Premier League terminate contract with Chinese television company PPTV.

Deery

Dreary
Didn’t know where to post this, quite a lot of money to lose £500m. I wonder if it will have an effect on transfers or wages?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Didn’t know where to post this, quite a lot of money to lose £500m. I wonder if it will have an effect on transfers or wages?

Apparently they witheld £160m in payments so the PL was already losing money off them.

Number32

I guess They only want to pay with RMB. Their economic experts have told us, that is the only way to fight Trump.

MichaelRed

Damn, when the news of this possibly collapsing came out a while ago I saw an article that showed a breakdown of how much it would impact each club, including the withheld £160m payment but now I can't find that information again :( Hope this doesn't impact on a Sancho deal.

Deery

Dreary
Works out at about £8.333m per team over 3 years, still quite a bit of money to lose for smaller sides.

Champagne Football

It's a loss but people should stop doing business with China for the time being. They are stealing land and territory from their neighbours in Asia now as their neighbours battle the virus. They are trying to claim chunks of India belong to them, and are claiming most of the sea around their Asian neighbours that clearly does not belong to them. The Chinese Communist party is as toxic and corrupt as it gets and are responsible for the virus by not implementing enough safety standards in their labs.

Anyways i'd say most of China is getting the games free through illegal streaming sites anyways, so they are probably realizing that there's no need to pay for it now.

CG1010

Why are people mentioning moral ground? What moral ground would require PL to decide it won't broadcast its sports into China.. if it was about blocking investments or advertising from Chinese Government, then it would be different. Why deprive Chinese people of the sports?

Of course this is financial dispute I am sure it would be solved or the rights would be re-bid.

flappyjay

This will be for financial reasons rather than some kind of moral stand.
Yes of course.i remember the NBA and NBA superstars like LeBron turning a blind eye too. Theres is too much money over there. Hurt their money that's when they will act.

TheLord

Does anyone know if illegal streaming of football matches is possible in China, with the 'great Chinese firewall' thing?
If no, then surely someone else will pick up a new broadcasting deal.

I am sure there are at least a few Chinese people here unless football forums are also banned in China!

Last edited:

flappyjay

Does anyone know if illegal streaming of football matches is possible in China, with the 'great Chinese firewall' thing?
If no, then surely another broadcaster will pick up a new broadcasting deal.

I am sure there are at least a few Chinese people here unless football forums are also banned in China!
Yeah I feel like they wouldn't have canceled it without another deal in the horizon.

SwedishFish

Suspect that a new deal will fall into place, it's simply too big of a market for it not to happen.

Sad Chris

If no, then surely someone else will pick up a new broadcasting deal.

It‘s not a problem to use a VPN here and stream anything you like. And no, the Caf is not banned.
It's a loss but people should stop doing business with China for the time being. They are stealing land and territory from their neighbours in Asia now as their neighbours battle the virus. They are trying to claim chunks of India belong to them, and are claiming most of the sea around their Asian neighbours that clearly does not belong to them. The Chinese Communist party is as toxic and corrupt as it gets and are responsible for the virus by not implementing enough safety standards in their labs.

Anyways i'd say most of China is getting the games free through illegal streaming sites anyways, so they are probably realizing that there's no need to pay for it now.
Not quite sure where you get your information from. PPTV is great and so cheap that it‘s not worth the hassle of looking for streams. Also had English commentary options. Only downside is that most PL, CL and EL matches kick off between 11pm and 3am. Don‘t think that many people get up in the middle of the night to watch a live match.

I‘m not going to bother replying to the rest of your post. If you open a thread and add more than just a few common platitudes then I might add to the conversation.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
No big surprise really given the global covid economic crisis. Deal was negotiated right at the top of the market. Could also partly be CCP applying pressure to PPTV, not being happy with UK government about Huawei etc.

New deal will be agreed but expect it to be smaller. Outlook for all football clubs finances not good to put it mildly.

Daonico

So basically they are the same as the UK through its history... gotcha

Anyway, you can easily find ilegal streaming anywhere, not only in China, but tv rights are still sold for a great amount of money...
same happens with games, movies and tv series... if you provide a good service at a good price, people will buy it anyway, otherwise, they will turn to piracy.

Amerifan

COVID hit, the games stopped, and the broadcaster withheld payment. Seems like a spat that will be resolved eventually, though possibly at a new (lower) figure.

Champagne Football

So basically they are the same as the UK through its history... gotcha

Anyway, you can easily find ilegal streaming anywhere, not only in China, but tv rights are still sold for a great amount of money...
same happens with games, movies and tv series... if you provide a good service at a good price, people will buy it anyway, otherwise, they will turn to piracy.
I think in this day in age the world has become a lot smaller, therefor it's easier to have a better international understanding of what is OK and what is not. I don't think you can compare these times to what happened in medieval times to be honest. I don't think it would be possible for the USA to decide they own Vancouver tomorrow and simply grab it without warning. I'm not saying the EU and USA governments are saints by any means, but China is taking the piss right now with their foreign and domestic bully policies, and it will cost them bigtime.

