.
Why are you complaining so much about the way teams build up these days? That's just one small detail and how does it mean a lower level of football anyways? Team build up from the back instead of the goalkeeper hoofing it up the pitch every time.

Just go and watch back some matches from 2004, they will look like pre-season friendlies compared to your average PL game today.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
And what exactly do these things you listed have to do with what I said?
You tell me? Considering you answered my statement with something vague without backing it up. l Because it has absolutely everything to do with my original point. The quality of the 20 teams has regressed, making it a low quality league season when you take into account the usual standard of the english premiership

Whether or not the intensity or pace is better than 10 years ago is totally irrelevant to this. How good the teams are on a consistent basis relative to each other are what matters.

And I am not saying it has been a trend, or that the Premier League is on a downward spiral which can be argued against with the evolution of football. I am saying this specific season has been terrible in terms of quality.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Are you kidding? Liverpool, City , Arsenal,Villa Spurs, united, and West Ham all fighting it out with the latter three fighting to get into Europe.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

That goal against Spurs. That penalty against City. That handball against Odegard.

I'm so happy it's all going our way. :eek:
That blatant second yellow for Konate vs Everton that was ignored, those two stone-wall penalties for Chelsea at Anfield that were ignored, that decision vs Nottingham Forest which led to the ref being demoted to the Championship after Liverpool scoring a last minute winner.

Poor little Liverpool being victimised by the big bad establishment.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Are you kidding? Liverpool, City , Arsenal,Villa Spurs, united, and West Ham all fighting it out with the latter three fighting to get into Europe.
Fighting it out for what? 3 of them are way beyond the rest of them and fighting for the title. 2 of them are significantly worse, one has improved but only to the level the other two have dipped to.

Villa is not the calibre of team performance wise that you expect from a team finishing fourth. Spurs have played some decent football, but been decimated by injuries and in a normal season would be further of top 4.

United and West Ham looks more like they are in a fight not to get Europe based on their performances every week so weird examples

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Fighting it out for what? 3 of them are way beyond the rest of them and fighting for the title. 2 of them are significantly worse, one has improved but only to the level the other two have dipped to.

Villa is not the calibre of team performance wise that you expect from a team finishing fourth. Spurs have played some decent football, but been decimated by injuries and in a normal season would be further of top 4.

United and West Ham looks more like they are in a fight not to get Europe based on their performances every week so weird examples
Crazy recency bias. Manchester United finished 3rd last season while losing 7-0 at Anfield, 6-3 to City, and getting bounced by Sevilla in EL. Newcastle finished 4th. Liverpool's away record was relegation fodder all season long and they finished a comfortable 5th. A clearly worse Arsenal side challenged for the title

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
It hasn't been. Weaker than some of the recent seasons, maybe. It's still way way stronger than anything that came before barring the 2003-2009 and 2017-2023 periods. Outside those years the PL saw exactly one team of a level with these Liverpool/City/Arsenal sides, the treble winning United side of 98-2001
It is about quality across the table, not necessarily how good the top teams are

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Crazy recency bias. Manchester United finished 3rd last season while losing 7-0 at Anfield, 6-3 to City, and getting bounced by Sevilla in EL. Newcastle finished 4th. Liverpool's away record was relegation fodder all season long and they finished a comfortable 5th. A clearly worse Arsenal side challenged for the title
I thought last season was weak too. I think this one is weaker

Marwood

I
Why are you complaining so much about the way teams build up these days? That's just one small detail and how does it mean a lower level of football anyways? Team build up from the back instead of the goalkeeper hoofing it up the pitch every time.

Just go and watch back some matches from 2004, they will look like pre-season friendlies compared to your average PL game today.
When you say so much, you mean two or three posts?

I've not said lower level but pace and intensity is definitely not an accurate description of football today.

Tactical, safe and tidy maybe.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It is about quality across the table, not necessarily how good the top teams are
Yes, and the quality across the table is one of the best the PL has ever seen. It's even still higher than some recent seasons, such as 19/20. And outside the 05/06 to 09/10 seasons, it's not even comparable with everything else that came before 16/17. Compared to this season, the 90s averaged Championship quality(it's an exaggeration, but not a big one)

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Yes, and the quality across the table is one of the best the PL has ever seen. It's even still higher than some recent seasons, such as 19/20. And outside the 05/06 to 09/10 seasons, it's not even comparable with everything else that came before 16/17. Compared to this season, the 90s averaged Championship quality(it's an exaggeration, but not a big one)
You will never make me agree with this, and you probably won't agree with me either so let's just call it a day and hope we see two quality CL quarter-finals in Madrid and Manchester;)

Rojofiam

You will never make me agree with this, and you probably won't agree with me either so let's just call it a day and hope we see two quality CL quarter-finals in Madrid and Manchester;)
It's your own manager, Pep, who raised the floor so high and I understand it seems boring and robotic to a lot of people, I won't even try to argue that. But it's nevertheless a higher level than before.

When Ange said "I'm just copying Pep" he wasn't joking. Almost every manager is doing that these days.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool

Not really weird examples when Europe is 1-6. 5th spot is going to get a CL spot whilst 6th will get a Europa spot. The 6th spot( united) still have a chance at 5th while West Ham still have a chance at 6th.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

If you want rah rah end to end action in your games, yes it was boring

The actions both teams took to cancel each other were excellent, if you're into that. Normally I am, but today I was hungover

Also, I fancy Arsenal to beat Bayern now. They are an excellent defensive unit.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
More to the point, they are the better team. Experience counts for a lot in these games though, and arsenal have very little of it

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Not really weird examples when Europe is 1-6. 5th spot is going to get a CL spot whilst 6th will get a Europa spot. The 6th spot( united) still have a chance at 5th while West Ham still have a chance at 6th.
Yeah but the teams occupying the spots are currently much worse quality wise than what you expect from teams occupying these sports. Of course West Ham and Man United are weird examples

Beckham77

The current day Premier League is sterile and boring. Give me 90's/early 00's anyday. Maverick #10's who smoked 40 a day capable of banging in worldies and getting fans off their seats with moments of skill and bravery. Proper strikers battering CB's all game etc.

Today's crop of super athletes only interested in running around like pressing obsessed headless chickens does nothing for me. A lot of the off the cuff joy has been sucked out of players by coaches too afraid of losing control of the ball.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
More to the point, they are the better team. Experience counts for a lot in these games though, and arsenal have very little of it
This year they've shown a maturity beyond their years and lack of CL experience. Normally I'd be skeptical about their lack of experience despite their form, but I've seen enough, they're the real deal.

Rojofiam

If you want rah rah end to end action in your games, yes it was boring

The actions both teams took to cancel each other were excellent, if you're into that. Normally I am, but today I was hungover

As @giorno said, their lack of of experience could hurt them. Porto was a great experience for them IMO, but still, only Jesus, Zinchenko and Havertz went deep in the CL in their careers before, unless I'm forgetting someone.

The first game being at home might be ideal for them, though, and I'd agree with the bookmakers that they are slight favourites of the tie.