Premier League to Launch Hall Of Fame

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
https://www.premierleague.com/news/1624710

The Premier League has revealed plans to launch its official Hall of Fame, which will recognise and celebrate the exceptional skill and talent of players who have graced the competition since its inception in 1992.

Membership of the Premier League Hall of Fame will be the highest individual honour awarded to players by the League.

The first two inductees to have their careers commemorated in the Premier League Hall of Fame will be revealed on Thursday 19 March.

Fan vote
A shortlist of nominees will also be announced at the same time, with fans invited to vote to help select the additional former players to join the Premier League Hall of Fame 2020.

"Since 1992, the Premier League has been home to world-class players who have defined generations and provided us with compelling football season after season," Premier League Chief Executive Richard Masters said.

"A place in the Premier League Hall of Fame is reserved for the very best. It will be an occasion for our fans around the world to look back over the years and help us celebrate some truly exceptional playing careers."
Who gets in yours barring the obvious lot?

Will there be a minimum criteria to become an inductee?

Last edited:

LInkash

We've had too top many players that I'm sure we won't get fair representation relative to our success.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
First should be SAF and second might be Wenger.

If it's players alone then Shearer.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Shearer and Giggs should be the first 2 entered. Most PL goals scored and most seasons played, from the first season all the way until the 2010’s.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Hope it's with pictures and Gerrard is pictured as he slips because that's the most memorable moment this cnut has ever had here.

Havak

Pokemon master
I think the first criteria should be that the player is retired, so, for example while Cristiano would eventually be a shoe-in to most people, he wouldn't get in until a few more years down the line when he's stopped playing.

I don't necessarily believe you need to have won the Premier League to be inducted, as players like Steven Gerrard and Matt Le Tissier would players I'd suggest at some point.

My thoughts on the first two are actually Shearer and Henry. Two of the highest goalscorers, club legends, both won the title, and especially in Henry's case he was probably the best player in the world at his peak. However, if we include manager's I'd be looking at Sir Alex first and if a Man Utd player was to be the first one inducted, it'd probably be Giggs or Cantona.They should definitely be in the first 'batch' so to speak.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Should be reserved for the absolute best of the best who have created and shaped the landscape of the PL throughout the years.

For Liverpool, only Gerrard should get in. Utd will be heavily represented given the amount of titles you've won and the players who've stayed with you throughout all those lucrative years.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Shearer and Giggs should be the first 2 entered. Most PL goals scored and most seasons played, from the first season all the way until the 2010’s.
While he should be in as one of the first inductees obviously, Shearer retired in '06 and isn't even top 25 in PL appearances.

TsuWave

Ronaldo has to make it. Only player to win ballon d’or whilst playing in the prem

Member 39557

I wonder who will be the first sky sports guest pundit to have the caption Premier League Hall Of Famer.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
As Basil Fawlty might say, awful transatlantic tripe.

Giggs had better be one of the first in.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Don't like the idea much what's the point? You could name at least 20 players who have to be in there maybe more. And it's not like they need the recognition.

Lynty

Giggs
Shearer
Vieira
Schmeichel
Henry
Lampard
Cole
Kolo Toure
Terry (unfortunately)
Cech
Ferdinand
Rooney
van Persie

David Silva and Aguero once they retire

red4ever 79

Hope it doesnt become an extensive list of every Tom Dick and Harry. Notable members off the top of my head would be
Managers - Sir Alex and Wenger
Players - Giggs/Shearer/Henry
Mascots - Fred the red and Lingard

LordNinio

As much as I'd love him to be, I'd be very surprised if Eric is first up. Given how much he courted controversy.

The Kung Fu kick will discount him in my opinion.

Red_Aaron

First 2 should really be fergie and giggs but I imagine they'll want to avoid a full on utd love in and will go with shearer instead

LordNinio

First 2 should really be fergie and giggs but I imagine they'll want to avoid a full on utd love in and will go with shearer instead
I think this seems the most likely outcome, if managers are included, which they should be, it is hard to look past Giggs and Fergie.

But like you say, I think they'll avoid a United lock out

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Don't like the idea much what's the point? You could name at least 20 players who have to be in there maybe more. And it's not like they need the recognition.
it adds to the prestige and reputation of the Premier League. Its actually a very solid idea. People will be super curious every year who the new inductees are going to be. News articles, fan attention. Absolutely everything you want on the league.

So the point is all the above.