Premier League Gameweek 4

georgipep

scoring goals for manchester united is no more valuable than scoring goals for other clubs, especially if you don't win anything. James was largely a sub at United. he's barely had two years of prem football. and he lost the final.

Zaha has been a competent premier league player for years. You're wrong.
If you think scoring for Palace is the same as scoring for Manchester United when it comes to how successful a player is....I don't even know what to say. Why do you think players move to higher profile clubs? And, btw, Manchester United is, probably, the highest profile club in the world.

TsuWave

If you think scoring for Palace is the same as scoring for Manchester United when it comes to how successful a player is....I don't even know what to say. Why do you think players move to higher profile clubs? And, btw, Manchester United is, probably, the highest profile club in the world.
1. goals for United don’t count more than goals for other clubs
2. Players move to higher profiler clubs for monetary reasons and because it improves their chances of winning trophies. Pull out Dan James’ trophy haul.
3. I don’t know which measurements you’re using but there are many that show United is not the highest/biggest. Certainly not sporting achievements

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Souness was spot on about how a goal scorer can mask a poor performance. We were so profligate last season, we almost had to play exceptionally well defensively or create a bucket load to win games. It's comforting to know we have an excellent number 9 who can just put chances away.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I agree. The atmosphere was atrocious mind and I don't think it was unreasonable to point that out. Nor did it warrant the childish and bizarre response about OT.

"I know you are, I said you are, so what am I'

Took me back to school :lol:
No issues with the atmosphere post, to be honest. Chelsea fans were noting that on twitter too.
The atmosphere was shit - for me that's pretty close to an objective fact. Don't see how anyone could have issues with that being pointed out!

More broadly, I feel like many oppos on here run into issues when they try to deny things that are (at least more or less) objectively true - there are great discussions to be had though if you have a moderately thick skin and are willing to express an opinion.

georgipep

1. goals for United don’t count more than goals for other clubs
2. Players move to higher profiler clubs for monetary reasons and because it improves their chances of winning trophies. Pull out Dan James’ trophy haul.
3. I don’t know which measurements you’re using but there are many that show United is not the highest/biggest. Certainly not sporting achievements
1. Going by that logic, goals for my boyhood second division Eastern European country club are equally valuable as goals for Manchester United. Who knew?!
2. Again, James played in a European final. Something Zaha might not be able to brag about when his career is over.
3. ... Global popularity, for one.

TsuWave

1. Going by that logic, goals for my boyhood second division Eastern European country club are equally valuable as goals for Manchester United. Who knew?!
2. Again, James played in a European final. Something Zaha might not be able to brag about when his career is over.
3. ... Global popularity, for one.
1. are you always this obtuse or you're doing specifically for this occasion? your boyhood club and manchester united are not part of the same division/tier in football
2. playing in an european final does not translate to having a better career
3. united is popular. whoohoop.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
does anyone know of a site where you can check fixture data? I swear we seem to play more Monday/Midweek games than anyone else. Felt like last season we were playing during the week most of the time.

Eplel

I have a very good feeling about Sneeds taking points off the scousers today.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
United wouldn't do that. No slight on Chelsea but perhaps i just don't get the way you operate.
You've got Greenwood but despite that brought big in the two positions he likes to play in!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
You've got Greenwood but despite that brought big in the two positions he likes to play in!
He's started every game so far this season in fairness.

TheReligion

Abusive
Disagree. Ronaldo is 36 and Greenwood will learn alot from him. Sancho is for the right wing and despite Greenwood often playing that side United view him primarily as a number 9.

Great for him to have Ronaldo and Cavani to learn from whilst not being of an age to block his development. He's being managed perfectly in my opinion.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Elliott again!!?! Wow. Surprised by that midfield. Testing both Hendo AND Keita.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Criminal to not start James in a game like this. Overrated fraud of a manager.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
How you feeling going into this one? Leeds to play into your guys hands as they always do mostly against top opposition?
They gave us two tough games last season so I’m expecting similar. I think we can get at them through set pieces though.

I do feel better having Van Dijk and Matip back.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
How you feeling going into this one? Leeds to play into your guys hands as they always do mostly against top opposition?
It's a myth that they play into hands of opposition. Their home record against top 4 is brilliant.

