Premier League Winter Break

saivet

Surprised there's not a thread on this already.

AlwaysRed66

What a load of rubbish if true. I have serious doubts about a winter break improving anything, but if there is going to be one taking it in January would be the answer, instead of a couple of weeks in Feb. As for the nonsense about removing replays from 5th round & playing them in midweek. It seems to be the constant idea from the powers to be to keep diluting the FA Cup until it is irrelevant. Not any care for the small clubs, always to the rich & powerful. Harking back to the Feb mini break. Isn't this what WBA were on when their players were borrowing a taxi in the early hours. Obviously the rest did them good.

SirAF

Ageist
It would have made more sense to have the break at th beginning of January, but I’ll take this! It’s far far overdue.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I bet all the clubs go to mini tours to China, USA or Mid eastern countries for extra money during this period.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Scrap the double legged LC semis and all FA cup replays.

Then divide the league in two random groups of 10 teams in the middle of January.

Group A: Play in week 1, break in week 2.
Group B: Break in week 1, play in week 2.

So both groups get a full weekend off (14 days between games). The break doesn't feel that long because it isn't simultaneously for all teams.

The TV companies probably won't like games being scrapped. To make up for it I'd take two games from the 3pm kick offs and put them on certain Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Not ideal for fans but they could reduce the travelling impact by having local games that aren't big rivalries (United-Burnley, Arsenal-Palace, West Ham-Watford etc).

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Just scrap the League Cup (can't keep up with what it's called these day) and the problem is solved
Don't think I'd be in favour of that. Most teams don't play a first choice side anyway until the latter stages. If happily scrap the two leg semi final. But you're only losing one game.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I agree in principle to a break but it’s unfair on smaller teams who take the bigger teams to replay and get more gate money - money which can in some cases mean survival for the club

Revan

Assumptionman
Excellent idea IMO. With EPL clubs becoming better, this might actually even help them in Europe. For once, EPL takes the interest of the big clubs and help them.

Revan

Assumptionman
I agree in principle to a break but it’s unfair on smaller teams who take the bigger teams to replay and get more gate money - money which can in some cases mean survival for the club
Fair point, but it could be easily fixed by making the home team whichever team is lower in the hierarchy (random if both teams play in the same league).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I thought the problem was the 10 odd games players are hurled into during the festive season. A break in February seems a bit pointless.

Paul_Scholes18

Don't think it is needed. Teams rotate anyway a bit and so this will not help or change much.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What has been needed for years is the flexibity in scheduling- both from the PL and tv companies. Too many games are scheduled 2 days before or after a CL tie. It’s not right to punish those teams trying to promote the English game.

Trizy

Wouldn't it make more sense to reduce the Christmas periods? Or at least have the break right after the busy fixtures.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not massively a fan of 5 games 1 week and 5 another but it's a step in the right direction

Redphantom

Supports
Liverpool FC
Can't you just see the FA inserting another meaningless England friendly within this period. Hey they've got chairmen to pay.

Nedved

Of course they do. How many times we have heard that EPL teams suck in Europe cause they don't have a winter break?!
Yeah, I’ll never forget how this was used as an argument when Juve defeated City home and away in the CL. Before Christmas. :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
You will still get replays for smaller clubs in 3rd and 4th round....for now.

Rochdale getting a draw to Spurs is quite rare and I'm sure they've made decent money anyway from getting to the fifth round.

Anyway I support a winter break but agree the timing of it is a bit odd, would've been better early January so gives all teams a breather after the xmas period.

pascell

I think they've been clever to put it in February. If they'd have put it when Spanish/French/German teams have their winter break, those teams would then probably take part in some form of Elite Super League knockout tournament.

Phil

I love that it's in February and not over Christmas/New Years where there's feck all else to do

AlwaysRed66

Can't you just see the FA inserting another meaningless England friendly within this period. Hey they've got chairmen to pay.
If we got rid of all the tedious National friendly games there would be tons of space to take a rest. Must take over a month each season.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
How does this fit into when the Qatar World Cup comes round?

acnumber9

Fair point, but it could be easily fixed by making the home team whichever team is lower in the hierarchy (random if both teams play in the same league).
That wouldn’t help. The small teams get more money from playing away to big teams usually.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I've always thought they should do something like that. Divide the Prem into two groups of 10 teams during that period

Weekend 20 - Groups A (10) and B (10) play
Weekend 21 - Group A (10) plays
Weekend 22 - Group B (10) plays
Weekend 23 - Groups A and B play

Everyone get's a 13 day break and there are no gaps in the football calendar.

The bit about the FA Cup 5th round being mid-week is crap though

Revan

Assumptionman
That wouldn’t help. The small teams get more money from playing away to big teams usually.
Then do it the other way around. Or better, get extra 1% of EPL TV rights and send to the other leagues.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Long overdue and will bring us in line with rest of europe.

RedStarUnited

Excellent, right before the CL resumes too. About time the league started helping the PL clubs in that regard.
How is this excelent in regards to CL? If it happened this year, Tottenham would have gone in to their game with Juve after not playing a competitive game in 2 weeks.

Classical Mechanic

How is this excelent in regards to CL? If it happened this year, Tottenham would have gone in to their game with Juve after not playing a competitive game in 2 weeks.
2 weeks rest won’t make you fall off the edge of a cliff, at that stage of the season it will be a welcome break. In the past the FA have refused to let teams move their Sunday fixtures to Saturday when they have a CL game in the week.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
One thing is for sure, a break will make no difference to the National team. They’ll still be shite...except now they’ll be shite without the excuse of not having a winter break and being overplayed.