Daonico

I think in this day in age the world has become a lot smaller, therefor it's easier to have a better international understanding of what is OK and what is not. I don't think you can compare these times to what happened in medieval times to be honest. I don't think it would be possible for the USA to decide they own Vancouver tomorrow and simply grab it without warning. I'm not saying the EU and USA governments are saints by any means, but China is taking the piss right now with their foreign and domestic bully policies, and it will cost them bigtime.
I know i was stretching it a bit, but my idea was to point out that this kind of moral high grounds often depends on the point from where you look at it. The UK has invaded most territories in the world, and it is not limited to medieval times, even in modern times Argentina continues to "fight" for the ownership of the falklands/malvinas.
I am trying to say UK is evil, nor China is a saint, but the "powerfuls" have always done stuff like that. If you think a multinational big company from EU or USA is nice because they are from "over here", you haven't been paying attention haha.

Again, just saying that this things most of the time depends on where one is standing.

Monks_United

I know i was stretching it a bit, but my idea was to point out that this kind of moral high grounds often depends on the point from where you look at it. The UK has invaded most territories in the world, and it is not limited to medieval times, even in modern times Argentina continues to "fight" for the ownership of the falklands/malvinas.
I am trying to say UK is evil, nor China is a saint, but the "powerfuls" have always done stuff like that. If you think a multinational big company from EU or USA is nice because they are from "over here", you haven't been paying attention haha.

Again, just saying that this things most of the time depends on where one is standing.
The British were wrong then and China is wrong now. One doesn't negate the other. Also, you can be wrong at one point in time and be fine 100 years later. We can't go into the history of morality because I'm sure every country and kingdom has done abhorrent stuff. Just that China is doing it now.

Reactions: Jippy

RedDevil@84

Misleading title.

PL has not cut off any ties with China.
PPTV is a private company run by a group based out of Cayman Islands.

And some people are already posting about a moral win and stuff.

Daonico

The British were wrong then and China is wrong now. One doesn't negate the other. Also, you can be wrong at one point in time and be fine 100 years later. We can't go into the history of morality because I'm sure every country and kingdom has done abhorrent stuff. Just that China is doing it now.
The other user basically said PL shouldn't do business with chinese companies because Chinese government is "evil" basically... To me, that is even xenophobic against Chinese.
I am just pointing out, that to me, that moral highground makes no sense... and I am not talking about 100 years ago either.

But I better drop this here anyway, I have no intention to antagonize anyone, have a nice day.

LucasXXII

So terminating contract with a company from other countries is just terminating contract with that company, while terminating contract with a Chinese company (which has feck all to do with the CCP except being subject to law and regulations like all other companies) is called "terminate contract with China". :houllier:

If this is not proof that Yellow Peril is deeply ingrained in people's mind then I don't know what is.

LucasXXII

The other user basically said PL shouldn't do business with chinese companies because Chinese government is "evil" basically... To me, that is even xenophobic against Chinese.
I am just pointing out, that to me, that moral highground makes no sense... and I am not talking about 100 years ago either.

But I better drop this here anyway, I have no intention to antagonize anyone, have a nice day.
Seen it all on these forums.

How bizarre is it that China is somehow a big bad empire trying to devour the world when its last war was almost half a century ago, whereas the US has been at peace for a mere 21 years since its inception?

Deep down people just want China to do things like USA and the west do so that they can penetrate the country at will. China doesn't want any US army headquarters in its territory, and that alone is making the US hard to sleep at night.

Deery

Dreary
So terminating contract with a company from other countries is just terminating contract with that company, while terminating contract with a Chinese company (which has feck all to do with the CCP except being subject to law and regulations like all other companies) is called "terminate contract with China". :houllier:

If this is not proof that Yellow Peril is deeply ingrained in people's mind then I don't know what is.
Do you want the title changed that bad?

RedDevil@84

Do you want the tittle changed that bad?
It isn't just the title.

Replies like "Good move" and "How will China react" and people calling it a morality related move., are further proof. Such loose talk, which seems harmless, is a good contributor for prejudice against a country/people (almost similar to xenophobia), in people's minds.

Deery

Dreary
It isn't just the title.

Replies like "Good move" and "How will China react" and people calling it a morality related move., are further proof. Such loose talk, which seems harmless, is a good contributor for prejudice against a country/people (almost similar to xenophobia), in people's minds.
Well it wasn’t my intention I have changed it now and I am sorry for any offence caused.