SirAnderson

It's a myth that they play into hands of opposition. Their home record against top 4 is brilliant.
It's not a myth. It may not be all the time, but it happens.
They play their game regardless of opposition, sometimes it works, as you mentioned, they got some scalps against the big teams, but sometimes it plays into the top teams hands, as we seen with our game with them last season and even first game this season.

SirAnderson

They gave us two tough games last season so I’m expecting similar. I think we can get at them through set pieces though.

I do feel better having Van Dijk and Matip back.
Would have been interesting for Brazilian FA got their way, you guys would have been affected the most. Hope for a cracking game. Not sure I should watch though :wenger:

big rons sovereign

It's gonna be the usual story. Leeds will come out fighting, Liverpool will get the same old lucky bullshit with Leeds hitting the post a couple of times, inexplicable offside decisions and goals dissalowed for a pigeon being near the pitch etc. Nil nil at half time and klopp will on the phone to the fa threatening to take his ball home.
Cue the Salah falling down show in the 2nd half where they'll eventually get a soft pen and 2 Leeds players will be sent off for it.
After that it's an easy 2-0 followed by the frothy wankfest on how great they are.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
It's gonna be the usual story. Leeds will come out fighting, Liverpool will get the same old lucky bullshit with Leeds hitting the post a couple of times, inexplicable offside decisions and goals dissalowed for a pigeon being near the pitch etc. Nil nil at half time and klopp will on the phone to the fa threatening to take his ball home.
Cue the Salah falling down show in the 2nd half where they'll eventually get a soft pen and 2 Leeds players will be sent off for it.
After that it's an easy 2-0 followed by the frothy wankfest on how great they are.
You stole that from pre 2013 RAWK didn’t you?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It's not a myth. It may not be all the time, but it happens.
They play their game regardless of opposition, sometimes it works, as you mentioned, they got some scalps against the big teams, but sometimes it plays into the top teams hands, as we seen with our game with them last season and even first game this season.
Except that it hasn't happened till now. No top 4 teams has won at Elland Road last season. We won at OT and we drew away. So, yeah it's a myth atleast until now.

Now,don't blame me if Liverpool thrash them today :nervous:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The 4-3 at the start of last season was probably the most entertaining game of the whole season.

(Hope I haven't cursed this into a 0-0 or a 2-0 Liverpool)

SirAnderson

Except that it hasn't happened till now. No top 4 teams has won at Elland Road last season. We won at OT and we drew away. So, yeah it's a myth atleast until now.

Now,don't blame me if Liverpool thrash them today :nervous:
I was not talking about home or away. I was talking about their style of play, which is the same regardless of opposition...leading to 6-2, and 5-1 results like with us, but also can get scalps like against City winning 2-1.
So again, it is well known Biesla sticks to his formation and tactics regardless and while it has given them the free flowing attacking style, it does at times play into oppositions hands, top 4 or not.

But thanks, now they definitely going to get thrashed against Liverpool :lol:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
1. are you always this obtuse or you're doing specifically for this occasion? your boyhood club and manchester united are not part of the same division/tier in football
2. playing in an european final does not translate to having a better career
3. united is popular. whoohoop.

1. Neither is Crystal Palace and Manchester United :lol: One is a middling Premier League team that occasionally sees relegation or relegation struggle. The other is one of the biggest sports teams in the world with a stadium with a max capacity of 76 000 and sells out every matchweek (pre-corona). Crystal Palace has a capacity of 26000 and is a significantly lesser club with a lesser heritage.

2. Achievements tend to define careers. In fact, achievements is one of the definitions of having a career in the first place.

3. Manchester United is one of the top10 biggest football clubs in the world (no rank assosciated). Crystal Palace (to use one example) slots in around 150. Most professional footballers very much care about reaching the higher echelons of their sport. Scoring at the Stretford End in front of 76 thousand roaring football fans tends to put a bigger impact on a player than a home game at Selhurst park. The two aren't comparable clubs. The only thing they have in comparison is that they play in the same football league.

You're arguing that nothing matters unless you win, which is frankly a little bit depressing. Learn to enjoy the journey.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
How many fouls will Thiago get away with today?
One armed robbery of the flagship store at the stadium, two assault and battery on security at the stadium, two karate kicks at the ref and one 30meter offside to score a goal.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
If leeds go all out like against us it’ll be an easy Liverpool win.

not expecting anything other than that to happen.